It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

IronArcturus: Not all of the roguelike games are marked properly for some reason, like and [url=https://www.gog.com/game/risk_of_rain]Risk of Rain.
JudasIscariot: Because they aren't roguelikes.
?

They both have procedural generation and perma-death. How are they not like the other roguelikes on GOG?
Post edited March 23, 2016 by IronArcturus
IronArcturus: Not all of the roguelike games are marked properly for some reason, like and [url=https://www.gog.com/game/risk_of_rain]Risk of Rain.
Why do they not qualify while games like Ascendant, Ziggurat, and Nuclear Throne do? This "genre" makes no sense to me.
Marioface5: Why do they not qualify while games like Ascendant, Ziggurat, and Nuclear Throne do? This "genre" makes no sense to me.
I agree. They all should be listed as Roguelikes.
IronArcturus: ?

They both have procedural generation and perma-death. How is that not like the other roguelikes on GOG?
That might make them roguelites, but not roguelikes...

They both have procedural generation and perma-death. How is that not like the other roguelikes on GOG?
adaliabooks: That might make them roguelites, but not roguelikes...
:P

I suggest we call them roguelitelikes.
JMich: I suggest we call them roguelitelikes.
http://www.proceduraldeathlabyrinth.com/
JMich: I suggest we call them roguelitelikes.
omega64: http://www.proceduraldeathlabyrinth.com/
PDL refers to roguelike-like or roguelites. I suggested roguelite-like, which could also be called PDL-like or roguelike-like-like. Do not confuse the terms ;)

They both have procedural generation and perma-death. How are they not like the other roguelikes on GOG?
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation

Either read up on the Berlin Interpretation or play an actual roguelike to see what I mean :) I recommend PosChengband or even the original Rogue :)
IronArcturus: :P
But they are two different things.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a roguelike (I think it's the only true one we have on GoG, though I might be persuaded to call FTL a proper roguelike..), a roguelite just borrows elements of a roguelite (perma death, randomisation, punishing difficulty level) and generally tag them onto a different kind of game (like Rogue Legacy for example).

It's like calling anything that uses a first person perspective an FPS.
adaliabooks: But they are two different things.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a roguelike (I think it's the only true one we have on GoG, though I might be persuaded to call FTL a proper roguelike..), a roguelite just borrows elements of a roguelite (perma death, randomisation, punishing difficulty level) and generally tag them onto a different kind of game (like Rogue Legacy for example).

I still argue that, nowadays, a "roguelike" does not necessarily mean that the game is related to the original "Rogue." But I have to admit that the name "Procedural Death Labyrinth" from omega64 is hilariously accurate!
IronArcturus: :P

Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a true roguelike :)
JudasIscariot: Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a true roguelike :)
Complete with 6+ installers! ;)

IronArcturus: I still argue that, nowadays, a "roguelike" does not necessarily mean that the game is related to the original "Rogue." But I have to admit that the name "Procedural Death Labyrinth" from omega64 is hilariously accurate!
Oh man, the "nowadays" argument. Please, I beseech you, I'll even GIVE you an actual roguelike just so we have this hashed out once and for all :P
JudasIscariot: Sword of the Stars: The Pit is a true roguelike :)
I did think there was another one, but I couldn't recall which.
Really should pick that up at some point.

And having read your link, I withdraw my assertion that FTL might be a proper roguelike, second thoughts suggest it's just a roguelite too.