It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This may not be the proper place for this thread, but I just stumbled across this and had to share it.

"Gearbox releasing remakes of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 for Windows PC" (Jul 20, 2013)
(http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/20/4540132/gearbox-releasing-remakes-of-homeworld-and-homeworld-2-for-windows-pc)

The article is fairly short, and no release dates are given, but still -- this is by far the best news about classic games I've heard in a long time.
DKapple: This may not be the proper place for this thread, but I just stumbled across this and had to share it.

"Gearbox releasing remakes of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 for Windows PC" (Jul 20, 2013)
(http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/20/4540132/gearbox-releasing-remakes-of-homeworld-and-homeworld-2-for-windows-pc)

The article is fairly short, and no release dates are given, but still -- this is by far the best news about classic games I've heard in a long time.
My excitement will depend on how they do it - if they maintain the source material but beef it up a bit and modernize the UI a little (not much needed in that regard IMO) then it will be good, but if they decide to go and reimagine any parts of it (in the name of modern audiences) then I think it will be a no go for me.
Gearbox. Hmmm... no i don't think so. Don't trust them with anything anymore. Not till they redeem themselves somehow.
Sure, it's Gearbox, but I'm still hopeful...
I'm not familiar with Gearbox -- I don't have any games by them -- so I don't know what it is about them that has everyone doubting their ability to pull this off. I'd like to think that they would simply do a straight-up conversion to Win7 (perhaps with updated models/textures) but leave the story and gameplay intact. What I DON'T want to see is a revisioning, like I suspect Disney is going to do with the "Star Wars" franchise (aside from the fact that I don't care about Disney or "Star Wars"). Yeah, Gearbox owns "Homeworld" now, and it's theirs to do with as they see fit, but I'm hoping that they simply market a faithful updated version BEFORE they go off and totally ruin the franchise.
DKapple: I'm not familiar with Gearbox -- I don't have any games by them -- so I don't know what it is about them that has everyone doubting their ability to pull this off. I'd like to think that they would simply do a straight-up conversion to Win7 (perhaps with updated models/textures) but leave the story and gameplay intact. What I DON'T want to see is a revisioning, like I suspect Disney is going to do with the "Star Wars" franchise (aside from the fact that I don't care about Disney or "Star Wars"). Yeah, Gearbox owns "Homeworld" now, and it's theirs to do with as they see fit, but I'm hoping that they simply market a faithful updated version BEFORE they go off and totally ruin the franchise.
It's worse then you think. There's quite a few articles you'd have to read up on, here are some:

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Article 4

Article 5

Article 6

Duke Nukem Forever Review

Aliens: Colonial Marines Review

Edit: To sum it up, from making 2 shitty games based on popular franchises, to accusations of intentionally lying to customers & games media and even embezzlement, my trust for this company is right around 'none'.
Post edited September 25, 2013 by user deleted
Point Man: snip
aww thankyou you saved me writing it up! and you provided links! i owe you a drink!

but hay homeworld eh :)
Post edited September 25, 2013 by chezybezy
Point Man: SNIP
I actually greatly enjoyed DNF, TBH. I think they had too many driving sections, and I thought it was too short, but the engine was strong, and I encountered no glitches. It played very well on my PC, dated though it may be.

That being said, I am still very much looking forward to the remakes of Homeworld. These are supposed to be HD Remakes that work on Modern PCs. That means that the base game should be mainly the same game we know and love. At least we have that.
DKapple: I'm not familiar with Gearbox -- I don't have any games by them -- so I don't know what it is about them that has everyone doubting their ability to pull this off. I'd like to think that they would simply do a straight-up conversion to Win7 (perhaps with updated models/textures) but leave the story and gameplay intact. What I DON'T want to see is a revisioning, like I suspect Disney is going to do with the "Star Wars" franchise (aside from the fact that I don't care about Disney or "Star Wars"). Yeah, Gearbox owns "Homeworld" now, and it's theirs to do with as they see fit, but I'm hoping that they simply market a faithful updated version BEFORE they go off and totally ruin the franchise.
Point Man: It's worse then you think. There's quite a few articles you'd have to read up on, here are some:

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3

Article 4

Article 5

Article 6

Duke Nukem Forever Review

Aliens: Colonial Marines Review

Edit: To sum it up, from making 2 shitty games based on popular franchises, to accusations of intentionally lying to customers & games media and even embezzlement, my trust for this company is right around 'none'.
Those are 2 games that were in Development hell, they weren't going to be good and really any company would lie about it, it's marketing. DNF's Development had so many problems that would make Daikatana's Developement look stable. Good games don't come out of that, Gearbox was dumb to buy the rights to that, and like hell they aren't going to market it. The same goes to Aliens Colonial Marines, the game was supposed to come out last Gen. No business would come out and say, Don't buy our product. They will do what they can to make it look better than it is. Heck they did make 2 good games with Borderlands 1 & 2, You may not like them but they are exelent games. So it's not so bad. If they keep things simple with the remakes they should be really good.
Remakes? WHat about releasing the original games drm free????
O.K., I do remember reading bits and pieces about the "Aliens" game -- just hadn't made the connection that it was the same developer. Nuts -- my confidence that they can make a faithful DRM-free Win7-compatible port of HW and HW2 just took a big hit. Thanks for the links, BTW.

Forgot to add this follow-up article:

"Gearbox lends Homeworld IP to spiritual successor Hardware: Shipbreakers developer"
(http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/1/4684456/gearbox-homeworld-ip-hardware-shipbreakers)

Hopeful quote from the article: "Plans to release classic and high-definition versions of the first two Homeworld games are still in the works"
Post edited September 25, 2013 by DKapple
DKapple: O.K., I do remember reading bits and pieces about the "Aliens" game -- just hadn't made the connection that it was the same developer. Nuts -- my confidence that they can make a faithful DRM-free Win7-compatible port of HW and HW2 just took a big hit. Thanks for the links, BTW.
Have you ever played the amazing Borderlands 1 OR 2? Gearbox. I have complete faith that they can do whatever they want, as long as they take their time and release it when it's ready.
I feel that DNF got a bum rap. I wasn't anything Earth-shattering, but it was an enjoyable enough few hours. It just collapsed under the weight of expectation. If it had been an unknown game, it still would have gotten a crappy reception, but I don't think it would have been anywhere near as bad.

Also, let''s not forget that the motivation for Gearbox picking up DNF was probably to get the ip so that they can make more Duke games once the fuss over this one dies down.
From what I remember Homeworld was very mission based, correct? That really put me off to the series back when. Of course, I could be completely mistaken ...
Pheace: From what I remember Homeworld was very mission based, correct? That really put me off to the series back when. Of course, I could be completely mistaken ...
Yes it's an RTS, but with a surprisingly good story in the single-player campaign.