It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tfishell: It's strange that SEGA let Dotemu release old games DRM-free but not GOG. (assuming GOG didn't reject them, I don't think they did)
What's even stranger is that a good bunch of Sega's catalogue is already DRM-free on Steam: Alpha Protocol, Condemned, a whole bunch of Sonic games, Crazy Taxi, the Sega Emulator Games...
tfishell: It's strange that SEGA let Dotemu release old games DRM-free but not GOG. (assuming GOG didn't reject them, I don't think they did)
fronzelneekburm: What's even stranger is that a good bunch of Sega's catalogue is already DRM-free on Steam: Alpha Protocol, Condemned, a whole bunch of Sonic games, Crazy Taxi, the Sega Emulator Games...
I thought they had Steam DRM applied.
fronzelneekburm: What's even stranger is that a good bunch of Sega's catalogue is already DRM-free on Steam: Alpha Protocol, Condemned, a whole bunch of Sonic games, Crazy Taxi, the Sega Emulator Games...
tfishell: I thought they had Steam DRM applied.
Nope, not all of them. I was also surprised at this. Please refer to the lists here
and here.

If gog would only get the games from that list (plus maybe the preposterously overpriced Shenmue series), that would already be a big win.
Post edited January 29, 2020 by fronzelneekburm
fronzelneekburm: Nope, not all of them. I was also surprised at this. Please refer to the lists here
and here.

If gog would only get the games from that list (plus maybe the preposterously overpriced Shenmue series), that would already be a big win.
See it's stuff like this that suggests to me some publishers are more concerned about the size of GOG's userbase/amount of money to be made here than DRM. Otherwise why wouldn't these DRM-free games already be here?
tfishell: See it's stuff like this that suggests to me some publishers are more concerned about the size of GOG's userbase/amount of money to be made here than DRM. Otherwise why wouldn't these DRM-free games already be here?
Yeah. I mean, just look at the friggen' Epic Store. Not only are their builds of the Batman games DRM-free, they gave them away, rather than sell them here. I'm really at a loss here. Don't these people like money? (whatever little there is to be made on gog)
tfishell: It plays during a boss fight with an "80s obsessed Russian mafioso" apparently.
Oh yeah it does too. I remembered it as if you beat the Russian mafioso you can get his stereo from him for your hideout as a reward, and it plays "Turn Up the Radio" (with a bunch of SFX/ mirror balls etc) when turned on, and had forgotten it also plays during the actual boss fight with him. And that fight isn't optional.
fronzelneekburm: Nope, not all of them. I was also surprised at this. Please refer to the lists here
and here.

tfishell: See it's stuff like this that suggests to me some publishers are more concerned about the size of GOG's userbase/amount of money to be made here than DRM. Otherwise why wouldn't these DRM-free games already be here?
I suppose you couls also blame cultural issues as well.

I don't know how things are right now... I guess they are changing for the better. But for a very long time most japanese publishers were terrified of piracy. So much so that in their minds the western PC market was a "black hole" sucking money because of game pirates.
We all know nowadays that things were never as terrible as that. But Japan - being a very closed culture in certain aspects - didn't facilitate things.
The vast majority of publishers like SEGA were solely focused on the console market because they saw it as a greater obstacle against piracy.

It was only on the last 5 years or so that japanese publishers (probably because of the sales data of Steam) finally "opened their eyes" concerning the gold mine which was the western PC market.
Obviously for most of these publishers PC Gaming = Steam. I'd go so far as saying that perhaps some of the "top guys" from the big japanese publishers really believe that PC games are only playable through Steam.

It was only very recently (2, 3 years? ) that some japanese publishers finally started to notice GOG.
I don't know how far GOG's PR staff have tried to contact publishers like SEGA and the other big guys in order to show them the benefits of selling here. But I have an idea (maybe it's a wrong one) that business in Japan doesn't follow the same rules as in the West.
If SEGA has any employees trawling various websites, they should take note of the rapid interest shown above in this topic with people wanting numerous SEGA games here, even ones sold elsewhere for years.

All I can think of with some of these companies is that they don't want to bring attention to DRM-free gaming. They will occasionally release things DRM-free, but only on DRMed storefronts (Scheme and Epic Fail Store).

So savvy customers can maybe get some of these games DRM-free (only IF the company keeps the game DRM-free on those stores; see Final Fantasy X-X2).

But the majority of people who buy the games won't care and will be running them through clients anyway (even though it is not required).
fronzelneekburm: Yeah. I mean, just look at the friggen' Epic Store. Not only are their builds of the Batman games DRM-free, they gave them away, rather than sell them here. I'm really at a loss here. Don't these people like money? (whatever little there is to be made on gog)
Although, in general, I agree with what has been said, but I must note that the example is unsuccessful:
Batman games is free for users, but not for the publisher. Epic pays (compensate) for this give away. So the publisher, actually, gets the money in this case.
No idea why it was pulled (maybe saving it for tomorrow or for a later release?) but from the looks of it Through The Darkest Of Times will also be available on GoG:
https://i.imgur.com/ROAS470.jpg

Nevermind, it's here now after all:
https://www.gog.com/news/release_through_the_darkest_of_times
Post edited January 30, 2020 by Swedrami
Let's not forget SEGA owns Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Total War. I would love at least COH 1, DOW 1 and all the total wars up to medieval 2 on GOG.
Post edited February 01, 2020 by SuperLibby72
Sega fully supporting GOG would be a very BIG deal. Fingers crossed.
Post edited February 03, 2020 by Barry_Woodward
Slow down guys. I don’t want to upset anyone, but this noise is about nothing.
Just Sega became the publisher of a number of games that are in the catalog. Therefore, the store changed the records so that everything was legally correct (The same changes are made in Steam).
There is no sign that Sega is going to add anything here. At least I do not see such in the current situation. Although, of course, after Blizzard's Diablo I want to believe that anything is possible.
high rated
I've stumbled onto something indicating a GOG release of Florence, but as far as I can tell it's a mobile only game. I guess we could see a PC release soon. I'm still curios as to how this will play out, but at least now you know about as much as I do :).
Post edited February 01, 2020 by WinterSnowfall
high rated
Attentat 1942 and Svoboda 1945 should be coming to GOG:
https://indian-tv.cz/clanek/univerzita-karlova-zalozila-vlastni-herni-studio-charles-games-hwr0et
And SIMULACRA 2 should be coming to GOG, or rather, should have been released last week:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/357430/What_would_you_trade_for_Social_Media_stardom.php