It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fantasysci5: Because I bought so many games during the sales, I have so many I haven't even played yet. I suck at action games, but I love horror. And I'm a college student without a job and it's either dinner or a game. ;)
Awesome game, I am an avid horror fan myself. In fact I think I have a spare digital copy of Condemned. Let me see if it can be gifted/passed on and you can have it. I have a boxed copy and another digi one anyway. Cannot guarantee it will work but I will look.
Just got an email from impulse regarding some changes in T&C. I bet it has something to do with the last Witcher 2 promo ;)
prakaa: MX518 buddies! Good mouse
Greybriar: I have used a Logitech MX 518 mouse for years and it is the best mouse I have ever used.
Me too!
Nobody mentioned Grid on steam for £2.99, It's a steal at that price.
nagytow: Just got an email from impulse regarding some changes in T&C. I bet it has something to do with the last Witcher 2 promo ;)
I have no idea what has changed. I more or less consider my games bought on Impulse as lost money, but no idea what is going to mean exactly (new changes).
Cassidy-I would really appreciate it if you can manage to gift it. No big deal if you can't. :)

Knee-I've filled out the wishlist here, and I've been gifted so many games which makes up much of my backlog, so I feel like I'm begging if I mention it, you know what I mean? :P Speaking of, I need to update my wishlist here, since I've bought a few things since.
Navagon: Aside from Amnesia, Condemned is probably the only other first person horror game* worth mentioning. It does have weapons (most of which are ripped out of the scenery) and does, for the most part, give you a fair chance of defeating your enemies. But those enemies are smart and can easily get the jump on you if you're not careful.
Thanks. I was just looking for more horror games to whet my appetite. There's a dearth of them right now.
trusteft: I more or less consider my games bought on Impulse as lost money
Hehe same here.
Post edited July 19, 2011 by lowyhong
Damn. I've been wanting to play Quake 4 for a good half-decade now, and $5 isn't a bad price. On the other hand, from what I can tell, aside from retail Impulse seems to be the only place that sells it, and I'm not especially fond of Impulse, and I'm even less fond of GameStop. I have like two games there, and I haven't used it since the last time I reinstalled my system.

I forget if you had to have the client running to play your games. I don't know why they didn't want this game to sell. It wasn't as successful as Quake III, sure, but they never really bothered to sell it digitally, and it's a rare occasion when I'll buy retail PC games these days, but the waiting has gotten ridiculous. I'd almost expect it to show up on GOG before it shows up anywhere else.

Obviously, I've yet to buy or play this one, and that's something I'd really like to do. I might just resort to getting a hard copy at this point, but I don't know anything about the copy protection for that (which would be especially important to know since I'd likely be getting it used). Care to elaborate?

What should I do here if I want to play Quake 4?
Post edited July 20, 2011 by Skunk
Skunk: What should I do here if I want to play Quake 4?
As far as I know, you still can get lucky with a retail copy. Don't worry about DRM, the latest patch removes it.
lowyhong: As far as I know, you still can get lucky with a retail copy. Don't worry about DRM, the latest patch removes it.
What do you mean by "get lucky"? On the matter of the patch, would I have trouble installing it (i.e. having to activate a key) prior to being able to patch? I'd assume not, but I don't know.

If I was to get the Impulse version, would the patch enable me to have a DRM free copy and be able to transfer the installed files to any computer without having to deal with any sort of online activation, or Impulse, in the future? I'm guessing if I get the retail version I'll be able to do about as much.

Basically, I want to be able to keep the game forever if at all possible. I don't have much hope that it's possible with the Impulse version (though I could use a cracked exe, I suppose), but what of the retail version?

A shame that the only way to support the publisher and developer would be to support GameStop. A double-edged sword if there ever was one, eh?
Post edited July 20, 2011 by Skunk
gameplay are doing dungeon seige 3 ltd edition for pc for £10
xbox 360 standard edition £12
Skunk: What do you mean by "get lucky"?
I'm assuming it's been pulled off shelves already, and you'll need to score for it from alternative sources like eBay or Amazon. And I didn't check if they have stock, at the time of posting. They probably still do though.

I doubt you'll be able to get a truly DRM-free copy from Impulse, since you require Impulse to even launch the installer. I've no idea if you can just copy the game into an external drive and just launch it from there, but I'm more inclined to say no.
Post edited July 20, 2011 by lowyhong
lowyhong: I'm assuming it's been pulled off shelves already, and you'll need to score for it from alternative sources like eBay or Amazon. And I didn't check if they have stock, at the time of posting. They probably still do though.
If that's all, that's no trouble. I can count on both hands how many games I've bought brick and mortar since 2003. My eBay and Amazon accounts are ancient, and my eBay account has hundreds of feedback from buying everything from clothes, batteries, electronics, books, tools, and just about everything but food there (...but I have bought a few snacks from Amazon).

The buses where I live only come once an hour, cost way too much, and are generally just a severe hassle, and right now the lowest temperature it's been this week is 102F, so needless to say, until I figure out how to go about moving somewhere that snows, I only go outside when absolutely necessary or when it's dark out. I'm something of a shut-in, to put it lightly. I love the outdoors and hate being cooped up inside, but I don't have much of a choice until I finally sort my life out. :P
lowyhong: As far as I know, you still can get lucky with a retail copy. Don't worry about DRM, the latest patch removes it.
Skunk: What do you mean by "get lucky"? On the matter of the patch, would I have trouble installing it (i.e. having to activate a key) prior to being able to patch? I'd assume not, but I don't know.

If I was to get the Impulse version, would the patch enable me to have a DRM free copy and be able to transfer the installed files to any computer without having to deal with any sort of online activation, or Impulse, in the future? I'm guessing if I get the retail version I'll be able to do about as much.

Basically, I want to be able to keep the game forever if at all possible. I don't have much hope that it's possible with the Impulse version (though I could use a cracked exe, I suppose), but what of the retail version?

A shame that the only way to support the publisher and developer would be to support GameStop. A double-edged sword if there ever was one, eh?
Don't quote me on this, but I Am pretty sure the disc version of Quake 4 does NOT have an online activation. Of course it's been many years since I install it, but I am pretty sure about it. I would try it again for you but funny story with the game, I can never find the disc and the key. I need to organize my games better lol.

The game is more about the single player part than online. It has a storyline fighting aliens and it feels surprising a lot like Doom 3 in parts. If you can find it on retail for a reasonable price and you like FPS games, get it.
Just not for the Xbox 360 which is almost broken. PC is the version to get. (there is no PS3 version as far as I know or it is as bad as the 360 one)
trusteft: Don't quote me on this, but I Am pretty sure the disc version of Quake 4 does NOT have an online activation. Of course it's been many years since I install it, but I am pretty sure about it. I would try it again for you but funny story with the game, I can never find the disc and the key. I need to organize my games better lol.
Oh right sorry I should have been clearer with the DRM. Pre-patch, you need the CD to play the game, but post-patch you don't. That's about as far a description as I can make of the DRM.

I installed Q4 a week ago for my bro, and it worked flawlessly on WinXP SP3. I can confirm what I said above, as well as what trusteft said, that there is no online activation at all.