It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pheace: From what I remember Homeworld was very mission based, correct? That really put me off to the series back when. Of course, I could be completely mistaken ...
Crosmando: Yes it's an RTS, but with a surprisingly good story in the single-player campaign.
Thanks, always keep hearing it's a great game, but it seems it's just not my kind of game.
Pheace: From what I remember Homeworld was very mission based, correct? That really put me off to the series back when. Of course, I could be completely mistaken ...
Crosmando: Yes it's an RTS, but with a surprisingly good story in the single-player campaign.
Indeed it did!

I remember first getting Homeworld 1 in the mail in it's original big box. I got it through the mail by means of Columbia House, but the video game side of their business, not the music. So I don't think I really paid much for it.

When I revved it up I nearly fell in love instantly. I've always loved space settings, but this was out of this world. I couldn't get away. I played the game until I beat it, which when thinking back might've been one whole sitting (I hardly moved for a week!).

The story was incredible out of my eyes, and I remember being very sad and empathetic at the beginning due to the turn of events (don't want to spoil it if someone here doesn't know it).

But I found the story to be just as far reaching as it's gameplay and missions, not to mention it was the first game I ever played where you could truly go up, down, or anywhere in between.
Sigh....

Randy Pitchfork is hanging on Borderland franchise balls to stay relevant in the video game industry. But their other games are awful and Randy.... I don't trust him anymore. He's a marketer and his mouth can sell games. But seriously he need to remember that even he tried to throw the blame to others when the IPs flop badly we still remember his BS before the game was released.
Yes, it was. It's been so long since I played it, I don't recall if it had a mission editor, and I'm not into multiplayer, so I don't recall if it supported that or not. A remake could definitely benefit from being able to support both features.

I remember that the mod community made add-on packs for "Star Wars", "Robotech", etc., themes, which added some replay value, but you were still playing the same storyline, just with a different look.

DKapple: O.K., I do remember reading bits and pieces about the "Aliens" game -- just hadn't made the connection that it was the same developer. Nuts -- my confidence that they can make a faithful DRM-free Win7-compatible port of HW and HW2 just took a big hit. Thanks for the links, BTW.
Zacron: Have you ever played the amazing Borderlands 1 OR 2? Gearbox. I have complete faith that they can do whatever they want, as long as they take their time and release it when it's ready.
Sorry, no -- heard of it, but never played.
Post edited September 28, 2013 by DKapple
DKapple: Yes, it was. It's been so long since I played it, I don't recall if it had a mission editor, and I'm not into multiplayer, so I don't recall if it supported that or not. A remake could definitely benefit from being able to support both features.

I remember that the mod community made add-on packs for "Star Wars", "Robotech", etc., themes, which added some replay value, but you were still playing the same storyline, just with a different look.

Zacron: Have you ever played the amazing Borderlands 1 OR 2? Gearbox. I have complete faith that they can do whatever they want, as long as they take their time and release it when it's ready.
DKapple: Sorry, no -- heard of it, but never played.
Not to mention the Brothers in Arms series (well, can't speak for Hell's Highway).

Then again, that's quite an elderly title by now.

I 'unno how to feel about this, the original material's already there, so hopefully this'll be a difficult one to screw up.
Gearbox = no DRM free ( aka GOG version ) release
http://gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1160/homeworld-remastered-collection-collector-s-edition-now-available-for-pre-order
I just got a preorder ad on steam, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Any news on the quality of the remaster, or if GOG is getting a piece of the action?
Yeah, I'd also like a little more information. As excited as I am about it, I'm also quite nervous. I'm worried they're going to "polish" in the wrong ways and tarnish the soul of the thing. HW 1 and 2 are sacred, goddammit! Don't fuck this up or... there will be frowns. Lots of them.
I don't know if people are still interested in this but in the latest Co-Optional Podcast, somewhere in those three hours, they talk about the Homeworld release, and apparently it is indeed just a visual and audio HD remake.

Apparently they got the original artists to redraw all the in game artwork. They also contacted the original audio artist and got the masters for all the soundtracks. The only change is apparently to the multiplayer where you will be able to play the Homeworld 1 races against the Homeworld 2 races. Who knows how the intend to balance that out, because that wasn't addressed in the podcast.

Gearbox is saying all the right things, but we'll see.
Post edited February 01, 2015 by MadalinStroe
MadalinStroe: Gearbox is saying all the right things, but we'll see.
IMHO Not "all" the right things
like...
"It's coming to GOG!" & meaning it would be a right thing
MadalinStroe: Gearbox is saying all the right things, but we'll see.
Rusty_Gunn: IMHO Not "all" the right things
like...
"It's coming to GOG!" & meaning it would be a right thing
That was never said, and it's sad. But what is being said, about the changes made to the game, sounds good.
First thing to notice: no Cataclysm included....
wolfsrain: First thing to notice: no Cataclysm included....
Cataclysm is the finest of the three, no doubt.

And good luck to anyone who wants to rent this steam only.

I don't know how Gog missed out on this hopefully it will come...

Here is my copy, found whilst idling down a street, coming across an old abandoned desktop/keyboard and assorted junk with the attached gem hidden amongst other rubbish!

Last time I checked this it still ran fine on XP and the 111 page manual is gold dust! Ah, the things people throw away!
Attachments:
homeworld.jpg (355 Kb)
lazydog:
They didn't miss out. Gearbox does not like GOG, or anything that isn't attached at the hip to Steam.

If a developer/publisher doesn't like GOG, there's not really much GOG can do to not "miss out" on it.

For more examples, see Bethesda/Zenimax or Microsoft.