It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TheWhiteRose: You pay 5 dollars just for the right to download the game. The monthly fee is 15 dollars a month. Your first month is free after that you have pay the monthly fee. I'm sure a Visa debit card will work fine; it doesn't have to be a "credit card". It could be your debit card or a Visa/American Express Giftcard. You can also buy time cards for certain amounts of time.
Thanks for the info. It says the first month's fee is covered in the initial purchase, though I guess there's no way of knowing if it will accept my Visa at the end of the first month without trying.

Edit: I see your edit about the Visa. I guess I'll just have to try it and hope for the best. It seems that some systems automatically block cards from Cambodia, or treat them as spam (gog had to do something in their system to get it to stop saying my Visa was spam, as did GG, though Steam has always been fine).
Post edited March 01, 2012 by MonstaMunch
MonstaMunch: What's the deal with this?
Standard MMORPG deal, you pay a smaller fee for a month and then they force you to pay more per month.

Don't bother. The game will be F2P soon enough.
TheWhiteRose: You pay 5 dollars just for the right to download the game. The monthly fee is 15 dollars a month. Your first month is free after that you have pay the monthly fee. I'm sure a Visa debit card will work fine; it doesn't have to be a "credit card". It could be your debit card or a Visa/American Express Giftcard. You can also buy time cards for certain amounts of time.
MonstaMunch: Thanks for the info. It says the first month's fee is covered in the initial purchase, though I guess there's no way of knowing if it will accept my Visa at the end of the first month without trying.

Edit: I see your edit about the Visa. I guess I'll just have to try it and hope for the best. It seems that some systems automatically block cards from Cambodia, or treat them as spam (gog had to do something in their system to get it to stop saying my Visa was spam, as did GG, though Steam has always been fine).
Are you comfortable at all with using Paypal? It might solve those issues.
TheWhiteRose: Are you comfortable at all with using Paypal? It might solve those issues.
Not really. I use it when I have to, but I've had some bad experiences with it. As foxhack said, the game will probably be F2P soon enough, so maybe I should just wait for that. I also have crap internet which would probably be an issue.
TheWhiteRose: Are you comfortable at all with using Paypal? It might solve those issues.
MonstaMunch: Not really. I use it when I have to, but I've had some bad experiences with it. As foxhack said, the game will probably be F2P soon enough, so maybe I should just wait for that. I also have crap internet which would probably be an issue.
I don't know of a single MMO that doesn't accept Visa Debit since CC's are relatively uncommon in the UK at least and most of us only use Visa debits...
Two points.

Rrift had a major data breach last year where hackers stole all their users financial data. I know because my card got canceled and reissued. I was very disappointed in that experience and if I were you I would be careful with any information given to Trion in the future.

Having said that, I seriously doubt Rift is going F2P anytime soon. I heard the same stories about WoW for years too. From the public data I have seen Rift remains quite profitable and so long as that is the case there is zero incentive to go F2P.

I like Rift. It's a WoW-clone but a good one, FWIW.
worlddan: I like Rift. It's a WoW-clone but a good one, FWIW.
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to try it and see. Never played WoW (or any ofhter mmorpg), so should be an interesting experience :)
worlddan: Having said that, I seriously doubt Rift is going F2P anytime soon. I heard the same stories about WoW for years too. From the public data I have seen Rift remains quite profitable and so long as that is the case there is zero incentive to go F2P.
http://www.elecplay.com/all/spotlight/rift-f2p-launches-news/

It's limited, like WOW, but it's free, so.
worlddan: I like Rift. It's a WoW-clone but a good one, FWIW.
MonstaMunch: Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to try it and see. Never played WoW (or any ofhter mmorpg), so should be an interesting experience :)
If the 5 bucks for the client is too much I think I have an extra code for a free client that I can dig up. It also includes 30 days of play. You might have to give me 24 hours to dig through my pile of junk though.
worlddan: Having said that, I seriously doubt Rift is going F2P anytime soon. I heard the same stories about WoW for years too. From the public data I have seen Rift remains quite profitable and so long as that is the case there is zero incentive to go F2P.
Since going F2P has caused some already profitable games to become even more profitable I don't know if I'd assume that automatically, were I you. They're already basically giving away the client. It keeps going on sale for a pittance and they give out codes for it for free at every gaming conference and convention since at least the last half of 2010.

I'm not saying it's a bad game or that it doesn't have enough subs to keep it going, it very well might. But Trion Worlds may decide F2P will net them even more money and make the move. Hell, I don't think TOR will even make it past its second birthday without going F2P. Whatever Titan is might not either. The MMO model in the US is changing. I actually think that's good because it was basically ass before, but who knows how it'll go in the future.
Post edited March 01, 2012 by orcishgamer
orcishgamer: If the 5 bucks for the client is too much I think I have an extra code for a free client that I can dig up. It also includes 30 days of play. You might have to give me 24 hours to dig through my pile of junk though.
Bugger. Thanks for the awesome offer, but I saw it 2 mins too late, just bought the "collector's edition" thingy a moment ago. :/
orcishgamer: If the 5 bucks for the client is too much I think I have an extra code for a free client that I can dig up. It also includes 30 days of play. You might have to give me 24 hours to dig through my pile of junk though.
MonstaMunch: Bugger. Thanks for the awesome offer, but I saw it 2 mins too late, just bought the "collector's edition" thingy a moment ago. :/
Ack sorry. Still, 5 bucks for a month of play is probably a good deal. Enjoy:)
orcishgamer: Ack sorry. Still, 5 bucks for a month of play is probably a good deal. Enjoy:)
It was $7.50 as I'm a complete tool when it comes to marketing ploys, so felt like I wouldn't get the whole experience without paying the extra $2.50 for the spider and midget banker thing....

*blushes at my own stupidity*
orcishgamer: Ack sorry. Still, 5 bucks for a month of play is probably a good deal. Enjoy:)
MonstaMunch: It was $7.50 as I'm a complete tool when it comes to marketing ploys, so felt like I wouldn't get the whole experience without paying the extra $2.50 for the spider and midget banker thing....

*blushes at my own stupidity*
Lmao. Well, people have spent way more just to get the Argus 55, whatever the hell, ME3 rifle, so don't feel too bad. They're pretty good at this.

My weakness is art books (the real kind, even if it's a crappy binding). I will totally throw down cash needlessly if there's an art book.
Luisfius: Saints Row 2 is the best worst GTA-like. The best, because, well, it is the silliest and funniest one since GTA2. It is an absolute blast to play.

Worst because the port to PC was absolutely crap. It CAN be fixed with two mods, but it is still far from ideal.
The two mods are these:

http://saintsrowpowertools.com/
It fixes (some) performance issues and makes it work. Yeah. Don't play without it.
Hell, you basically CAN'T play without it.

http://idolninja.com/sr2.php
Gentlemen of the Row. Great mod. Adds a shitload of silly stuff, tries to restore content, and last time I checked, was even porting the SR2 DLC that never got released on PC. Besides, flamingo nukes.
Making the best GTA-like even better. I don't think it has things as silly as SR3's dildo weapons, but it is close. Have not played SR3, but Gentlemen of the Row is wonderful and great. Unlocks animations and voices and A LOT OF STUFF ot be used.

Also, once that is done and configured, you can do AWESOME coop multiplayer. It is a blast. At less than five bucks, SR2 is a TOTAL STEAL. Hell, I don't really like GTA, but SR2 is amazing.
The crux of the PC port performance issue was related to how far the consumer's CPU speed was above or below 3.0GHz (xbox360's CPU speed). That +/-delta is inversely proportional to the game's performance. The reason I mention this is to add another simple fix to your list for AMD users (AMD Overdrive). This provides easy access to the CPU multiplier from within windows that can be changed on-the-fly. With the CPU clocked at 3.0GHz most performance issues are solved. AMD Overdrive also supports profiles so it can be set to auto throttle the CPU when SR2 is launched.
Is free Cities in Motion for a paradox survey a good deal?
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?888-Complete-our-survey-and-get-a-free-game!