It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vainamoinen: Then again, it's not as if the market was saturated. What new adventure game releases have there been in 2016? We had Shardlight... and that was excellent, with the exception of the ending... and it was on GOG. :)
I've been working for a while now in a couple of post that I might at some point add to the forum. One for old adventures not in GOG (old meaning up until 2010 or so), and another about newer adventure games.
Right now my list of adventure games from 2016 not on GOG is up to 63, although this includes all kind of adventure games (not only point & click), and many of those are episodic (which is the current trend in adventures, a trend that I'm afraid will probably spread to other genres, as seen by hitman and I think the yet-to-come final fantasy vii remake).

A sample...

<span class="bold">Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc</span> (18 Feb, 2016)
<span class="bold">Heaven's Hope</span> (25 Feb, 2016)
<span class="bold">Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet</span> (22 Mar, 2016)
<span class="bold">Goetia</span> (14 Apr, 2016)
<span class="bold">Everybody's Gone To The Rapture</span> (14 Apr, 2016)
<span class="bold">Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter</span> (10 Jun, 2016)
<span class="bold">Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma</span> (29 Jun, 2016)
<span class="bold">Abz&ucirc;</span> (2 Aug, 2016)
<span class="bold">Virginia</span> (22 Sep, 2016)
<span class="bold">King's Quest</span> (27 Sep, 2016)

(I've put some of the most known / critically praised games)

rgnrk: I don't think GOG are interested in p&c adventure games anymore.
micktiegs_8: Kinda fits my theory that the almighty selector of games goes through different phases on genre interest. :p
Yes, but I also think they actually care/take into account some of the forum whining/criticism. They just do it with a delay, so it just kind of never fits the forum's trends. (This theory isn't supported by anything really, but fits with the lack of adventures and the increase of strategy games, so I just went for it).

(That doesn't mean they'll release Bethesda games just right now, as they would do it anyway if the could, regardless of all the daily posts about it).
Post edited October 24, 2016 by rgnrk
rgnrk: A sample...
A whole lot of these games go into AAA territory, and most leave the traditional point & click definition. There was no particular expectation that the new King's Quest would land here, at least not in its original episodic form. Square Enix has as of yet not released anything here that they had not bought up EA-style before. Concerning Virginia, it's probably indie enough and may eventually land here, only to suffer the Baldur's Gate expansion fate to get review bombed by people outraged that happens to have a black female protagonist.

So this may just be a mixture of GOG just not doing their work properly, AAA developers that don't usually publish on GOG anyway and indie developers not giving a damn about DRM free.

Let's hope there's a Halloween sale with some surprises down the line. :)
rgnrk: A sample...
Vainamoinen: A whole lot of these games go into AAA territory, and most leave the traditional point & click definition. There was no particular expectation that the new King's Quest would land here, at least not in its original episodic form. Square Enix has as of yet not released anything here that they had not bought up EA-style before. Concerning Virginia, it's probably indie enough and may eventually land here, only to suffer the Baldur's Gate expansion fate to get review bombed by people outraged that happens to have a black female protagonist.

So this may just be a mixture of GOG just not doing their work properly, AAA developers that don't usually publish on GOG anyway and indie developers not giving a damn about DRM free.

Let's hope there's a Halloween sale with some surprises down the line. :)
It was as an answer as how the market wasn't saturated. I have 63 games in my list already. I just put some of the more known ones, so they are obvioulsy more leant towards the AAA side of things.
GOG could probably have here heaven's hope, nelly cootalot, goetia and virginia easily. Sherlock Holmes is probably a matter of (long) time, as we don't have the previous one yet.
Danganronpa (+ the second one) and zero escape are japanese. So one never knows if it's up to them or because those are kind of visual novels.
Everyone's gone to the rapture is a walking simulator. We already have here A Machine For Pigs from The Chinese Room, but we never got Dear Esther, and there are always lots of haters toward the genre just because. So it might be them or the genre. We don't even have The Stanley Parable, and it got released drm-free in Humble a little while ago. And that's a walking simulator praised by even notorious haters like TB. Abzû and Virginia also fall into these category.
And King Quest is from The Odd Gentlemen; indie developers. It's published by Sierra, so it's maybe AA. And Sierra is from Activision right now, not Square Enix. I'm not expecting them to release it here any time soon, if at all, though. And I rather wait for all the episodes to be over.

Vainamoinen: Concerning Virginia, it's probably indie enough and may eventually land here, only to suffer the Baldur's Gate expansion fate to get review bombed by people outraged that happens to have a black female protagonist.
As for Virginia. Probably some of them would. And others by the fact that it is very short, linear and almost no interactive. For some games it's better to know the experience you are going into. Virginia it's a mute investigation game that some relate to a David Lynch movie.

But quoting Oscar from the adventuregamers forums:

"One of the best of the year, I thought. This is not another sleep-inducing “walking-simulator” like Rapture - it’s tightly directed, never boring and with meaning in every scene. It’s cinematic but it’s one to spend time carefully exploring and thinking about each scene, pen and pencil in hand. It actually really works better as a game than a movie for this reason. You will want to play it again once you’re done, and you should.

The best thing about it is its simplicity. I’m bored of all the outlandish, complicated quantum physics/time-travel end of the world scenarios in games."
Post edited October 24, 2016 by rgnrk
Vainamoinen: Concerning Virginia, it's probably indie enough and may eventually land here, only to suffer the Baldur's Gate expansion fate to get review bombed by people outraged that happens to have a black female protagonist.
There's nothing wrong with having Black, female, or transsexuals characters in games if they're well-integrated and have a good writing and story. What's wrong is if they're merely just used as puppets: "Hey! Look! One of our characters is a minority! We didn't really know what to do with them, though. We just wanted to appear on (the good side of) the press and boost our sale numbers."

rgnrk: We already have here A Machine For Pigs from The Chinese Room, but we never got Dear Esther, and there are always lots of haters toward the genre just because.
I played Dear Esther to the end and I didn't really like it. I felt it was rather bland. I don't remember: Are there notes you have to collect or something? Is there a story and, if so, is it told to the player? Maybe there wasn't enough interaction for my taste or it just didn't captivate me enough, because I don't really have anything against "walking simulators."
Has anyone noticed how the "weekly staff picks" only lasts 3 days? Wasn't it supposed to last until friday?

hmmmmmm... Are we gonna have a special promotion this Thursday?
karnak1: Has anyone noticed how the "weekly staff picks" only lasts 3 days? Wasn't it supposed to last until friday?

don't... don't... don't....
karnak1: Has anyone noticed how the "weekly staff picks" only lasts 3 days? Wasn't it supposed to last until friday?

I SMELL A BIG SALE!

What? 3 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes to go at the time of writing this, i.e. the promo will end on Friday morning, European time. Just like all weekly staff picks, isn't it?
In any case a Halloween event is to be expected, whether it's just a bunch of horror games with a discount, or something bigger that'd include a certain special release.
Spy_Gentleman: I SMELL A BIG SALE!
Let's hope so. I don't think I could stand the Witcher III on the splash page yet again for much longer than three days.

muntdefems: What? 3 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes to go at the time of writing this, i.e. the promo will end on Friday morning, European time. Just like all weekly staff picks, isn't it?
My bad. I thought the 3 days mark already included today as one day.
rodrolliv: In any case a Halloween event is to be expected, whether it's just a bunch of horror games with a discount, or something bigger that'd include a certain special release.
*cough* Killing Time *cough*
high rated
classicgogger: *cough* Killing Time *cough*
Release stream scheduled for Sunday:

http://j.mp/streaming_schedule

Screenshot, in case they change it:
Attachments:
Killing Time is not Special! :P

Spy_Gentleman: I SMELL A BIG SALE!
Vainamoinen: Let's hope so. I don't think I could stand the Witcher III on the splash page yet again for much longer than three days.
Uhm, I noticed the Tiranny banner has disappeared. Guess it'll be back in time for the release.
rodrolliv: Uhm, I noticed the Tiranny banner has disappeared. Guess it'll be back in time for the release.
Now that's suspect!
Why would they put the banner so early, just to remove it some days later? It'd make more sense to put it online a week before the release. Me thinks they're preparing for some other big advertising.
Post edited October 24, 2016 by karnak1