It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rjbuffchix: there are people here with a couple thousand games...and I would bet in nearly every case they don't use the start menu either, lol.
Can confirm. I don't use the start menu at all.
high rated
rjbuffchix: Maybe we could ask a user who owns more games if any other such examples exist...there are people here with a couple thousand games...and I would bet in nearly every case they don't use the start menu either, lol.
I don’t even use Windows, so of course I do not use its start menu.

I need to add parameters to the launch command of multiple GOG games, including:
- Arcanum
- Beyond Zork
- Botanicula
- Dungeon Keeper 2
- Earthworm Jim
- J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars
- Litil Divil
- Man O' War: Corsair
- No Pineapple Left Behind
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Privateer
- Rayman
- State of Mind
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall
- Tomb Raider 2
- Torin’s Passage
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

As far as I know, no content from any of these games is gated behind some kind of DRM.
low rated
rjbuffchix: Maybe we could ask a user who owns more games if any other such examples exist...there are people here with a couple thousand games...and I would bet in nearly every case they don't use the start menu either, lol.
vv221: I don’t even use Windows, so of course I do not use its start menu.

I need to add parameters to the launch command of multiple GOG games, including:
- Arcanum
- Beyond Zork
- Botanicula
- Dungeon Keeper 2
- Earthworm Jim
- J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars
- Litil Divil
- Man O' War: Corsair
- No Pineapple Left Behind
- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Privateer
- Rayman
- State of Mind
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall
- Tomb Raider 2
- Torin’s Passage
- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

As far as I know, no content from any of these games is gated behind some kind of DRM.
Thanks for providing a nice alternative perspective. I know any Linux user will cringe at me saying this, but I had not considered how this would shake out in a non-Windows context, so I appreciate you bringing it up!
As expected, GOG still didn't commit to returning to DRM-free in their recent update. It's not surprising, but it still is a shame!
high rated
Except for GOG limiting the game to be fully functional only on Galaxy, it sounds like most of that is imposed by the game makers by designing it to require online registration that they control.

As for the multiplayer stuff, somebody really needs to kick that in the bud. It's time for us to stop participating in allowing game makers to control our multiplayer enjoyment.

If they don't have a certain threshhold number of people using their multiplayer, then it won't make sense for them to keep spending the money for multiplayer hosting or buying a service.

Then maybe they'll start going back to designing private multiplayer functionality so we can play with family and friends without the need of an internet connection or endless accounts.
I have a question about No Man's Sky. It was brought to my attention, that some content might be locked again. Here is what I was told:

imo it's a little inaccurate that "all single player stuff is playable" - you can't earn Quicksilver because the once-a-day Quicksilver missions require connection to the server to populate the list and set up the mission. All other Nexus missions are playable offline (the ones which don't rewards QS). The other point is that inside the Anomaly space station certain NPCs exist which give you a daily freebie (give you a free freighter salvage locator beacon), or reward you for achieving milestones ... but again only if you connect to the server (in other words someone playing all this time offline won't get earned stuff even though they played the game as much as others who play online, or connect online occasionally). That is still pretty strong indications that DRM of some capacity is indeed still on-going (IF the newest version didn't fix this - you need to find someone playing 100% offline the newest version if you want to confirm the absolute current status).

It's probably a point you've already seen argued, but the daily bonus or rewards from gameplay from two Anomaly NPCs is denying players things for one reason: server verification. And that's it. The game had already recorded the fact you did the work, but the game only gives the reward after the server verifies/records things. Not DRM "lock you out of playing if not online" but rather DRM "lock you out of single-player rewards if not online". This should be able to be patched out as easily as bypassing the server-auth part of the code for "offline players"
Does anyone know whether this restriction is still in the current version of the game? Or are the Anomaly NPCs available offline and can one earn Quicksilver offline? I need some input from offline-players of the current version to decide whether NMS should go back on the list or not.
Lifthrasil: Does anyone know whether this restriction is still in the current version of the game? Or are the Anomaly NPCs available offline and can one earn Quicksilver offline? I need some input from offline-players of the current version to decide whether NMS should go back on the list or not.
While I don't have or play this, Quicksilver was the first one played that was supposedly fixed that they added offline ability to acquire. I haven't any clues about the other.
Lifthrasil: snip
As far as I know, the offline method of earning quicksilver was through a random space encounter. It's quite rare, I've only seen it a handful of times, but unless they completely removed it form the spawn pool, you should still be able to earn some quicksilver from it.
Thank you for your replies. I hope that the offline method of earning Quicksilver is still there.
high rated
Lifthrasil: I have a question about No Man's Sky. It was brought to my attention, that some content might be locked again. Here is what I was told:

imo it's a little inaccurate that "all single player stuff is playable" - you can't earn Quicksilver because the once-a-day Quicksilver missions require connection to the server to populate the list and set up the mission. All other Nexus missions are playable offline (the ones which don't rewards QS). The other point is that inside the Anomaly space station certain NPCs exist which give you a daily freebie (give you a free freighter salvage locator beacon), or reward you for achieving milestones ... but again only if you connect to the server (in other words someone playing all this time offline won't get earned stuff even though they played the game as much as others who play online, or connect online occasionally). That is still pretty strong indications that DRM of some capacity is indeed still on-going (IF the newest version didn't fix this - you need to find someone playing 100% offline the newest version if you want to confirm the absolute current status).

It's probably a point you've already seen argued, but the daily bonus or rewards from gameplay from two Anomaly NPCs is denying players things for one reason: server verification. And that's it. The game had already recorded the fact you did the work, but the game only gives the reward after the server verifies/records things. Not DRM "lock you out of playing if not online" but rather DRM "lock you out of single-player rewards if not online". This should be able to be patched out as easily as bypassing the server-auth part of the code for "offline players"
Lifthrasil: Does anyone know whether this restriction is still in the current version of the game? Or are the Anomaly NPCs available offline and can one earn Quicksilver offline? I need some input from offline-players of the current version to decide whether NMS should go back on the list or not.
I can confirm that as of No Man's Sky version 3.84_Sentinel_84011 (current version as of this post), Ares and Helios in the Anomaly have nothing to offer to the player in terms of discovery rewards or free emergency broadcast receivers. I'm playing on a save that has never connected to No Man's Sky multiplayer. As far as I know, these Anomaly NPCs have never been fixed so that they'll be functional for those who only play No Man's Sky offline.

The Nexus also offers no quicksilver missions.
Post edited March 14, 2022 by IxianMace
Lifthrasil: I have a question about No Man's Sky. It was brought to my attention, that some content might be locked again. Here is what I was told:

Does anyone know whether this restriction is still in the current version of the game? Or are the Anomaly NPCs available offline and can one earn Quicksilver offline? I need some input from offline-players of the current version to decide whether NMS should go back on the list or not.
IxianMace: I can confirm that as of No Man's Sky version 3.84_Sentinel_84011 (current version as of this post), Ares and Helios in the Anomaly have nothing to offer to the player in terms of discovery rewards or free emergency broadcast receivers. I'm playing on a save that has never connected to No Man's Sky multiplayer. As far as I know, these Anomaly NPCs have never been fixed so that they'll be functional for those who only play No Man's Sky offline.

The Nexus also offers no quicksilver missions.
Thank you for the update. Back on the list it goes. Everyone can then decide for themselves how bad this missing content is for them. But it is missing single player content.
Here you go, another month, another release highly confomative to their values:
https://www.gog.com/game/necroland_undead_corps

Online “battle royal”. Sure you can watch the credits or something offline. Next up is an announcement of partnering with denuvo to provide streamed content!
nightcraw1er.488: Here you go, another month, another release highly confomative to their values:

Online “battle royal”. Sure you can watch the credits or something offline. Next up is an announcement of partnering with denuvo to provide streamed content!
Uhm, the game has an single player component, offline mode and is functional without a client or Internet.

I don't like online multiplayer too, but that does not mean there is something wrong with the game or GOGs DRM policy.
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Here you go, another month, another release highly confomative to their values:

Ueber: Uhm, the game has an single player component, offline mode and is functional without a client or Internet.

I don't like online multiplayer too, but that does not mean there is something wrong with the game or GOGs DRM policy.
So at what point does it become a problem? If you watch the credits offline, perhaps wander an empty landscape on an MMO that would be fine as well? Amazing how many people are defending this. It is a game designed from the ground up to be online only online, play with other people on the internet.

Take the example above, No Man’s Sky. That is 99% offline, designed for offline, and has some resource which is via an online shop, and that’s a problem, but a game which is 99% online, designed for online is not?
Post edited March 15, 2022 by nightcraw1er.488
nightcraw1er.488: Take the example above, No Man’s Sky. That is 99% offline, designed for offline, and has some resource which is via an online shop, and that’s a problem, but a game which is 99% online, designed for online is not?
To me, it is a problem. Just like Gwent, I won't touch this game with a 10-foot pole. However, DRM on a multiplayer title is not the topic of this thread and is, unfortunately, standard on GOG. They like to pretend that DRM is 'necessary' for online multiplayer. Which is, of course, BS.

But still, if the offline bot mode of this game works without any restrictions, i.e. without any online requirement or client, then strictly speaking the single-player part of the game is DRM-free. It may be a very small single player part and one could argue, that the game doesn't deserve the single-player tag. But even then it would be a DRM-ed multiplayer game. Not a DRM-ed single-player game. So I'll add it to the DRM-ed multiplayer games list in the secon post. (which is very incomplete, since it really should include all games not on the 'DRM-free multiplayer' list)