It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
We already have a topic on games finished in 2014, but most of us will also have started games we didn't finish for some reason and quitted, halfway, just before the end or just after getting started.

The reasons might be various: boredom with the game, dislike of the mechanics, struggling too hard with the difficulty. What are your experiences?

What games did you quit in 2014?
Post edited February 08, 2014 by DubConqueror
HAHAHAHA!
Nothing right now but GREAT thread. Big kudos to you Dub, nice idea.
BTW as I'm typing this I'm watching Dutch speed skaters own Russia.
Shattered Haven - was not what I was expecting at all, it was too "platform"-y for my liking. (Not sure if that's the right word, but *shrug*)
Lume - save game doesn't work! (I'm on a Mac, maybe it works fine for PC?).
Survivor Squad - I started out really liking this game a lot, but it gets too repetitive. I may dive back into it again, not sure at this point.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by 01kipper
Anachronox. The game's so good and it's so fun one time, but then in the next few minutes you're bombarded with constant fetch quests and pointless dialogue that it brings all flow of entertainment to a serious halt.
Fable: The Lost Chapters. I still want to play this, but the camera is pretty bad. It swings around very abruptly, and gives me a nasty headache after awhile. I tried to get used to it, but I'm not sure if I can.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by SleepyOwl
DubConqueror: We already have a topic on games finished in 2014, but most of us will also have started games we didn't finish for some reason and quitted, halfway, just before the end or just after getting started.

The reasons might be various: boredom with the game, dislike of the mechanics, struggling too hard with the difficulty. What are your experiences?

Can I ask for some clarifications?

I assume this is only about games we started and quit in 2014, or maybe also about games we started in previous years but of which we recently realized we don't want to play them anymore? And this is also not about games we're stuck in or have lost some enthusiasm about but might give another chance somewhen in the future, despite all? Only those that we've definitely given up on for good, and of which we've decided in 2014 that this was the case?

Because depending on the rules, the lists might turn out quite differently, showcasing either games that we want to like but can't fully enjoy, or games that we really deem rubbish and hardly any fun at all ...
Post edited February 08, 2014 by Leroux
Hydrophobia: Prophecy. I quit at the final boss.

The premise was interesting, escape from a sinking ship, while dealing with enemies. The gameplay itself...is awful. I'm going to save a lot of words and just say that the action parts of the game are awful, really really awful and the platforming sections of the game...are awful.

You would expect the gameplay to be largely centered around water and escaping the ship (since it's the main gimmick...and you're literally on a sinking ship), but instead most of the game is centered around dealing with a room/hallway full of enemies while doing "do this task three times" kind of quests.

The voice acting is campy but decent, the main character's voice actress can't decide if Kate (the main character) is Australian, American, English, Scottish or Irish, and that is reflected by her accent changing every single line.

I really wanted to like this game, I really did...but it's just terrible, perhaps the worst game I've ever played.
DubConqueror: We already have a topic on games finished in 2014, but most of us will also have started games we didn't finish for some reason and quitted, halfway, just before the end or just after getting started.

Fucking X-Com: EU. I don't have Enemy Within yet so the mods available, I can't use. The randomness made me rage uninstall a couple days ago. Had my whole team wiped out with ease.
Wing Commander 2: Special Operations 1. Screw whoever designed that final mission. I ended up looking up the ending on Youtube. I guess I'll move on to SO 2 soon, but I'm not feeling too keen on continuing to smash my head against the first expansion.
Magicka.Mediocre in almost every way.It's tolerable when you play it withothers but then again every game seems more fun with friends...
Post edited February 08, 2014 by Mr.Caine
Nox. I think I made it about halfway through the warrior campaign. I had fun for a few hours, but the game just got too repetitive and boring for me.
Afterfall: Insanity - quit at about 90 minutes. Slog, slog, slog. I'm crazy, you're crazy, everybody is crazy. Is this happening? Is it all in my head? Am I murdering people I love? Am I already locked up in a padded room and imagining all this?

Who cares?

Dead Island - quit at about 90 minutes. Slog, slog, slog. Everybody's sexy. Everybody's bloody. All the people have the same bodies. Plastic breasts, plastic hips, plastic arms and legs and abs. Horrible menu system. How did that get equipped? Wait, now nothing is equipped? How many clicks does it take to equip this? Not playing multiplayer, but visiting "other players" appear, hop about like baboons, try to trade with me. No sympathy for the survivors. Clunky movement and fighting. How did this all happen?

Who cares?

Hotline: Miami - quit after about 25 minutes. Mean, mean, mean. Sordid, dirty, drab, violent. LIke walking down Hollywood Boulevard at 2am in the early 90s. I don't like games that make me feel like shooting heroin. Add to this do-over-until-you-don't-die game mechanics and I'm back at 8 years old playing crappy Atari 2600 games until my fingers bleed. It had a sort of surreal bad dream drug reverie vibe to it, which I suppose is some kind of artistic achievement. But, I don't want to feel that way. So, definitely not the game for me.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by misteryo
I'm getting to the point of quitting Dead Island. Maybe I can't get into open world stuff as much as I did years ago, but I haven't seen anything that wowed me. I kind of like the weapon customization stuff, and combat is sort of fun, but everything else isn't really doing it for me. Oh yeah, there's a bunch of blood and stuff...ok? After playing No More Heroes and other violent things, I'm pretty much desensitized of blood, gore, and all that other stuff.

Right now I'm playing Cry of Fear. A few hours in I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Dead Island.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by RayRay13000
RayRay13000: I'm getting to the point of quitting Dead Island. Maybe I can't get into open stuff as much as I did years ago, but I haven't seen anything that wowed me. I kind of like the weapon customization stuff, and combat is sort of fun, but everything else isn't really doing it for me. Oh yeah, there's a bunch of blood and stuff...ok? After playing No More Heroes and other violent things, I'm pretty much desensitized of blood, gore, and all that other stuff.
My advice - if you are not enjoying Dead Island, quit now. Don't waste any more time.
I forced myself to play the whole thing, hoping that it would get better and that I might like it at some point, but it never happened. 25 hours wasted.
If you can't get into it and enjoy it in the first hour, you won't enjoy the rest of it. It doesn't get more interesting. Nothing changes.
RayRay13000: I'm getting to the point of quitting Dead Island. Maybe I can't get into open stuff as much as I did years ago, but I haven't seen anything that wowed me. I kind of like the weapon customization stuff, and combat is sort of fun, but everything else isn't really doing it for me. Oh yeah, there's a bunch of blood and stuff...ok? After playing No More Heroes and other violent things, I'm pretty much desensitized of blood, gore, and all that other stuff.

Right now I'm playing Cry of Fear. A few hours in I'm not sure if this is better or worse than Dead Island.
Dead Island would have been so much better had it been designed as a single player experience. I still stuck with it though - I've enjoyed everything else Techland have made.