It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Half-Life

Biggest bitch of a final boss battle I have EVER had.

Whoever designed that should be shot. Even when you are kicking his ass you can't tell.
<span class="bold">Q.U.B.E.: Director&rsquo;s Cut</span> (I played the HB version)

This is a first-person puzzle game where you have to manipulate blocks in a room to solve a puzzle, then move to the next room and repeat. There is some variety in the puzzles, including: platforming, moving a ball around, guiding light beams, and moving the walls of the room itself. I found it to be quite fun, the puzzles were mostly quite easy, but some required more thought and I never had to refer to a walkthrough. The story is passable, and doesn’t interfere with the game. The game can be completed in several hours, and I’d recommend it if you enjoy puzzle games.
tinyE: Half-Life

Whoever designed that should be shot. Even when you are kicking his ass you can't tell.
It's a bit silly, but after doing it the third time you'll find it really easy...
tinyE: Half-Life

toxicTom: It's a bit silly, but after doing it the third time you'll find it really easy...
I SHANT BE DOING IT A SECOND OR THIRD TIME!!! :P

Destroy the crystals, they said.
His head will open right up, they said.
It's a piece of cake, they said!
Post edited February 18, 2017 by tinyE
League of Lonely Geologists

So, it's not a game that ends. I enjoyed playing a bit, figuring out what to do. But, the trading aspect is the big idea of the game, and as such it suffers from the same pitfalls as all players-as-content games (griefers, people who don't care, uneveness, etc). Also, the interface is serviceable, but not exactly rich. Flipping through hundreds of pages one by one, when everything is unsorted gets old quickly. It's also entirely one-note around the hook, and I just don't find it compelling enough to spend more time with. YMMV
Undertale. I thought it was pretty good. It's just a charming experience and I like the dodging as a gameplay mechanic. I did the initial final boss, and then replayed the last section of the game to get the true ending. I know people say you can do the genocide run for yet another ending, but eh, maybe I'll do that someday but not immediately.

The game uses the medium in some clever ways, and I loved how it remembers your save game information. The game obviously wants you to play it nonviolently - the smug potential was really high but the developers showed some admirable restraint regarding their themes - but I still accidentally killed one character early on because I didn't know what I was doing. So I quit and restored the game and replayed the fight and did it properly. Afterward Flowey appeared and called me a murderer who was abusing the rules of time and space to get what I wanted. That made me smile :)

I would say it's just the right length, but I did start getting a little fatigued during the Mettaton section because I felt like I was fighting the same character over and over compared to other sections, getting sucked back in just when I was ready to move on finally. I felt maybe there was a little bit of padding going on around there, but it could have been worse.
Ryse: Son of Rome

Very simple, very easy, very linear 3D brawler with good graphics and cinematics, and nice enough story-telling, even though the story is rather predictable and not all that great, but still, it managed to keep me interested. They took a lot of liberties with history and mythology, or better yet, the game seems to be set in an alternative line of history, and even the language sounded a bit off for the setting at times ("yes, sir", "open fire"), not to mention some other silly oversights (swimming with armor etc.), but it was entertaining all the same, or even because of that. The game looks and sounds pretty good, and playing it is like watching a Hollywood movie.

The gameplay on the other hand is very repetitive. You can attack, block, shield bash and dodge, and that's all you need to do in melee from the beginning to the end. You don't learn any extra moves or special combos, and you don't need them to defeat all the opponents either. There is some mild variation in the opponents, but they can all be defeated in the same way. And the boss fights are the same, only that they defend better against some attacks than others, e.g. shield bash might not work as well, so you just block and counter-attack instead. And the rest, finishers or special defenses, are handled by QTEs, highlighting the opponents in the colors of the Xbox gamepad buttons to press. The finishers can fill up your health or "focus" etc. And you have one special attack that costs "focus" and slows down time. And that's all there is to the brawler.

The brawler gameplay sometimes alternates with other styles, like the obligatory AAA action game turret sections (with auto-aim, to a certain degree), shield wall (move forward, block arrows and command to shoot), throwing of pila (auto-aim), and sometimes you take over command and can decide between two defense strategies for your Roman troops, when you're not fighting on your own. All of these gameplay elements are very simple, but they help to ease the repetitiveness of the melee combat and keep things somewhat interesting.

There are also RPG elements like leveling up and spending your XP on various "skills", but they are pretty insignificant and mostly only determine how much health, focus etc. you can store and how much health, focus etc. you gain by finishers. The latter made the game even easier (on Normal difficulty). I never really bothered with the other "skills", I just set the finishers to restore my health, so every time I defeated an opponent, I got at least half if not most of my health back.

And there are some nice collectible rewards in the game (comic book pages), but if you ask me, I think collectibles have no place in a linear story-telling game like this. There is hardly room for exploration, as you just run ahead along the corridors the game opens for you and then often shuts behind you, so hunting for collectibles is just looking in every corner of the corridors, hoping not for overlook anything, because you can never come back for it, and you probably wouldn't want to replay the whole campaign after learning the whole story once, seeing how simple and repetitive the gameplay is. Apart from that, searching for collectibles in every corner seriously undermines the urgency of the matters in the story and breaks immersion (I thought the same about Spec Ops: The Line; it's just silly to put collectibles in games like that).

Not sure if I would recommend the game to anyone, but I had a bit of fun with it nevertheless, despite all its flaws, and the campaign is just 6 hours long or so.
Post edited February 18, 2017 by Leroux
The Witcher 1.

There was quite a bit about the game I didn't like that much...a lot of small gameplay issues like inventory size annoyed me, the combat is simplistic, and the story is over-ambitious imo and in the end falls flat. Definitely not a classic imo. But it's still a good and entertaining game with decent length. 3/5 from me.

List of my games completed in 2017:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2017/post77
Post edited February 19, 2017 by morolf
Firewatch

Two minor complaints: While the game can be played with a gamepad, you still only get prompts like "Press Space to ..." etc., so you have to figure out the according gamepad buttons yourself. And, just like in Oxenfree, I didn't like that you could miss an opportunity to say something if you took too long to reply or you accidentally went ahead too fast or were busy with other things at the same time. Apart from that, it was great, I loved it!
Post edited February 19, 2017 by Leroux
Finished Loom for the first time since at least 20 years. I didn't really remember the puzzles and the game but everything is logical and the game is great !! Too bad for the different versions issues (voices but no close ups...). Maybe a remaster would be a good idea ?

Full list here.
Maniac Mansion

Isn't it great when they bag an older game with a newer game, like playing Super Hang On in Shenmue or Escape From Butcher Bay bundled with Assault on Dark Athena, and in this case the first maniac mansion as a hidden extra in Day of the Tentacle.

You play Dave, a college student whose girlfriend has been kidnapped by the maniacal Dr Fred, you must work together with 2 of your closest friends consisting of 6 brave men and woman (And Bernard). It hasn't aged well compared with other Point and Clicks. This was made before the policy of not letting the protagonist to get killed, which can be accomplished by Microwaving a hamster and showing the remains to the owner or by inhaling radioactive steam. You can change which 2 of your friends to bring along with you, resulting in you needing to find a different way to solve the puzzles as each character has their own strengths and weaknesses.

The puzzles were really difficult, especially as the graphics weren't good enough to distinguish between a secret panel in a wall and the wall itself. I had to follow a walkthrough for a lot of it, but it came free with Day of the Tentacle so who am I to complain.
sebarnolds: Finished Loom ...
I don't know how many times I've played through that one... first time on Amiga.

magejake50: Maniac Mansion
Congrats, really, even if you used a walkthrough. I think MM is really... a hard game. And I think there really are unwinnable combinations of "heroes".

If you liked it, I can heartly recommend Zak McKracken. It's a lot more fair and also has awesome humour.
<span class="bold">The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendon&ccedil;a &amp; Pizza Boy</span>

Point'n'click adventure based on the comic books created by Filipe Melo. I didn't know the comic books before playing the game, so I cannot really assess how faithful this game adaptation is to the original material. What I can say, though, is that The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça & Pizza Boy is a competent adventure game with a certain 'old school' vibe about it. The story gets darker and more macabre as the plot unfolds, but nonetheless it manages to keep a funny sense of humour throughout its duration... which is not that long. Yeah, most of the puzzles are either straightforward or at least make perfect sense (in a world ridden with occult forces and beings, that is), so the play time you can hope to squeeze out of this game is somewhat reduced - but not as much as some reviewers say.

The graphics are superb and highly detailed, but the prettiness of some locations starkly contrast with how empty they feel, as they barely have any interactive (or even examinable) hotspots. As per the sound department, the soundtrack has some really catchy tunes and all of the dialogue is voice acted more than decently. Well, all dialogue except for Pazuul's (the 3,000 year old demon trapped in the body of a little girl) who doesn't speak. By the way, I felt that both Pazuul and the beheaded Gargoyle could have been more capitalized on in this adventure, but for all I know this could also be the case in the comic books so I won't complain.

All in all, I'd recommend it equally to veterans and newcomers to point'n'click adventures.
<span class="bold">Lara Croft GO</span> (Android)

Excellent turn-based puzzle game starring, unsurprisingly, Lara Croft. I got the Android version from a Humble Mobile Bundle, and I was somewhat reluctant to play it as I seemed to remember the app required some shady permissions. But as it turned out, either I remembered it wrong or those permissions are no longer required, so I gladly jumped into it.

I don't know how it must be to play it on a PC, but controlling it through a touchscreen felt very natural and intuitive. The puzzles were a little on the easy side for the most part, but some of the later ones, particularly those in the Cave of Fire bonus chapter, were really challenging and kept me thinking for a good while (friggin' respawning enemies!). Throughout the many levels there are semi-hidden clay pots that contain gems and relic parts. Finding them all in a level unlocks a new outfit for Lara to wear in-game. I couldn't really care that much about the outfits, but still the completionist in me made me replay some levels in order to 100% the game.

Its final chapter, The Mirror of Spirits, is coming in a couple of weeks. I hope the Android version on Humble gets updated as well so I can play more of this great game.

My list of finished games in 2017
The Deadly Tower of Monsters

Got it in a Monthly Bundle and I must admit I was rather positively surprised. I got my eye on that game for a while but didn't expect much of it. So, turns out it was a very enjoyable game, with a few quirks.

The few quirks are that you don't really need to change characters in the game expect maybe one or two times, so it's not great for gameplay variety. Another one is that the game is lagging/freezing for half a second when you reach a checkpoint. Minor nuisance, except when that checkpoint is next to a fight zone, which means that you will certainly trigger that checkpoint several times in the fight...

But appart from that, I really loved the whole atmosphere of Z-movies, the brealking of the 4th wall, the tongue-in-cheek commentaries, even the gameplay was satisfying, even in a bit repetitive.

A nice suprise in 2017 for me!

So far in 2017: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2017/post15