It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Can USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea and other countries participate in Eurovision?
Azhdar: Can USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea and other countries participate in Eurovision?
Participation is not bound by geography. If the criteria of the European Broadcasting Union are met, a country may enter. All the countries you named already have associate member status.
Azhdar: Can USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea and other countries participate in Eurovision?
k4ZE106: Participation is not bound by geography. If the criteria of the European Broadcasting Union are met, a country may enter. All the countries you named already have associate member status.
Once again Europe and complicated government bureaucracy appear in the same place. Look, I'm an American. I'm long on cash, short on time. Isn't there someone here that I could slip an extra $20 so I can skip to the front of the line?
Here'd be a sort of official answer... Which doesn't include Australia, but that was a stated exception.

"Active membership of the EBU is open to broadcasting organisations or groups of such organisations from:
•a member country of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) situated in the European Broadcasting Area as defined by the Radio Regulations annexed to the International Telecommunication Convention, or a member country of the Council of Europe which is situated outside the European Broadcasting Area
•which provide in that country, with the authorisation of the competent authorities, a broadcasting service of national character and importance, and which furthermore prove that they fulfil all the conditions set out below:
•(a) virtually all of the national radio and/or television households are in a position and technically equipped to receive the entirety of their major radio and/or television programme service with satisfactory technical quality;
•(b) they are under an obligation to, and actually do, provide varied and balanced programming for all sections of the population, including programmes catering for special/minority interests of various sections of the public, irrespective of the ratio of programme cost to audience;
•(c) they actually produce and/or commission at their own cost and under their own editorial control a substantial proportion of the programmes broadcast;
•(d) they are not linked to a sports rights agency which engages in the acquisition of European television rights in competition with the EBU."

"The "European Broadcasting Area" is bounded on the West by the western boundary of Region 1, on the east by the meridian 40° East of Greenwich and on the South by the parallel 30° North so as to include the northern part of Saudi Arabia and that part of those countries bordering the Mediterranean within these limits. That is also the reason why for example Israel can take part in the contest.

In addition, Iraq, Jordan and that part of the territory of Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey and Ukraine lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area."
TStael: I perso always remain conscious of the noble original ideal of ESC, and enjoy it as it stands - but really, rather persuade proper EBU members such as Lebanon and Tunisia to participate than to give Australia a freebie!

Frans... If I wanted to think there was great corruption in ESC voting, him coming fifth would be greater proof than Ukraine winning! (IMO)
MightyPinecone: I wonder if they're gonna make Australia a fixture of the competition now? I must admit that I didn't watch last year so it came as quite a surprise to me that they were a part of the event.

Frans is Swedish soft power at its finest! (Or possibly the power of the northern Eurovision voting block).
Note: I am a Finn, Mighty. So when I say underwhelming vocals of Frans did not deserve, you can tell me I am just a bit jealous, if you wish.

My view: if Australia wants this sort of things, with some responsibility of success, Oceania should make their own competition.

And on tops - why court Australia, when North Africa and Lebanon joining could create a much more profitable positive cohesion for Europe?
MightyPinecone: I wonder if they're gonna make Australia a fixture of the competition now? I must admit that I didn't watch last year so it came as quite a surprise to me that they were a part of the event.

Frans is Swedish soft power at its finest! (Or possibly the power of the northern Eurovision voting block).
TStael: Note: I am a Finn, Mighty. So when I say underwhelming vocals of Frans did not deserve, you can tell me I am just a bit jealous, if you wish.

My view: if Australia wants this sort of things, with some responsibility of success, Oceania should make their own competition.

And on tops - why court Australia, when North Africa and Lebanon joining could create a much more profitable positive cohesion for Europe?
I should probably thank you, after all Finland gave us 22 points out of 24 possible. You must really like Frans!

And I agree, inviting northern Africa to join the competition would probably be good for the stability in the region. I think though that the threat of terrorist attack might be particularly high if the competition were to be held in northern Africa in the near future.
TStael: Note: I am a Finn, Mighty. So when I say underwhelming vocals of Frans did not deserve, you can tell me I am just a bit jealous, if you wish.

MightyPinecone: I should probably thank you, after all Finland gave us 22 points out of 24 possible. You must really like Frans!

And I agree, inviting northern Africa to join the competition would probably be good for the stability in the region. I think though that the threat of terrorist attack might be particularly high if the competition were to be held in northern Africa in the near future.
Except I told you Frans being #five was the greatest proof of corrupted voting - we Finns voted for Frans because we love Sweden. That is fine. But when it extends to Frans - corrupt. We should be stronger than that.

May u be 17 like Frans?

North Africa and Lebanon should join our light-hearted belonging, because they belong to EBU (European Broadcasting Union) - and I do think they rather belong, and would potentially bring forth interesting music.
TStael: North Africa and Lebanon should join our light-hearted belonging, because they belong to EBU (European Broadcasting Union) - and I do think they rather belong, and would potentially bring forth interesting music.
Morocco did take part once, in 1980. And I see that Tunisia was supposed to more than once but withdrew due to not wanting to have to deal with Israel, which may be an issue for others from the area too. So much for unity and peace and all. Still, in Tunisia's case some things may have changed in recent years.
And Jordan would also go there next to Lebanon, also being an EBU member outside of Europe or Northern Africa.
TStael: North Africa and Lebanon should join our light-hearted belonging, because they belong to EBU (European Broadcasting Union) - and I do think they rather belong, and would potentially bring forth interesting music.
Cavalary: Morocco did take part once, in 1980. And I see that Tunisia was supposed to more than once but withdrew due to not wanting to have to deal with Israel, which may be an issue for others from the area too. So much for unity and peace and all. Still, in Tunisia's case some things may have changed in recent years.
And Jordan would also go there next to Lebanon, also being an EBU member outside of Europe or Northern Africa.
Israel participates with joy - but this trivial enough, surely? As should be Tunisia and co participating.

It is a missed opportunity for EU building bridges, I tend to think.
Cavalary: Morocco did take part once, in 1980. And I see that Tunisia was supposed to more than once but withdrew due to not wanting to have to deal with Israel, which may be an issue for others from the area too. So much for unity and peace and all. Still, in Tunisia's case some things may have changed in recent years.
TStael: Israel participates with joy - but this trivial enough, surely? As should be Tunisia and co participating.

Just going quickly by Wikipedia here, but "At present, a total of 32 United Nations member states do not recognise the State of Israel: 18 of the 21 UN members in the Arab League: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen; a further 11 members of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Chad, Guinea, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Mali, Niger, and Pakistan. Other countries which do not recognise Israel include Bhutan, Cuba, and North Korea."
I see Lebanon also withdrew due to being required to broadcast the entire competition after trying to enter in 2005, as the law didn't allow them to broadcast the Israeli entry. And on top of the Israel issue, Morocco stated after their bad result in 1980 that they will never return, though at least last year they sent a delegation to observe, not sure of this year.

Ah well. Politics and all.
TStael: Israel participates with joy - but this trivial enough, surely? As should be Tunisia and co participating.

Cavalary: Just going quickly by Wikipedia here, but "At present, a total of 32 United Nations member states do not recognise the State of Israel: 18 of the 21 UN members in the Arab League: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen; a further 11 members of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Chad, Guinea, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Mali, Niger, and Pakistan. Other countries which do not recognise Israel include Bhutan, Cuba, and North Korea."
I see Lebanon also withdrew due to being required to broadcast the entire competition after trying to enter in 2005, as the law didn't allow them to broadcast the Israeli entry. And on top of the Israel issue, Morocco stated after their bad result in 1980 that they will never return, though at least last year they sent a delegation to observe, not sure of this year.

Ah well. Politics and all.
EBU = European Broadcasting Union.

Financing, and ideals, and all.

North Africa belongs, and pays already, for your information. I would like them to enjoy promotional benefit, while at it - and maybe throw in some interesting musical numbers. I miss Turkey for that modern oriental sound, actually.
TStael: North Africa belongs, and pays already, for your information. I would like them to enjoy promotional benefit, while at it - and maybe throw in some interesting musical numbers. I miss Turkey for that modern oriental sound, actually.
No complaints from me about them participating, was just pointing out that they won't unless some things take a drastic turn at a high level. *shrug*
TStael: North Africa belongs, and pays already, for your information. I would like them to enjoy promotional benefit, while at it - and maybe throw in some interesting musical numbers. I miss Turkey for that modern oriental sound, actually.
In the French-speaking world, it's a bit easier to invite musical artists from North-Africa and Central Africa as we share (partially of course) the same language.
Cavalary: No complaints from me about them participating, was just pointing out that they won't unless some things take a drastic turn at a high level. *shrug*
Yet I never said about participations that way. I wish you could see the benefit of ESC as I can. I just see North Africa / Mediterranean - Tunisia and Lebanon in particular, as soft diplomatic victories that would benefit both Europe and North Africa for tangibles to follow.
catpower1980: In the French-speaking world, it's a bit easier to invite musical artists from North-Africa and Central Africa as we share (partially of course) the same language.
You are an ESC fan - and still claim that English Song winning most easily is the ideal?

Of course, singing in French - English- Senegalese like Yuossou N'Dour -plus brining the most amazing grace of Mbalax unto Eurovision. I'd be all for it! And you?