It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II remain cult classics not only among D&D fans, but cRPG gamers in general. With countless hours of gameplay, captivating stories, colorful characters, and many memorable locations they're one of the most intense and extensive role-playing experiences you can get while sitting in front of your PC. But to say that they didn't age at all might be a bit of a stretch. That's why some people would go a great distance modding and upgrading both those titles to combine them into one, seamless, visually updated game--an enhanced edition, if you will.

We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate. It's very nearly hassle-free and (especially with the sale going on) it won't cost you much at all. There's one catch, though: you need copies of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 in order to enhance your game. Let's see how! One of our users, GoJays2025, committed his time to write a comprehensive guide on the topic. We know not all of you dare to venture into our forums, so we thought that sharing this guide here, might be a good idea!

So, are you ready to enhance your GOG.com edition of Baldur's Gate saga and play both games as one, seamless adventure with the visually superior BG2 version of the engine and its updated mechanics, and with high-res graphics better suited for your modern wide-screen display? Here's how you do it, according to GoJays2025!

1. Fully install Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
2. Fully install Baldur's Gate II Complete.
3. Download Baldur's Gate II Fixpack (Download links are on the left side) and extract it to your Baldur's Gate II directory.
4. Run the newly extracted setup-bg2fixpack.exe (if not automatically started).
5. It is safe to select yes for all the optional fixes, but if you want to learn about each in detail, consult the readme file that comes with the fixpack.
6. Download BGT-WeiDU and extract it in your Baldur's Gate II directory.
7. Run the newly extracted Setup-BGT.exe and follow the instructions. You may need to run it in administrative mode in Windows Vista/7.
8. Enter Baldur's Gate I's directory when asked (if not already provided)
9. Wait for BGT-WeiDU to finish installing.
10. OPTIONAL: Download and install Baldur's Gate 1 Unfinished Business as well as BG 2 Unfinished Business. These mods restore things that were previously cut from the released product, so while you don't need them, and they do add new content, they're pretty nice to have, especially if this is not your first time.
11. OPTIONAL: Download and install any user-created material (banter packs, expansion mods, new NPCs, etc.)
12. Go to your Baldur's Gate II directory, then find and run the file Setup-BGTMusic.exe and select 'Hybrid Baldur’s Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal music'. This makes it possible to hear the original Baldur's Gate music when playing Baldur's Gate I.
13. OPTIONAL: (for more experienced users) Download Baldur's Gate II Tweak Pack (if this link doesn't work, please try the emergency mirror site) and apply it in the same way as the fixpack. Consult the readme file for details of each tweak - too many to list here. If you don't know what a tweak does even after consulting the readme, just skip it.
14. OPTIONAL: Download and install the Bigger Fonts for BGII mod if you plan to play in really high-res and don't want to strain your eyes reading tiny text.
15. Download the widescreen mod and apply it in the same manner as the fixpack. This makes it possible to play the game in high resolutions and in widescreen format.
16. Remove the Baldur's Gate I installation if you wish - it's done its job!

Now you should be able to play the game all the way from Baldur's Gate I to the end of Throne of Bhaal in one continuous game! Enjoy!

Note: If you're on Windows 7 you might want to install the games in a directory other than C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86) to avoid potential problems. C:Games should work.

The original forum thread, that also includes some other installation options, can be found here:
Baldur's Gate saga essential mods by GoJays2025
awesome topic! I have a question:
after all the steps I start the game from Launch Baldur's Gate 2 Complete? and then select baldur's gate1?
SerVezza: awesome topic! I have a question:
after all the steps I start the game from Launch Baldur's Gate 2 Complete? and then select baldur's gate1?
Yep, that's correct.
Hi! I want to know if there's anything I can do to make the cinematic bigger. Because I tested the game and I think everything is working nicely except for the cinematic and a couple of things that are in a very tiny size. Thanks in advance for any answers.

EDIT : I know I can install the other widescreen mod... Yes the cinematics are bigger and better but the overall... I much prefer the first version. Is there's any way I can get a compromise of I have to make a choice?
Post edited April 06, 2013 by Amosdragon
Amosdragon: Hi! I want to know if there's anything I can do to make the cinematic bigger. Because I tested the game and I think everything is working nicely except for the cinematic and a couple of things that are in a very tiny size. Thanks in advance for any answers.
The Widescreen mod may help you. Google it.
This modpack sounds fascinating! I"m really going to give this a try.
Does anyone know if this will work in a networked mode of some kind to share the experience with a group? I long ago bought the original game + Tales of the sword coast to do just that. But with all these digital distribution methods, I wonder if that function has been preserved.

I plan to check back here, Thanks in advance!
Was wondering if I have to install the widescreen mod to both bg1 and bg2 directories. Anyone know? I know the directions say to do it the same way as the fixpack, but I'm a bit paranoid so if anyone can give me an answer that'd be great!
Where do I find the forum for point 11 ?
SirEyeball: Where do I find the forum for point 11 ?
http://www.shsforums.net/

That one seems to have a bunch of stuff, same one that hosts the bigger fonts mod, not sure if that's the one you mean but as I said there seems to be a ton of stuff there.
SirEyeball: Where do I find the forum for point 11 ?
ShaolinsKunk: http://www.shsforums.net/

That one seems to have a bunch of stuff, same one that hosts the bigger fonts mod, not sure if that's the one you mean but as I said there seems to be a ton of stuff there.
thanks I did search for anything particular I just did not know if there was an community like for NWN?
After doing everything in the OP when I start if I want the whole game in one go do I play Throne of Baal or Baldurs Gate?

Anyone?
Post edited April 19, 2013 by SirEyeball
Seriously I would like to know where to begin before starting a game. At the start there are 2 options Baldurs Gate or Throne of Baal I have done everything the OP says to do so If I want to play a game starting from BG1 and ending when there is no more content for the game which do I choose? There must be someone out there who knows this?
SirEyeball: Seriously I would like to know where to begin before starting a game. At the start there are 2 options Baldurs Gate or Throne of Baal I have done everything the OP says to do so If I want to play a game starting from BG1 and ending when there is no more content for the game which do I choose? There must be someone out there who knows this?
Baldur's Gate 1, it'll automatically transition into 2 at the end of that game importing your characters and junk along the way.
SirEyeball: Seriously I would like to know where to begin before starting a game. At the start there are 2 options Baldurs Gate or Throne of Baal I have done everything the OP says to do so If I want to play a game starting from BG1 and ending when there is no more content for the game which do I choose? There must be someone out there who knows this?
ShaolinsKunk: Baldur's Gate 1, it'll automatically transition into 2 at the end of that game importing your characters and junk along the way.
so of the 2 options when starting a new game in baldursgate 2 I shall choose Baldurs Gate(there is no option to choose baldurs gate 1) instead of Throne of Baal ?
ShaolinsKunk: Baldur's Gate 1, it'll automatically transition into 2 at the end of that game importing your characters and junk along the way.
SirEyeball: so of the 2 options when starting a new game in baldursgate 2 I shall choose Baldurs Gate(there is no option to choose baldurs gate 1) instead of Throne of Baal ?
Yeah that'd be the one, I was a bit confused by it at first as well
SirEyeball: so of the 2 options when starting a new game in baldursgate 2 I shall choose Baldurs Gate(there is no option to choose baldurs gate 1) instead of Throne of Baal ?
Just make sure, when you're rolling your character, that you have all the options from the latter - kits, etc. Otherwise, you may want to roll a character in ToB, then import into BG1. Haven't gone through the process, though, so I'm not sure if you need to.