It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matruchus: Update on Machines at War 3 release on gog.com.

The game has been declined by gog as being a too niche game. Basically I think it has been denied cause of the RTS genre.
well... that is just... I don't know....

where was the thread about MOBA's killing RTS's? maybe that is not quite correctly phrased?

The game has been declined by gog as being a too niche game. Basically I think it has been denied cause of RTS genre.

Anyway if you wan't to support this game to come to gog.com you can still vote for it here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/machines_at_war_3

Will continue to do skirmish gameplays and will also upload youtube gameplay videos which you can find in my support thread for this game here: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/vote_for_machines_at_war_3_in_the_community_wishlist/page1
Niche? LOL. If Machines at War 3 is niche, then what does that make games like 1849, Ascendant and the Last Door which are at the bottom of the best-sellers? Ultra niche?
Post edited August 08, 2014 by Grargar
Grargar: Niche? LOL. If Machines at War 3 is niche, then what does that make games like 1849, Ascendant and the Last Door which are at the bottom of the best-sellers? Ultra niche?
Yeah I have a feeling that gog's marketing department smokes pot when they approve some games for release and leave other ones out. Ah, well maybe it will be approved some time later.
Post edited August 08, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: ...The game has been declined by gog as being a too niche game...
GOG can obviously do whatever they want... but I'd be curious to see how they objectively define "too niche." Is it based on prior sales from other platforms, extrapolated from lower quantity wishlist votes, or just the random label of a few testers? Not necessarily specific to Machines at War 3...
Post edited August 08, 2014 by undeadcow
Matruchus: ...The game has been declined by gog as being a too niche game...
undeadcow: GOG can obviously do whatever they want... but I'd be curious to see how they objectively define "too niche." Is it based on prior sales from other platforms, extrapolated from lower quantity wishlist votes, or just the random label of a few testers? Not necessarily specific to Machines at War 3...
Well this game was released for the first time on a mayor platform (Steam) on 26th July 2014 - so its basically unknown being an indie strategy in the likes of TA. So prior sales data is not existent. Wishlist votes are not low since the wish was listed two weeks ago and there were already 38 votes till today. But it is their decision to decline it and I respect that.
I just hope that they will reconsider it in the future.
high rated
Matruchus: The game has been declined by gog as being a too niche game. Basically I think it has been denied cause of the RTS genre.
Wow, I can't imagine GOG rejected this game for that reason.

I could understand if they said it's a bad game, gameplay is not ok or something about that.

GOG is realesing tons of generic platformers noone wants to buy, but they reject good looking RTS game because it's too niche.

Incredible.
Post edited August 08, 2014 by SLP2000

The game has been declined by gog as being a too niche game. Basically I think it has been denied cause of the RTS genre.
lol, yet again some very strange and unbelievable reason... if there is really no other bigger reason behind it, then there is something rotting in the GOGs "game picking" department...

cyboff: lol, yet again some very strange and unbelievable reason... if there is really no other bigger reason behind it, then there is something rotting in the GOGs "game picking" department...
Well what I stated here came directly from developer when I asked him over email how is it going with the gog negotiations. Hopefully they will think it over. And basically this does not affect me much since I already own this game drm-free from the developer but I did wan't a gog copy and for other peple to enjoy it as well. Ah, well. Also reviews for this game on Steam are 100% positive - no negative review and that tells a lot.
It would likely be a niche game if the pricing works like this:
$14.99 on developer homepage
If they want the same amount per game on GOG: $14.99/0.7 (70% off game turnover for developer) = $21.41 (insert common price and wishlist comments here).

I'd also consider buying it, but likely test it with the demo first.
The-Business: It would likely be a niche game if the pricing works like this:
If they want the same amount per game on GOG: $14.99/0.7 (70% off game turnover for developer) = $21.41 (insert common price and wishlist comments here).

I recommend the game for sure.

And just to be clear - this was the only response the developer got from gog till now (there were no negotiations) - copying from my email:

Quote:
"Hi Miro, yes I did get a response that they think the game is too niche and aren't interested :("

He hasn't increased the price on Steam, but it is regionally priced - $14.99 and 14.99€.

HypersomniacLive: He hasn't increased the price on Steam, but it is regionally priced - $14.99 and 14.99€.
Well Steam does only use regional pricing and he did say that he loses most of the income on Steam to a publisher http://steamcommunity.com/app/303860/discussions/0/37470847805797175/. He was trying to get his game here without the publisher.
But this isn't the right thread to talk about this. Anyway will probably post some gameplay video of the game on monday and you can decide yourself then if the game is worth the money for you.

Well one other thing I would like to point out is that the buyer on <span class="bold">developer's website</span> gets a 30 day money back quarantee for those who might be interested in the game and all prices are USD!
Attachments:
I have never ever seen this pricing strategy... and I buy a lot of games direct from devs.

Here is also a code for an IOS port of Machine at Wars 3 that has been posted by the developer a few days ago in my support thread and still has not been used: 7EN47E4WHK3P

If anybody uses it please make a reply to this post. Thanks !

EDIT: IOS code has now been reedemed!

Also you can vote for the game here: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/machines_at_war_3

Newest gameplay review video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7_j_H8kTcI

Oh and this is my last hijack post in this thread :)
Post edited August 09, 2014 by Matruchus
cyboff: lol, yet again some very strange and unbelievable reason... if there is really no other bigger reason behind it, then there is something rotting in the GOGs "game picking" department...
Must admit I'm having similar thoughts. Actually wondering if they don't project too much their own tastes on their consumers.