It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tomb Raider (2013)

Finished this one a few days ago. My first time to play any Tomb Raider game, but apparently I played the most polished one, and it showed. Very good game. Felt like playing a movie. The hidden relics and artifacts gave you a way to earn experience, but were otherwise uninteresting. The RPG like weapon upgrades and new abilities were a nice touch and I liked all the optional Tombs for the cool puzzles.

Overall highly recommended and I want to go back and play some of the old ones. Any recommendations? Start with the first one or skip up to a more recent one?

Another World 20th Anniversary Edition

Never played it in the old days, despite beating and loving a very similar game, Flashback. Glad I went back to it after all these years. Cool cinema effects for its time and the HD upgrade option looks cool too. Got to say the game kicked my butt a lot. The controls are a little frustrating at times and there is definitely more than a few times when you have no idea what to do. Trial and error with a lot of dying. Anyways still worth the play through, especially with the nice sale I got it on recently.
LJChronx: Tomb Raider (2013)

Overall highly recommended and I want to go back and play some of the old ones. Any recommendations? Start with the first one or skip up to a more recent one?
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to see how it all started and how the old ones differ from the 2013 game in gameplay, looks and controls, the first one is as good a choice as any. If you can't stomach the blocky low res graphics and clunky controls and would like a more modern experience, maybe Tomb Raider Anniversary could be for you, as I understand it's kind of a remake of the first game in the series, so you'd get the same story and settings and a similar level design but with enhanced graphics and more modern controls.
Post edited March 30, 2015 by Leroux
LJChronx: Tomb Raider (2013)

Leroux: Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to see how it all started and how the old ones differ from the 2013 game in gameplay, looks and controls, the first one is as good a choice as any. If you can't stomach the blocky low res graphics and clunky controls and would like a more modern experience, maybe Tomb Raider Anniversary could be for you, as I understand it's kind of a remake of the first game in the series, so you'd get the same story and settings and a similar level design but with enhanced graphics and more modern controls.
I wouldn't mind the clunky graphics, but might mind the controls. Maybe I'll start with Anniversary and go from there.
Halfway
I loved this game. Of course there are TBS games that are more complex and have greater variety in enemies and weapons, but this one isn't as simple as it semms at first glance. Stuff is expensive and your party can't carry very much and so it's very important to not waste stuff. More or less every shoot counts (at least in later missions) and you better should think twice before you pull the trigger. Also finding the right place with good cover for a fight is crucial. Without it you won't have a chance against the more powerful enemies.

The pixel graphics are absolutely gorgeous, the music is great and the story is very solid with interesting characters that doesn't feel like the usual cannon fodder you often get in squad based games. The cliffhanger in the end is evil though. I absolutely want a sequel and I want it now!

I wholeheartedly recommend this game. Can't believe how much fun it was to play it!

Complete list of finished games in 2015
The Ball

An allright game, based on solving puzzles and fighting enemies using an oversized bowling ball you can push away, pull towards you (log distance) and tie to very few select objects to move them around. The atmosphere is good, but the gameplay is nothing special, and for the most part too easy.

I haven't tried any of the standalone Survival (think Challenge) missions except for the Portal one (has GLADOS but no actual Portals it seems), but apparently they have much better puzzles that the campaign.

One annoyance is that the game depends on checkpoints and autosaves, and many checkpoint s do not actually save your progress should exit the game (or even to the main menu.) This usually isn't a big problem unless you get stuck on scenery and are forced to reload the Save - in which case a lot of progress could be lost. This only happened once to me in the campaign though, and that wasn't very long after the last save. In the Portal "Survival" level it happened on Test 6 out of 7 though, which required a restart from the very beginning! I guess Survival levels don't have autosaves at all, only checkpoints, and that's not good...

Cosmo’s Cosmic Adventure

Games pretty hard, so it took me over 2 months of coming back to it to finally beat it. Honestly, it's nothing special once you take away the nostalgia. I actually died right after beating the final boss, but the game still showed me the ending cutscene, so I decided that counted :)
Post edited March 30, 2015 by kalirion
Finished Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris and it was fun... except for the bug, especially the major bug which prevented me to keep my progress unless I did some twisted manual steps (deleting my save, starting the game, changing an option, existing the game, restoring my backup savegame and then restarting the game...).

Full list here.
LJChronx: I wouldn't mind the clunky graphics, but might mind the controls. Maybe I'll start with Anniversary and go from there.
IIRC all the older ones, from the first to Angel of Darkness, have tank controls. You steer Lara with the keyboard (arrow keys, on top of it), and the camera is always behind her, turning as she turns. Other keys are Ctrl, Alt, Space etc. And AFAIK you can't customize the controls, at least not in the first couple of games. Not sure if any of them has mouse support, maybe Angel of Darkness, but that one's considered the worst TR game.

Btw, since sebarnolds mentioned it, the "Lara Croft" games are fun, too, even if they're in a completely different genre and their stories are pretty cheesy. I liked the Guardian of Light a little better than Temple of Osiris though.
Post edited March 31, 2015 by Leroux
BillyMaysFan59: One down, a crap ton to go.... but hey, it's some progress. :)
(Speaking of progress, I'm coming close to finishing Thief II as well)

Finished Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC) today. (light side)

Quite an enjoyable experience. Good open-ended exploration, good combat, impressive storyline, fantastic soundtrack, and more... all set in the unique Star Wars universe. In my opinion the storyline was the best part of the game. Not only was I impressed with its progression and plot twisters, but I also like how you can make the story end how you want to; you can either become a Jedi and save the galaxy, or become a Sith and conquer the galaxy, ruling it with an iron fist.

Honestly I could have dealt without all the annoying minigames* (especially the ****ing hard swoop racing) and it kind of felt like the game was holding my hand a little too much. These are my only major complaints, however, and do not in any way stop me from recommending this game. I highly enjoyed KotOR and can't wait to play the sequel.

I do plan on playing through it again some time, with a different type of character.

*Pazaak is an exception, as I did enjoy that one.
Me too. I'm not a star wars fan. In fact I've only watched half of the original film out of all the Star Wars titles.

However, I saw the many, many positive reviews and bought KOTOR and loved every minute of it. Great game and thoroughly recommended.
Freedom Planet

Finally! At last defeated the final boss in all his forms, and achieved the heartwarming conclusion. One of the most delightful games I've played in a while, and a true successor to the Sonic crown. Not just in gameplay, but in the charming characters that abound throughout the game.

Had some fun going with this game on the side too, PM'ing back and forth with j0ekerr as we each battled our way though. Thanks for the chat, mate!

STAGE COMPLETE!
Just finished Life is strange EP1, not a bad game, rather enjoyed it. wouldn't run first off, had a read about and found out you have to turn off all Anti-aliasing I did that via the nvida control panal.

Loved the graphics, the puzzles were easy, the story is engrossing. the decision making was quite easy for me, being a selfless person [so I've been told many times]

Will have to play it again, missed some achivements.

Just have to wait for the Square-enix Christmas stocking for episode 2!!
Post edited April 01, 2015 by Cavenagh
IAmSinistar: Freedom Planet
I saw another post about you finishing this and I was going to ask for your opinion. I'll queue this one then.

I've never played a Sonic game but that might be an advantage as I'm not expecting anything in particular. :-)

Thanks!
Mye

An old school style browser puzzle game made by one of our members, flummoxed. Show some support here:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/ive_done_did_my_first_game/post1

It's a fun game in the tradition of Sokoban. Not too hard or too easy, just feels right and it can comfortably be completed in one session.

Full list
Attachments:
mye.jpg (14 Kb)
Post edited April 05, 2015 by awalterj
madth3: I saw another post about you finishing this and I was going to ask for your opinion. I'll queue this one then.

I've never played a Sonic game but that might be an advantage as I'm not expecting anything in particular. :-)

Thanks!
If you like a good action-platformer, and don't mind a cute storyline, you should enjoy this one. Let us know what you think!
Dust: An Elysian Tail

A surprisingly good game. The voice acting really stood out and helped drive the story with emotion and humor. There were some frustrating moments and a few times I almost quit due to balancing issues and typical platforming issues, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Very well told story, voicing, visuals, and platforming fun.

A flawed game, but highly recommendable.
<span class="bold">Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis</span>

I surprised myself by enjoying this game less than I expected. I enjoyed the first half or so of the game where there were varied puzzles and interesting/funny people to talk to, but the second half of the game seemed more like tedious grind. Perhaps there was not enough humour in it for me (the humour primarily comes from the conversations). The graphics and voice acting were fantastic throughout.

There are three different paths you can chose, I completed one path (Team path) but I do not feel the urge to replay the game again to try another. Overall, I would still recommend the game though if you’re into point-and-click adventures, especially more serious ones.