It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Victor Vran

Another ARPG that cannot hold its own to the absolute polish that is Diablo 3. The graphics are incredible as well as the music but not much else. Camera work and pathfinding leave a lot to be desired and made me frustrated more often than not. I never ever really felt powerful as the monsters scale to your own level. Finding good loot was often difficult. Story was ok. 5/10

I've tried Torchlight 1 and by god it was incredibly boring. Heard Torchlight 2 was simply the same with multiplayer tacked on. Hopefully Titan Quest: Anniversary and Grim Dawn are better.
Bioforge

This game is very similar to resident evil, in that you run around dodging enemies, looking for objects that can be barely distinguishable from the background and solving infuriating puzzles. However it is much more difficult, because unlike resident evil, the enemies have guns, and if you get shot, you will fall down, slowly get up and immediately get shot and fall down again. The hand to hand combat has 16 different attacks yet you mostly only alternate between 2 of them to use it successfully. One infuriating part was that the puzzles were hard, but the walkthroughs are inaccurate in several places (YT let's Plays are most useful). I persevered though thinking it would get better. Anyone whose played this game can probably guess where I quit, the part with the bomb, which is infuriating due to the short time limit and its desire to remind you whilst running how much time you have left by switching to a screen that you must then press escape to get rid of. I wasn't having fun playing it so I have no desire to go back to it.
<span class="bold">Dungeon Crawlers HD</span> (Steam)

This is a very simple turn-based dungeon-crawling game in a fantasy setting.

You have four characters, each with their own class, who level up automatically as you gain XP by defeating monsters. The humour in the game (which is based on the premise “What if the Ghostbusters were dungeon crawlers?”) was just simply not very funny.

I enjoyed it at the start but after a while I realised that there is not a lot of strategy involved, the outcome of the battles seemed to be based mostly on luck. I eventually just got bored of it and quit.

~~~~

<span class="bold">Goat Simulator</span> (PS4)

My 9-year-old son enjoys this game a lot and has (almost) all the DLC, so I thought I’d give a try too.

I found it to be quite fun for the couple of hours, when played as a silly time-waster where you just goof around and explore. I didn’t get all the collectibles and unlock all the special skins (nor did I even try, I wouldn’t want to take the game that seriously).

The DLCs I found to be a bit less interesting because they are more goal-oriented.
opticq: I've tried Torchlight 1 and by god it was incredibly boring. Heard Torchlight 2 was simply the same with multiplayer tacked on. Hopefully Titan Quest: Anniversary and Grim Dawn are better.
Depends on what you mean by "same." TL2 has a number of similarities (pet companion, art style) but the level layouts are better, and a mix of indoor/outdoor environs, skill trees are better flushed out, and combat is more active/enjoyable imo.

I didn't think TL1 was boring (though I quit it somewhere around the last boss rather than grind a few levels to match up better), but TL2 is a better game in almost every respect.

Still, if it's the art style you can't get with, then yeah, that's not going to improve. Nearly everything else is better though.
opticq: Painkiller Black Edition
Doesn't seem like there's any depth or story? Go into a room, kill all enemies. Rinse repeat. I could overlook it if the problem was just the lack of the story but it seems like there's no difference between levels/ramping of gameplay. Don't think I can buy the other ones if they follow this same pattern.
Strange to accuse an all time great FPS of being nothing more than an FPS. Of course there's not much story: it's an FPS action game. Why would you play it for its story. Perhaps you're used to today's newbie FPS games where this is a little story but no game?

fishbaits: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

42gig DL, only to find out it suffers from consoleitis.
Multiple actions bound to single keys. :/
I got that because I was told it was a 'bit like Batman'. I think what he meant was that the combat was 'like Batman' and nothing else because that's all there is. Imagine the Arkham series with only fighting: no exploration, no gadgets, no story and no stealth.
Post edited April 13, 2017 by psadler
Doesn't seem like there's any depth or story? Go into a room, kill all enemies. Rinse repeat. I could overlook it if the problem was just the lack of the story but it seems like there's no difference between levels/ramping of gameplay. Don't think I can buy the other ones if they follow this same pattern.
psadler: Strange to accuse an all time great FPS of being nothing more than an FPS. Of course there's not much story: it's an FPS action game. Why would you play it for its story. Perhaps you're used to today's newbie FPS games where this is a little story but no game?
Not really actually, the only FPSes I've ever played and that too quite religiously has been the Bioshock and Halo series. All of which have very tight mechanics and a good amount of story to varying degrees.

Yes Bioshock Infinite was shoot some enemies in an area and rinse repeat, but the story more than made up for that. Bioshock 2 improved on the gameplay that Bioshock 1 had, but had a weaker story. Halo always had tight mechanics and a great story. Bioshock 1 is my all time favorite game.

I really wanted to like Painkiller and most likely would have kept going if there was more story.

I still have the Metro and Crysis games to play here. Any recommendations for other FPSes?
Post edited April 13, 2017 by opticq
psadler: Strange to accuse an all time great FPS of being nothing more than an FPS. Of course there's not much story: it's an FPS action game. Why would you play it for its story. Perhaps you're used to today's newbie FPS games where this is a little story but no game?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_quit_in_2015/post324
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_quit_in_2015/post325
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_quit_in_2015/post327
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_quit_in_2015/post328
opticq: I've tried Torchlight 1 and by god it was incredibly boring. Heard Torchlight 2 was simply the same with multiplayer tacked on. Hopefully Titan Quest: Anniversary and Grim Dawn are better.
bler144: Depends on what you mean by "same." TL2 has a number of similarities (pet companion, art style) but the level layouts are better, and a mix of indoor/outdoor environs, skill trees are better flushed out, and combat is more active/enjoyable imo.

I didn't think TL1 was boring (though I quit it somewhere around the last boss rather than grind a few levels to match up better), but TL2 is a better game in almost every respect.

Still, if it's the art style you can't get with, then yeah, that's not going to improve. Nearly everything else is better though.
See it wasn't even the art or the music, I thought those were perfect. The story did not grab my attention. Yes I know I tend to put more of an emphasis on story but that's my preference. I can overlook the story if the gameplay felt fluid and more engaging and for some reason it never did for me. I might try TL2 down the road though since you're saying it's more active.
opticq: Victor Vran

Another ARPG that cannot hold its own to the absolute polish that is Diablo 3. The graphics are incredible as well as the music but not much else. Camera work and pathfinding leave a lot to be desired and made me frustrated more often than not. I never ever really felt powerful as the monsters scale to your own level. Finding good loot was often difficult. Story was ok. 5/10

I've tried Torchlight 1 and by god it was incredibly boring. Heard Torchlight 2 was simply the same with multiplayer tacked on. Hopefully Titan Quest: Anniversary and Grim Dawn are better.
I also quit Victor Vran. Great graphics and at some points the combat turns very interesting but it feels like lacks rewarding. I don't like collect trash to resell and have the invetory full of trash.
Klumpen0815: snip
Haha, glad to see others share some of my opinions :)

nicohvc: snip
I think you hit the nail on the head. I had to sell my entire inventory of picked up items to be able get something worth equipping from the vendors. That's not a really good way to entice users to play your game in my opinion. I should feel good getting pickups because theres a chance it will be better/what I want.
nicohvc: I also quit Victor Vran. Great graphics and at some points the combat turns very interesting but it feels like lacks rewarding. I don't like collect trash to resell and have the invetory full of trash.
I also quit VV somewhere around lvl 20. The 'new' mechanic of tying character development entirely to gear was ...something I guess. Seemed to borrow a bit from GW2, and if you boil it down to just that detail I thought the weapon skills were well conceived and good for mix/match in theory to suit whatever playstyle someone wants.

But no skill tree, minimal benefits to leveling. Even more than other games I felt like it made the game completely dependent on the RNG of drops of weapons or spells.

Want to play a shotgun/hammer combo? Well, too bad! Only thing dropping for you worth anything is these 78 swords! Hope you like sword/sword combos!

Meh.
<span class="bold">Dragon Age: Inquisition</span> (PS4)

This is an open-world RPG.

On the positive side, the characters, story, and role-playing are quite nice, I actually found myself enjoying them a lot more than I thought I would. I’ve never played a Dragon Age game before, so all the lore was new to me. Still, there was way too much of this.

However, where the game really falls apart is in the gameplay. The side quests are simply boring and tedious. There are too many different loot items, often with only slight differences between them. The combat is a variation of real-time-with-pause, I found it boring and repetitive with bullet-spongey (arrow-spongey?) enemies.

For me, gameplay trumps story/characters by a large margin. I put well over 10 hours into this game, but once the gameplay became tedious I could not enjoy this game any longer and I quit.
I'm thinking about quitting Eschalon Book 1. The story, setting and quests are nice enough, not really special but still somewhat interesting. And the exploration aspect of this 2D 'open world' RPG would be really fun, if it wasn't for the slow walking speed and all the backtracking involved due to the lack of shortcuts and the sparsity of quick travel points.

In addition to that, the combat is so simplistic and tedious in the long run, there doesn't even seem to be AOE attack spells to deal with several opponents at the same time. It has to be noted that there's a world of difference in difficulty between my older jack-of-several-trades-characters I created casually without prior knowledge, and my current min/max mage with fast mana regeneration that I created after studying all the advice on the net. But it still doesn't make the combat very interesting. The worst is that by following a normal quest line, I got trapped in an area by a seemingly never ending horde of hive drones. I've already fought dozens of them, one by one, which was pretty boring, but there is no indication that I've thinned out their numbers in any way; it just goes on and on, and the tedium lets my mind drift off to realize how boring the actual gameplay is for then most part, and what a waste of time ...
Post edited April 21, 2017 by Leroux
ljyoun: Two games for this, easily...

The Elder Scrolls Online

Tried this one after a marathon of Morrowind on the constant recommendations that it was fun. I tried the first several quests and just quit. It did not click for me. It felt too much like a mixture of the worst elements of Skyrim with the most generic elements of a MMO.

Command & Conquer: Generals

God, where do I start with this one? I tried this after messing around with OpenRA (Red Alert and Tiberian Dawn) and Renegade, and just felt disappointed. Disappointed by the generic setting. Disappointed by the feeling that it just tried to be an almost "Modern StarCraft" kind of game with its interface and mechanics. Disappointed by the removal of the story and FMV sequences that made it a campy and fun delight of a series. It felt off and it felt wrong.
A lot of Command and Conquer fans refer to C and C Generals as CNCINO ...Command And Conquer In Name Only
No NOD,no Red Alert Alternate History, no connection with the other games in the series.
Its like the game was developed as an RTS that was not a C and C game ,but EA decided to stick on the C and C label as the last minute as a marketing gimmick.
Post edited April 21, 2017 by dudalb
Momodora is tempting me to quit. The bosses drop items, but this is based on a condition: Defeat the boss without being hit. I really hate that kind of masochistic challenge, and the graphics don't help. The issue with the graphics is that enemy tells and player attacks tend to blend into each other, which makes it hard to spot an incoming attack. Worse, if you get hit while trying to get the drop, you will have to reload from a checkpoint and make your way to the boss...activate your attack boosts...listen to the boss speech...and THEN get to fight. Having an option to automatically reset the fight if hit would cut out a fair bit of tedium.