It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dogmaus:
27 the Eternal Castle [REMASTERED]
Despite the name and the GCA esthetics it's a new game that re-elaborates Eric Chahi/Another World gameplay of 2D action adventure, doned with a CGA graphic.
Wanting to play a game in CGA is like nostalgia to time you were in the hospital with a broken leg. :-P
Anyway, if people enjoy it, that's all that counts.
samuraigaiden: Quantum Conundrum

It's not very good. The puzzles are acceptable but everything else is weak. The developers hired a famous actor for the narrator role, but didn't hire a good writer to make his lines worth listening to.

Chrome

It's fun for people who can appreciate some classic jank. Level design is great, with big levels open for several different approaches. It inserts Deus Ex-style augments on a pure FPS setting in a proto-Crysis kinda way - and they do it in a fun way. Unfortuntately, the AI is one of the worst in any FPS game. If you aren't prone or crouching, you'll be hit by bullets as soon as you enter the enemy line of sight.

Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean

Classic 16-bit JRPG on a 32-bit console. It's OK, but anyone who isn't experienced in the genre should play the classics first. Some late bosses have ridiculously huge health pools and take easily more than 30 minutes to kill, which sucks.

Prey (2017)

Got this one on the GOG Summer Sale. It's a true immersive sim from the same vintage as Deus Ex and System Shock 2. I beat it on Nightmare difficulty with survival mechanics turned on in about 45 hours - and I'm already itching for a second run at it. It's that good.

If you love the original Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and you think they just don't make games like that anymore, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

Another World

This game is cool but kind of annoying. I can only imagine how much more annoying it was back in the day, without being able to google a solution when you get stuck and having basically one checkpoint per level - the 20th anniversary edition gives you more checkpoints through the levels. I'd say it's worth playing after a bit of reading about the game, how it was made and it's historical importance. That knowledge will give you motivation to push through when the game kicks you in the nuts several times in a row.

Super Mario World

More than a quarter of a century after I began playing this game, I finally did a full 96 exit run. As a kid, I always used the Star Road to cheat my way to Bowser, so the entirety of Chocolate Island and Bowser's Valley was new to me. I also had never played the Special levels. What can I say? It's a flawless classic.
Did you finish Super Mario World using a emulator?
Dogmaus:
Despite the name and the GCA esthetics it's a new game that re-elaborates Eric Chahi/Another World gameplay of 2D action adventure, doned with a CGA graphic.
teceem: Wanting to play a game in CGA is like nostalgia to time you were in the hospital with a broken leg. :-P
if you watch some gameplay or the trailer you will see that the graphics are actually modern but with a CGA-like palette and pixel art. Animation is fluid and gameplay is not of that age. Light and smoke effects are not of that age. That's why it pretends to be a "remaster" of a 1987 game.
Still, I don't get the comparison.
Post edited July 26, 2020 by Dogmaus
teceem: Wanting to play a game in CGA is like nostalgia to time you were in the hospital with a broken leg. :-P
Dogmaus: if you watch some gameplay or the trailer you will see that the graphics are actually modern but with a CGA-like palette and pixel art. Animation is fluid and gameplay is not of that age. Light and smoke effects are not of that age. That's why it pretends to be a "remaster" of a 1987 game.
Still, I don't get the comparison.
The comparison/analogy means: I played CGA games back in the day because I had no other option. People with an Amiga/console/other home computer got to play the superior versions in full color. (CGA wasn't usually a "designer's choice" - it was a PC (port) limitation)
And here's some more context: (some/many) people think back of their youth/childhood with nostalgic feelings and often have forgotten everything that sucked about it.
Post edited July 26, 2020 by teceem
PLASMA97: Damn, it took me about 20 hours on the same difficulty. I wonder how much content I missed.
I usually take longer than average to beat games, but I'm sure I missed some stuff too. There's a lot of stuff in that game.

Bass47: Did you finish Super Mario World using a emulator?
Yes, I used the latest BSNES build.
Dogmaus:
Despite the name and the GCA esthetics it's a new game that re-elaborates Eric Chahi/Another World gameplay of 2D action adventure, doned with a CGA-like graphic art style. The soundtrack does that John Carpenter/Vangelis thing. The "remaster" lays in the more modern gameplay, the fluid well animated movements. The jump is assisted, a little bit like Dead Cells does, so platforming does not get frustrating. If you fall it's your fault, not of some stupid 1 pixel miss. The storyline is a bit vague at the beginning but as you proceed the puzzle gets more pieces and you can put togher a simple story. Still after the ending I am not sure of something.
I've had my eye on this one for a while but never quite pulled the trigger on buying because I think I was waiting to see if it showed up on GOG, too. I'll probably get it next time it's on sale, though...
Borderlands 2 and the DLC Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep

Great game, great characters, good humour, and with a ridiculous amount of content. Only don't go into it expecting any in depth RPG mechanics as much as world interaction is concerned. NPCs are mostly good only for quest giving. From this point of view it's much more like a standard hack and slash from first person perspective, but with tons of guns.

Also, one definitely shouldn't neglect the DLCs, especially if Tiny Tina's dlc is anything to go by - it's way better than the already good base game.
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

+ Great RTS!
+ Very cinematic, good FMV.
- The first few Scrin missions were a bit TOO difficult.
I'm now playing Kane's Wrath, and have something to add:
- I try to complete the bonus objectives, but I don't care that much if I fail one. All you get is a "medal" anyway. I wish it was a bit more meaningful.
Today, I've finally started Journey on my PS4, after many recommendations from my friends. And I have to say, I am much more than impressed by this game. Took me just little bit over 2 hours to finish it solo, but this game easily blown away most of the games I've seen and played last few years. This game is artistic masterpiece and it is unbelievably relaxing to play after more than a month Dark Souls :D .

All my finished games can be found here >>>HERE<<<
For the second time brilliant Blade Runner, this time ending when I helped replicants and left with them and also another ending when I escaped with Lucy. Although I made my first walktrough recently, not even two months ago I enjoy game play very much, this time in restored content mode. I found some new clues, new approaches, realized, that many conversations can happen only if you make certain decision (= you must choose only one) and it led to almost new game experience. This game deserves the highest ratings!
Post edited August 01, 2020 by IXOXI
Trails in the Sky SC. If you liked the first game, this is more of it. Literally, the game takes place in the same engine with many of the exact same maps, with most of the new content being the writing and new monsters to fight. The story is bigger and more epic, but it still retains that flavor of the heroes focusing as much on helping people with local problems as they do on chasing supervillains around, which I like.

The story isn't bad, although I wish Estelle, in particular as the central protagonist, had better dialogue. Maybe it works better in the original Japanese language, but in English she sounds like a witless social media addict. She's likable enough but I don't think I can remember her saying a single memorable or interesting thing. Just a lot of variations on "I'm so going to smack you, dude!" or whatever. I guess I should be thankful that she doesn't start her sentences by saying "Hey, y'all..." or "Listen up!" These games are pretty good about not requiring a lot of grinding, but I believe I did have to grind more than I did in the first game. Most of the time you just need to not skip around enemies, unless you're only getting a handful of XP per kill.

These games also indulge a lot in a pet peeve I have in that there's a lack of continuity between what you're doing in your gameplay vs. what's happening the cutscenes. You could absolutely Deliverance-rape a boss encounter, but nearly every time the post-fight cutscene plays, the bad guy is standing there unperturbed and talking down to you like you're some kind of pathetic geek not worth wasting time on, and then they usually skip off and you're left with the prospect of having to beat them up again later (and go through the exact same "Ha, you almost made me break a sweat! How irritating!" routine).

I should emphasize that I'm nitpicking a lot here. I like these games and I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the series, especially since I've heard the Cold Steel games are even better.
Post edited August 03, 2020 by andysheets1975
2064: Read Only Memories, Aug 2 (Itch)- A pretty good game but very light on the 'game' portions. Its mostly a vehicle for the designers to tell a story with some slight dialogue options to influence things. The story itself is pretty good with a cyberpunk noir theme that starts as you try to track down your missing friend. Things progress from there as you get tangled up in a big corporate conspiracy. The characters and voice acting are all good with really just one exception. The player character was a little strange in that your robot sidekick did the majority of the talking to the point that it seemed weird when another character was talking directly to you. Towards the end I just started deferring to him since it was really his story not mine. Overall a pretty fun story even without much gameplay.

Full List
Metal Slug (1996) (Linux)
Metal Slug 2 (1998) (Linux)
Metal Slug 3 (2000) (Linux)
Metal Slug X (1999) (Linux)

I've never played these games before – and now I love them! Each of them offers about 1h of fantastic gameplay, perfect graphics, a lot of action and smart sense of humour. It's like playing a main role in one of these awesome B-class action movies, where every single second is packed with jumps, bullets and explosions. What I really liked is respawning just in place where you die, which definitely eliminates frustration factor. With 10 levels of difficulty, it also makes everyone able to enjoy the series. The only disappointment for me was that MSX is actually = MS2 (better from technical point of view only); I haven't know that. It's also sad that there seems to be more MS games, which are unavailable here, on GOG.

PS. Oh, I forgot to mention – all Metal Slug games are marked as Windows only, but they're actually provided with Mac and Linux instrallers, which are available in Extras section (where manuals and other goodies usually are).

List of all games completed in 2020.
Post edited August 07, 2020 by ciemnogrodzianin
Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure. Like the name says, it's Thimbleweed Park but mini. It's amusing for a bit. You solve simple puzzles (although the "home demolition" one did give me some fits) and get some funny dialogue. The game even encourages you to take your time by shutting down as soon as you get 5 out of the 30 total photos needed before you get the actual ending. I liked Thimbleweed Park and even if I didn't like this, I couldn't complain much since it's free.
Helltaker (2020) (Linux)

Nicely drawn game with interesting setting, gameplay-wise it's closely related to sokoban (that's why I was interested, expected some smart puzzle) – until some arcade elements appears. It's very short and probably the best short review should be: wasted potential. I didn't liked that there seems to be only one possible solution to all the puzzles. What I liked is Linux version and price equal to zero.

List of all games completed in 2020.