It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Maybe I should warn people here. The kernel stopped updating itself on my Linux Mint laptop. I realised in a fortnight but others may not realise for years that is happening to them. Not a good thing. A quick search informs me that I am not the only one who has this problem.

So, it is not that it does not change to newer kernel like from 5.4 to 5.10, as Mint never did that for me at least, but that it does not get the small bug and security fixes, eg from 5.4.80 to 5.4.81.
Post edited February 25, 2022 by Themken
Themken: Maybe I should warn people here. The kernel stopped updating itself on my Linux Mint laptop. I realised in a fortnight but others may not realise for years that is happening to them. Not a good thing. A quick search informs me that I am not the only one who has this problem.

So, it is not that it does not change to newer kernel like from 5.4 to 5.10, as Mint never did that for me at least, but that it does not get the small bug and security fixes, eg from 5.4.80 to 5.4.81.
Well, Linux Mint is not a rolling release distro. Maybe your version has reached its "End of Life".
This is not a problem per se. You can manually upgrade to a newer version (of the distro) to regain updates.

Or, in case of nVidia drivers, this can be beneficial, as a stable unchanging kernel version eases manual driver upgrade process (and if your distro does not update anymore, there is no fear of some automatic update breaking! :) ).

Oh, and if the information security is an issue, then… a PC in question shall never be connected to the Internet. At all. Maybe even placed in a room outfitted with electro-magnetic signal jammers on power lines and wire nets (Faraday cages) on windows (actual ones, not OS). Sad but true.
high rated
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1495670845334822912

There's no official GOG support for SteamDeck. But since the device has an open architecture, as we understand, you can install Windows and as such also run GOG games.

So from "we do absolute minimum about linux on GOG" we went straight into "we are totally incompetent and don't even understand basics about that platform any more, so instead we will carelessly toss harmful advice around".

Great progress GOG *clap* *clap*.
high rated
ped7g: https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1495670845334822912

There's no official GOG support for SteamDeck. But since the device has an open architecture, as we understand, you can install Windows and as such also run GOG games.

So from "we do absolute minimum about linux on GOG" we went straight into "we are totally incompetent and don't even understand basics about that platform any more, so instead we will carelessly toss harmful advice around".

Yeah, that answer makes zero sense. Support for Steam Deck implies more than simply an OS. It's support for controllers and the rest of the hardware integration.

GOG could just say - we don't have plans for Deck support at present. Not give some pointless and completely wrong "install Windows" suggestion.

And personally, I'd prefer GOG to improve their desktop Linux support before Deck if anything. It's far from perfect as it is.
low rated

waaaahhhhh

shmerl: Yeah, that answer makes zero sense. Support for Steam Deck implies more than simply an OS. It's support for controllers and the rest of the hardware integration.

GOG could just say - we don't have plans for Deck support at present. Not give some pointless and completely wrong "install Windows" suggestion.

And personally, I'd prefer GOG to improve their desktop Linux support before Deck if anything. It's far from perfect as it is.
i agree with this, the GOG needs to improve the Linux support
I noticed that half life 1 and 2 are native on steam according to the protondb website. Does anyone know how did valve do this? I doubt they had native versions back then correct?
LU2004: I noticed that half life 1 and 2 are native on steam according to the protondb website. Does anyone know how did valve do this? I doubt they had native versions back then correct?
If they still had the source code it can have been comparatively easy depending on what resources the game uses.
LU2004: I noticed that half life 1 and 2 are native on steam according to the protondb website. Does anyone know how did valve do this? I doubt they had native versions back then correct?
Themken: If they still had the source code it can have been comparatively easy depending on what resources the game uses.
can you elaborate on that?
low rated

shmerl: Yeah, that answer makes zero sense. Support for Steam Deck implies more than simply an OS. It's support for controllers and the rest of the hardware integration.

This is an a issue because there has been no support for IOS since pre Nov. 2021 between IOS and Microsoft and Apple. It's not a GoG issue they can fix at them moment.
I am an Xbox Insider, Office Insider, Windows Insider, Google Developer, who gangrenated a code that granted me a copywrite that could grant a global copywrite license via a third party, but I need help developing the standards and I need help in my real life. I don't have anyone "that I know" because everyone and I don't understand anyone / they don't understand me, and I don't know how to talk to people.
Post edited May 01, 2022 by Xixth_Ankh
yes, they ported engine to linux and mac in somewhere 201x and then released update
has anyone gotten heroes of might and magic 3 working on linux? And which install process did you use incase?
kboykowboy: has anyone gotten heroes of might and magic 3 working on linux? And which install process did you use incase?
No luck, according to this:
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1518-GOGcom__Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_3_Complete.html
Post edited May 22, 2022 by TheDudeLebowski
kboykowboy: has anyone gotten heroes of might and magic 3 working on linux? And which install process did you use incase?
Wine version 7.0
Using a x64 Wine prefix
Winecfg set to emulate Windows 10

Command ran for the installation:
wine "setup_heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_4.0_(28740).exe"
Once the game was installed, I went to its installation folder ($HOME/.wine/drive_c/GOG Games/HoMM 3 Complete/) and ran the following command:
wine start "Launch Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete.lnk"
Seems to be running without issues, but I'll keep testing it for a little longer, just in case.

Correction: winecfg was set to emulate Windows 7, but I didn't notice any issues after changing to Windows 10.
Worth noting I didn't try to reinstall it after changing the winecfg settings.
Post edited May 22, 2022 by _Auster_
_Auster_: Wine version 7.0
Using a x64 Wine prefix
Winecfg set to emulate Windows 10

Command ran for the installation:

wine "setup_heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_4.0_(28740).exe"
_Auster_: Once the game was installed, I went to its installation folder ($HOME/.wine/drive_c/GOG Games/HoMM 3 Complete/) and ran the following command:

wine start "Launch Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete.lnk"
_Auster_: Seems to be running without issues, but I'll keep testing it for a little longer, just in case.

Correction: winecfg was set to emulate Windows 7, but I didn't notice any issues after changing to Windows 10.
Worth noting I didn't try to reinstall it after changing the winecfg settings.
Could you also post this in HoMM forums, please?