It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition: GOG is missing the MacOS build which is available on steam. I can confirm that the steam version is compatible with the latest MacOS Catalina, so that is not the reason for it to be missing from GOG, instead it is missing because the MacOS version is by a different publisher, Aspyr.

https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_4_deluxe_edition
https://store.steampowered.com/app/24780/SimCity_4_Deluxe_Edition/
high rated
Hey! I am a developer behind Ash of Gods: Redemption. I was a bit shocked and flabbergasted to learn that we are on some black list as 'devs who treat GOG gamers as second class citizens'. I'd like to address these accusation about no DLCs for GOG and the lack of update 1.5 for Linux mentioned in the list.

> Missing "Beer for Developers" DLC Source 1

First of all, about the DLC. Back in 2017 we were trying to get some money on Kickstarter to release the game as a whole product without any DLCs but didn't succeed. Despite that failure, we decided to move the original release date to include all the additional content nonetheless and release Ash of Gods in the way it was planned. That's why Ash of Gods: Redemption was released without any DLCs.

There's the 'Beer for developers' DLC on Steam though, that's true. But that is not a real DLC with in-game content. Players on Steam asked us to add this DLC as an additional way to support us, to say 'thank you' for releasing the game as it was intended, without splitting it for the game plus an important DLC.

> Missing the 1.5 update for Linux on GOG since 28 March 2019 (1.5.23 on Steam vs. 1.4.39 on GOG)

As for updates. There's no update for LINUX, that's true. Because update 1.5 was intended to fix bugs for Windows only. Also, as far as I remember, we've added Spanish localization with this update. It was made by community but players feedback was negative because the localization wasn't good enough and we had no means to fix it.

> Not for sale in China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. No Region Locking on Steam.

If that's true, that's not our doing. Probably, it's Whisper Games' decision. This is our Chinese publisher. I believe they decided to focus on Steam. We can't fix this issue, unfortunately.

P.S. I strongly advice you to check information thoroughly before adding someone to your list of shame. I do understand you can't check everything but that DLC accusation is just preposterous.
Post edited October 15, 2020 by asbijou
asbijou: Hey! I am a developer behind Ash of Gods: Redemption. I was a bit shocked and flabbergasted to learn that we are on some black list as 'devs who treat GOG gamers as second class citizens'. I'd like to address these accusation about no DLCs for GOG and the lack of update 1.5 for Linux mentioned in the list.

First of all, about the DLC. Back in 2017 we were trying to get some money on Kickstarter to release the game as a whole product without any DLCs but didn't succeed. Despite that failure, we decided to move the original release date to include all the additional content nonetheless and release Ash of Gods in the way it was planned. That's why Ash of Gods: Redemption was released without any DLCs.

There's the 'Beer for developers' DLC on Steam though, that's true. But that is not a real DLC with in-game content. Players on Steam asked us to add this DLC as an additional way to support us, to say 'thank you' for releasing the game as it was intended, without splitting it for the game plus an important DLC.

> Missing the 1.5 update for Linux on GOG since 28 March 2019 (1.5.23 on Steam vs. 1.4.39 on GOG)

As for updates. There's no update for LINUX, that's true. Because update 1.5 was intended to fix bugs for Windows only. Also, as far as I remember, we've added Spanish localization with this update. It was made by community but players feedback was negative because the localization wasn't good enough and we had no means to fix it.

> Not for sale in China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. No Region Locking on Steam.

If that's true, that's not our doing. Probably, it's Whisper Games' decision. This is our Chinese publisher. I believe they decided to focus on Steam. We can't fix this issue, unfortunately.

P.S. I strongly advice you to check information thoroughly before adding someone to your list of shame. I do understand you can't check everything but that DLC accusation is just preposterous.
Even if it's just the characters extra for the cards it's a feature only for Steam users... The same with the Linux version update... You have it on Steam and not here. That's not exactly preposterous that's facts. When the Steam DLC was released you could have remembered the game was not only sold at Steam, for example. That's what is call second class citizen experience.
asbijou: Hey! I am a developer behind Ash of Gods: Redemption. I was a bit shocked and flabbergasted to learn that we are on some black list as 'devs who treat GOG gamers as second class citizens'. I'd like to address these accusation about no DLCs for GOG and the lack of update 1.5 for Linux mentioned in the list.

i think your response is worthy of appreciation! thank you for the clarification.
high rated
It's always great to see a developer providing feedback, so thank you. Thank you also for the explanation - I can't say much to it since I don't own the game or know much about it. However what I do know and understand is that the DLC and the update actually exists, just like you said. So please let me ask a simple question: why are those on Steam and not on GOG ... or in other words, is there anything that would prevent you from giving GOG the same treatment you gave Steam users already?
Post edited October 15, 2020 by MarkoH01

First, I thank you for your response here. It's always great to see a developer post. If you plan to stick around the forums here, you may want to consider contacting staff since I'm pretty sure developers are able to get a different color username to make their posts stand out from the rest of us riff-raff :)

I don't think anyone is trying to single out developers specifically with this topic; at least they shouldn't be. The focus should be on "Games that treat GOG customers as second class citizens" (emphasis mine). So regardless of reasons, e.g. publisher focuses on another store, etc, the game has stuff available elsewhere.

Btw I bought your game and am happy with it as is.
high rated
asbijou: P.S. I strongly advice you to check information thoroughly before adding someone to your list of shame. I do understand you can't check everything but that DLC accusation is just preposterous.
I'd strongly advise developers (or their publishers) to make it clear why people on different stores are getting different content and versions of their games (if there are good reasons for that). Why is it always the players' job to scratch their heads and try figure out wtf is going on (and trying to reach developers and publishers who often ignore you)? If we're buying games here, we might not have any way to actually check what the differences are in different versions on other stores, or what's actually included in some DLC that is available elsewhere. What we see most of the time is just stuff being missing or outdated with no explanation given anywhere. Some devs just bring their game here and then vanish. We have forums, but developers and publishers tend to completely ignore them and us. Information is only posted on Steam forums, etcetra. I think that is quite unfair.

Because update 1.5 was intended to fix bugs for Windows only.
So was the intention to leave the Linux version broken? Or are you saying these bugs only affect Windows? I took a glance at the changelog posted by hypersomniac on the forum, and nothing in it suggests that these bugs are specific to Windows..

EDIT: Here's the changelog.

https://www.gog.com/forum/ash_of_gods_redemption/changelog/post16

Only one of the changes mentions windows, and that's popup windows, not Microsoft Windows.
Post edited October 15, 2020 by clarry
asbijou: Hey! I am a developer behind Ash of Gods: Redemption. I was a bit shocked and flabbergasted to learn that we are on some black list as 'devs who treat GOG gamers as second class citizens'. [..]
Thank you for posting here and for the info.
By the way, the list was created to help users making informed purchases, not for shaming devs.
We had some bad cases of games left outdated for years or even abandoned on Gog, so we had to do something about it.
Sadly we're just normal users, so we have limited methods to identify titles with problems.

P.s: I say "we", but my contribution has actually been minimal, other people did the real "god's work".
P.p.s: maybe the doc's title is a bit inflammatory (I never liked it much), but it's not up to me to change it.
Post edited October 15, 2020 by phaolo
high rated
Thanks everyone for kind words and feedback. Talking to community is very important and I'd like to mention that I am here not to fight but to find a common ground. I was just a bit flabbergasted to see our game in the list. I'll do my best to answer your questions.
When the Steam DLC was released you could have remembered the game was not only sold at Steam, for example. That's what is call second class citizen experience.
So please let me ask a simple question: why are those on Steam and not on GOG ... or in other words, is there anything that would prevent you from giving GOG the same treatment you gave Steam users already?
This DLC was actually released because Steam users asked us to make this DLC. The ones who backed the game on Kickstarter. We never received any suggestion from GOG or ITCH.IO users. That's why I don't understand what's wrong with it. And yes, you will receive a digital version of playing cards with the DLC because obviously you can't ask people to pay for nothing. Anyway, I don't see this as a big deal. It definitely shouldn't be treated as a disrespect to GOG users.
So was the intention to leave the Linux version broken? Or are you saying these bugs only affect Windows? I took a glance at the changelog posted by hypersomniac on the forum, and nothing in it suggests that these bugs are specific to Windows.
Thank you for posting a link because I can't do that yet as a newbie. Linux version wasn't broken. At least, we never received any reports about blockers or bugs. And yes, there's no mention of Windows because Windows is a default platform. If we fixed anything on Linux, we would definitely specify that. I hope we won't end up in another list for that, something like 'devs who treat Linux users as a second class citizens'.
don't think anyone is trying to single out developers specifically with this topic; at least they shouldn't be. The focus should be on "Games that treat GOG customers as second class citizens" (emphasis mine). So regardless of reasons, e.g. publisher focuses on another store, etc, the game has stuff available elsewhere.
By the way, the list was created to help users making informed purchases, not for shaming devs.
Then it should be named in a proper way. Even when you say 'games that treat' instead of 'devs who treat' it is the same for us, devs. Games are our children and we are responsible for them. Hence, we are responsible for treating you as a second class citizens. That's harsh. I do understand, some of you had a lot of negative experience with some games or even some devs but not all devs are the same. Also, some decisions are up to publisher and we are powerless to change anything even if we don't agree with it. You should always remember that.
I'd strongly advise developers (or their publishers) to make it clear why people on different stores are getting different content and versions of their games (if there are good reasons for that).
Just wondering, how do you think we should do that? 'Hey, GoG folks, we just released a DLC on Steam. It is not a real DLC but a way to get some money from grateful Steam users. Care to join?' That's not even funny. Also, we never thought it would be a problem. And there's no such thing on GOG as News and Announcements, just forums. I am not an active GOG user, to be frank, I just learned today that our game actually has a forum here. But this message above isn't good enough even for forums.
Why is it always the players' job to scratch their heads and try figure out wtf is going on (and trying to reach developers and publishers who often ignore you)? If we're buying games here, we might not have any way to actually check what the differences are in different versions on other stores, or what's actually included in some DLC that is available elsewhere.
I am sorry but what changes if I post anything to the forums? You still have to scratch your head and figure it out, to find and read my message. And if you are not gonna check the difference, you will never learn there's a DLC on Steam, ain't it?
We have forums, but developers and publishers tend to completely ignore them and us. Information is only posted on Steam forums, etcetra. I think that is quite unfair.
No argument here. Unfortunately, Steam is usually in focus because of a big player base and money it brings. In the end of the day, that's just business and it is always about money, not about art. But sometimes there are other reasons. As I mentioned before, we never used GOG much and didn't know about the forums if they were available on the game's release. Also, we have a tiny team with no CM to cover all platforms. I am sorry for the lack of coverage, it wasn't intended.

Anyway, I asked my folks to double check the Linux build. If anything's wrong, we'll probably make an update. Also, we will discuss the mentioned problem with the so-called DLC, though I reckon no one is actually gonna buy it here.
asbijou: [...]
This DLC was actually released because Steam users asked us to make this DLC. The ones who backed the game on Kickstarter. We never received any suggestion from GOG or ITCH.IO users. That's why I don't understand what's wrong with it. And yes, you will receive a digital version of playing cards with the DLC because obviously you can't ask people to pay for nothing. Anyway, I don't see this as a big deal. It definitely shouldn't be treated as a disrespect to GOG users.
[...]
Anyway, I asked my folks to double check the Linux build. If anything's wrong, we'll probably make an update. Also, we will discuss the mentioned problem with the so-called DLC, though I reckon no one is actually gonna buy it here.
I didn't know you project was only backed up by people on Steam. I had the ilusion one can be part of the kickstarter and recieve a digital copy here... nobody opt for that?

It's possible that NOW nobody will buy it here... but who knows. That accusation is just preposterous ;)
Post edited October 15, 2020 by jdavidgea
high rated
asbijou: Thanks everyone for kind words and feedback. Talking to community is very important and I'd like to mention that I am here not to fight but to find a common ground.
Thank you. I'm also just trying to share my perspective, not trying to flog you even if I have some strong opinions :)

Thank you for posting a link because I can't do that yet as a newbie. Linux version wasn't broken. At least, we never received any reports about blockers or bugs. And yes, there's no mention of Windows because Windows is a default platform. If we fixed anything on Linux, we would definitely specify that. I hope we won't end up in another list for that, something like 'devs who treat Linux users as a second class citizens'.
Well this list right here also covers games that have missing mac & linux ports so I think we're good!

Anyway, if the Linux version isn't broken, that's great. Surely you do understand why people would be concerned if it says 1.5.x on Steam and 1.4.x on GOG though. And looking at the change log, most of the changes seemed like they're related to game logic, which I (as a software developer) assumed would apply to all platforms equally. But you know your game better than I do :)

Then it should be named in a proper way. Even when you say 'games that treat' instead of 'devs who treat' it is the same for us, devs. Games are our children and we are responsible for them. Hence, we are responsible for treating you as a second class citizens. That's harsh. I do understand, some of you had a lot of negative experience with some games or even some devs but not all devs are the same. Also, some decisions are up to publisher and we are powerless to change anything even if we don't agree with it. You should always remember that.
I agree it sounds harsh, but if you can step in the buyers shoes for a moment, consider whether it really matters who's ultimately at fault? The end result is the same: customers who make the mistake of buying these listed games on GOG will miss out. I think that is quite harsh. Sometimes it's because of the publisher, sometimes it's because of the developer, sometimes it's both, sometimes it's a licensing issue involving yet another party.. even GOG screws up from time to time. Due to NDAs and the secrecy involved in licensing deals and really everything that goes behind the scenes, it's not like we have any way of knowing (until the guilty party admits their fault).

Also, I don't think you can disclaim all liability for publishers' actions and at the same time treat all criticism concerning your game as personal. And then again, someone up there did choose that publisher, right? And they also signed that contract with them. It's not like the publisher is some uninvited third party who came out of nowhere and just took the game and started doing shit :) So when a game goes on this list, we're not pointing a finger too much at a specific entity; both publisher and the developer are listed because it's a great starting point for resolving these issues (and seeing if there's an unfortunate trend involving specific publishers or developers..). I think the list's title serves its purpose, it's not like we can cram all the possible entities at fault into it. It's just the 'game' alright.

Just wondering, how do you think we should do that? 'Hey, GoG folks, we just released a DLC on Steam. It is not a real DLC but a way to get some money from grateful Steam users. Care to join?' That's not even funny. Also, we never thought it would be a problem. And there's no such thing on GOG as News and Announcements, just forums. I am not an active GOG user, to be frank, I just learned today that our game actually has a forum here. But this message above isn't good enough even for forums.
I admit that there are no great solutions, and your DLC in particular is an odd one out. But you do have a Q/A thread on steam forums, and also a "Where to report problems" thread. It's unfortunate that you didn't know about the existence of GOG forums until now, but I'm not blaming you for it. In any case, I think having such threads on the GOG forum could have resulted in the issues being brought up and resolved right there before the game ended up on this list. I think people *usually* look around and try to contact devs/publishers before (or when) putting a game up here. I'm sorry that didn't happen this time. I guess that's how much confusion a version number lagging behind since nearly two years ago can cause?

I am sorry but what changes if I post anything to the forums? You still have to scratch your head and figure it out, to find and read my message.
I mean communication is a good way to resolve misunderstandings, and that's why we're thankful you've decided to post here. Perhaps the outcome of forum activity would've been that your game wouldn't have sat on a "naughty list" for over half a year? I don't know, maybe the version number disparity would've been resolved? I think people usually look around a bit first before they rush to report an outdated game here, so I think this could have been avoided.

And if you are not gonna check the difference, you will never learn there's a DLC on Steam, ain't it?
Yeah. Someone must have noticed there's a DLC and they thought: yet another outdated game with DLC missing on GOG. Not a good sign. Honestly I'm not sure what to think about that one DLC, it's an odd one out. Like you say, there probably aren't too many people who'd buy it here. I understand why you would bring it to Steam only. I totally understand why you thought it's ok (and I think it's ok). But once again, some perspective: many gamers here are collectors. They want all the extras. Even if it's just artbooks, vanity items, soundtracks, outfits or whatever. Even cards. I understand why these people feel like they miss out when they realize they can't, for whatever weird reason, buy all the DLC they'd get to buy if they had chosen to shop on a different store. This list is generally useful for these collectors. In any case, each individual gets to judge whether the listed problem bothers them. Would the regional restrictions on some Japanese game keep me from buying it here? Generally, no. Would it be damn good to know if I were planning to play that game with a friend from Japan? Yes, absolutely!

No argument here. Unfortunately, Steam is usually in focus because of a big player base and money it brings. In the end of the day, that's just business and it is always about money, not about art. But sometimes there are other reasons. As I mentioned before, we never used GOG much and didn't know about the forums if they were available on the game's release. Also, we have a tiny team with no CM to cover all platforms. I am sorry for the lack of coverage, it wasn't intended.
Yeah, no problem. Honestly very few devs bother with the GOG forums (and I suspect many don't know about it, even though every game page on the store links to the forums..), so it's pretty much expected. That's why we're all that much more thankful when someone does in fact decide to join us for a chat.

Btw, you can probably contact GOG they'll give you a Developer tag. Your forum text will turn golden. Like here, for example: https://www.gog.com/forum/dusk/dusk_sdk_and_gog_galaxy

Thanks a lot!
Post edited October 15, 2020 by clarry
asbijou: This DLC was actually released because Steam users asked us to make this DLC. The ones who backed the game on Kickstarter. We never received any suggestion from GOG or ITCH.IO users. That's why I don't understand what's wrong with it. And yes, you will receive a digital version of playing cards with the DLC because obviously you can't ask people to pay for nothing. Anyway, I don't see this as a big deal. It definitely shouldn't be treated as a disrespect to GOG users.
I bought the game on GOG and surely sooner or later I would buy the DLC as a thank you and for the little extra, so if you could bring it on GOG I would be very happy!
high rated
asbijou: I strongly advice you to check information thoroughly before adding someone to your list of shame. I do understand you can't check everything but that DLC accusation is just preposterous.
asbijou: Then it should be named in a proper way.
We (people who work on the list) do fact check whatever is reported to us, and we hope anyone who uses the list does as well, though you can't always rely on that. It is as a whole not meant to shame devs, but - as phaolo mentioned - as a reference for GOG customers, some of whom might take their business elsewhere.

Yes, the title of the spreadsheet is a bit generic and include cases that aren't "neglecting" GOG, but it does represent how a lot of us feel about being "left out" (even if that is neither the intention nor done on purpose).

As for the DLC, it's not meant as an accusation. None of the list is; unless devs have been contacted and refused to explain or do anything about pressing issues, like missing updates or content DLC and the like (which has happened).

asbijou: We never received any suggestion from GOG or ITCH.IO users.
asbijou: though I reckon no one is actually gonna buy it here.
Think of that DLC, and in some cases art books, soundtracks, and other extras. GOG users too would like to support devs and artists as much as they can. Sometimes they just don't see a way to voice that. I can see why you'd say no one is going to buy it; the much smaller user base doesn't exactly promise much profit. We appreciate any game that is released on GOG despite that, and not only because more games tend to generate more users; a lot of us do buy any available extras to support developers, or even go and buy soundtracks on bandcamp or wherever they're available.

We're also aware that some of the reasons why games are on the list are entirely GOG's fault. Without meaning to call anyone out (except for GOG themselves I suppose, as that's unavoidable in this case) I've personally contacted devs about certain issues before and they have told me that they've tried to contact GOG about updates and additions to their games but have not received any response for months.

asbijou: I just learned today that our game actually has a forum here
Same goes for not properly informing devs about dev accounts, subforums, update channels and all that. I think updating got a lot easier with the introduction of the Galaxy client, but we've also got some vocal people here who don't want to use that. Then GOG goes and updates Galaxy versions of games, but not the offline installers.

asbijou: Unfortunately, Steam is usually in focus because of a big player base and money it brings. In the end of the day, that's just business and it is always about money, not about art.
Obviously that's a whole other can of worms. We're well aware that GOG has much fewer users/customers than the Digital Distribution Behemoth Steam, and many devs we've contacted regarding The List™ have (sometimes blatantly) told us as much: It's not worth it. Some have even pulled their games from the platform because of that (very few, though).
A lot of devs also don't even go to GOG because they like their DRM and there are just too many worm cans.

That aside, region locks are a pain in the backside in general and we usually blame those on GOG or the publishers.

I would - again - like to point out that the list isn't meant to shame. We are trying to contact developers and publishers about some of the issues and non-issues, and to be honest, at the same time we have to deal with some of the more zealous GOG users (yeah you guys heard me).
Obviously we who are working on the list (we - well, I at least - have been slacking a bit lately with updates and contacting because 2020 is being a twat as well) and the contacting tend to be more aware of what's going on behind the scenes, for as much as anyone - including GOG - will tell us.
I apologize if you feel like you, or your game, or your team are being shamed, that is not our intention. A lot of people use both Steam and GOG, and if they are aware of the list, they will simply buy on Steam if the GOG version of any game is lacking in some way.
We point out as well when something is GOG's fault or an issue on GOG's side instead of the devs or publishers, however, we can't really tell people how to use the list. Sometimes they just look at it and assume the worst, even if we do point at sources, explanations, or anything that would take heat off the devs.

We all appreciate that you put your game on GOG, and your input here, even if you might have felt that you had to defend yourself and your game. :/
Supraland

About the same time it was removed from GOG, they added a DLC to Steam.
Buyers on GOG won't get that DLC

jdavidgea: [...] When the Steam DLC was released you could have remembered the game was not only sold at Steam, for example.
A lot of publishers and devs keep forgetting that, but that of course is all the more disappointing.
Post edited October 16, 2020 by neumi5694
Asterix & Obelix XXL 3 - The Crystal Menhir - Missing DLC:

The former Preorder Bonus DLC (Viking Outfit / Legionary Outfit) ist buyable for everyone on Steam, but not on GOG.

---

Furthermore, I consider that Batman Arkham Series must be released on GOG. :)
Post edited October 16, 2020 by Pygmalion_4678