It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

cmdr_flashheart: There's practically a trick to beating each boss. Worse to worst, you can always grind.

Actually, by the end, I think I got points off for finishing a fight too quickly- not enough combo-ing.
kalirion: Well, my hand-eye coordination isn't all that great, so unless its a really cheap trick, I have trouble anyway.

I was able to beat that boss, but not well enough to get any attribute point awards, and the savepoint was more than a couple screens away so I just said "nah, not now." That was back in December or so >_>
Yeah, I remember when I beat the two guys in the mine place, and then died because I didn't reach a savepoint in time. Fun times.

Oh! and speaking for Valdis Story, you can play it DRM-free even if yours is a steam game :]
kalirion: Well, my hand-eye coordination isn't all that great, so unless its a really cheap trick, I have trouble anyway.

I was able to beat that boss, but not well enough to get any attribute point awards, and the savepoint was more than a couple screens away so I just said "nah, not now." That was back in December or so >_>
cmdr_flashheart: Yeah, I remember when I beat the two guys in the mine place, and then died because I didn't reach a savepoint in time. Fun times.

Oh! and speaking for Valdis Story, you can play it DRM-free even if yours is a steam game :]
But.. then I don't get the achievements!
Post edited May 06, 2014 by kalirion
cmdr_flashheart: Yeah, I remember when I beat the two guys in the mine place, and then died because I didn't reach a savepoint in time. Fun times.

kalirion: But.. then I don't get the ! <a href="http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post933" class="link_arrow"></a></div> Lol yeah, there's that. But now you have [url=http://philadams.co.s136554.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/spongebob_imagination.png]options
Just finished Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PC).

Added it to my list of 2014 completions:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post79
Finished TYPE-MOON's Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night today. Highly regarded VN's, and deservedly so!

Tsukihime was their first work. Arcueid's was my favorite of the routes. I felt that she was a very interesting character, I really enjoyed the way her and the main character (Shiki) developed over the story, and especially thought the ending was very good. I skipped through Ciel's route pretty quickly, as it shares several major plot points with Arcueid's route and I didn't find Ciel nearly as interesting as a character. It did get better towards the end though. I liked Akiha's route quite a bit. At first I didn't really like her that much, but by the end she became my favorite character in the game. The only reason I don't rate her route higher is that, no matter how dark the story is, I want a happy ending and there isn't really one here. Hisui and Kohaku's routes were also pretty good, I just didn't like what they did with Akiha. Overall, I'd say that the individual stories were all pretty strong, but sadly Tsukihime is weaker than the sum of its parts. I have this problem because basic facts about the world and characters are not consistent between these stories. You should get the same characters and setting in each story that just go down different paths, instead you get slightly different characters in a slightly different setting. The little inconsistencies make it feel less like a cohesive product and more like a simple collection of stories.

FSN was really amazing. I'd seen the anime before and enjoyed it, but the source material is on a different level. The anime basically covered the Fate route, but what was in the VN was much more fleshed out and enjoyable. I can't agree with Shiriou's naive belief that no-one should ever be hurt or sacrificed, but it was a good story nonetheless. Unlimited Blade Works though, that was amazing. It takes Shirou's beliefs and challenges them with a hefty dose of reality. He sticks to his guns despite it all, but I can admit there's something admirable in that. Also focuses more on Rin and Archer, two of my three favorite characters. Then Heaven's Feel - I'm not quite sure how I feel about that route. It was certainly good story, just not exactly what I like. I liked that it fully explained the mysteries of the Holy Grail War, and I liked that Ilya (my other favorite character) had a larger part, but it got a bit darker than I'm comfortable with. I didn't like that Shirou completely betrayed himself, abandoned his beliefs entirely, all to protect the ultimate evil of the world. There's room to compromise on your ideals to fit reality without completely throwing them out the window. Also I just don't like Sakura, and she's very much the focus of this arc.
Post edited May 08, 2014 by Nobake
The Howler
Not really a great game, but good enough to spend one or two hours with it (and most people will be able to complete the game in this time). It's good fun to control the balloon with your voice and for me it worked amazingly well. What didn't work at all was dropping parcels and bombs by making a short loud noise. Had to disable that function, because they always dropped without any specific reason making it impossible to complete the missions.
Besides the voice control the only other thing worth mentioning are the hand drawn graphics that look very nice.

Complete list of finished games in 2014
Broken Sword 5 episode 2. Overall Meh. Game saves said I spent 13 hours playing (both episodes combined). I don't think that is accurate. Felt like a 5 to 7 hour overall playthrough going by how long and often my gaming sessions were. Either way... this didn't feel like 2 games at all (as the devs promised).

Not a fan of the plot and the plain text filler screens felt like placeholders for the animators that never got completed. Lots of graphical glitching in episode 2, some audio problems, and some pacing issues. Overall was decent enough I felt like finishing, but I doubt I would ever play this again.

Felt like a kickstarter from a rookie dev team, not an established group. YMMV.
Gun
I would describe it as a clunky Red Dead Redemption.
Quite fun still to play (it was released in 2005) and not too long at roughly six hours for doing the main storyline and quite a few of the side quests in order to 'level up' your character.
Planescape Torment

Almost lost myself after finishing PS:T. Truly, I can't call this a masterpiece - I only think of a single name for it: The Gate to Human Soul. I still don't know how can a I game could affect me so much. It set new standards for me, that is for damn sure.

The Dark Mirror

Found the original, scratched disk at one of my friends, but still working! Loved it.
JMich: I thought DS2 is steamworks, not GFWL, though I may be mistaken.
DProject: It is? GOOD! Because the first three hours of gametime went to getting the f***ing DRM to work properly -_- If it's indeed not there in the sequel, that's a huge relief.
That's my experience with ever GFWL game I've ever had. I learned to just stop buying them b/c it was a horrible hassle to get it running.

They have a problem of it needing to be updated in order to update and needing a button to be clicked when no they've disabled your ability to click buttons. It's just a mess.

Yay for DS2 not having it.
cmdr_flashheart: Valdis Story really nice metroidvania, lots of fun to play. I finished the game with one character, but I don't think I have the patience to try it out with the others; I am not sure if there are any story differences between them, but maybe some dialogue, not worth it from my POV. I think I enjoyed the gameplay of this game more than the story, which I wish went deeper than it did. But maybe the other characters expose more of it? I don't care at this point.

Dracula 4
I am guessing the negative reviews happened because it was a short game, but the fact is that it's a fun story with okay puzzles. I wish the puzzles were tougher, though.

Others
My wife just finished D4 and is ready to start up on D5. She really liked it.
Post edited May 07, 2014 by Tallima
Tallima: Yay for DS2 not having it.
From Software/Namco would be monumentally stupid to release a game with a big focus on multiplayer and said multiplayer lasting just a bit more than 3 months.
Post edited May 07, 2014 by Grargar
Soulcaster I
Kind of an action tower-defense game. A little too hectic for my taste. Unfortunately it's not very good, very entertaining or very challenging (except for some of the challenge levels). Fortunately it's also not very long (completed the main campaign in 1 hour and 40 minutes).

Complete list of finished games in 2014
Post edited May 07, 2014 by PaterAlf
The Lost Vikings
What a charming little gem. Nice upbeat music, well-designed levels, very likeable trio of protagonists, and some good humor. The puzzles were fun, but not too hard to sprain the brain too much. The only negative was that even the smallest of mistakes could sometimes mean I'd had to restart the whole level: this sucked whenever the first 95% of the level was a cakewalk, and the last bit was the part where I needed more practice, but then I would have to do the first part of the level again just that I could try that hard part again. This would have been a bigger problem if the levels were longer than they were, but since the levels were pretty bite-sized, I guess I can forgive that. It was really nice of Blizzard to make the game free: therefor, it's a really easy recommend for any retro action puzzle fans.
Nobake: snip
Just saying. Not that it will help, but still, might as well.
Finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Nice game but overrated I thought. Characters were dragging a bit (too slow) by moments but gameplay is original and environments are gorgeous. I didn't like that unknown language though.

Full list here.