It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

WinterSnowfall: Wages of War
Great !
Thanks for the heads up.
high rated
SCPM: The video accompanying the article has changed the description for the GOG release of Days Gone from May 18th to "a later date". I expect ~4 months as was the case with Horizon Zero Dawn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqSxKW7SWaI
The most depressing thing about such situations is that instead of an announcement like "this game will be released here 4 months later on DD:MM:YYYY date" somewhere on the home page, we find out about it from some "accidentally spoken" gaming publications.
And this leads to the fact that someone will buy the game at the exit in other stores and will not wait for it to appear here (especially without the official announcement is unknown exactly whether it will be released here).
I know quite a few users who would be willing to wait a couple of months for a release here if they knew exactly what that release would be here and when. Without that, they'll just buy the game at another store where it will appear earlier.
It reduces the appeal of GOG, it reduces its sales, it reduces its coverage in the gaming media.
The earlier and more potential buyers find out about the game's release here, the bigger the sales will be.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by Loger13
Some very nice classics coming this way.
But I can't understand why we still haven't got the "Dominions" strategy series here :(
tfishell: As an aside I wonder why GOG still hasn't been able to get Psygnosis games.
Likely because Jim Ryan is one of those guys:

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

Now extrapolate this stance in regards to old Playstation titles onto DOS/Win titles from the Psygnosis back catalogue and there's the reason why.

And GoG likely have reached out and asked if they could be handed the keys (in addition to doing all the work on ensuring compatibility and such) on multiple occasions.

WinterSnowfall: Wages of War
Edward_Carnby: Great !
Thanks for the heads up.
The distinct art style of the character portraits in this always stuck out whenever I saw them used by people as their avatars on forums and such.
Nice to finally be able to put a name on the game they're from.

Also - a Jagged Alliance clone from New World Computing, eh? This should be interesting.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by Swedrami
There are a lot of problems with the Psygnosis games, if you think long enough about them.

- Menace / Blood Money -> only good on AMIGA -> that one has problems with kickstart roms (must be licenced, too)

- if we follow that rule, MANY of the old Psygnosis games ("Walker", "Shadow of the Beast 1-3") are out of reach, too.

- "Discworld"-Series -> licence long expired

- "wipEout"-Series -> those had licenced music

Maybe "Lemmings"-Series would still be an option, but the rest? Who still cares about "Ecstatica 1+2", "Innocent until caught" or "Guilty"? I doubt Sony sees potential in re-releasing those here. :(
Post edited May 16, 2021 by Anime-BlackWolf
Ecstatica has a four-figure number of votes, actually: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#search=ecstatica I've no idea how those would translate into sales, but it isn't utterly forgotten.
I could think of quite a couple Psygnosis-developed and/or -published titles (besides the already mentioned Discworld or Lemmings series or the obvious ones like Drakan: Order of the Flame, the Destruction Derby's or Rollcage's) that would still sell reasonably well were they re-released here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psygnosis_Limited#Games_developed_or_published_as_Psygnosis
For me it would be Sentinel Returns although chances are that as the music was made by John Carpenter (which i still think is excellant) there could be rights issue there and some of the other phygnosis games would fall under same issues.

That is one reason why we got purle saturn days but not Captain Blood which had sampled music from Jaen Michelle Jarre.
aluinie: That is one reason why we got purle saturn day but not Captain Blood which had sampled music from Jean-Michel Jarre.
Such a wonderfully weird game.
Hope Microïds or Ziggurat can work something out and re-release it (+ its sequels Commander Blood & Big Bug Bang) on GoG one of these days.
VanishedOne: Ecstatica has a four-figure number of votes, actually: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#search=ecstatica I've no idea how those would translate into sales, but it isn't utterly forgotten.
Problem is, GOG would be okay with sales of four-figures for about 5 Euro each. But would SONY be? Those corporations tend to wage costs of making those games available again (even if they are in-house for their lawyers or other people) against potential sales income. And if those numbers are quite low... :(
Swedrami: Now extrapolate this stance in regards to old Playstation titles onto DOS/Win titles from the Psygnosis back catalogue and there's the reason why.

And GoG likely have reached out and asked if they could be handed the keys (in addition to doing all the work on ensuring compatibility and such) on multiple occasions.
What you wrote is completely wrong, except by one thing - that GOG probably reached out Sony.

The thing is, Sony until recent years (months?) was completely not interested in PC market. They only cared about Playstation. And they definitely didn't care for old PC games catalogue they owned. So if GOG reached Sony before, they were rejected.

Something has changed, we can see some games being ported to PC from Playstation. And probably GOG has reached out Sony again. It's much more a possibility now for a Psygnosis games to appear here, than it was 5 years ago.

I'd love to see Esctatica games here, as well as Discworld (I'm pretty sure IP issues could be resolved here fairly easy, because AFAIK Rhianna Pratchett was not against it and GOG knows how to make such deals). Lemmings are of course another big title. There are other titles that would be a great addition here like i.e. Daughter of the Serpents.

I won't bet on it, but I think that it's very possible that Psygnosis games are in the queue.
Swedrami: Now extrapolate this stance in regards to old Playstation titles onto DOS/Win titles from the Psygnosis back catalogue and there's the reason why.

SLP2000: What you wrote is completely wrong, except by one thing - that GOG probably reached out Sony.

The thing is, Sony until recent years (months?) was completely not interested in PC market. They only cared about Playstation. And they definitely didn't care for old PC games catalogue they owned. So if GOG reached Sony before, they were rejected.

Something has changed, we can see some games being ported to PC from Playstation. And probably GOG has reached out Sony again. It's much more a possibility now for a Psygnosis games to appear here, than it was 5 years ago.

I'd love to see Esctatica games here, as well as Discworld (I'm pretty sure IP issues could be resolved here fairly easy, because AFAIK Rhianna Pratchett was not against it and GOG knows how to make such deals). Lemmings are of course another big title. There are other titles that would be a great addition here like i.e. Daughter of the Serpents.

I won't bet on it, but I think that it's very possible that Psygnosis games are in the queue.
I'd be glad to be wrong of course, but statements like "why would anybody play this", from Sony's head honcho no less, don't instill much hope for Sony's overall investment in game preservation and making old classic titles available again. Especially if it concerns the PC portion of Psygnosis' back catalogue (which I can't imagine Sony caring about that much).
Loger13: ...
I guess the calculation goes more like "if we don't mention an exact date for a gog release, we will provoke double buys of impatient players, that will buy the game a second time, when they finally get a drm free version". That's the impression I got over years of not exact gog release dates and surprise releases here :/
SLP2000: Something has changed, we can see some games being ported to PC from Playstation.
Cynically, I thought it is merely a publicity stunt for PS5.

So, Sony releases some earlier PS4-only games on PC... and then announces their PS5-exclusive sequels or similar.

So Sony making PC gamers interested into certain franchises, whose latest installments are or will be PS5 exclusive (and maybe PS4 too, like Horizon Forbidden West).

Releasing some older Psygnosis games on PC wouldn't have the same incentive.
Loger13: ...
Schlaumayr: I guess the calculation goes more like "if we don't mention an exact date for a gog release, we will provoke double buys of impatient players, that will buy the game a second time, when they finally get a drm free version". That's the impression I got over years of not exact gog release dates and surprise releases here :/
That's possible, though when I think of double-dipping on GOG it's a release with an initial deep discount 70-90% off (like Mad Max a few months ago). I'm not sure how many people would double-dip at (likely) full price with a gap of only 4 months.

In this case, I was thinking it could be something to do with wanting to keep as many sales as possible to one store, to easily track player data (or maybe whatever stores have "forced" clients); Steam naturally but perhaps Epic paid too much money to be ignored on that front.