It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lifthrasil: And Nex Machina
Gersen: Again all six worlds of Nex Machina and their levels are available offline, to unlock the last world you need to finish the fifth first ones at a higher difficulty level, it has nothing to do with uploading your high score online.
Oh, thanks for the update!

Can someone confirm that Nex Machina is DRM-free again and since when (what version number) that is the case?
mqstout: I got this response from misguided GOG support ("Ponczo") regarding this thread. GOG's apparently content with any cosmetic DRM. The fuckers.

All games available on GOG have offline installers available. We stay in touch with the partners and do our best to keep them up to date. However, video games continue to evolve with many titles offering online modes, cosmetics, and incentives for completing certain actions by players. This might be subjective, but as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose.
mqstout:
I'm speechless. What's next? Paid updates to keep up with games on Steam?
mqstout: I got this response from misguided GOG support ("Ponczo") regarding this thread. GOG's apparently content with any cosmetic DRM. The fuckers.

I think this is too important a statement to be left buried in this thread. You might want to create a dedicated thread to inform others of it. Perhaps also add the text of your original ticket. Assuming you're willing to suffer the ratings hit.
mrkgnao:
I added the quote to the opening post. It's important to inform people about GOG's official stance on this matter.
mrkgnao: I added the quote to the opening post. It's important to inform people about GOG's official stance on this matter.
Lifthrasil:
Good.

However, I still think it's important for it to have a thread of its own, as there are enough people who wouldn't bother entering this thread again, let alone reread the opening post.
Lifthrasil: Good.

However, I still think it's important for it to have a thread of its own, as there are enough people who wouldn't bother entering this thread again, let alone reread the opening post.
mrkgnao:
I'll wait a bit whether mqstout wants to open a thread about this with more details of the conversation. That would be the best way to make this public.

KasperHviid: Sorry, spelling error. Yup, I meant Nex Machina
malikhis: "Nex Machina " is the only game here that actually requires galaxy, if you pirated any of the other games (in gog format and uncracked) you could still access the online-only content, correct? So online-only content doesn't actually care if you have the "digital rights" to that content... in most cases I assume this is to convince the player to add a firewall exception for the game and allow them to upload anything they want to their servers (snooping on players) which is rather unacceptable.
You two were the ones who originally reported the DRM in Nex Machina. Now there has been a report that all levels are playable (again?). Could you please check whether that is true and if Nex Machina is DRM-free after all? I don't want to leave a game undeservedly on the list.
Post edited March 26, 2021 by Lifthrasil
low rated
Lifthrasil: "developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose." is a very, very long way from 'fighting the good fight against DRM', which GOG pretended to do in the past. But at least Ponczo gave you an accidentally honest insight into the current guidelines of GOG. The reply fits GOG's recent behavior and inaction concerning DRM. A long time ago they used to enforce the removal of DRM from all games. Now the principle is to let devs and publishers do whatever they like, as long as the DRM doesn't affect the base game in 'a major way(TM)'. Whatever that may mean.
Time4Tea: I totally agree. This is an extremely weak response and not anywhere close to the level of conviction I would like to see from a store that advertises itself as 'DRM-free'. Basically, giving a free pass to developers to do whatever the hell they want, because heaven forbid that GOG should have to lift a finger to enforce their supposed principles.

The future for GOG doesn't look good.
Can we start telling devs that we're interested in DRM-free, as opposed to GOG?

EDIT: To be clear, i don't believe this is for developer freedom, either. I believe this is more about allowing, because CP2077 does it.
Post edited March 26, 2021 by kohlrak
kohlrak: Can we start telling devs that we're interested in DRM-free, as opposed to GOG?
The problem I have with that is that it basically amounts to us doing GOG's job for them. It's their store and they should be the ones to enforce their own supposed standards. To refer to the often-used analogy of customers of a vegan restaurant: it's like saying the customers should go and petition the restaurant's suppliers themselves not to supply it with animal products.

No. Why should I? If GOG won't lift a finger to enforce standards on their own store, then I will boycott and buy my games from somewhere else.
Time4Tea: I totally agree. This is an extremely weak response and not anywhere close to the level of conviction I would like to see from a store that advertises itself as 'DRM-free'. Basically, giving a free pass to developers to do whatever the hell they want, because heaven forbid that GOG should have to lift a finger to enforce their supposed principles.

The future for GOG doesn't look good.
kohlrak: Can we start telling devs that we're interested in DRM-free, as opposed to GOG?

EDIT: To be clear, i don't believe this is for developer freedom, either. I believe this is more about allowing, because CP2077 does it.
Yes, I think tgis is something we (as players) must communicate to devs and publishers, with one message for each user we can change some things, I understand what ponczo said, I know some games offer you rewards if you create an account in their servers (that's means that are servers outside GOG control) and other only let you personalize your profile if you create an account in (again) their private servers (cof cof Paradox games cof cof), so this make it really difficult to avoid, I don't want a game being removed or rejected in GOG because the developers offer you a red banner for you profile or a blue skin for your weapon if you add your account or make something or connect a 2AM a wensday, as long as the content of the game is accessible without problems is okey for me... Sometimes we are too demanding with GOG and we don't see the real problems the developers and publishers that perpetuate this kind of activities we muat communicate our problems to them and don't complain in a Forum that they don't even use, neither blame GOG because they show me that the staff really try to resolve all this problems and communicate with the devs to solve it, but if we choose this store we have to help them too, GOG still is the best DRM Free store out there, are we as users of this store we have to help to perpetuate it that way, maybe we are not as many as Steam user but we can make some noise!!! Less point with the finger and more messages in the publishars mails!!!

All games available on GOG have offline installers available. We stay in touch with the partners and do our best to keep them up to date. However, video games continue to evolve with many titles offering online modes, cosmetics, and incentives for completing certain actions by players. This might be subjective, but as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose.
mqstout:
I think this is bad, but how bad really depends on what they mean here. If they mean promo items and cheat items many games have now, I ignore those anyway as they break game balance. Not saying they should be online only, that's a bad road for GOG to go down, but I'm not crying in my beer over it. If this policy could extend to DLC expansions and whatnot though, then my beer would be filling up with tears.

For example The Outer Worlds had no DRM on Epic until the expansions came out, and now it requires the client to be running to load. If that ever happened on GOG, well... the end times, etc. etc.
low rated

KetobaK: Yes, I think tgis is something we (as players) must communicate to devs and publishers, with one message for each user we can change some things, I understand what ponczo said, I know some games offer you rewards if you create an account in their servers (that's means that are servers outside GOG control) and other only let you personalize your profile if you create an account in (again) their private servers (cof cof Paradox games cof cof), so this make it really difficult to avoid, I don't want a game being removed or rejected in GOG because the developers offer you a red banner for you profile or a blue skin for your weapon if you add your account or make something or connect a 2AM a wensday, as long as the content of the game is accessible without problems is okey for me... Sometimes we are too demanding with GOG and we don't see the real problems the developers and publishers that perpetuate this kind of activities we muat communicate our problems to them and don't complain in a Forum that they don't even use, neither blame GOG because they show me that the staff really try to resolve all this problems and communicate with the devs to solve it, but if we choose this store we have to help them too, GOG still is the best DRM Free store out there, are we as users of this store we have to help to perpetuate it that way, maybe we are not as many as Steam user but we can make some noise!!! Less point with the finger and more messages in the publishars mails!!!
Honestly, i think the big picture is that they're going to do this crap, regardless. Fortunately, this content usually can be "hacked into" a save, whichout much effort, for people that genuinely want it. The thing is, we need to come to realize that GOG is not the bastion of DRM-free that we like to think it is. GOG is taking advantage of it's status to milk more money than necessary out of developers. I could be wrong, but i believe steam's listing fee is a 1 time fee, unlike GOG's. There's a reason why games DRM-free on steam (and also other platforms) don't manage to make it here or end up delisted here. GOG is the reason DRM-free costs more than steam release, and it doesn't seem to require considering the cost of piracy.
Time4Tea: The problem I have with that is that it basically amounts to us doing GOG's job for them.
Well, concerning the forum that is already status quo. GOG doesn't fix the forum. So barefoot and adalia and others are doing GOG's job and fix the forum with their scripts as good as possible.
Post edited March 26, 2021 by Lifthrasil
high rated
StingingVelvet: I think this is bad, but how bad really depends on what they mean here.
It's vague enough to mean whatever suits them at any future point, and that's not by accident.
high rated
We are in contact with the developers of Northgard. The version has been rolled back and the correct fix will be available next week at the latest =)
high rated
SmollestLight: We are in contact with the developers of Northgard. The version has been rolled back and the correct fix will be available next week at the latest =)
And what about Divinity Original Sin - Enhanced Edition?

Will you ever fix the skill book bug?

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_that_might_not_run_without_galaxy/page1

https://steamcommunity.com/app/373420/discussions/0/1628539187764673483/#c1628539187773115871

I don't mean to be rude, but my patience is running out.
Lifthrasil: You two were the ones who originally reported the DRM in Nex Machina. Now there has been a report that all levels are playable (again?). Could you please check whether that is true and if Nex Machina is DRM-free after all? I don't want to leave a game undeservedly on the list.
Returned to Nex Machine, and the level unlocks works without Galaxy! It's 60% off, by the way, and I can highly recommend it.