It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi GOG!
Nope, not an urgent demand or anything, just curiosity: why there's no linux tarball for Among the Sleep?
I truly believe that's the first time I see this, regarding a linux title.
The thing is that I'll test this baby on 2 different machines, and one of these is specially slow these days, so gog installers are "hiccuping" there :P
And the tarballs you guys provide, yummy, they're so convenient and great. Love 'em!

Thanks!
Post edited January 21, 2015 by vicklemos
vicklemos: Hi GOG!
Nope, not an urgent demand or anything, just curiosity: why there's no linux tarball for Among the Sleep?
The thing is that I'll test this baby on 2 different machines, and one of these is specially slow these days, so gog installers are "hiccuping" there :P
And the tarballs you guys provide, yummy, they're so convenient and great. Love 'em!

Thanks!
Deb files can be extracted like normal archives to a folder of your choice. It's not as convenient as tarballs but I hope it helps your issue a bit :-)

Thanks!
You mean this one? gog_among_the_sleep_1.0.0.2.tar.gz

Usually our tarballs are treated as patches so when you look in the Linux section of your game's downloads you'll see two links: one for a DEB and the other for the tarball. Since this Linux game only has the tarball, it's put in the DEB's place for display purposes :)

Thanks!
JudasIscariot: You mean this one? gog_among_the_sleep_1.0.0.2.tar.gz

Usually our tarballs are treated as patches so when you look in the Linux section of your game's downloads you'll see two links: one for a DEB and the other for the tarball. Since this Linux game only has the tarball, it's put in the DEB's place for display purposes :)
...or, to put it more technically, their database is configured such that:
1. Every OS-Language combo must have exactly one "installer"
2. There's no field where they can type a custom title for the link to the installer

Perfectly sensible in the days when they designed it, but now dated and constraining. This is why current best practice for web development is to rely heavily on automated testing and schema migration frameworks so you can rapidly adapt your site without fear of breaking something. (But, naturally, retrofitting a test suite onto a legacy codebase is painful, so I fully understand why GOG is stuck with their "bug of the week" workflow.)

Thanks!
JudasIscariot: You mean this one? gog_among_the_sleep_1.0.0.2.tar.gz

Perfect!
Thanks a lot! I'l download it as soon as I can. Fast support, as usual :D
Hi, I've bought 3 games today that already have Linux versions on Steam but unfortunately not on GOG:
FEZ
Volgarr The Viking
The Last Door: Collector's Edition

My obvious question is: Will GOG make Linux versions of these and other games in the same situation available at some point? (and if not, why? it's not like they appeared on GOG only yesterday)
awx: Hi, I've bought 3 games today that already have Linux versions on Steam but unfortunately not on GOG:
FEZ
Volgarr The Viking

My obvious question is: Will GOG make Linux versions of these and other games in the same situation available at some point? (and if not, why? it's not like they appeared on GOG only yesterday)
They're getting all the Linux versions they can but it takes time, especially if there is legal stuff involved. They might have to renew a contract to distribute the Linux version, not to mention the packaging and testing they do. They've added a lot of Linux versions to existing games in the catalog already. I'm waiting for some of those that are not here yet before purchasing.
I believe in one of the posts a GOG employee mentioned that they are required to sign some documents to start distributing Linux versions.

It takes time but they will come :-)
Thanks, that sounds reassuring. I prefer to buy games on GOG if I have the choice (we all do) and would hate to have to resort to Steam just to get a Linux version. I usually wait for it before buying, but since they were on sale, I didn't hesitate. Can't really complain, I guess. :)
I understand it takes a lot of effort and appreciate it.
Brutal Legend is affected by the same XFS issue like Grim Fandango was.
Ganni1987: I believe in one of the posts a GOG employee mentioned that they are required to sign some documents to start distributing Linux versions.

It takes time but they will come :-)
Almost 200 linux games in less than a year; that's a strong number :)
And most of these are hand-picked, ranging from old classics, indie gems, AAA ones... we gotta have a linux sale sometime :P
awx: Hi, I've bought 3 games today that already have Linux versions on Steam but unfortunately not on GOG:
FEZ
Volgarr The Viking

Thanks, updated my list...
SStefania: We're finally able to show our Linux community some love.
Can you please also add Linux to the list of platforms here? https://www.gog.com/indie

Being listed as "other" doesn't look serious.
SStefania: We're finally able to show our Linux community some love.
shmerl: Can you please also add Linux to the list of platforms here? https://www.gog.com/indie

Being listed as "other" doesn't look serious.
This part of the website is going to be rebuilt in a few months, so we will make sure Linux is listed there properly in the new version.
Currently please just specify Linux in the description, the person who mainly evaluates and responds to the submissions will notice this :)
You guys should really consider bundling Timidity alongside DosBox for your Linux games. The quality of Timidity's MIDI playback compared to DosBox's renderer is like night and day.