It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

LJChronx: Oh, ok thanks. I dont have any of the games. What do guys think of the bundle? (aside from it being all Steam games, which I know most GoGers frown on.)
Not sure that's true. :) It's true that one is more likely to find Steam averse gamers here in the GOG forums than on Steam forums or elsewhere online likely, because they're more likely to strongly favour DRM-free and GOG is king of DRM-free, but even if we have the largest population in numbers or percentage of gamers here that dislike or avoid Steam completely for any reason, I would be willing to bet that there are more Steam-friendly or Steam-tolerant gamers who also use GOG as a distribution platform and use GOG forums than people here who refuse to have anything to do with Steam. There is no way to measure this scientifically of course, but if anyone pays attention to the various popular threads where the most people hang out in the forums here, including this thread it is clear to see that the overwhelming majority of game deals being discussed are Steam related deals. Likewise the majority of games given away as spare keys kicking around and similar appear to be Steam codes more often than any other distribution platforms.

What we have here on GOG more than anything is more like a highly vocal minority, but I think most people would agree that the majority of PC gamers out there, whether here on GOG or not, even if they prefer GOG strongly, are varying degrees of ok or at least comfortable with Steam. Personally all things being equal for a given game, I'd much rather own it on GOG than Steam, but if multiplayer is non-existent on GOG for the game but available on Steam and I want multiplayer option, or some other benefit exists on Steam, or even if the price is just so right that it is extremely hard to turn down a Steam game, I'll go ahead and get the Steam game deal/bundle whatever like it seems the majority of others here are ok with doing also (or we wouldn't all have so many extra Steam codes kicking around all the time). :o)

There's no right or wrong outright about it though, just what is right for the individual, whether in a majority or a minority and whether or not it is measurable either way. ;) What's funny though is that this thread itself is practically dominated by Steam deals and almost never will have a GOG deal show up because well... that wouldn't make much sense anyway since there will be other official threads for any GOG deals. :)
LJChronx: Oh, ok thanks. I dont have any of the games. What do guys think of the bundle? (aside from it being all Steam games, which I know most GoGers frown on.)
skeletonbow: Not sure that's true. :)
We'll thats kind of how I feel. I like how full functioned Steam is and the automatic updates to the games. DRM-free is nice, but its not the only thing I look for in a game purchase.
triock: Nope, was and still is 20% off for me (have both Witcher games). :p
Oh, you and your exception. :P
HypersomniacLive: Pretty sure the difference in the discount percentage has got to do something with that. ;-)
Yeah, I know. ;)

Anyway, it's €39.99 (€31.99 with discount)
skeletonbow: Not sure that's true. :) It's true that one is more likely to find Steam averse gamers here in the GOG forums than on Steam forums or elsewhere online likely, because they're more likely to strongly favour DRM-free and GOG is king of DRM-free, but even if we have the largest population in numbers or percentage of gamers here that dislike or avoid Steam completely for any reason, I would be willing to bet that there are more Steam-friendly or Steam-tolerant gamers who also use GOG as a distribution platform and use GOG forums than people here who refuse to have anything to do with Steam. There is no way to measure this scientifically of course, but if anyone pays attention to the various popular threads where the most people hang out in the forums here, including this thread it is clear to see that the overwhelming majority of game deals being discussed are Steam related deals. Likewise the majority of games given away as spare keys kicking around and similar appear to be Steam codes more often than any other distribution platforms.

What we have here on GOG more than anything is more like a highly vocal minority, but I think most people would agree that the majority of PC gamers out there, whether here on GOG or not, even if they prefer GOG strongly, are varying degrees of ok or at least comfortable with Steam. Personally all things being equal for a given game, I'd much rather own it on GOG than Steam, but if multiplayer is non-existent on GOG for the game but available on Steam and I want multiplayer option, or some other benefit exists on Steam, or even if the price is just so right that it is extremely hard to turn down a Steam game, I'll go ahead and get the Steam game deal/bundle whatever like it seems the majority of others here are ok with doing also (or we wouldn't all have so many extra Steam codes kicking around all the time). :o)

There's no right or wrong outright about it though, just what is right for the individual, whether in a majority or a minority and whether or not it is measurable either way. ;) What's funny though is that this thread itself is practically dominated by Steam deals and almost never will have a GOG deal show up because well... that wouldn't make much sense anyway since there will be other official threads for any GOG deals. :)
A reasonable post about Steam? I didn't think that was allowed here!
;)
triock: Anyway, it's €39.99 (€31.99 with discount)
In the games section it shows me only a 22% discount, but in the Witcher 3 page shows the 27%.

Anyway, I like triock discount because here the price are €59.99 (€43.79 with 27% discount).

Edit: and, €1.00 back in store credit.
Post edited February 26, 2015 by siulebuo
I have a doubt about Steam, and this seems like as good as place as any to put it given the recent discussion. I've never bought a Steam game or even had a Steam account, so my question is this: at which point do you have to download and install the client? Can you have an account and collect games there without installing it?
Tannath: I have a doubt about Steam, and this seems like as good as place as any to put it given the recent discussion. I've never bought a Steam game or even had a Steam account, so my question is this: at which point do you have to download and install the client? Can you have an account and collect games there without installing it?
You have to download and install the client when you want to download your games.
Tannath: I have a doubt about Steam, and this seems like as good as place as any to put it given the recent discussion. I've never bought a Steam game or even had a Steam account, so my question is this: at which point do you have to download and install the client? Can you have an account and collect games there without installing it?
Grargar: You have to download and install the client when you want to download your games.
So I collect/own games but not play them without the client, is that it?
Tannath: So I collect/own games but not play them without the client, is that it?
You can buy games directly from Steam without the need of the client, but if you want to activate a Steam key from another source (an official reseller like Humble), then you need to activate it through the client.

Yes, it's impossible to play your games without running the client at least once (some games can be run later without the client, but they are the minority).
Tannath: So I collect/own games but not play them without the client, is that it?
Grargar: You can buy games directly from Steam without the need of the client, but if you want to activate a Steam key from another source (an official reseller like Humble), then you need to activate it through the client.
So no buying games in bundles without the client? Sucks...
Tannath: So no buying games in bundles without the client? Sucks...
You can buy without the client from Humble Bundle, but Humble doesn't automatically add your game to your Steam account; it only gives you a Steam key and said Steam key can only be redeemed through the client.
Tannath: So no buying games in bundles without the client? Sucks...
Grargar: You can buy without the client from Humble Bundle, but Humble doesn't automatically add your game to your Steam account; it only gives you a Steam key and said Steam key can only be redeemed through the client.
Which adds up to the same. If I don't redeem it I don't own it, and since those keys are often time limited...
Tannath: Which adds up to the same. If I don't redeem it I don't own it, and since those keys are often time limited...
They aren't. I still have some 2-years-old Steam keys.
Grargar: You can buy without the client from Humble Bundle, but Humble doesn't automatically add your game to your Steam account; it only gives you a Steam key and said Steam key can only be redeemed through the client.
Tannath: Which adds up to the same. If I don't redeem it I don't own it, and since those keys are often time limited...
Often, the humble bundles also come with drm-free versions. And the keys are not time limited.
Basically, the games on this list can be run without having the steam client running. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam
Everything else needs to be launched from the steam client.
Edit: To download them, you DO need the client. Steam is a distribution channel, after all.
Post edited February 26, 2015 by Luisfius