It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Thinking about the daychat discussion from earlier: Let's at some point have a game without nightchat, to get even closer to the real life experience! Scum just knows their own team, but can't strategize, other than by doing so obliquely within the public thread. The nightkill is decided by 'pointing' (scum members may only post the name of their preferred target, until there's consensus / a majority; they'd be allowed to point to multiple people in a row to indicate everyone they'd be open for, or to point to the same person multiple times for emphasis).

Would this give the same 0.5 person advantage to town as daychat is presumed to give to scum?
gogtrial34987: Let's at some point have a game without nightchat,
69 (hehe)
I haven an idea for a new role. But I'm not sure yet about it's playability and utility.

The Pairity Cops

They work basically like a Parity Cop, but in pairs. I.e. there have to be two Pairity-Cops and each of them gets to investigate one person each Night and they get a result of 'Same' if the two targets share the same alignment and 'Different' if they differ. So basically, together they are one Parity-Cop who works twice as fast as usual.

There are some variants / open questions to decide.

The most powerful version would know each other and have a Night-Chat to coordinate. This version would combine the powers of masons and a turbo-Parity-Cop. Probably IMBA.

The mid-level powered version would know each other, but have not possibility to communicate secretly. They would have to find a way to coordinate within plain sight.

The weakest version would NOT know each other. This would pose the challenge when to claim. Does one claim after a Night or Two to compare notes? Or does one risk that the investigation results get lost? Or does one breadcrumb heavily and hopes that after ones death the unknown partner will pick up the hints?

One could also raise the power of the weakest version to mid-level, by introducing that upon the death of one Pairity-Cop the other Pairity-Cops inherits the notes of his deceases partner, so that he can retroactively make sense of his own readings.

In the cases where the Pairity Cops know each other, a requirement would be that they can't investigate each other. Otherwise it would be too easy to calibrate the 'same' / 'different' responses, thereby turning the Pairity Cops into regular Cops.

So, what do you think?
ow pun
Lifthrasil: So, what do you think?
1) They should be called the Buddy Cops.

2) There needs to a game where the mafia is referred to as The Greater Good Society and goes around killing people that they feel will impede the unnamed village that the game takes place in from winning the "Village of the Year" award. Priorities are important.
Catventurer: 2) There needs to a game where the mafia is referred to as The Greater Good Society and goes around killing people that they feel will impede the unnamed village that the game takes place in from winning the "Village of the Year" award. Priorities are important.
Sort of like this one, but not?
Catventurer: 2) There needs to a game where the mafia is referred to as The Greater Good Society and goes around killing people that they feel will impede the unnamed village that the game takes place in from winning the "Village of the Year" award. Priorities are important.
Bookwyrm627: Sort of like this one, but not?
Yes. Like that but with Buddy Cops trying to hunt down and arrest the members of the Neighbourhood Watch Alliance (NWA) before they kill more people for the greater good and so that Sandford can win the "Village of the Year" award.
Bookwyrm627: Sort of like this one, but not?
Ahh, the Hot Fuzz Mafia. Good times! :-)
Oy, real talk though. When is the next game gonna happen?
Ambiti0nZ: Oy, real talk though. When is the next game gonna happen?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/anime_girls_forum_mafia_thingy_thingy_please_sign_up
Lifthrasil: I haven an idea for a new role. But I'm not sure yet about it's playability and utility.

The Pairity Cops

They work basically like a Parity Cop, but in pairs. I.e. there have to be two Pairity-Cops and each of them gets to investigate one person each Night and they get a result of 'Same' if the two targets share the same alignment and 'Different' if they differ. So basically, together they are one Parity-Cop who works twice as fast as usual.

There are some variants / open questions to decide.

The most powerful version would know each other and have a Night-Chat to coordinate. This version would combine the powers of masons and a turbo-Parity-Cop. Probably IMBA.

The mid-level powered version would know each other, but have not possibility to communicate secretly. They would have to find a way to coordinate within plain sight.

The weakest version would NOT know each other. This would pose the challenge when to claim. Does one claim after a Night or Two to compare notes? Or does one risk that the investigation results get lost? Or does one breadcrumb heavily and hopes that after ones death the unknown partner will pick up the hints?

One could also raise the power of the weakest version to mid-level, by introducing that upon the death of one Pairity-Cop the other Pairity-Cops inherits the notes of his deceases partner, so that he can retroactively make sense of his own readings.

In the cases where the Pairity Cops know each other, a requirement would be that they can't investigate each other. Otherwise it would be too easy to calibrate the 'same' / 'different' responses, thereby turning the Pairity Cops into regular Cops.

So, what do you think?
Oy. I like the idea of these cops, but I see a lot of gamebreaking potential. But before that, I am not sure what you mean by "compare notes". In my view both Buddy Cops get the same result: "equal" or "different" (no names included) in both PM boxes. I suppose you mean each of them doesn't know who the other targeted, right? In this case indeed that knowledge risks being lost if one of them dies before they can tell who their target was.

I understand their optimal strategy would be to keep checking until they find "different" OR up to N investigations succeed, then come out and blurt out all they know about everyone. Both are immediately confirmed as mason-likes. Once one of them is dead, the other becomes defacto an IC: useless as a role, but pretty much unlynchable.
Furthermore, they can easily confirm a boatload of people in a sudden moment. Suppose they investigated players A and B the first night, B and C the second. Then the poor unaware mafia kills any of these the second night. Upon the flip the effectively-easily-confirmed-as-Town duo already know and can vouch for two other players' alignment.
Mafia would run out of hiding spots extremely fast. That's why I see them as too easy to break the game: if you leave them alone two nights, the game is lost already.

Some nerfs are essential. At the very least, limit the number of investigations to 2 in a large game and 1 in a smaller game.

There is also the issue of what happens if both cops can't coordinate and they happen to choose the same target. Is the shot spent and they receive "equal"? I entertained the thought that they would not lose their limited use shot but it's a wasted night and they risk being next night's NK so it is a loss. As a consolation prize they would know their partner chose the same target, so at least they know their partner isn't the player they were looking into.
Post edited September 05, 2022 by joppo
i've just signed up for another game on mafia universe o_o

this one has sensible deadlines, but i'm guessing the players are going to be srsly

anybody up for joining me on an outing? :)
JoeSapphire: i've just signed up for another game on mafia universe o_o

this one has sensible deadlines, but i'm guessing the players are going to be srsly

anybody up for joining me on an outing? :)
Fuck that shit! DK wasn't exactly a fantastic ambassador for their community.

More seriously, I don't blame MU for DK's behaviour, but at the same time I'm not exactly interested in playing in the place that bred those expectations.
Post edited September 08, 2022 by my name is grompy catte
my name is grompy catte: Fuck that shit! DK wasn't exactly a fantastic ambassador for their community.

More seriously, I don't blame MU for DK's behaviour, but at the same time I'm not exactly interested in playing in the place that bred those expectations.
DK's the co-mod and likely knows the mod irl. Also they're from Mafiascum.
my name is grompy catte: Fuck that shit! DK wasn't exactly a fantastic ambassador for their community.

FrostburnPhoenix: DK's the co-mod and likely knows the mod irl. Also they're from Mafiascum.
how did you know?? is your name-? it's not...?

scoomby doo??