It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Shank 2

Just like the first game, Shank 2 looks great and is very well-animated. Unlike the first game, though, Shank 2 is very enjoyable. Not only is the combat more bloody and gory, but also faster, more fluid and enemies no longer have hit points that would shame bosses in other games and the extra weapons aren't useless this time around. There are also less health power-ups this time around, so it's harder than the first game. It's a shame that it's a short game, though (perhaps, even shorter than the first one, which was already short) and could do with some more levels. Despite that, I highly recommend it if you are in the mood for some brutal beat-em-up.

Note: The game's Windows build might be suffering from a bug that won't allow you to save your progress. If that happens to you (it did happen to me with the Humble version), you should follow those instructions, to work around it.

Full list.
Post edited August 24, 2015 by Grargar
I wasn't quite planning on playing it, but I casually installed Primordia, so that I could check it up this weekend.

I ended up playing it through. I did use a walkthrough, mostly because I didn't want to have to make multiple playthroughs just to get the best ending, but I was very pleased by the story. Very complex and very interesting.

Though I didn't like the amount of minor details that came back with a vengeance by the end of the game ("Hey, remember that small piece of trivia from early in the game? The one you forgot exactly what it was? It's super relevant and mandatory to solve this puzzle right now!").

Its beginning made me remember The Dig, but, later, I was thinking Beneath a Steel Sky all the way through. :)

Once more, thanks URNOEV for the gift. I enjoyed it very much. ^_^
Post edited August 24, 2015 by Falci
Ape Escape (PSX). An old platformer that I think was the first game to require the dual-shock controller to play. As such, the game has a somewhat gimmicky control scheme (e.g., you jump by pushing R1, the face buttons are used for quick inventory switching, the analog sticks control your movement and attacks/item usage).

It's a very charming game that requires you to track intelligent monkeys through time and catch them with a net. Controls do mostly work fine but like many early 3D platformers, the camera is usually finicky and occasionally will even jeopardize your safety. Also, while catching the monkeys is fun when they're all over the place, like a lot of these collectathon games it starts getting a little tedious toward the end when you're trying to unlock the good ending and you need scour the stages again to track down the few things you're missing. Although in defense of the game, the developers did you the favor of providing a monkey detector that you can use to tell if any targets are nearby. But you're kind of screwed if you're going for 100 percent completion and you need to find the giant gold coins.
Skyrim

Both quit and completed. Two thumbs up and 5 middle fingers go to

I finished the main arc and everything except

- The Dark Brotherhood (which I destroyed).

- The thieves (which I had no interest and would be contrary to the kind of character i was playing).

- The civil war because it was bugged up the ass and the cunt Legate would not let me progress in the story.

After 100+ hours in I can safely say Ive gotten all I ever could get out of this game.

Maybe Bethesda will do better this gen and not have every release come out half broken.
Post edited August 25, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
Quake 2 + The Reckoning + Ground Zero

I had a lot of fun with the original Quake and its mission packs.

I had noticeably less fun with the sequel. One of my disappointments with the game was the boring backgrounds. Too many space mines, caverns, facilities and nothing else really eye-catching, either in the base game, or the mission packs. Add to this a slower-paced game, with less emphasis on dodging and more emphasis on taking cover, along with boring and predictable weapons and it's just not so interesting. Of course, my pet peeve with the game is the unnecessary backtracking. OK, it's not the first, neither the last FPS to implement backtracking, but those games either limit backtracking to the stage itsrlf, or don't have stages in the traditional sense. Unfortunately, the game both has stages and does force you to hop back and forth, something that, thankfully, isn't too bad in the base game, but becomes noticeably worse in the mission packs.

Speaking of mission packs, it's admirable how they try to mix it up and offer a more interesting experience than the base game, but the first one doesn't quite get there, while the second one makes a whole lot of missteps. Annoying wall and roof bullet and rocket turrets? Check. Annoying spider-bots? Check. Annoying medic commanders who can resurrect other units and summon more? Check. And just to top the annoyance, let us have a game-breaking bug, shall we? Oh yes, I hate you so much, Ground Zero.

Well, time for some Unreal. But before that, let's update the list first.
Post edited September 05, 2015 by Grargar
Grargar: Well, time for some Unreal.
You probably know this already, but if you are going to play the first Unreal, you can download high resolution texture packs form this site. It is more than worth it!
Enebias: You probably know this already, but if you are going to play the first Unreal, you can download high resolution texture packs form this site. It is more than worth it!
Actually, I didn't. I usually avoid using texture packs, but I'll take a look and see if they really improve the game's visuals. Thanks for the notice.
Grargar: Well, time for some Unreal.
Enebias: You probably know this already, but if you are going to play the first Unreal, you can download high resolution texture packs form this site. It is more than worth it!
I didn't know of this project but it looks good, does it work on "Return to Na-Pali" too?
Post edited August 25, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: I didn't know of this project but it looks good, does it work on "Return to Na-Pali" too?
Yes, they do, with all the versions of the game (both physical, digital, Gold or vanilla).
Just be sure to update your game with the correct patch needed for yours, like stated here.
Post edited August 25, 2015 by Enebias
Klumpen0815: I didn't know of this project but it looks good, does it work on "Return to Na-Pali" too?
Enebias: Yes, they do, with all the versions of the game (both physical, digital, Gold or vanilla).
Just be sure to update your game with the correct patch needed for yours, like stated here.
Thanks, I still have to play the expansion of Unreal, so this might come in handy.
Dishonored

This was my second playthrough and this time with high chaos ie. lethal and that was much more fun than low chaos stealth. It's a great game and is much better than Thief reboot. But sadly the last 30% kind of drags on for freaking ever and isn't as much fun as the first 70%.

I hope they fix the high/low chaos for D2 and give you more options for non-lethal because as it stands it's just so much more fun to blink around and kill guards using sword, crossbow and pistol than having to always just blink past all of them.
Tomb Raider (2013)

A solid, action-packed adventure game. While I like the setting and the overall feeling of the game, hoped for more puzzle-solving like in the older games. A bit too linear and a few too many quick-time events, but overall an enjoyable experience.

Rating: ****

Borderlands 2

This year's best FPS game I've played so far. However, suffers from the same "running there and back" problem, meaning too much running between different locations, back and forth. However, a vast improvement to the first Borderlands, enjoyed most of the time playing it. Did not do the extra content yet, one day will be its turn as well.

Rating: ****

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Finished this one again after long time. Sure, graphics are rather outdated but this game makes one of the best atmospheres experienced ever, in my opinion. Played it through with the Camarilla Edition mod and was enjoyable for the most part, since the modding community has managed to address many different bugs and fixed them. However, rather linear and does not really have an impact of choice.

Rating: *** for vanilla version, **** for modded version

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The Game of the Year for me, personally. Something special about this game because since I finished it in the summer, after that I've been very lazy even attempting to play other games of the same genre overall. Left me with a lasting impact, in the best possible way.

Rating: *****
Post Mortem

Just finished Post Mortem - my first Anumen / Microids adventure!
For the most part it was decent fun, sleuthing a case in paris about Templars and such (wait, an American in Paris meets a black bobbed femme fatal and ends up investigating a Templar conspiracy? Damn - Deja Vu! :-D)
but some of the puzzles towards the end - I'm looking at you mural candle puzzle to find the thing that was in the photo of the guy all along are just.. nasty, not only GameFAQs walkthroughs but actual video walkthroughs on youTube were needed for that one!

All in all an ambitious first person adventure that's a little rough around the edges

Full list: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post118
Deponia.

Mixed on this one. I'm guessing the hype is because its an indie dev? Most of the gameplay/puzzles are of the type that many folks bash the genre over. I'm also not a big fan of the visual backdrop of the game. Its partly why I didn't care for Machenarium either. Trash everywhere on every screen... but find that tiny object and know how you should interact with it. :/

I was very pleased with most of the dialogue and plot. It kept me going to the end, but I found I more enjoyed just following a walkthrough than trying to figure anything out in this game. Great voicing and writing to boot. I'll give the sequel a try based on the positives and am hoping it improves in the areas I found it lacking.
hucklebarry: Deponia.

Mixed on this one. I'm guessing the hype is because its an indie dev? Most of the gameplay/puzzles are of the type that many folks bash the genre over. I'm also not a big fan of the visual backdrop of the game. Its partly why I didn't care for Machenarium either. Trash everywhere on every screen... but find that tiny object and know how you should interact with it. :/

I was very pleased with most of the dialogue and plot. It kept me going to the end, but I found I more enjoyed just following a walkthrough than trying to figure anything out in this game. Great voicing and writing to boot. I'll give the sequel a try based on the positives and am hoping it improves in the areas I found it lacking.
Like most daedelic games all interactables should show if you hold space.