It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sorry if I'm derailing this a bit from agentcarr's question, but I gotta ask this before I forget:
What do you guys think about putting together a "testing group" of sorts? Test out roles, forum setups, mod ideas and whatnot in a series of short, bloody games. Unlike regular sign-ups, this would be the same small handful of people playing a bunch of games which will probably be badly skewed.
drealmer7: In my limited experience and knowledge, no. Initially I was thinking cop+jailer. A doc seems imbalanced. I'm assuming scum has night-chat?
agentcarr16: Nope, no night chat. This is IRL, remember? It'll be over in an hour, if that.

trentonlf: It would be better if there was no vig if you are not giving the Mafia any roles.
agentcarr16: OK, I'll just remove the Vig then. I'm not sure which of the players, if any, have played before, so I want it simple.
As Bler pointed out, werewolf is much easier live than Mafia. Same basic game
To be honest, I mean the same thing when I say "Mafia" as when I say "Werewolf". IMO, it all comes down to flavour.

What differences would you guys see?
trentonlf: Need to give Mafia a strongman (1 or 2 shot) or a roleblocker at least.
agentcarr16: I was afraid that might be the case.

Strongman is a really unusual role in RL Mafia. I don't think it would work at all well :-/
Roleblocker might work, but it'd add a level of complexity that I'm trying to stay away from.

Would it be balanced if I removed the Vig?
Especially if this is an open setup, what is going to prevent the Doctor from just following the cop around while the Cop goes hunting? Something to consider.

I've seen some rough formulas to try and calculate some of these things, but they might apply more to forum mafia than RL mafia. If nothing else, give the mafia an extra person.
zeogold: Sorry if I'm derailing this a bit from agentcarr's question, but I gotta ask this before I forget:
What do you guys think about putting together a "testing group" of sorts? Test out roles, forum setups, mod ideas and whatnot in a series of short, bloody games. Unlike regular sign-ups, this would be the same small handful of people playing a bunch of games which will probably be badly skewed.
Short AND Bloody? You really want to give me a present, don't you?
Post edited January 22, 2016 by Bookwyrm627
agentcarr16: To be honest, I mean the same thing when I say "Mafia" as when I say "Werewolf". IMO, it all comes down to flavour.

Yeah, I too just thought it was flavor differences.

And I misread, thought you were talking about a forum game, comparing it to RL, not making a RL game.

I played my first werewolf/mafia game with a group of people where half had never played before, 1/4 were super-experienced, and 1/4 were semi-experienced. We played 2 games back-to-back and it went really well for the most part. Except the moderator never told us the flips (he was quite drunk)!

The only role in both games was the cop (fortune teller.)
agentcarr16: To be honest, I mean the same thing when I say "Mafia" as when I say "Werewolf". IMO, it all comes down to flavour.

From that perspective none, other than that werewolf (at least in my personal experience) rarely has "other roles" beyond seer/werewolf.

You could make that a cop/mafia instead for flavor purposes, though personally I think people like the imaginary spookiness of werewolves more than "hey, you might really get shot out there!"

Though maybe that's being in the U.S. rather than Canada. ;)
agentcarr16: I was afraid that might be the case.

Strongman is a really unusual role in RL Mafia. I don't think it would work at all well :-/
Roleblocker might work, but it'd add a level of complexity that I'm trying to stay away from.

Would it be balanced if I removed the Vig?
Bookwyrm627: Especially if this is an open setup, what is going to prevent the Doctor from just following the cop around while the Cop goes hunting? Something to consider.
I'm thinking I'll say the Doctor can't target the same player two nights in a row. That's the easiest solution.

Maybe I'll add another Mafia. Maybe I won't. In the end, I'll probably just roll with whatever my gut is telling me :-P
bler144: From that perspective none, other than that werewolf (at least in my personal experience) rarely has "other roles" beyond seer/werewolf.
The werewolves of miller's hollow deck I have has numerous roles. Sheriff, lovers, cupid, thief (very cool!), fortune teller, and a witch.

anyone seen dedo around? does he get the PM notification?
Post edited January 22, 2016 by drealmer7
bler144: From that perspective none, other than that werewolf (at least in my personal experience) rarely has "other roles" beyond seer/werewolf.
drealmer7: The werewolves of miller's hollow deck I have has numerous roles. Sheriff, lovers, cupid, thief (very cool!), fortune teller, and a witch.

anyone seen dedo around? does he get the PM notification?
I will let him know
zeogold: Sorry if I'm derailing this a bit from agentcarr's question, but I gotta ask this before I forget:
Not sure I follow, what would be the purpose of this?
HypersomniacLive: Not sure I follow, what would be the purpose of this?
There needs to be an extra purpose behind short, bloody games? ;)

I'd guess to test ideas out, see how they might function when taken off the drawing board and actually pitched out into the "real world".
high rated
Bookwyrm627: There needs to be an extra purpose behind short, bloody games? ;)

[...]
Of course there is.

*shoots Bookwyrm627, he drops dead*

See?

Bookwyrm627: [...]

I'd guess to test ideas out, see how they might function when taken off the drawing board and actually pitched out into the "real world".
Still not sure I follow - if an idea works in a short game with a handful of people, then implement it in a regular game? Why is that supposed to make the idea work in a regular game?

And what about the same small handful of people, do they then also play in the regular game? Or are they supposed to only participate in the "test group"?
low rated
HypersomniacLive: Not sure I follow, what would be the purpose of this?
To test experimental roles/roles you're not sure would work and see what needs to be tweaked. Also to test out various mafia setups, forum setups, etc. I talked it over with bler quite a bit, but decided I should probably post my thoughts here as well.
HypersomniacLive: Still not sure I follow - if an idea works in a short game with a handful of people, then implement it in a regular game? Why is that supposed to make the idea work in a regular game?

And what about the same small handful of people, do they then also play in the regular game? Or are they supposed to only participate in the "test group"?
Again, to test roles. And forum setups. I spoke with bler about an idea to use a forum outside of GOG for the purpose of having roles where the player can carry some degree of anonymity. As far as what games they're allowed to play, doesn't really make much of a difference to me.
Post edited January 23, 2016 by zeogold
I was hoping you'd play this next game, HSL! I miss your analytical style, and your style in general! Hope all is well and that you return to the fold soon!

let's accumulate those players! still aiming for a group of 19 for my setup whenever I come around to host~
Post edited January 23, 2016 by drealmer7
drealmer7: I was hoping you'd play this next game, HSL! I miss your analytical style, and your style in general! Hope all is well and that you return to the fold soon!

let's accumulate those players! still aiming for a group of 19 for my setup whenever I come around to host~
If I ever manage to throw a testing group together, you seem like you'd be a good addition with your constant roleplay.