It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Klumpen0815: Far Cry (PC)
Enebias: Since I am interested in this title, too, may I ask you a few questions?
When exactly does an enemy become aware of your presence? Is tehre a precise distance you have to pass or being in their line of sight -no matter how far- is enough?

What about sounds? Do the enemies react to it as well, or you can safely run as long as they do not see you?

What about the save system? I heard that it relies on checkpoints...
Of course.

When they become aware of you highly depends on the grass, bushes and trees around you and even more on the difficulty setting. If you crawl through high grass, you are invisible most of the time until you fire in easy but get noticed from about 10m distance in "normal" even without firing, the problem is, that you see as good as nothing yourself when crawling through high grass and the enemies are spotting you while you don't see a thing. Crouching all the time is recommended because indeed sounds are very important, I only got upright when I needed to run to a cover. Walking usually makes too much noise and the enemies are spotting you around the corner already (difficulty seems to influence the distance here too). Crouching reduces this a lot.

The usual tactic is to take them out one at a time, gather the sniper rifle and ammo for it as often as you can as well as other long range weapons (the few encounters in-door not counted take a shotgun there) and try to spot them all before they spot you, the binoculars and the heat vision are your most important tools.
Since you can only carry 4 different weapons at a time, you have to choose your gear regularly depending on your surroundings and available ammo.

Yes, it has a checkpoint system, but I think the points are quite well placed.

Imho it's a well made guerilla game that gives you a hint of how difficult it is to stand alone against an army and the Far Cry Addon Mod seems to solve some of the problems the game has, unfortunately it was unstable for me while the base game never crashed.

Another important point:
If you choose too high shadow and lighting settings, the game won't start without any message that your drivers or graphics card may not suffice, you have to delete or edit your settings to get it to run again at this point.

What I really liked at times was the freedom of roaming you have sometimes which let's you encounter many situations from various points using different methods.
Post edited February 23, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: ...
Thank you, both for the answers and the tips (mod and lighting solution)!
I am a stealth fanatic, so I think I will definitley pick up this game at some point, especially since I have neevr played one with such a free approach! :)

One last question to judge the AI: what happens when an enemy stumble in a corpse of one of his comrades?
Enebias: One last question to judge the AI: what happens when an enemy stumble in a corpse of one of his comrades?
I totally forgot about that. Corpses don't seem to have a big impact which was a bit weird. Once the mercs are alarmed through shots or someone dropping, they'll start acting differently, stop chatting with each other (you can listen to them with the microphone built into your binoculars), take cover and sometimes start spreading and trying to circle you, but corpses are meant to vanish because of the game engine and that's probably the reason why they don't have such an impact.
You can set the number of seconds until a corpse disappears, but it's sad that they disappear at all.

Are there any other guerilla stealth games out there besides the Alien vs. Predator and Far Cry series?
Post edited February 23, 2015 by Klumpen0815
I didn't use much stealth in Farcry other than to approach enemies, then all hell broke lose. Then it was more shootouts and cover tactics. The AI will usually go into alert mode whenever they notice your around.

No One Lives Forever comes to mind it was some great stealth action. Urban environments usually though. But you get a bunch of cool spy gadgets.
Include me.

I figure I can probably manage to complete some games this year.

(All listed games are PC because I don't own any consoles)

Finished:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Currently Playing/Not Finished Yet:
Thief II: The Metal Age

On queue at the moment:
Icewind Dale (in progress)
Icewind Dale 2
Arcanum: Of Steanworks and Magick Obscura
Freedom Planet
Star Wars: X-Wing
Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Post edited April 30, 2015 by BillyMaysFan59
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians is a very okay puzzlish "platformer" (in quotes because it's a swimming game). It looks pretty nice, and I guess the music is okay if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not). I liked the idea of a game that requires you to act in rhythm with the music but that really only comes up occasionally. Usually you're just swimming around and trying to figure out how to overcome whatever obstacles are holding you up.

I can't really say there's much about the game that I disliked, but nor is it a game that gets to that next level to where I'm actually enthusiastic about playing it. I beat it over the weekend, mostly because I was looking for something that I could play without having to concentrate too deeply, and then I immediately deleted it because I can't see myself replaying any time soon. It's very competently made but so are so many indie games these days.
CarrionCrow: Guess it's time to see if Anomaly 2 is actually a proper sequel.
Could really use another game in this series that I'd call good.
The game being longer than 5 or 6 hours long wouldn't hurt either.
Ghorpm: I think you should be satisfied. At least I was, I also thought that Anomaly mobile ports were weak but Anomaly 2 was truly epic. Definitely my favorite from the series. Anomaly Defenders, on the other had, was a huge disappointment.
I'm a few missions in, and it looks like they're actually trying, at least.

When I first got the series, I skipped ahead a bit and played a little of Anomaly Defenders first.
I can definitely see why it was disappointing to you.
Hotline Miami (PC)

I just finished the Linux port of this nice little game and had a blast.
Sure the whole insta-death thing is frustrating at times, but the fast action loaded gameplay with those ridiculously gory and oldschool visuals got me hooked. I'm still collecting the last masks and letters.
The final boss was mean but the moment you realize how to beat him/them he is done really fast and the bonus missions were quite nice. I wished there would be a bigger variety of missions like the ones after the final boss, but I haven't found any mods.
The only downside for me is the annoying music, I wished they'd implemented some nice 8 bit chiptunes or metal/hard rock instead of this techno stuff, but whatever.

This game gives many nods to one of my favourite games from this era "Dreamweb", I highly recommend this one, although it's way darker/depressing and less action packed.

Updated list
Age of Wonders 3 - I finished both the Elven Court and Commonwealth campaigns and I will most likely get right to the Golden Realms campaign. I definitely foresee myself playing this game for a long time into the future, considering how good the game is and the amount of content it has scenario- and campaign-wise. The whole series is one of my favorites and now with the upcoming addition of the Necromancer as well as Tigrans and Frostlings, AoW3 is slowly becoming my favorite. Hopefully they keep adding more content even after the Necromancer expansion/DLC. My only problem with this game is that I don't have enough free time :-). Although this may seem like a positive overall, the downside is that really large maps (especially in the campaign), combined with my slow comp, take forever to finish in terms of both the actual turns and the scenarios as a whole.

My list
Klumpen0815: Are there any other guerilla stealth games out there besides the Alien vs. Predator and Far Cry series?
Tomb Raider 2013 (I adore this game!) can be played with a lot of stealth. Also, when the baddies come across the body of a comrade, they immediately go on-guard.

I've heard that Deus Ex can be played entirely as stealth if you wish (haven't played it yet.)
Klumpen0815: Hotline Miami (PC)

I just finished the Linux port of this nice little game and had a blast.
Sure the whole insta-death thing is frustrating at times, but the fast action loaded gameplay with those ridiculously gory and oldschool visuals got me hooked. I'm still collecting the last masks and letters.
The final boss was mean but the moment you realize how to beat him/them he is done really fast and the bonus missions were quite nice. I wished there would be a bigger variety of missions like the ones after the final boss, but I haven't found any mods.
The only downside for me is the annoying music, I wished they'd implemented some nice 8 bit chiptunes or metal/hard rock instead of this techno stuff, but whatever.

This game gives many nods to one of my favourite games from this era "Dreamweb", I highly recommend this one, although it's way darker/depressing and less action packed.

Updated list
Loved the game, loved the music. Collected all the letters and most of the masks. Waiting for Wrong Number, the dial tone trailer blew my mind. Blam Blam Pow!

It was a tough challenge to beat.
Post edited February 24, 2015 by bad_fur_day1
Klumpen0815: Are there any other guerilla stealth games out there besides the Alien vs. Predator and Far Cry series?
Delta Force is one of the earliest ones of this type that I remember, it's not one of my favorite games but I had quite a bit of fun with it. The stealth aspect comes mostly in the form of long distance sniping across huge open areas. It's a bit like Comanche but instead of a helicopter you are on foot and instead of Hellfire missiles you shoot enemies with scoped rifles and instead of Hydra rockets you can chuck 40mm grenades into the enemy camp. Sometimes you go in up close but you can't run around like a headless chicken because one shot can kill you. It's not quite like Rainbow Six in that regard but you have to be careful nonetheless. The idea is to pick off enemies before they spot you so I think it can somewhat pass as a stealth game, at least more than some modern military shooters/sims that are aimed more towards the 14 yr old dudebro demographic. The gameplay does get old pretty fast but it's worth checking out nonetheless if you're interested in stealth from afar wide open area sniping.
Just finished Hitman GO from the current humble bundle. It was the only game I actually wanted from the bundle, based on a recommendation from TB in an older video.

Hitman GO is a turn based board game. So definitely nothing like the normal Hitman games, and yet it manages to be a Hitman game and a good one at that. The mechanics are very good, consistent and they increase in complexity by gradually adding new elements. But all this is done in a very clear fashion and I never felt the game being unfair or needing more explanations of how the new elements work.

The game was difficult enough that I needed to use the in-built "help" system a few times, but that was mostly because I wanted to complete all additional objectives (which I did). In many cases it was really gratifying to find a solution that completes all 3 objectives in one go (not always possible).

It has around 90 levels, so content wise it's pretty good. Kept me busy for a few days and I played a lot, not just during the occasional bathroom break :P

One thing this game is lacking is a turn counter. Many missions have an additional objective to finish the game in a set amount of turns. Having to keep count of it in my head was something I could do without. There were also a few times when I wished for an "undo" button but overall I think it was better without one.
Aningan: Hitman GO
snip
Thanks a lot for this review. I think I'll get it too (I'm not a Steam user so other games from the bundle are not for me)
Just finished Reach for the Sun

It's a fun little game in which you have to help plants to grow by developing them (adding stems, branches, leaves, flowers, etc...) while recolting water, nutriments and starch. There are two game modes: one real time and one "strategy" where it's turn-based and you don't have to bother collecting resources but have to plan ahead what to develop.

All in all it's a very fun game, but with only 4 plants, it merely took me 1h30 to complete it and almost have all the steam success, so it's a bit too short... I wish developers would add more plants and options!

So far in 2015 : http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2