It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

darthspudius: Funny, I was coming in to say exactly this. I felt the same way with The Last of Us. Best game ever apparently, yet the controls are shit and the stealth mechanics are pretty poor. Gave up on it after the 20th time the enemy managed to see me through the wall.
R8V9F5A2: Yet both these games got so much praise. There is something wrong with the priorities if you ask me.
Good story-line and graphics are always nice to have but I think gameplay mechanics should trump everything else.
After all they are supposed to be games and not movies. It matters how you interact with the games.
I've played 'Last of Us' as well and had the same experience as you. Did not finish it either.
Clunky mechanics in stealth games is just not acceptable to me, it quickly deteriorates the experience.
I think the main problem with Blacklist for me is I kept trying to play it like the first 4. I've played them soo much that I can't help but play it the same way. One big killer for me in that game was the check pointing. Screw up and they always send you back to a most awkward position.
Sorapak: Company of heroes campaign: was playing it on hardest difficulty(I think hard? that's the hardest? can't remember) 1st playthrough,got tough luck in one mission tried again lost for just a bit,got bored never tried again :P

I may,finish it,some time :P
I have to say, trying it on a other difficulty might be a better option? :P
Post edited October 14, 2014 by darthspudius
Sorapak: Company of heroes campaign: was playing it on hardest difficulty(I think hard? that's the hardest? can't remember) 1st playthrough,got tough luck in one mission tried again lost for just a bit,got bored never tried again :P

I may,finish it,some time :P
darthspudius: I have to say, trying it on a other difficulty might be a better option? :P
I play everything on hardest first time,exception is if the game has a "test" of sorts before the game starts and suggests difficulty,or,it's based on tabletop rules (like baldurs gate) then I select whats the closest difficulty to those rules.

Yes I'm weird :P
Red Faction. I just quit and uninstalled Red Faction, including deleting my saves. I was near the end of the game and it just stopped being fun. Every single enemy after the middle part of the game is a living breathing sponge with bloated HP and weapons that take you out in less than five hits, enemies start spawning behind you in groups and to make things even better health packs all but disappear. Every encounter was reduced to "boy I hope I can hit each of them the required twenty times regardless of what weapon I use while dodging every single one of their attacks with nobody spawning behind me or else I'll have to reload...again". If it had stopped after you defeat the big bad then I would have much fonder memories of this game than the ones I'll be having.
NoNewTaleToTell: Red Faction. I just quit and uninstalled Red Faction, including deleting my saves. I was near the end of the game and it just stopped being fun. Every single enemy after the middle part of the game is a living breathing sponge with bloated HP and weapons that take you out in less than five hits, enemies start spawning behind you in groups and to make things even better health packs all but disappear. Every encounter was reduced to "boy I hope I can hit each of them the required twenty times regardless of what weapon I use while dodging every single one of their attacks with nobody spawning behind me or else I'll have to reload...again". If it had stopped after you defeat the big bad then I would have much fonder memories of this game than the ones I'll be having.
Yay to me then. :/
NoNewTaleToTell: Red Faction. I just quit and uninstalled Red Faction, including deleting my saves. I was near the end of the game and it just stopped being fun. Every single enemy after the middle part of the game is a living breathing sponge with bloated HP and weapons that take you out in less than five hits, enemies start spawning behind you in groups and to make things even better health packs all but disappear. Every encounter was reduced to "boy I hope I can hit each of them the required twenty times regardless of what weapon I use while dodging every single one of their attacks with nobody spawning behind me or else I'll have to reload...again". If it had stopped after you defeat the big bad then I would have much fonder memories of this game than the ones I'll be having.
realkman666: Yay to me then. :/
Eh, it's not a bad game at all for the most part, it's just that it descends into cheap difficulty around the half way point and it continues sinking deeper into it the longer you play.
Boo Bunny Plague. I was having a lot of fun with it until I came across one of the worst designed boss encounters (and levels) ever and unless the developers release a patch to sort of fix then I'm done with the game. The level is composed of multiple bosses, to get to each boss you have to defeat X (probably around ten) amount of guys. There are ZERO (permanent) checkpoints in this level. By that I mean you get one checkpoint at the beginning of every boss fight but if you quit the game after defeating, say, two bosses, you have to restart the entire level. Apparently there are fifteen bosses (based on in-game dialogue and achievements) but I don't know if that's true.

The boss that made me quit has an attack that makes all the carrots (carrots give you health) turn poisonous and has another attack that absorbs your health and in order to defeat her you have to eat poisoned carrots right before she uses her health absorbing attack. Unfortunately the chance of her turning the carrots poisonous is completely random so you may get her down to half health but then she'll turn the carrots back to normal and absorb all your health (while obviously rehealing using your health). If you eat the normal carrots you can reheal but obviously if she uses her health absorbing attack you're just healing her and hurting yourself. So it just becomes a giant case of hoping she uses her health absorbing attack while the carrots are poisoned. She also likes to run and hide which means you have to try to find poisonous carrots and guesstimate when/if she's going to use her attack as there isn't much of a clue as to when she will. It's a mess.

It's a shame, I was really liking this game, the gameplay is rather mediocre but it's full of personality and character.
English Country Tune
I used to like the different indie puzzle games, but this is just too much. Don't have much interest in such half functioning pretentious indie nonsense any longer.
Gothic 3

Say what you want about open world games being dumbed down but it's not fun for me to wonder all over the world looking for wolves. Oh not 'these' wolves? You meant those wolves. Got it? I don't need waypoints but, more info on the quest than "a cave to the east" would be nice.

Shadow Warrior.

Fun at first but is too damn long. It got boring around chapter 12. I just uninstalled. I might go back to it later.

Rise of the Triad

Kept reloading a quicksave in the middle of firefights. That was a weird bug.
Yesterday, when reviewing for myself all the games that I'm currently playing, I decided to cut down the list by dropping the ones I either don't really like or find too difficult to continue. Most games fall into the category of The "I'm Quitting This Game For Now But I'll Come Back To It In The Future" Thread, but there's two I just found to frustrating to continue at all:

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30: I re-bought this game in 2013 when I decided story-driven fps's aren't so bad after all (I used to only like games like Bf1942, Vietnam and Bf2, fighting on maps against bots). But I get stuck in the same place I got stuck in back in 2005 or so, when I played the game on my Athlon64 machine: there's a farm where you got to deal with some krauts before you come to the difficult part of outflanking a machine gun through the backyard of some houses. But when you survive that, wounded and all, you still got to cross a schoolyard where germans rush at you, before there's any savepoint. And the succession of skirmishes you have to win all over again each time you die, is very frustrating.

Operation Flashpoint: Red River:

[spoiler warning]

The Tzadjjiki's I can handle, but the moment the game gets to the point where the Chinese get into the fight as well and you have to battle swarms of Chinese soldiers, I keep having to reload again and again for not being able to hold them at bay and dying as they get too close in too big numbers.

[end of spoiler]

The frustration in both games boils down to not being able to save when you want to, when you've past a difficult point, but having to continue and survive until the next savepoint, each time throwing you back to the same savepoint when you die.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Return to Castle Wolfenstein are hard as hell as well, but you can save anytime you want. If those games had savepoints at well, they would be just as frustrating and I would have quited in the first area. It's being able to save anytime that adds so much enjoyment to a game. Savepoints are a pain in the backside.
Post edited October 21, 2014 by DubConqueror
Quick update on my quit list

Terraria

I like Minecraft, and I'd seen TB's LP of Terraria, so I figured that I'd like Terraria, and I did enjoy it. Minecraft is a great game for building grandiose structures and generally mellowing out, but I liked the idea of trying out a game wherein building had more of a functional purpose and there was more of an emphasis on combat. I took on most of the normal mode bosses (usually dying at least once from my stupidity, but I fixed that), and eventually took on the Wall of Flesh. By this point, I was rolling in the good stuff, both in terms of armor and weapons, so I figured that I could take whatever the game dished out.

One pirate invasion later, and my mighty blend of three different swords was barely doing any damage to enemies, and I quickly got killed, with the rest of the pirates advancing on my housing. The difficulty spike was so massive that I abandoned the game; I might come back to it later, but not any time this year.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior. So in the five minutes I spent playing it I learned that A: running noisily to a bush and ducking behind it makes you invisible to your would be pursuers and B: The very first level starts with you being tasked with clearing out enemies in close encounters...even though you're supposed to be a sniper...hence the title of the game. Why is this a thing? Oh, the intro video and the menu's background image are both upside down. Yep. I spent more time downloading it then i did playing it, I guess the time spent waiting for it to download was kinda fun...
Jonesy89: Quick update on my quit list

Terraria

I like Minecraft, and I'd seen TB's LP of Terraria, so I figured that I'd like Terraria, and I did enjoy it. Minecraft is a great game for building grandiose structures and generally mellowing out, but I liked the idea of trying out a game wherein building had more of a functional purpose and there was more of an emphasis on combat. I took on most of the normal mode bosses (usually dying at least once from my stupidity, but I fixed that), and eventually took on the Wall of Flesh. By this point, I was rolling in the good stuff, both in terms of armor and weapons, so I figured that I could take whatever the game dished out.

One pirate invasion later, and my mighty blend of three different swords was barely doing any damage to enemies, and I quickly got killed, with the rest of the pirates advancing on my housing. The difficulty spike was so massive that I abandoned the game; I might come back to it later, but not any time this year.
Terraira has a big difficulty spike when you defeat the wall of flash.What helps is to go and get to adamantium,use potions and getting the nimbus rod from the cloud enemy which defeats the destroyer boss fast.After that it gets easier.
NoNewTaleToTell: Sniper: Ghost Warrior. So in the five minutes I spent playing it I learned that A: running noisily to a bush and ducking behind it makes you invisible to your would be pursuers and B: The very first level starts with you being tasked with clearing out enemies in close encounters...even though you're supposed to be a sniper...hence the title of the game. Why is this a thing? Oh, the intro video and the menu's background image are both upside down. Yep. I spent more time downloading it then i did playing it, I guess the time spent waiting for it to download was kinda fun...
I didn't make it past 10 minutes. I was so fucking mad, really angry at wasting time and bandwidth. Now my pressure is back up. Thanks...
Maybe I just suck, but I'm currently getting frustrated with quite a few titles, to an extent that makes me wonder whether I should just leave them alone instead of wasting my time with them, because they aren't even great games to begin with.

There's Murdered: Soul Suspect, the gameplay of which mostly consists of limited exploration and pixel-hunting, but it's still nice enough to play it for the setting and stories, but then they had to add these annoying stealth sections that are made worse by the imprecise controls that only allow you attack or hide when your invisible gamepad crosshair passes over small hotspots - you can easily miss them if you're too close, too - which is a real nightmare for tense action sequences. Given the horrible controls, it can be quite an achievement to defeat one opponent alone, but then there are three or four, and if you die because you missed a hotspot during the two seconds before an opponent turns and spots you, you have to start from the beginning again.

And there's Enslaved: Odyssee to the West with its weird idea on how to set checkpoints, including the fact that restarting from a checkpoint removes the collectables you've already gathered, even though there's no challenge in collecting them, it's just tedious. I've had to restart sections after beating the actual challenge, only because I went a few steps back to pick up some missed collectables and the game decided at random that I was moving too far away from my companion and killed me for it, just like that. And it's not even as if you can backtrack freely in this game, it constantly cuts you off from areas you already passed through, and I literally just walked a 100 meters or so away, in the same area that the challenge took place in. An equally silly design choice is that you can only access your upgrade menu when your companion is available, and she tends to vanish in the parts where you'd need it most, when you're on your own or in a boss fight and realize you might fare better after learning new combos or upgrading your health. You can't even look up the keys for a combo when your companion is not around, because they are not displayed in the control option menu, but only in the inaccessible upgrade menu.

Binary Domain put an obstacle in my path without explaining how to remove it, so I experimented a bit and in the end I died, only to start from scratch several rooms and opponents further back. What is it with these damn checkpoints? There was no challenge whatsoever in defeating these opponents, why do I have to waste my time with doing it all over?

Then I tried Zeno Clash 2 and I almost failed at completing the tutorial already because it asked me to press 3-4 buttons in a row but the game reacted very badly to the input and ignored half of the commands I gave it or mistook them for other commands ... (Not to mention that it's quite overwhelming if you have to memorize 20 combos or so before you've even started.)

Why won't these games just let me press buttons and save whenever I feel like it? Maybe I'm just having a bad phase or something, but all these tedious mechanics of "Simon Says" and "Rinse and Repeat" are so far removed from fun for me that I wonder why I even bother and waste my time with this stuff. But what else to play? Hm.

/rant
Post edited October 30, 2014 by Leroux
Leroux: Binary Domain put an obstacle in my path without explaining how to remove it, so I experimented a bit and in the end I died, only to start from scratch several rooms and opponents further back. What is it with these damn checkpoints? There was no challenge whatsoever in defeating these opponents, why do I have to waste my time with doing it all over?
Just keep going, it's awesome. I was frustrated a few times, but it's worth it.

Maybe you should mix these games with quicker levels like Doorkickers and Escape Goat 2.
Post edited October 30, 2014 by realkman666