It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kalirion: You're forgetting about the whole GLADOS aspect.

I guess you would find nothing good in any DoubleFine game, since the characters & interactions are the highlights of those as well.
Antimateria: I've seen good things but we were talking about valve games. and double fine games are adventures which have not surpassed Broken sword 1 and that broken age is still in the making and long lost
I was talking about even older games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend. The writing / story / characters / etc were the highlights of those games, not the gameplay which many found mediocre at best.

Portal and Half-Life series have much more fun gameplay than Psychonauts and BL. Portal's puzzles in particular are innovative and cool, but take a backseat to GLADOS.
Post edited October 13, 2014 by kalirion
kalirion: Portal and Half-Life series have much more fun gameplay than Psychonauts and BL. Portal's puzzles in particular are innovative and cool, but take a backseat to GLADOS.
So you are converting people to use steam? Nice, have one free hat. =D

I like games, usually nowadays not valve because they have not released anything. I even thought after 5 hours of FFXIII, it's relaxing game, but oh so linear.
After finished Mass Effect 1, immediately I played Mass Effect 2 and just finished.
This game is amazing. game's SF atmosphere is remarkable.
I prefer 1's RPG+FPS hybrid system to 2's almost FPS system though.
All in all I enjoyed this game a lot, and I will begun 3 part of the series immediately :)

My full list
Post edited October 13, 2014 by yoshino
Already on my list, because I finished the main game, but I just completed the Mountains Of Madness levels in Eldritch. It's as big as the main game, and harder due to environmental obstacles, plus you have retrace your way all the way back out again. Completed in one run on pure adrenaline. Now the game is truly complete, except for hardcore mode. Yah, I don't think so. ;)
I've been ready to buy Gone Home since it first came out. I'm not sure how I managed to duck it for so long - Christmas Duck! - but when it went on sale here on GOG I grabbed it right away.

I'm a great fan of the concept of games-as-literature, so I was pretty sure I'd like it. In the way of uncertainty, though, I worried that I might not. The idea of games as a serious art form is so attractive, and I have enjoyed arty games - Benoit Sokal's Syberia and Amerzone come to mind - but the big watershed titles, like Esther and To the Moon, are games that I own and have not played. And I've been having so much fun with Borderlands lately, and that is definitively and profoundly not art. So, what if I've been kidding myself? What if arty games really are mostly dull trifles, like the yakkos say?

Happily, there was no cause for worry. Gone Home is brilliant.

It has been accused of not being a game, which is ridiculous - I just played it, so Q.E.D. It's been called a walking simulator, leading me to believe that a lot of people are unfamiliar with walking, which in my experience does not often involve delving for secrets in a spooky empty house over the course of a rainy night. It has been called a pricey venture for relatively little gameplay, and there's some truth in that. About as much truth as in claiming that your meal at a great restaurant is a rip-off because the food doesn't weigh enough for the cost, or that a movie you saw didn't have enough actors in it to justify the ticket price, or that there was another one at the cineplex that was longer so you might have gotten less screen-time for the buck than you deserved.

I finished Gone Home in just over three engrossing hours, and apparently I missed a couple of bits - dammit! - but I got most of it. I bought it on sale. At first I was thinking I would not play it again, but after mulling it over for a time I'm pretty sure I will, if only to listen through to the commentary.

You are Katie, come home suddenly from an extended vacation in Europe to an empty house in Oregon. Your family recently moved here, so the house is a place you've never seen before. It's June of 1995, and your parents are away on a trip; the house is left in the care of your little sister, Samantha. The year is important because it establishes the story in a time before cell phones, when the Internet was a young, barely-understood thing (Alta Vista, anyone? Gopher, WAIS?) and computers were rare appliances. Despite the sprawling mansion that is the current Greenbriar residence, the family has little money, and times have been hard.

Way too much has been said about the plot of this game in public forums and press, so I won't spoil anything. If you've heard the social-agenda nonsense that's been spouted about Gone Home, fear not: it's pretty much irrelevant to this marvelous, delicate story. The game requires attention and reading skills, but not the usual puzzle-solving that we might expect from an adventure game. Still, it unfolds like a magic flower if you press on it lightly. There is much to explore concerning Dad, Mom, sister Sam, and crazy Uncle Oscar, and exploration is done by listening to voiceover journal entries and reading documents and letters and scraps and clippings hidden here and there throughout the house. Some of it is buried pretty deeply, and you'll need to imagine the characters from pretty scant clues to figure out what was what. Some of it is red-herring stuff, some just mystery.

It's true that you aren't armed and have no skills and will find no phat lewt, but that doesn't mean you won't be involved in the story. As the final bits fell into place and the last location unlocked, I raced Katie through the house to see if things would end as I was certain they would - I felt an urgency unlike anything I've ever experienced in a game. I could hardly bear to turn the final corner to see the last scene. I felt like I was at the climax of a really good book, with the suspense turned up so high that I could hardly wait for the end of each page before turning to the next one.

It really feels like a book - it has that kind of restraint, and that kind of chosen detail. There's lots of misdirection, in a good way, and the sound design keeps the various rooms full of unknown, lingering mystery: there's lots of creaking and clicking and sighing, and it kept me nervous throughout. I liked nearly everything about this game, though I would agree that the asking price of $20 is a little stiff. It's not completely out of line, but the game is easily worth $10, and it's a steal for less than that.

Bring it your patience and curiosity, and you'll be rewarded.
Post edited October 13, 2014 by LinustheBold
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Analogue: A Hate Story
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
BioShock 2
BioShock Infinite
Blade Kitten
Borderlands
Brütal Legend
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Deadlight
Deadpool
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Deponia
Depression Quest
Dishonored
Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
Eets Munchies
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Evoland
Faerie Solitaire
FTL: Faster Than Light
GEARCRACK Arena
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Leisure Suit Larry: Lost in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Leisure Suit Larry 2: Looking for Love (In Several Wrong Places)
Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
Lili: Child of Geos
Long Live the Queen
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Peggle
Plants vs. Zombies
Portal 2
Sam & Max Save the World
Sleeping Dogs
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall
Steamworld Dig
System Shock 2
The Tiny Bang Story
To the Moon
Trine 2
The Walking Dead: Season One & 400 Days
Watchmen: The End is Nigh
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Post edited October 19, 2014 by jimnorth
12 Labours of Hercules

Not bad for a casual game. Sure, the game is pretty simple but managing your resources properly to finish each mission in a time limit is quite challenging and rewarding. I can recommend it to anybody who needs a bit of relax.

Full list
Plants vs. Zombies!!!
I know it was released long ago, but I only got it when it was given for free. A pleasant way to pass the time!
10-13-14 PixelJunk Shooter
Great little game. Some of the animations/loading could have been smoother/faster.
Finished out the Midnight Mysteries series and was fairly happy with it. Each game was very similar to the one before it in terms of gameplay and what to expect, but for a time filler, I was pleasantly surprised.

Finished out Chapter 1 in Grey Matter for a meatier game and it is seemingly VERY good so far.
Apparently I just finished Hacker Evolution - Untold? Without spoiling anything... I could tape a pen to a drunken hamster and it could write a better ending. That is literally the worst game ending I've ever experienced.

Aside from that, the game isn't too bad, but I was slightly disappointed.
it is nearly identical to its predecessor, which is a good thing, in my opinion.
Additions include some new music tracks, a couple sound effects, and a voice for countdowns. In addition to finding all of these obnoxious, they were also glitchy. Sounds were cut off constantly, and I heard loud static on many occasions. I ended up turning the sound off for most of the game.
I also noticed some occasional weird lag when typing.Typing "download" would sometimes show up on screen as "nloaddow".

Most of the levels were pretty fun. They are a bit more diverse than the first game, taking place in locations other than the world map. They also seemed a bit easier - I never failed a level, but maybe that is just due to my experience playing the first game.

Overall, technical issues and a horrible ending made it feel like a step backwards to me, but I still enjoyed it.
Time to complete was about the same as Hacker Evolution. About 4.5 hours.

My full list.
Post edited October 15, 2014 by AdamR
Painkiller: Black Edition - Enjoyable, mindless shooter. The guns are extremely fun to use, though it's the type of game to play in short bursts. It's a bit repetitious, just follow the arrow on the HUD and shoot everything that you see. It's has some great environments, they're all quite varied and are generally interesting to explore during your downtime between shooting.

So far:
Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Alien Shooter + Expansions
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Waking Mars
Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition
Splinter Cell
Mirror's Edge
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
Metro: Last Light
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies
Sniper Elite V2
Sleeping Dogs
Another World
Serious Sam: The First Encounter
Shelter
Limbo
Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded
MANOS: The Hands of Fate
TRAUMA
Red Faction
Chaser
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Painkiller: Black Edition
And Sleeping Dogs gets added to my list! Despite the bugs and glitches and other small oddities, a very enjoyable game. It just kept bigger and bigger and it was more and more like I was playing the main role in an enormous action movie and holy moly bang zoom WOW! Quite satisfying indeed.
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

And I'm not really sure what to think of it. It started out great and had the potential to become one of my favorite adventure games, because it has so many ingredients that I enjoy: beautiful graphics, good music, interesting settings, memorable characters, great voice acting, excellent atmosphere, several plot twists and revelations, suspense, partially even perfect pacing. It doesn't have many puzzles to speak of, but in the first half, when everything else was working fine, I didn't really mind that it's more of a cinematic experience with a bit of interactivity. But apparantly this was not enough for the whole game, which was probably shorter than The Longest Journey, but in the end I still felt it was too long for what it offered, once again.

Somewhen after the first half, I felt the story was kind of falling apart, getting less interesting and seemingly more random, the pacing went off, the interactions and puzzles got so simplistic that in part the gameplay was reduced to just running from cutscene to cutscene, from one long dialogue to the next, and the backtracking and longwinded dialogues that I disliked in TLJ started to bother me in Dreamfall, too. And the worst thing, I think, is that even if you compare the game to a movie, it wouldn't be a great one, or in any case not a very satisfactory experience, more like these middle parts of a trilogy that only prepare you for the grand finale. It's not just that it ends with a cliffhanger, there are so many loose ends that it doesn't really feel like a self-contained story anymore, despite the frame and circle structure that would suggest some kind of conclusion. It feels like it's just cut off and hastily bandaged at the end as if there was no more space and time to finish what they started, and that's all the more striking when you - like me - perceive the second half as a long-drawn-out mess of not so interesting story-telling and gameplay that could have been skipped and replaced by more exciting events that actually advance the story instead of just prolonging it.

So what I can say about it at this moment is that I found the game a bit more entertaining than TLJ - I played through it in a week or two, while TLJ took me a decade to finish - and that I really loved Dreamfall's first half. But I'm also disappointed that it didn't manage to keep the exciting pace of the beginning and that it didn't turn out to be as awesome as it seemed to promise. I guess I'll remember it as a game that's not greater than the sum of its parts, just a mix of cool ideas that didn't really add up to a fully convincing whole. But while I'm conflicted about the whole, at least I found some of its parts extremely pleasing.
Post edited October 15, 2014 by Leroux
06.18 - Sniper Elite V2 (Disapointed with the dificulty, even on elite that game is too easy)
10.02 - Just Cause (Dumb, messy, buggy, fun)
last monday - Lost Planet:Extreme Condition (It's all about the gameplay, nothing else to see here)
Right Now - Just Cause 2 (Less messy, less buggy, still dumb, still fun)
Post edited October 15, 2014 by neurasthenya