It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ahh, yeah Vavle set our prices for those... I have a solution for you though, go to our website and buy it there www.strangeloopgames.com, it's a flat price there. You'll get a DRM free download + a key to unlock on steam, so it's better in many ways.
Revisor: Wow, that's the first time I've seen an insider share information about Steam pricing and it's directly contradicting what we've thought the whole time - that publishers or devs, not Steam set the price.
It's long been known Valve are asshats when it comes to prices and refuse your products if you don't follow their price and sale guidance
Luisfius: Saints Row 2 is the best worst GTA-like. The best, because, well, it is the silliest and funniest one since GTA2. It is an absolute blast to play.

Worst because the port to PC was absolutely crap. It CAN be fixed with two mods, but it is still far from ideal.
The two mods are these:

http://saintsrowpowertools.com/
It fixes (some) performance issues and makes it work. Yeah. Don't play without it.
Hell, you basically CAN'T play without it.

http://idolninja.com/sr2.php
Gentlemen of the Row. Great mod. Adds a shitload of silly stuff, tries to restore content, and last time I checked, was even porting the SR2 DLC that never got released on PC. Besides, flamingo nukes.
Making the best GTA-like even better. I don't think it has things as silly as SR3's dildo weapons, but it is close. Have not played SR3, but Gentlemen of the Row is wonderful and great. Unlocks animations and voices and A LOT OF STUFF ot be used.

Also, once that is done and configured, you can do AWESOME coop multiplayer. It is a blast. At less than five bucks, SR2 is a TOTAL STEAL. Hell, I don't really like GTA, but SR2 is amazing.
So I tried the 'vanilla' SR2 and it basically made me despise the series. Will the mods really fix what was a very, very, very, very rough gem?
Post edited March 01, 2012 by FraterPerdurabo
Two Worlds 2 is on sale for a week on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13656/
Ahh, yeah Vavle set our prices for those... I have a solution for you though, go to our website and buy it there www.strangeloopgames.com, it's a flat price there. You'll get a DRM free download + a key to unlock on steam, so it's better in many ways.
Revisor: Wow, that's the first time I've seen an insider share information about Steam pricing and it's directly contradicting what we've thought the whole time - that publishers or devs, not Steam set the price.
The price is exactly the same on their official site and on steam. Am I missing something here? Or well, there's the regional $ = € thing, but that's the only difference.
thebum06: The price is exactly the same on their official site and on steam. Am I missing something here? Or well, there's the regional $ = € thing, but that's the only difference.
You're missing the part where if you don't price the same as Steam on your website they drop you like a hot rock. So Steam tells you how much to sell for both on Steam and on your own website. Yea for not not enough competition!
thebum06: The price is exactly the same on their official site and on steam. Am I missing something here? Or well, there's the regional $ = € thing, but that's the only difference.
orcishgamer: You're missing the part where if you don't price the same as Steam on your website they drop you like a hot rock. So Steam tells you how much to sell for both on Steam and on your own website. Yea for not not enough competition!
I get that, but from the quote the developers say that the "solution" to steam setting the price is to visit their official site, which is not really a solution at all since it's the same price.
orcishgamer: You're missing the part where if you don't price the same as Steam on your website they drop you like a hot rock. So Steam tells you how much to sell for both on Steam and on your own website. Yea for not not enough competition!
thebum06: I get that, but from the quote the developers say that the "solution" to steam setting the price is to visit their official site, which is not really a solution at all since it's the same price.
Well, you get a Steam key and Steam loses the benefit of being able to set the price (because they get zilch, essentially), so yeah, it won't solve the price issue but it may ameliorate the situation long term.
But from the site you get it DRM-free as well!
For those considering SR2, just get SR3. It's better in every single possible way and the port actually works.

SR2 isn't worth it when the vastly superior game that works immediately after purchase is right there.
Luisfius: Saints Row 2 is the best worst GTA-like. The best, because, well, it is the silliest and funniest one since GTA2. It is an absolute blast to play.

Worst because the port to PC was absolutely crap. It CAN be fixed with two mods, but it is still far from ideal.
The two mods are these:

http://saintsrowpowertools.com/
It fixes (some) performance issues and makes it work. Yeah. Don't play without it.
Hell, you basically CAN'T play without it.

http://idolninja.com/sr2.php
Gentlemen of the Row. Great mod. Adds a shitload of silly stuff, tries to restore content, and last time I checked, was even porting the SR2 DLC that never got released on PC. Besides, flamingo nukes.
Making the best GTA-like even better. I don't think it has things as silly as SR3's dildo weapons, but it is close. Have not played SR3, but Gentlemen of the Row is wonderful and great. Unlocks animations and voices and A LOT OF STUFF ot be used.

Also, once that is done and configured, you can do AWESOME coop multiplayer. It is a blast. At less than five bucks, SR2 is a TOTAL STEAL. Hell, I don't really like GTA, but SR2 is amazing.
FraterPerdurabo: So I tried the 'vanilla' SR2 and it basically made me despise the series. Will the mods really fix what was a very, very, very, very rough gem?
What didn't you like about it? Performancewise, Powertools fixes it as much as possible. Gentlemen adds more customization options and unlocks/adds content. If you don't like the tone of the game (extremely over the top criminal sociopathy simulator that does not take itself seriously at all), it won't help. At all. Still, if you have the game, it couldn't hurt trying those mods.

In any case, gameplaywise, it is solid. Plotline is silly as hell (with some pretty well done serious moments among the mayhem, believe it or not), and it is more focused on fooling around than trying to follow a dramatic storyline like the GTAs themselves.

I mean, it doesn't ONCE try to make the Boss like a sympathetic, tragic figure like I've read GTA4 does, or being inconsistent with the gameplay. The Boss is a hateful, mayhem causing sociopath, and the cutscenes reflect that.
thebum06: I get that, but from the quote the developers say that the "solution" to steam setting the price is to visit their official site, which is not really a solution at all since it's the same price.
orcishgamer: Well, you get a Steam key and Steam loses the benefit of being able to set the price (because they get zilch, essentially), so yeah, it won't solve the price issue but it may ameliorate the situation long term.
Well that's true, it would be beneficial to the developer to buy it from their website even if not for the buyer (although I didn't notice you got a DRM free version on the site as well, so I do see the benefit for buying from the site now).

Didn't know valve were that bad with setting the price themselves either, this is the first developer I hear complaining about it.
orcishgamer: Well, you get a Steam key and Steam loses the benefit of being able to set the price (because they get zilch, essentially), so yeah, it won't solve the price issue but it may ameliorate the situation long term.
thebum06: Well that's true, it would be beneficial to the developer to buy it from their website even if not for the buyer (although I didn't notice you got a DRM free version on the site as well, so I do see the benefit for buying from the site now).

Didn't know valve were that bad with setting the price themselves either, this is the first developer I hear complaining about it.
I've heard other complaints from others as well. Obviously some devs, like Spiderweb Software (Jeff Vogel) get to bend the rules. Of course he's established with a huge back catalog and his website prices are actually higher, not lower.
FiatLux: Thank you very much , "abolat" , for the info - and silly me , I thought that the GamersGate versions probably were better than the DOTEMU versions that I already have bought...

Is something like that (the MODs) compatible with Steam ? .

B.t.w.

Saints Row 2 and 3 are on offer at Steam !!!!
Luisfius: Yes. Those mods are compatible with the Steam versions. Hell, IIRC, they don't work if you don't use the steam version, or at least they were NOT compatible with the Gamersgate version. Gamersgate might have had a censored or incomplete one, I don't remember, but they are only guaranteed to work with the steam version.
Then again, I did get my SR2 from the THQ store and registered it on steam when it was 7 bucks, and the mods worked perfectly there. Registered as in "it is now linked to my steam account", not "external game uses the steam overlay", or something.
Do the mods work with the retail version?. Note i find SR2 playable and solid without any mods.Better than GTA4 imho
Foxhack: The daily deal is Rift, $4.99.
What's the deal with this? It says a valid credit card is required for the monthly subscription, but it doesn't say how much the monthly subscription is, or what is considered a valid credit card. I use a Visa Debit card that gets accepted by 90% of sites, though some automatically block me because the card was issued by a Cambodian bank.

I'd quite like to buy the game, but not if it will only let me play it for a month. Can anyone confirm what the deal is?
Foxhack: The daily deal is Rift, $4.99.
MonstaMunch: What's the deal with this? It says a valid credit card is required for the monthly subscription, but it doesn't say how much the monthly subscription is, or what is considered a valid credit card. I use a Visa Debit card that gets accepted by 90% of sites, though some automatically block me because the card was issued by a Cambodian bank.

I'd quite like to buy the game, but not if it will only let me play it for a month. Can anyone confirm what the deal is?
You pay 5 dollars just for the right to download the game. The monthly fee is 15 dollars a month. Your first month is free after that you have pay the monthly fee. I'm sure a Visa debit card will work fine; it doesn't have to be a "credit card". It could be your debit card or a Visa/American Express Giftcard. You can also buy time cards for certain amounts of time.
Post edited March 01, 2012 by TheWhiteRose