It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Profanity: Are you an avid racing game player? I'm wondering, because I don't mind racing games and I'd like to play a good one, but the only ones I've really played are NFS: Underground and that was a long time ago and Flatout 2, which is really just getting crazy high speeds and crashing into shit. For me, at least.

In other words, is a Dirt 2 cool for a person who doesn't have much experience with racing games and hasn't played one in a while?
Actually I am, but I like my racing games bit on the arcade side. Like Dirt 2, which is lots of fun. I remember playing the old Colin McRae games and that Richard Burns Rally game back in the day, but just didn't enjoy when those started to get more and more serious.
obscurelyric: The old Tomb Raiders has some really awe-inspiring vistas - the new one looks like Far Cry (hardly a work of art, but some people like that, I guess).
I don't know anything about the new Tomb Raider but this is really condescending.
dirtyharry50: Both Dirt 2 and Dirt Showdown offer playable demos on Steam. I'd suggest trying each to see which type of Dirt game you like better for openers.
It has been so long since I played demos, since I'm usually much more decisive which games I want or not.

So I did just that and downloaded the Dirt 2 demo. But whenever I hit play, nothing happens (other than those first time installs that executed, well, on the first time), the client just redirects me to the Dirt 2 store page. wth

Edit: apparently that's the "expected" behavior, according to some people, and that manually installing and logging into GfWL fixes the problem. All this hassle for a demo? Yeah, screw that.
Post edited April 30, 2013 by retsuseiba
dirtyharry50: Both Dirt 2 and Dirt Showdown offer playable demos on Steam. I'd suggest trying each to see which type of Dirt game you like better for openers.
retsuseiba: It has been so long since I played demos, since I'm usually much more decisive which games I want or not.

So I did just that and downloaded the Dirt 2 demo. But whenever I hit play, nothing happens (other than those first time installs that executed, well, on the first time), the client just redirects me to the Dirt 2 store page. wth
Sometimes demos will open up their web page in your browser on exit. I get the feeling this demo is crashing on you and then doing the next thing... opening up the web page, since it just exited.

In any case, not a good sign it is going to run well on your system. :(

You might try the standard stuff to troubleshoot a game not working: get latest video driver, no other programs running, disable anti-virus, etc.

Or, if all is well generally and you couldn't be bothered, maybe try the other game instead? Dirt 2 is an older game at this point so maybe that's an issue if you are running Windows 8 maybe? I don't know but I wouldn't buy something if the demo crashes personally, however good it is said to be.

Actually, I just checked and I guess Dirt 2 isn't that old. It was released in December of 2009.
Post edited April 30, 2013 by dirtyharry50
retsuseiba: It has been so long since I played demos, since I'm usually much more decisive which games I want or not.

Edit: apparently that's the "expected" behavior, according to some people, and that manually installing and logging into GfWL fixes the problem. All this hassle for a demo? Yeah, screw that.
I just saw your edit... unfortunately, I find that needs to be standard procedure with any GFWL title, namely that you need to download and install the current client before even installing or at least before attempting to run the GFWL game in question. Once you do that though in my experience it works just fine and actually does offer a nice matchmaking feature for multiplayer. Of course, it is yet one more login to remember...

I've recently been surprised to find GFWL has not been any trouble at all with three games I have installed but I did install the most current client beforehand based on past sour experience. I forgot to mention too, I needed to turn my firewall off temporarily to install the foolish thing but was then able to turn it back on and it worked fine. Gotta love how Microsoft's game software needs you to turn off Microsoft's firewall just to install. lol

Anyway, I found that stuff small potatoes once I understood how to deal with it and all is good now. I wouldn't let it keep you from enjoying a great game. Honestly, it is no big deal to install it one time. After that, set it to login automatically and you never need to use it/see it other than you'll see a little message it is logging in on game start and you'll get a nice matchmaking system in the game for multiplayer.

I am in a minority here but I don't mind it now that I know how to install the bugger.
Post edited April 30, 2013 by dirtyharry50
So Retrovirus is on sale on Steam. Any opinions on it?

Looking at some videos gave me a wave of nostalgia for Descent and Forsaken, though it looks to be a bit slower.
merow: Hey!

About the nuuvem-sale which will end in 5hours: The Tropico 4 Gold is the Collectors Edition means not just T4+MT, they include also all of the other dlcs!!!

Indie Game Stand now presents: Beware Planet Earth. Nice game!
the igs game is a pretty dire tower defense game.was in a indiebundle.org bundle.

tropic 4.mt is pretty much the only good dlc that's worth it for the game.
retsuseiba: 66% off on Dirt Franchise at Steam.

I'm somewhat interested in Dirt, but not to the point of buying the whole Dirt. So here I come to ask which Dirt would you recommend to me. People seem to agree that Dirt 2 and 3 are better than Showdown, but on the other hand those two come with both GfWL and Securom, and this sort of thing always puts me off.

But then again, my sudden interest in these games come from the complete lack of racers in my Steam library. I mean, should I give one of those Dirt's a try, or wait for a sale on some other, worthier, racing game?
kalmis666: Not gotten around playing Dirt 3 yet, but my understanding that they have added bit more non-rally nonsense on to it. Dirt 2 is awesome, played it just few months ago actually.
My understanding is that Dirt 3 has more rally than 2. I haven't played much of 2, though, just demos.
Is it possible to play Dirt 2 without creating a GFWL account? Using only an offline profile? At least on Red Faction: Guerrilla, that works pretty well.
Drakhyrr: Is it possible to play Dirt 2 without creating a GFWL account? Using only an offline profile? At least on Red Faction: Guerrilla, that works pretty well.
I'm pretty sure that works on everything, I own a lot of GFWL games and always make offline local profiles. Only time I ran into trouble was when I wanted Bioshock 2's DLC.

I don't have any Dirt games though.
Anyone here do the

TC: Ghost Recon - Future Solider

thing on Gate?

I'm wondering if Gate is offering it all DRM Free (accidentally as normal) or if purchases grant U-Play codes?
retsuseiba: 66% off on Dirt Franchise at Steam.

I'm somewhat interested in Dirt, but not to the point of buying the whole Dirt. So here I come to ask which Dirt would you recommend to me. People seem to agree that Dirt 2 and 3 are better than Showdown, but on the other hand those two come with both GfWL and Securom, and this sort of thing always puts me off.

But then again, my sudden interest in these games come from the complete lack of racers in my Steam library. I mean, should I give one of those Dirt's a try, or wait for a sale on some other, worthier, racing game?
There´s a promo at this german shop - McGame.com (http://www.mcgame.com/de). Codemasters games are with 75% off, mostly are racers: F1 Race Stars, F1 2011, Race Driver: Grid, DiRT Showdown, F1 2012 and DiRT 3 (http://www.mcgame.com/de/store/game/10520023-dirt-3)
I´ve never bought there, just signed to get Prince of Persia Warriors within as freebie. But seems trustful.
carnival73: Anyone here do the

thing on Gate?
I don't know what this "thing" means, but Future Soldier definitely requires Uplay and ties itself to it.
carnival73: Anyone here do the

thing on Gate?
StingingVelvet: I don't know what this "thing" means, but Future Soldier definitely requires Uplay and ties itself to it.
Thanks for the info.

I wound up getting beer instead. lol

A bit pricey for something that hasn't had any mention.
carnival73: A bit pricey for something that hasn't had any mention.
I bought it for $10 on amazon a while back and thought the game was total garbage. Uninstalled after one mission. I don't play multiplayer though.