It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

gunsynd: how many have I finished this year,
Zilch,Zero,Nil...
Merry Xmas everyone....
you still got 9 days to pull one out
gunsynd: how many have I finished this year,
Zilch,Zero,Nil...
Merry Xmas everyone....
Barnell: you still got 9 days to pull one out
Rarely finish a game,prefer restart looking for all secrets.Once it becomes too easy I try next game on list.
Fireant (OpenPandora - C64)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QNYx9XLYE

Seriously, this game is ridiculously hard.
I finished the first two rounds/difficulties and even with unlimited lifes it's frustrating at times, because the random moving bugs often block all the ways and there is nothing you can do in addition to that you have to randomly try everythig in every room to be able to make progress.

Every playthrough starts a new one with even more and even faster enemies which is just ridiculous.
At least I tied up this loose end from my childhood.

Full list:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post695
Post edited December 24, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Walking Dead, Season 2
Liked it a bit less than S1 (Lee was a bit more enjoyable character to be around...) but it's still a nice piece of interactive fiction.
And I'm a bastard... pretty happy about that ending :)
Post edited December 24, 2014 by Novotnus
Gunpoint is a pretty okay stealth game. The writing is quite clever and the levels are paced well, but like so many games today it basically ends right when it starts getting interesting to play. Like you just got the final gadget and finally completed the extended tutorial only to be informed that you've just completed the whole game. I do wish they could have made the characters larger, although I understand they probably kept them tiny so you could see more of the map without having to constantly zoom in and out.

Quackshot starring Daffy Duck is a semi-sequel to Castle of Illusion - the stories don't have much in common but the games feel very similar in presentation and controls, which are very well done. Daffy's after some long-lost treasure and you have to travel all over the world to find it. The main gimmicks are that you choose one level only to realize you need a particular gadget to progress, so you go back to the world map and choose another level until you find the proper item; and you shoot plungers that you can use as platforms. Like Castle of Illusion, it's reasonably challenging but not a game that will make you rip out your hair. You can beat it in a short time if you focus on hashing out the stage order and boss strategies.
Post edited December 24, 2014 by andysheets1975
Far Cry (FCAM 1.99): This is the game that proves graphics are not what make a good game. When Far Cry came out in 2004, the visuals were mind blowing. It gave a similar effect to when Unreal came out. As opposed to Unreal, however, Far Cry lacks many gameplay elements. The story is so stupid and shallow I could easily write something better within 30 minutes. As for the characters, take Nathan Drake from Uncharted, drop his IQ and charisma by 50 and you will have Jack Carver. There is also no good music to speak of. AI is not good, but cheating. You can be killed from 5 km distance by some guy shooting at you with 100% accuracy.

So what makes Far Cry playable? It is the FarCry Addon Mod (FCAM 1.99) that fixes millions of bugs the game originally had. Also it gives you the quicksave option which the game ridiculously doesn't. The sandbox-ish gameplay which reminded me of Delta Force is also nice although you always have to reach the same point to proceed. I recommend Far Cry for people who like mindless shooters and already played most of the classics. If you are interested in playing this, make yourself a favor and download FCAM 1.99. 6/10

List of all games finished in the last years with best and worst games played in each year
damien: If you are interested in playing this, make yourself a favor and download FCAM 1.99.
I've never heard of this mod. Thanks for the heads up!
Looking through the features of the mod - "Improved AI" and "Quicksave" alone make me want to give the game another try.
AgentBirdnest: I've never heard of this mod. Thanks for the heads up!
Looking through the features of the mod - "Improved AI" and "Quicksave" alone make me want to give the game another try.
I'm glad some people are actually reading the short reviews here :)
AgentBirdnest: I've never heard of this mod. Thanks for the heads up!
damien: I'm glad some people are actually reading the short reviews here :)
I got it right away after reading your text.
I just beat Mega Man for the NES.

I still can't really belive that I managed to win. When I tried it around half a year ago I wasn't even able to beat one stage and now I did it in my first sitting.

I beat the stages in this order: Cutman > Elecman > Bombman > Fireman > Iceman > Gutsman.
Those six stages were mostly fun, but Dr. Wilys stages were too hard. After a lot of swearing that would make the AVGN blush I gave in and exploited the Select-Glitch. At least it still took some time to do it right since I didn't look it up. That glitch is famous enough, like the Contra-Code.

Besides that the game has good and clear graphics. It's always clear where you can jump on and where the enemies projectiles are.
The sound does its job and the music is quite good but became a bit annoying after repeating a stage again and again.
The controls are mostly good but a bit too slippery for my taste. I prefer the stiff movement of the Game Boy Mega Man games.

Overall the game is good and I'm looking forward to play the second one someday. After all Mega Man 2 is supposed to be the best of the series.

Here's my list.
I've read almost every post in this thread. It is the best source for reviews that I know of.
The reviews and opinions here tend to be pretty level-headed.
Christmas Day: a day of rest. I have wonderful gifts from my Secret Santa, but I'm bone-tired and my brain isn't up for, you know, the heavy exploratory thinking part that comes with a new game. And that is exactly when I like to poke around in a nice entertaining Artifex Mundi story.

Playing Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call twice - first on Expert level, to see what the challenge is like, and a second sweep on Casual to finish up the achievements - takes me ten and a half hours, according to Steam. Expert level doesn't tell you where there are new active areas on the map, so it adds a lot of search time. Depending on how you like hidden object adventure games, this may or may not work for you. There's also a fairly lengthy bonus chapter, which is included in that time.

This is the sequel to Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart, in which museum curator Sarah Black was swept up in a supernatural pirate event when her daughter was kidnapped by the Evil (But Misunderstood) ghostly Captain Remington and his undead crew. Here, a mysterious figure comes to ask Sarah's advice during a dark and stormy day, and one thing leads to another, and soon enough she is squaring off against Murray, the Evil Shark-headed mayor of Kingsmouth, where things are - well, it's an Artifex Mundi game. There are corpses all over the place, monsters rage in the nearby waters, and evil minions and underground secrets abound.

As in the prior adventure, the hidden-object part of the game is smoothly subsidiary to both the story and point-and-click exploration aspects. Also as before, if hidden object isn't your thing, you can play mahjong games in place of the puzzles without interrupting gameplay. There are, however, still a couple of scenes in which you need to find and use a sequence of objects to reach critical objectives - these, which are among the better puzzle sequences in the game, are not replaced by the mahjong option.

Artifex Mundi has successfully developed a hidden-object formula in which the games are perilously close to casual point-and-click adventures. I've played a few similar projects by other publishers and have been bored or enraged, whereas I find the A.Mundi stories to be solid relaxing fun. They work winkingly close to popular fiction - at one point, an in-game newspaper headline reads, "Shadows Over Kingsmouth," which might give you some hints at some of the inspiration for the action.

New to this game are three sets of collectibles which don't affect the plot but do award achievements. There are lots of scattered golden octopus emblems, well-hidden brass seahorses, and a flock of silver parrots which only show themselves for a few seconds at at time and are mostly invisible. I probably spent an hour chasing down the last couple of parrots /shakes fist. These can be ignored, but I found them good if slightly irritating fun.

As always, the art is splendid and the sound is lush. Artifex Mundi's pool of vocal talent is apparently quite limited, and the same voices for every game do start to feel extremely bland after a time. Voicing is clear, if flat, and the minor characters often speak. At speeds. That sometimes. Make. William Shatner. Seem like he. Talks a blue. Streak. But the quality is overall very high, which is the takeaway here.

I've made it to 20 games this year!
Post edited December 26, 2014 by LinustheBold
I just finished Divine Divinity as a level 46 almost pure warrior (only healing magic used).
This is very fun free roaming Action RPG. Many quests and vast explore land!
The combat system was also intuitive and fun.

I have already finished Divinty 2 but I haven't played Divinity:Original Sin yet, so maybe in the next year I will play this too.

Full List
Post edited December 26, 2014 by yoshino
Finished Divinity: Original Sin two days ago and WOW, what a cRPG it was! I was playing it since September and i had a blast all these time! Easily 2014 Game of the Year for me.. What? 2014 only? Of course not, it is one of the greatest cRPGs of all time!

Thanks to mr Vincke & his team for the excellent journey! I'll return to it again after some time, for a replay and to check some mods.. :D
AgentBirdnest: I've read almost every post in this thread. It is the best source for reviews that I know of.
The reviews and opinions here tend to be pretty level-headed.
I also read almost every post for the exact same reason. I find the more unbiased and helpful even much more so than game reviews on GOG game profiles.