It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pedrovay2003: Anyone planning on getting Blaster Master Zero 3 on Epic? I already have it on Steam, but I'd love a DRM-free version.
AmethystViper: I sadly doubt that because Inti Creates have gone on record to say that they don't plan to make their games or games they co-developed DRM-free on PC. They also screwed ArtPlay and Kickstarter backers of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night over by pulling the DRM-free builds of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon away at the last minute from distribution and backers such as myself were rejected from getting a DRM-free version of the game when I was asked on my backer survey, despite the Kickstarter promised a DRM-free version of the game. The only exception to this is Mighty No. 9 on Steam which I can confirm it can play without Steam (both 32-bit and 64-bit executables) and doesn't using any tricks to get around Steam after the installation.
Is the DLC for Mighty No 9 also DRM Free or does it require Steam running to use?
AmethystViper: I sadly doubt that because Inti Creates have gone on record to say that they don't plan to make their games or games they co-developed DRM-free on PC. They also screwed ArtPlay and Kickstarter backers of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night over by pulling the DRM-free builds of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon away at the last minute from distribution and backers such as myself were rejected from getting a DRM-free version of the game when I was asked on my backer survey, despite the Kickstarter promised a DRM-free version of the game. The only exception to this is Mighty No. 9 on Steam which I can confirm it can play without Steam (both 32-bit and 64-bit executables) and doesn't using any tricks to get around Steam after the installation.
Crimson-X: Is the DLC for Mighty No 9 also DRM Free or does it require Steam running to use?
i would say the DLC's are also DRM-free. At least "Retro Hero" is working and you got the "Manic" mode and the retro styled hero, even if Steam isn't running but i don't know how to check "Ray Expansion" without a save game.

...You could get the Steam keys for the main game and DLS's cheaper at Humble at the moment..
Phoenix Point should run without the Epic Games Launcher unless Snapshot Games changed something since the game was published on the platform. As far as I’m aware it was possible to run the game without the launcher ever since the Backer Build days on Epic.
Crimson-X: Is the DLC for Mighty No 9 also DRM Free or does it require Steam running to use?
All of Mighty No. 9's DLCs are DRM-free on Steam; I've gotten my hands dirty to get a hold of the Mega-Xel and Golden Beck backer DLCs and plopped them into my game's "DLC" folder and I was able to use the Mega-Xel form and had access to Golden Back from the General Options menu.
Gognarok: i would say the DLC's are also DRM-free. At least "Retro Hero" is working and you got the "Manic" mode and the retro styled hero, even if Steam isn't running but i don't know how to check "Ray Expansion" without a save game.

...You could get the Steam keys for the main game and DLS's cheaper at Humble at the moment..
I have the RAY Expansion DLC on my Steam account and can confirm I can play RAY's stage as Beck and unlock RAY as a playable character without Steam running.
Post edited August 31, 2021 by AmethystViper
Yoku's Island Express is DRM-free. It gives you an error message when you start it up, but it can be ignored.
Lake works without the client.
Does anybody have Horizon Zero Dawn on Epic? There is now a claim coming from a brand new PCGamingWiki user which states that the game is no longer DRM-free.
Roze: Does anybody have Horizon Zero Dawn on Epic? There is now a claim coming from a brand new PCGamingWiki user which states that the game is no longer DRM-free.
I don't think I have it to test myself. Also, at the moment I'm looking after a disabled relative and generally have less time to re-download and re-test large games than I did so I rely on the contributions of fellow GOGers here for updates. Perhaps some kind soul here could retest?
Roze: Does anybody have Horizon Zero Dawn on Epic? There is now a claim coming from a brand new PCGamingWiki user which states that the game is no longer DRM-free.
Yeah, unfortunately, I think a lot of Epic games are going to have to be retested...

https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/pinw1l/devs_sneak_eos_into_singleplayer_games_heres_a/

EDIT: Actually, that might not be the most reliable link. I just tried Remnant again, which link says now requires Epic accounts, and that's absolutely not true. It still runs perfectly fine DRM-free (although you do need to be logged into Epic for the DLC to be recognized, to my knowledge).
Post edited September 09, 2021 by pedrovay2003
You are mixing some stuff up here pedrovay.

That reddit post claims that some game have retroactively integrated an Epic framework that CAN be used for extra services like achievements and cloud saves, etc.
This is NOT the same as DRM.

The reason that reddit post warns us about it is because that framework makes calls to Epic servers and they can use those calls to get telemetry and other user data, which is a privacy issue.

It is possible that, if a game (!) forces those calls and Epic requires your account to be active, that Epic wants you to have the client on, but that is not always the case. There are other ways to do that. I don't know which methods Epics used and don't care enough to find out.
The problem is that a game CAN require those framework calls in order to function at all, but that is entirely the game developer's choice, not Epic. In short, if this framework causes the game to be unplayable, then the game dev is lazy or screwing you over.
We've seen similar cases with steam, where certain games need steam because they hard coded their game with the steam savegame system. Other games also use that system if steam is on, but just default back to their own system if steam is off.

So that reddit post says nothing about the game client being mandatory or DRM being added. You'd have to test that on a game by game basis.
pedrovay2003: Yeah, unfortunately, I think a lot of Epic games are going to have to be retested...

https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/pinw1l/devs_sneak_eos_into_singleplayer_games_heres_a/

EDIT: Actually, that might not be the most reliable link. I just tried Remnant again, which link says now requires Epic accounts, and that's absolutely not true. It still runs perfectly fine DRM-free (although you do need to be logged into Epic for the DLC to be recognized, to my knowledge).
Launching Sheltered also results in an EOS prompt but that can be denied, allowing to proceed with the game. That is despite the game literally having EOS in its executable and folder titles.
Do not take my word to say it's DRM-free though, as I hadn't renamed the Epic config folder or paid close attention to Credentials for the sake of purity of the experiment.
twifight: You are mixing some stuff up here pedrovay.

That reddit post claims that some game have retroactively integrated an Epic framework that CAN be used for extra services like achievements and cloud saves, etc.
This is NOT the same as DRM.

The reason that reddit post warns us about it is because that framework makes calls to Epic servers and they can use those calls to get telemetry and other user data, which is a privacy issue.

It is possible that, if a game (!) forces those calls and Epic requires your account to be active, that Epic wants you to have the client on, but that is not always the case. There are other ways to do that. I don't know which methods Epics used and don't care enough to find out.
The problem is that a game CAN require those framework calls in order to function at all, but that is entirely the game developer's choice, not Epic. In short, if this framework causes the game to be unplayable, then the game dev is lazy or screwing you over.
We've seen similar cases with steam, where certain games need steam because they hard coded their game with the steam savegame system. Other games also use that system if steam is on, but just default back to their own system if steam is off.

So that reddit post says nothing about the game client being mandatory or DRM being added. You'd have to test that on a game by game basis.
This makes much more sense, thank you for the explanation.
Don't bother with Nioh. It won't run without the client.
Grargar: Don't bother with Nioh. It won't run without the client.
Is it just me or is there always that bigger disappointment when it seems like a game will start up only for at the last second to hit the DRM halt? A lot of downloading to hit that disappointment.
Exceed20XX: Is it just me or is there always that bigger disappointment when it seems like a game will start up only for at the last second to hit the DRM halt? A lot of downloading to hit that disappointment.
Not gonna lie, the 70+ GBs download stung, but I sorta expected it after the Alien: Isolation shenanigans.