It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

One could say that I did a 180 on Flightsims which loved in my youth because I wanted to become a fighter pilot. But that didn't happen and so I pretty much stopped playing them.
I'm not in he mood to rub salt into old wounds...
I don't do 180s. If there are genres/games that I rarely/never play these days, it's because I have a huge backlog.
Matewis: Starcraft 2 is a bit of a different beast. At least Wings of Liberty. They kind of went overboard in ensuring every level is a different experience, so much so that I ended up wishing they had added 1 or 2 'boringly regular' build-base-destroy-enemy-base levels as well. Still, it's quite the experience, and of course being Blizzard it's polished to a perfect shine as well. Should mention though that, to their credit. they put a hell of an effort into the single player, even including most/all of the original game's units even though those don't appear in multiplayer. I had worried initially that they would be overly focused on the MP at the expense of SP.

The Chinese one feels so very far off... That one will have to wait until after Zeus and Poseidon :P By the way, food for thought, your perfectionism may also be applied to achieving a more natural/unique look for each city. It doesn't make quite as much sense, nor look as good, for each city to just have copy pasted housing blocks from every single other city. At least that works pretty good for me.
Here's an image of my, probably far from optimal, but pretty natural looking Damascus https://imgur.com/C7Csx9u
To be honest I never really enjoyed RTS campaigns much, I just liked playing skirmishes against the AI.
Starcraft 2 is free to play these days isn't it? I might just give it a go at some point and see what I think.

I've dipped in and out of pretty much all of them I think.
Unfortunately I don't think it works like that... I need things to be smooth and efficient, generally in city builders there are only a few ways to actually achieve that.
I'm currently playing Dwarf Fortress again and really struggling to do something different from my normal template (which to be fair isn't even all that efficient) and not look up a set up online to see how others do it...
That's a tough one. The only thing I can think of is that I wasn't all that interested in shooters (FPS/TPS) for a long time. I didn't dislike them, but I had very low interest in playing them. It's only more recently I started to get into them and catch up a bit, on both oldschool arcade and 'cinematic'/story-driven shooters (I still don't like military shooters though).
I think that, as a kid, I liked racing games. Which I see nowadays as very boring gameplay (except for Carmageddon). But also, it's a genre that may not survive the shift from amiga joystick (even 8-directional switch ones) to PC keyboard.
I was a lot more into JRPGs as a teen, but now I have to use fast forward and often codes to not get bored and move on to something else.

I also had some shorter periods where I was into certain fighting games. Now I can play them casually with friends but wouldn't really buy one. Same with most FPS games actually.

Didn't play TBS games much as a kid, whereas now I'm into them as long as they're fast paced in terms of transitions and animations.
Post edited September 15, 2018 by ResidentLeever
LittleCritter: ...
Matewis: Ever tried non-medieval rpgs? How about KOTOR or Fallout 1&2 which isn't first person? Even Fallout 3 imo feels like a rpg first, and fps second/third.
I've been considering Mass Effect & New Vegas for the longest time, problem with most sci-fi WRPGs is that they are rather heavily gunplay focused. Though I suppose you have the option to go full-on melee build in a game like Fallout, or rely exclusively on the VATS.

In general I avoid any genre that forces you to use guns, I don't like the way guns function in most games, and that they tend to be optimized for keyboard & mouse. I don't do keyboard, these hands were made for gamepads. But even with controller, holding still and slowly aiming while being swarmed with enemies all while keeping a constant eye on your bullet count to not run out of ammo, not my kinda gameplay.... it's the worst if the game is in FPP on top of that. FPP is pretty much a dealbreaker for any game. I find it so unnatural and disorienting to move around when you can't see your character's body... I can't tell where I'm going, whether I'm hitting something or getting hit, it's just plain frustrating.
Chalk up another one for RTS games. After playing a few RTSs, I found out most of them were turtle, tech, build a big army, steam roll enemy, rinse and repeat. I still like some RTS games but they are very VERY few

Diablo 2 turned me off ARPGs and got me back into them. When I first played D2, the pacing was bad, I wasn't finding any good loot and the game just felt boring. I shelved it for a few years and came back when Blizzard changed a lot of the mechanics and I loved it.

Dunno if it counts but early 2000's, after finishing Call of Duty 1 and the UO expansion pack, I was getting pretty burnt out on FPS games.
Real time strategy. I quite enjoyed them back in the day. Nowadays though, it does absolutely nothing for me.

Though Crusader Kings 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, so I guess I haven't completely gone off of it.
Hesusio: Real time strategy. I quite enjoyed them back in the day. Nowadays though, it does absolutely nothing for me.

Though Crusader Kings 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, so I guess I haven't completely gone off of it.
i think that might be the genre
i consider myself an RTS freak but I keep finding myself going back in time to get my fix: Old C&C, StarCraft 1, AoE. The new ones don't seem to hold up.

Yes, I know, I sound like a grumpy old man. :P
Post edited September 16, 2018 by tinyE
Hesusio: Real time strategy. I quite enjoyed them back in the day. Nowadays though, it does absolutely nothing for me.

tinyE: i think that might be the genre
i consider myself an RTS freak but I keep finding myself going back in time to get my fix: Old C&C, StarCraft 1, AoE. The new ones don't seem to hold up.

It's not that at all. I have tried going back to games I loved at the time, such a Impossible Creatures, Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. I get bored and frustrated within ten minutes (which, incidentally, is how most women would describe spending time with me). I've no idea why, exactly, but I just can't for the life of me get into them any more.

Hesusio: It's not that at all. I have tried going back to games I loved at the time, such a Impossible Creatures, Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. I get bored and frustrated within ten minutes (which, incidentally, is how most women would describe spending time with me). I've no idea why, exactly, but I just can't for the life of me get into them any more.
well now I'm depressed :P

and BTW, better change your forum title before people start thinking that you are me. :D
Post edited September 16, 2018 by tinyE

Well, I'll be snobbish asshole:
A) As far as I am concerned, RTS genre consists of Age of Empires 2 and Supreme Commander.

B) RTS freaks usually have high APM, unless you are our Lord and savior DauT.

Me being subjective snobbish asshole aside, RTS genre has been dead since Starcraft 2 came out, and game which came out after weren't good at all.

And as for genre, well, I used to adore FPS games, now I can't stand them. Boring as hell, unless it's something with decent world building like NOLF or System Shock.
Post edited September 16, 2018 by Mafwek
tinyE: and BTW, better change your forum title before people start thinking that you are me. :D
I don't know about that. After all, it's all but physically impossible for an internet forum to have just one idiot.