It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Loger13: Does anyone even know why Poles played in "Defenziva and spies"?
Why do they so carefully hides list of games that will (or could appear) in the catalog? As well as they hide the date when new games will be added.
Steam strongly advertises and promotes that such a game will be in it, and In GOG employees played in strict paranoia mode.
anothername: Steam gets games because it exists. GoG needs to fight for them and have to keep contracts and then also if they are allowed to release have to make them work on normal system without the DRM they are usually infected with or make them compatible with modern systems if they are old or both.

Sure they could brag now about the 20 most top wanted games they plan to release but they still need to make them work with i.e. systems without steam and also maybe have the archivements being added to galaxy and all that. And maybe that take two years to fix and now we run each day amok since evil gog does not release the promised games and so on. Hope you get what I mean :)

Those that they are sure of are in the upcoming list.
So, how about "We are now working on the compatibility of game X. If all goes well, the game will appear in our catalog."?
So the explanation of the problem by technical reasons - it's completely unfit explanation. I would like something a little more convincing.
anothername: Steam gets games because it exists. GoG needs to fight for them and have to keep contracts and then also if they are allowed to release have to make them work on normal system without the DRM they are usually infected with or make them compatible with modern systems if they are old or both.

Sure they could brag now about the 20 most top wanted games they plan to release but they still need to make them work with i.e. systems without steam and also maybe have the archivements being added to galaxy and all that. And maybe that take two years to fix and now we run each day amok since evil gog does not release the promised games and so on. Hope you get what I mean :)

Those that they are sure of are in the upcoming list.
Loger13: So, how about "We are now working on the compatibility of game X. If all goes well, the game will appear in our catalog."?
So the explanation of the problem by technical reasons - it's completely unfit explanation. I would like something a little more convincing.
Because they don't know when and as a result if at all; at least not for sure. So better to say nothing and have not X fans of game Y riled up for an unknown amount of time than to crush hopes. Ask fortune_p_dawg what he thinks about the not Oblivion release and see the results of such crushed dreams. Of course that just continued speculation of previous speculation. It might also be that they are just evil :D
Loger13: So, how about "We are now working on the compatibility of game X. If all goes well, the game will appear in our catalog."?
anothername: Because they don't know when and as a result if at all; at least not for sure.
If they don't sure, they can write "We don't sure, but plan to do it".

anothername: So better to say nothing and have not X fans of game Y riled up for an unknown amount of time than to crush hopes.
Not better.

anothername: Ask fortune_p_dawg what he thinks about the not Oblivion release and see the results of such crushed dreams.
I'm very understand him and I'm sure, he prefer to know EXACTLY, will GOG team worked on adding Oblivion right now (and problem is solely technical), rather than to DON'T KNOW working gog team on adding Oblivion or not AT ALL. The worst thing - ignorance.
By the way, Oblivion have no any technical issues, with working in modern systems ( at least in comparing to Steam version).

anothername: Of course that just continued speculation of previous speculation. It might also be that they are just evil :D
That's why I asked the question. No offense, but your explanation is completely ridiculous :) , So I would like to listen to some more realistic options if someone have it.
Post edited January 02, 2017 by Loger13
Loger13: That's why I asked the question. No offense, but your explanation is completely ridiculous :) , So I would like to listen to some more realistic options if someone have it.
But his explanation is right.

They don't tell us anything they're not sure of, that's just sound business sense.
Some things they don't tell us about so they can release it to great fanfare as a surprise.

It's no good them telling us "We're working on Oblivion" only for them not to be able to fix it, or for the deal to fall apart, and then have to come back and say "Sorry, we're not getting Oblivion now". That's bad PR.
It's much better to not say anything and then release it when they can.

The few things they can be fairly sure of they put on the upcoming list.
Looks like Fossil Echo is going to be available for Mac and Linux pretty soon. Hope the new builds find their way into GOG...
Loger13: That's why I asked the question. No offense, but your explanation is completely ridiculous :) , So I would like to listen to some more realistic options if someone have it.
adaliabooks: But his explanation is right.

They don't tell us anything they're not sure of, that's just sound business sense.
Some things they don't tell us about so they can release it to great fanfare as a surprise.

It's no good them telling us "We're working on Oblivion" only for them not to be able to fix it, or for the deal to fall apart, and then have to come back and say "Sorry, we're not getting Oblivion now". That's bad PR.
It's much better to not say anything and then release it when they can.

The few things they can be fairly sure of they put on the upcoming list.
Still ridiculous.
Ok, than to explain what "technical problems" with Yooka-Laylee? They have problems BEFORE game even released?
The game was officially announced here on October 4th. And the appearance of the api to game we know from SCPM from April 23th! Another example is Outlast 2.
"Technical" explanation don't work. They may not have technical problems with the games that have not even released. Why the game was announced in Steam, though Steam also can have technical problems (theoretically, and it even happens from time to time and release of the game delaying), and GOG is hiding information, even though they knew at the time (they add the game to api or add support page)?
Steam is not afraid to announce, even knowing that the problem may be.
What are afraid of the Poles?
high rated
If people knew or had a better timeframe of what games were coming out when then they could budget and arrange their playtime better. I understand while GOG keeps some secrecy but too much of it works as annoying. It would be cool if we could get all the possible planned games for the month in the upcoming category and if there is a problem or delay they are taking out.

However gog works how it works.
anothername: Because they don't know when and as a result if at all; at least not for sure. So better to say nothing and have not X fans of game Y riled up for an unknown amount of time than to crush hopes. Ask fortune_p_dawg what he thinks about the not Oblivion release and see the results of such crushed dreams. Of course that just continued speculation of previous speculation. It might also be that they are just evil :D
evil... definitely evil.
anothername: Because they don't know when and as a result if at all; at least not for sure.
Loger13: If they don't sure, they can write "We don't sure, but plan to do it".

anothername: So better to say nothing and have not X fans of game Y riled up for an unknown amount of time than to crush hopes.
Loger13: Not better.

i see your point however i'll say this... up until few months ago i had been playing my physical copy of oblivion on my laptop. it worked beautifully. an nvidia driver update comes down the pipe and completely disables many of the in-game graphical options, including shadows. mind you it stayed like this for 4 or 5 months, before nvidia finally put out (in november i think) a driver that fixed the problem.

anothername: Ask fortune_p_dawg what he thinks about the not Oblivion release and see the results of such crushed dreams.
Loger13: I'm very understand him and I'm sure, he prefer to know EXACTLY, will GOG team worked on adding Oblivion right now (and problem is solely technical), rather than to DON'T KNOW working gog team on adding Oblivion or not AT ALL. The worst thing - ignorance.
By the way, Oblivion have no any technical issues, with working in modern systems ( at least in comparing to Steam version).

anothername: Of course that just continued speculation of previous speculation. It might also be that they are just evil :D
the forum is screwing my messages up for some reason.
Post edited January 02, 2017 by fortune_p_dawg
David9855: If people knew or had a better timeframe of what games were coming out when then they could budget and arrange their playtime better. I understand while GOG keeps some secrecy but too much of it works as annoying. It would be cool if we could get all the possible planned games for the month in the upcoming category and if there is a problem or delay they are taking out.

However gog works how it works.
Exactly!

fortune_p_dawg: i see your point however i'll say this... up until few months ago i had been playing my physical copy of oblivion on my laptop. it worked beautifully. an nvidia driver update comes down the pipe and completely disables many of the in-game graphical options, including shadows. mind you it stayed like this for 4 or 5 months, before nvidia finally put out (in november i think) a driver that fixed the problem.
Yes, it is, but it does not prevent Steam to sell the game all the time. Right?
And not prevent to start selling games. We got awful release of No Man's Sky this year. But nothing prevented GOG to advertise the release before the release, and even technical problems at the release did not stop to continue doing so.
By the way, you don't answer what you prefer: be informed about GOG team working on another game (even if it can fails and game not come here) or prefer not to know before GOG team announce it.

P.S. You're became even more popular here :D

If they can advertise future release of technically awful No Man's Sky, why they don't do it with other games?
Rolling the dice for more Bethesda and EA classics...

Big money, BIG money, no whammy, NO whammy STOP!
Loger13: Still ridiculous.
Ok, than to explain what "technical problems" with Yooka-Laylee? They have problems BEFORE game even released?
The game was officially announced here on October 4th. And the appearance of the api to game we know from SCPM from April 23th! Another example is Outlast 2.
"Technical" explanation don't work. They may not have technical problems with the games that have not even released. Why the game was announced in Steam, though Steam also can have technical problems (theoretically, and it even happens from time to time and release of the game delaying), and GOG is hiding information, even though they knew at the time (they add the game to api or add support page)?
It doesn't have to be technical problems. It could be that the contract isn't fully worked out or something.
They add it to the back end because they are confident it will come and it saves some time further down the line, but if they announced a game before the contracts were finalised it could jeopardize the deal.

Steam presumably doesn't have this issue because;
1) they don't really care, they have enough customers they can afford to upset a few occasionally if a game doesn't show up as promised now and again.
2) they'll sell anything, there are no restrictions or deals, presumably Steam has a fairly bog standard agreement that 90% of their games go by.
3) they're the biggest player. Upset that Steam have announced your game coming out before a deal is signed? Tough shit, you probably can't afford not to sell it there so you have to suck it up.
Loger13: be informed about GOG team working on another game (even if it can fails and game not come here) or prefer not to know before GOG team announce it.
I am one of those that fall on both camps. I occasionally know what games GOG is getting, though I usually do not. I knew about 2K Games coming here since before Paradox, Warner Bros or Bethesda joined GOG. There are games that should have been here already, but for reasons I do not know, they are still not released.
Do I prefer to know that they should be here but failed to come? No. I'd rather hope that they will eventually arrive instead of fuming over why they are not here yet, or even worse, pester the parties involved about those, which may backfire and have one of the parties sink the deal (the pilot for Global Frequency is an example of a leak backfiring).

And let me also ask you, do you remember Worlds of Magic? It was in the upcoming tab for quite some time.
Loger13: Still ridiculous.
adaliabooks: It doesn't have to be technical problems. It could be that the contract isn't fully worked out or something.
They add it to the back end because they are confident it will come and it saves some time further down the line, but if they announced a game before the contracts were finalised it could jeopardize the deal.
So, they don't "contracts were finalized", but add game api and support pages (where SCPM found it)? This is just for me sounds inconsistently?
Or the worker who was involved in the addition of these pages/api still knew something and did it because he was told to do it, and not from the fact that he suddenly became bored and he had nothing to do?

JMich: And let me also ask you, do you remember Worlds of Magic? It was in the upcoming tab for quite some time.
No, I don't. In the current form, upcoming tab looks to me totally useless. It never contains games, which we really wait even in the day before release day (release here). No even word about Crysis for example.
If you mean that there was a game, but gone from there... then yes, it would suit me. However, I believe that it would be possible to make another tab - something like "possibly upcoming" ("this year/ this month" for example). With disclaimer like "game can not be released at all". They already have similar disclaimer for in-dev. games, so nothing impossible.
Being games in the upcoming tab still does not guarantee anything. So would like to see the list of non-guaranteed (but potentially in the future coming here) games was more complete and informative. Closer to Steam, if they really want to growing.

Ask yourself the question: if they release Oblivion on this Thursday, the fact that we are now, on Monday, did not know about it - it's really because they are not sure that the game will be technically ready for GOG or because they have not yet agreed about the contract? Or simply because they do not want to provide us with this information in advance?

Do not take this conversation too seriously. In fact, the answer is clear. It is not technical reasons. Most marketing.
Just interested to hear answers because the topic has for such a discussion, as long as there is no information about new *unofficially* confirmed games. =)
Loger13: Ask yourself the question: if they release Oblivion on this Thursday, the fact that we are now, on Monday, did not know about it - it's really because they are not sure that the game will be technically ready for GOG or because they have not yet agreed about the contract? Or simply because they do not want to provide us with this information in advance?
We are approaching NDA territory.
A game that is set to release this fortnight can still be delayed both for technical reasons and for not technical reasons. There are examples to both cases, but not sure how much I can discuss, and not sure I'm willing to find out.
Loger13: Ask yourself the question: if they release Oblivion on this Thursday, the fact that we are now, on Monday, did not know about it - it's really because they are not sure that the game will be technically ready for GOG or because they have not yet agreed about the contract? Or simply because they do not want to provide us with this information in advance?
JMich: We are approaching NDA territory.
A game that is set to release this fortnight can still be delayed both for technical reasons and for not technical reasons. There are examples to both cases, but not sure how much I can discuss, and not sure I'm willing to find out.
That looks like right answer!
Problem not technical, more marketing. Or NDA. But reason to close under NDA release fact and date is also type of marketing.
It's more a question who proposed that paragraph of agreement and why. If game available in Steam for 10 years is it really necessary to hide release date of it here? Questions... questions... questions...