It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

the_bard: This is really the only bundle I'm looking at atm. Can explain to me about the key conspiracy?
The website for the group that's behind the bundle has a link to an online key reseller. The kind that sells cheap, out of region games. The kind that can get your game revoked or account banned.
the_bard: This is really the only bundle I'm looking at atm. Can explain to me about the key conspiracy?
Foxhack: The website for the group that's behind the bundle has a link to an online key reseller. The kind that sells cheap, out of region games. The kind that can get your game revoked or account banned.
I see. I still really don't understand the whole region business. Or why Origin had a Spring Sale on their European site and not in the US, but thanks.
DELETED
Post edited March 13, 2012 by CymTyr
the_bard: I see. I still really don't understand the whole region business. Or why Origin had a Spring Sale on their European site and not in the US, but thanks.
I wrote a post going into detail about the whole thing, and contacted the developers involved in the bundle about this. Hopefully they get back to me with a few comments and this clears things up for you. I'll keep any updates out of the deals thread from here on out though, and probably just make a new topic if anything interesting turns up.

http://www.backlogjourney.com/2012/03/dangers-of-being-kicked-in-face.html

In happier news and more on topic, the Origin sale is actually now active in the US, (or Canada, at least). Try checking again.
I just sent that link to Phreakindee / Lazy Game Reviews... Reviewer... blargh, over Twitter, and he retweeted it. A lot of other Youtube folk follow him so it's just a matter of time before the link gets thrown around and we get some answers.

Thanks for posting about it. :)

Edit:

Your article just got mentioned at GATT's site...

http://site.gamingallthetime.com/gamerx-stories/the-backlog-journey-spreading-rumors

And they're callin' you out.
Post edited March 13, 2012 by Foxhack
Foxhack: Your article just got mentioned at GATT's site...

http://site.gamingallthetime.com/gamerx-stories/the-backlog-journey-spreading-rumors

And they're callin' you out.
They're full of crap. Rumors? RU Steam keys are against the ToS plain and simple. But it's awesome they're bringing attention to their own faults.
PenutBrittle: They're full of crap. Rumors? RU Steam keys are against the ToS plain and simple. But it's awesome they're bringing attention to their own faults.
Yes, they're full of crap.

Also note that they've removed the link to the site. They keep accusing me of libel, and well, I just told them why it's not libel. :P
New Daily Deal on GamersGate:

Test Drive Unlimited 2 for 5 $/€ (75% off). That's a pretty nice deal. It seems that you have to be always online though - which is justified for the "Massively Open Online Racing" part, but not for any single player part, if it's present. Will have to check that.
PenutBrittle: They're full of crap. Rumors? RU Steam keys are against the ToS plain and simple. But it's awesome they're bringing attention to their own faults.
So what you are basically saying is that buying keys in one region and activating them in another (if there is NO activation restriction like obligatory VPN-usage) is violating the ToS? Would you mind to show where it is written?
I have heard many rumors about it, but up to date have not seen anything. Once again, I would be very interested to see part of the ToS addressing activating keys bought in another region that do NOT bear any restrictions in themselves (and thus by default can be activated in any country without any VPN/whatsoever other tricks).
I would even more be interested to see the part of ToS violated by exchanging gift games from different regions via Steam Gift system.
So far what I have seen is Steam keeping very quiet and selectively blind about it, which makes me somewhat unhappy, I would like more clarity. Thanks.
Post edited March 13, 2012 by ZPavelZ
ZPavelZ: So what you are basically saying is that buying keys in one region and activating them in another (if there is NO activation restriction like obligatory VPN-usage) is violating the ToS? Would you mind to show where it is written?
I have heard many rumors about it, but up to date have not seen anything. Once again, I would be very interested to see part of the ToS addressing activating keys bought in another region that do NOT bear any restrictions in themselves (and thus by default can be activated in any country without any VPN/whatsoever other tricks).
I would even more be interested to see the part of ToS violated by exchanging gift games from different regions via Steam Gift system.
So far what I have seen is Steam keeping very quiet and selectively blind about it, which makes me somewhat unhappy, I would like more clarity. Thanks.
The site gives explicit instructions to activate many of it's products using a VPN. That fact alone answers most of your post.
MonstaMunch: The site gives explicit instructions to activate many of it's products using a VPN. That fact alone answers most of your post.
I am fully aware of that, thanks. My question was about something else. Literally - ToS instructions concerning sharing games between.Did you, for instance, know that gifts shared via Steam Gifting system have very little problems in activation and seldom require any tricks like VPN?
So if I buy a videocard with Batman gift in it I'm screwing with ToS...cause the stupid game is not shown in my region... Wtf...
spinefarm: So if I buy a videocard with Batman gift in it I'm screwing with ToS...cause the stupid game is not shown in my region... Wtf...
No. As I understand it (and how it was explained to me by customer service at Gamer's Gate when I asked about buying on their .co.uk site), you're covered if they let you legally purchase it and install it without VPN or other forms of IP masking. Because at that point, the mistake is theirs for selling it to you, and they can't show that you knew you were doing anything wrong.
MonstaMunch: The site gives explicit instructions to activate many of it's products using a VPN. That fact alone answers most of your post.
ZPavelZ: I am fully aware of that, thanks. My question was about something else. Literally - ToS instructions concerning sharing games between.Did you, for instance, know that gifts shared via Steam Gifting system have very little problems in activation and seldom require any tricks like VPN?
See my response above. However, the point is these guys don't make it clear whether what you're buying is legitimate or not, and it's clear at least some of it isn't. Pointing out that they sell legitimate items as well doesn't really do much for your point.
Post edited March 13, 2012 by MonstaMunch
I get you point but still this can be looked as a fraud ... The game is not available for my region and they have every right to ban me... The stupid part is that the game actually is sold retail.
MonstaMunch: No. As I understand it (and how it was explained to me by customer service at Gamer's Gate when I asked about buying on their .co.uk site), you're covered if they let you legally purchase it and install it without VPN or other forms of IP masking. Because at that point, the mistake is theirs for selling it to you, and they can't show that you knew you were doing anything wrong.
See my response above. However, the point is these guys don't make it clear whether what you're buying is legitimate or not, and it's clear at least some of it isn't. Pointing out that they sell legitimate items as well doesn't really do much for your point.
Thanks, that was as close to the answer I wanted as I ever got.
By the way, I asked my question because of this phrase "RU Steam keys are against the ToS plain and simple." not because of the whole story with some shop that sells keys that can only be activated via VPN.
Once again, my question was NOT about whether some internet shop is legitimate or not, but about sharing games between regions in general.