It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I am here. I am fatuous. Or is that fabulous? Maybe I meant fallacious.

Anyways, game. That I am hosting. Fun. I have a bookmark here somewhere for what I wanted to run.

If
PookaMustard:
wishes to co-host, that's fine by me.

I'm thinking of running Scales of Justice as a small setup that's just open enough for my tastes.

Any objections?

No?

Excellent. (Actually, if you do have objections, I'd like to hear them.)

I'll open a sign-up thread tonight or tomorrow or sometime after that.
Post edited July 05, 2019 by agentcarr16
agentcarr16: I'll open a sign-up thread tonight or tomorrow or sometime after that.
Please reserve seat #1 for me.
agentcarr16: I'll open a sign-up thread tonight or tomorrow or sometime after that.
ZFR: Please reserve seat #1 for me.
The reservationing machine is borked ATM, so don't be surprised if you're reserved modulo X, where X is a sufficiently large or small positive or negative number that's a blood-relative of epsilon.
Ooh, make me mafia! You owe me. :P
agentcarr16: I'm thinking of running Scales of Justice as a small setup that's just open enough for my tastes.
Nice setup.

Does Strongman override blocker?

Also, do two townies get the same voted role?
Post edited July 05, 2019 by ZFR
agentcarr16: I'm thinking of running Scales of Justice as a small setup that's just open enough for my tastes.
ZFR: Nice setup.

Does Strongman override blocker?

Also, do two townies get the same voted role?
Yeah, seems neat.

Yes. Strongman overrides Roleblocker by design.

Huh. That isn't clear, so I'd say the roles chosen during Day 0 must be unique.
Post edited July 05, 2019 by agentcarr16
cristigale: We actually ran that setup in Game #33. It was fun. I was paired with HijacK and was certain from the get go we'd be lynched first because the others would gun for him. That was during Hijack's how to win friends and influence people phase. ;-)
ZFR: Well, the Lovers pairing would solve the issue of lynching-Mafia-hard-confirms-partner.

Still, I'd like to try something with neighbours too.
If you're concerned about the power of an confirmed town, some ways to lessen the impact:
-make them a tree stump or have them die and become a ghost (no voting power) for one or more days
-have them be a lover but they take slow acting poison (die at the end of the next Day phase but can vote that day)
-if most/all players have PR's. remove their power either permanently or for a day (they are in mourning)

Just some thoughts
cristigale: ..........

That was during Hijack's how to win friends and influence people phase. ;-)
lol.
agentcarr16: Huh. That isn't clear, so I'd say the roles chosen during Day 0 must be unique.
Looks to me like players vote for each role slot, so there could be duplicates. Mafia have the chance to push for whatever role(s) are countered by the Mafia PR choice (godfather and two cops!), and townies can watch for Mafia making such a push, and paranoia is fun all the way around.
Just to let everyone know, I AM going to be agent's co-host next game! I'll be watching you go nuts from my lesser admin throne ;)
Just don't double post. That's punishable by Zeus.
ZFR: Well, the Lovers pairing would solve the issue of lynching-Mafia-hard-confirms-partner.

Still, I'd like to try something with neighbours too.
cristigale: If you're concerned about the power of an confirmed town, some ways to lessen the impact:
-make them a tree stump or have them die and become a ghost (no voting power) for one or more days
-have them be a lover but they take slow acting poison (die at the end of the next Day phase but can vote that day)
-if most/all players have PR's. remove their power either permanently or for a day (they are in mourning)

Just some thoughts
I haven't spent a lot of thought on it, but it occurred to me it's a bit like having an innocent child and a backup innocent child. ;)

You could balance it a bit by buffing wolves, or simply weaken other town roles as well. Cop demoted to watcher, Doc reduced to 2-shot, etc.

Macho neighbors?
agentcarr16: Huh. That isn't clear, so I'd say the roles chosen during Day 0 must be unique.
I would agree that seems to be the intent.

I think the part that's less clear is the voting itself. Does everyone get two votes or just 1? Are ties broken by random role?

As unlikely as it is, if everyone only gets 1 vote, what happens to the second role if all 9 players vote cop? ;)
Post edited July 06, 2019 by bler144
Bookwyrm627: Looks to me like players vote for each role slot, so there could be duplicates. Mafia have the chance to push for whatever role(s) are countered by the Mafia PR choice (godfather and two cops!), and townies can watch for Mafia making such a push, and paranoia is fun all the way around.
OK, I can see that working. Makes a bit more sense.

EDIT: Everyone was wrong. I went and read the OP for the game where the setup was first used.

Each players gets two votes during Day 0. These votes may not both be placed on the same role. Once a role has reached majority, the role with the next most number of votes is selected as the second role. In case of a tie, the most recent to receive a vote is selected, not including unvotes and revotes which leave the vote count effectively unchanged.
Post edited July 06, 2019 by agentcarr16
Makes sense. I do agree there will likely be some paranoia around who is voting what and why.

There's also a bit of a tactical dilemma here. By the numbers Godfather is the least useful role since it counters only one town role (cop) whereas strongman (doctor, RB) and Ninja (Tracker/watcher) both counter two.

But RB is a mixed choice for town in this setup since it's technically more likely to harm town N1 (1 other night action for each town/mafia, and mafia may not be blockable).

Tracker/watcher have more utility than usual since they actually can confirm alignment in most situations, albeit a few scenarios where they could lynch town. ;)

Etc.

At least in theory, doesn't town pick doc + one investigator every time despite the possible strongman?
Post edited July 06, 2019 by bler144
bler144: Makes sense. I do agree there will likely be some paranoia around who is voting what and why.

There's also a bit of a tactical dilemma here. By the numbers Godfather is the least useful role since it counters only one town role (cop) whereas strongman (doctor, RB) and Ninja (Tracker/watcher) both counter two.

But RB is a mixed choice for town in this setup since it's technically more likely to harm town N1 (1 other night action for each town/mafia, and mafia may not be blockable).

Tracker/watcher have more utility than usual since they actually can confirm alignment in most situations, albeit a few scenarios where they could lynch town. ;)

Etc.

At least in theory, doesn't town pick doc + one investigator every time despite the possible strongman?
Geez, at least wait for the sign-up thread before playing the game. :P
agentcarr16: Geez, at least wait for the sign-up thread before playing the game. :P
Not game, just game theory. ;)

In reality even if everyone agreed on the logic some people would vote with their gut anyway.