It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Remember the feeling of getting home with your gaming magazine, ripping open the plastic, and pulling out that sweet, sweet demo disc? While it may be challenging to find a demo disc in 2021, you can still get that good feeling of trying out a game before you buy in on GOG.COM!

With the Spring Sale on GOG.COM, you not only get a chance to snag some awesome deals in our many gaming collections, but we also have many games available that you can try out to see if they are your style. It’s also a great way to try out games that might not normally be something you’d be interested in!

We’ve collected 11 game demos from over 20 available in the Soon to Bloom collection for you to try out. You can learn more about each of them below!

11 great game demos to check out during the Spring Sale

Backbone Prologue – Put on your detective hat and start your journey in a noir roleplaying adventure. The game features 2.5D pixel art environments and classic point-and-click gameplay.

Shores Unknown: Arrival – Love turn-based RPGs or just simply want to see what the hype is about? Shores Unknown: Arrival lets you build a team of mercenaries in a decision-influenced, narrative-driven adventure. On top of that, if you love the game, you can transfer your save when the time comes!

Dorfromantik Demo – Do you like games that let you build villages? Do you want a bit of strategy thrown in? If so, this game is for you! You’ll get a stack of procedurally generated tiles to start, and from there, you can continue to expand, with some tiles even giving you quests!

Kathy Rain: Director's Cut Demo – This game is for pixel-art lovers that also love strong narrative-driven stories. With 4,000+ lines of fully-voiced dialogue, this point-and-click adventure follows a journalism major dealing with her troubled past and the mysterious death of her grandfather.

The Longest Road on Earth Demo – In this game, you’ll get an engaging visual novel set in a unique pixelated black-and-white environment. The Longest Road on Earth is all about experiences, whether exciting or mundane, and encourages players to stop and smell the roses.

A Space for the Unbound - Prologue – Explore rural Indonesia in the 90s in this side-scrolling pixelated adventure and exploration game. The game tackles such complex subjects as depression, anxiety, and relationships.

TASOMACHI: Behind the Twilight – Want to explore an abandoned town populated only by strange, cat-like creatures? TASOMACHI gives you the chance to do that while you repair your airship and clear dungeons.

Forgotten Fields Demo – This adventure narrative game is about the story of a writer struggling with writer’s block. But more than that, it’s a story about appreciating the present coming to terms with the passage of time.

Scarlet Hood and the Wicked Wood – Blending visual novel and puzzler, this game tasks players with reliving a seven-day period and making tough choices that will lead your hapless Munchkin troupe through dangerous woods will evading a hungry wolf.

Aground Demo – Looking for a mining and crafting RPG that takes you from the ground to the stars? Aground blends unique visuals with quests and building and crafting elements to deliver the total package!

Sunblaze Demo – If you love platformers, this is definitely worth checking out! You play as Jessie, aka Sunblaze, undergoing superhero training. Bright, pixelated visuals complement the theme very well, and the game seamlessly takes you from level to level, allowing you to game more and wait less.

There you have it! 11 awesome game demos that we’re featuring during the Spring Sale on GOG.COM! With over 20 demos available, there is almost certainly something here for everyone. Make sure to check out the Soon to Bloom collection, and remember, the Spring Sale runs until April 5th, 2021, at 1 PM UTC.

What do you think? Plan on downloading any of these demos? Let us know down in the comments!
Just say you always watched me and was the one who kept the last copy of the magazine in the local kiosk with an "I knew you would come for it"

All Demos and beyond https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_list_of_demos_on_gogcom

110 Demonstration versions are something gog.com!
I might be talking total nonsense but these free demos are there for real

thanks!^
Post edited March 30, 2021 by user deleted
Seb369: Just say you always watched me and was the one who kept the last copy of the magazine in the local kiosk with an "I knew you would come for it"

All Demos and beyond https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_list_of_demos_on_gogcom

110 Demonstration versions are something gog.com!
I might be talking total nonsense but these free demos are there for real

thanks!^
One-Hundred-and-ten???? Wow. Wouldn't have expected such a tonnage.

It's great that demos are back (again) in the games world. :)
Have there been any more demo's added since the start of the current sale?
A couple of days ago I tried Tasomachi. While I like the visuals I had trouble with controls. At a certain point you got to press a key F or Z to activate a platform which didn't work for me. The input wasn't recognized so it was impossible to progress further and finish this demo. It shares the same fate as Blacksad, The Walking Dead among others and it can't be a hardware or driver problem. Smelter, to name a rather more recent title, dodging to cross a chasm, it wasn't possible. While in some of the aforementioned games it is possible to remap buttons/keys it still refused to work. In Smelter it was impossible to map keys because in the menu screen all buttons were looking Xbox-Controller like (A)'s.

Others reported that it felt like their character was walking on ice sliding along a path and mid-air change of direction made it difficult for them to complete a jump or walk sequence over some of the rotating obstacles. I can't confirm this as for me keyboard and mouse controls in general worked very well and movement felt precise. Developers still got to fix this input problem which I hope they will as it is an interesting title I would like to see more of.
Mori_Yuki:
I tried Tasomachi last week with a controller and don't remember any of the issues you mentioned, although I do remember it feeling not ready yet in a few ways (the only one I can remember is if you try to talk with a character in town who seems to be offering you a quest you knock them over; it seems like the intent is to just hear what they are saying as you walk past, but ideally that would be indicated somehow as it is typical to be able to talk with NPCs in this kind of game).

Some of the demos are very early in development, even pre-in development release. It would be great if GOG would indicate this, say putting the in-development sticker at the top of demos that aren't release quality. I might try some early demos for a few games that look particularly interesting, but for the most part I would like to try release quality demos of games that are released or soon to be released.
Mori_Yuki:
joveian: I tried Tasomachi last week with a controller and don't remember any of the issues you mentioned, although I do remember it feeling not ready yet in a few ways (the only one I can remember is if you try to talk with a character in town who seems to be offering you a quest you knock them over; it seems like the intent is to just hear what they are saying as you walk past, but ideally that would be indicated somehow as it is typical to be able to talk with NPCs in this kind of game).

Some of the demos are very early in development, even pre-in development release. It would be great if GOG would indicate this, say putting the in-development sticker at the top of demos that aren't release quality. I might try some early demos for a few games that look particularly interesting, but for the most part I would like to try release quality demos of games that are released or soon to be released.
I didn't try playing with controller since up to that point keyboard/mouse worked very well. There is also one of my personal rules when it comes what I suspect is a console conversion: Iff a game/demo is released for PC it has to work with native input devices being mouse and/or keyboard. I don't care so much about when it's only just a demo. It being what it is I don't expect not running into bugs or problems which I don't make much of a fuzz about when it happens. More important is the opportunity to gain a good impression and this was the case. Input issues, if there are any, can and should be fixed, they have to work with native input - else - there is no love from this person (meaning money being spent purchasing the game). ;-)
Mori_Yuki:
I find a buggy game usually makes a bad impression, unless I really like that type of game generally or enough about the game in particular. I would usually prefer not to even hear about a game until it is fully working and fully complete. For that reason I am a fan of Epic exclusives, more money for the developers and I don't see it until it actually works (sucks though for anyone who does like to play during development and wants a DRM-free version). The bad impression many demos make stays with me for a while even with my not so great memory so I'm less likely to try a more polished release quality demo or otherwise consider the game until the price is quite low. I was impressed by the Disater Report 4 demo and probably paid twice what I would have without the demo. I just don't want developers or GOG to decide that not as many people are buying games with demos as they expected and therefore demos are bad when it is actually just that they are showing unpolished buggy demos to people who are looking for high quality finished games.

In this case I have enjoyed several Playism published games so I am hopeful that they will fix it before release and am willing to give it more of a chance than I would most games. They also at least mention it is in development in not super long text that not all of them do, I should have seen that and waited.