It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Leroux: According to which definition? Definitely not according to what I wrote, if you read carefully.
Orkhepaj: the guy's you commented
Which guy? Dtgreene just said an RPG does NOT need to have a progression system. According to her it seems to be defined by the menu-style turn-based combat that you see in *some* of the early RPGs and JRPGs.
Orkhepaj: the guy's you commented
Leroux: Which guy? Dtgreene just said an RPG does NOT need to have a progression system. According to her it seems to be defined by the menu-style turn-based combat that you see in *some* of the early RPGs and JRPGs.
then i read one of his older definition
Leroux: Which guy? Dtgreene just said an RPG does NOT need to have a progression system. According to her it seems to be defined by the menu-style turn-based combat that you see in *some* of the early RPGs and JRPGs.
Orkhepaj: then i read one of *his* older definition
her, the user above you said DTgreene's gender, which you might have missed. They are a female. :)
Orkhepaj: then i read one of *his* older definition
Green_Hilltop: her, the user above you said DTgreene's gender, which you might have missed. They are a female. :)
i belief that statement could be up for debate since we are in a online environment
Green_Hilltop: her, the user above you said DTgreene's gender, which you might have missed. They are a female. :)
Radiance1979: i belief that statement could be up for debate since we are in a online environment
DTgreene stated they are a female, so it's rude to say it's up for debate. Unless you missed it and didn't see others call her she?
I don't post alot on the forums, but saw this during my usual browsing for updates and thought, what the heck let me add my 2 cents.

First, let me say I really do enjoy reading posts that offer different thoughts (I prefer that over saying opinions) on games and gaming. As long as it's kept civil, I think it's a great way to have a healthy debate.

I mostly think of the term "RPG" as a means to browse games here on GOG, lol I know crazy right.

My thoughts are that any game that has a story (hopefully a good one), a decent character development system, the ability to make choices that can affect the game world (at the very least the parts the main character is involved in), a sense of adventure where the rewards hopefully match the risks and for me, I'm comfortable calling it an computer "RPG" game or "CRPG" I suppose, eh DTgreene ;).

There are I'm sure many sub-genre of the term RPG, but if I play a game that I'm having a blast playing and as long as it stays that was to the end, I'm OK with pretending it an RPG game.

Why?

Because life is short and I'm well past my prime lol. With a huge backlog of games, I simply don't have the time to worry about nuances of what games fit what genre. I'll be lucky if I get through 1/2 of my backlog before I croak off to the next world. =P (and if there is a divine entity out there, please reincarnate me into a fantasy world with magic, Thanks!)

But you guys and gals are awesome for keeping the debate going and if time permits, I look forward to reading some more of it.

Happy gaming everyone and another round of thanks to GOG for easing my concerns by providing DRM-Free games. =)
gog2002x: My thoughts are that any game that has a story (hopefully a good one), a decent character development system, the ability to make choices that can affect the game world (at the very least the parts the main character is involved in), a sense of adventure where the rewards hopefully match the risks and for me, I'm comfortable calling it an computer "RPG" game or "CRPG" I suppose, eh DTgreene ;).
What would you call a game that has all the elements you describe except for a story?

(Also, please don't capitalize the first two letters of my username like that.)

gog2002x: if I play a game that I'm having a blast playing and as long as it stays that was to the end, I'm OK with pretending it an RPG game.

Why?

Because life is short and I'm well past my prime lol. With a huge backlog of games, I simply don't have the time to worry about nuances of what games fit what genre. I'll be lucky if I get through 1/2 of my backlog before I croak off to the next world. =P (and if there is a divine entity out there, please reincarnate me into a fantasy world with magic, Thanks!)
I disagree on this notion.

A game can be a good game without having to be an RPG. (See, for example, Celeste.)

A game can be an RPG without having to be a good game. (See, for example, Hoshi Wo Miru Hito. Note that I recommend watching the AGDQ speedrun of the game rather than playing itself, unless you're looking for a game that's kuso-level bad to play. Also, see the NES version of Ultima 5.)
Post edited September 28, 2020 by dtgreene
gog2002x: My thoughts are that any game that has a story (hopefully a good one), a decent character development system, the ability to make choices that can affect the game world (at the very least the parts the main character is involved in), a sense of adventure where the rewards hopefully match the risks and for me, I'm comfortable calling it an computer "RPG" game or "CRPG" I suppose, eh DTgreene ;).
dtgreene: What would you call a game that has all the elements you describe except for a story?

My apologies dtgreene, I was looking at the poster above me when I added your name, so it was purely unintentional.
gog2002x:
dtgreene: What would you call a game that has all the elements you describe except for a story?

gog2002x:
dtgreene: I disagree on this notion.

A game can be a good game without having to be an RPG. (See, for example, Celeste.)

A game can be an RPG without having to be a good game. (See, for example, Hoshi Wo Miru Hito. Note that I recommend watching the AGDQ speedrun of the game rather than playing itself, unless you're looking for a game that's kuso-level bad to play. Also, see the NES version of Ultima 5.)
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, my earlier posts were simply my own thoughts on the matter. Maybe a bit simple, but I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to my enjoyments.

I'll give you a better reply when I have more time to think on it. Until next time. =)
Post edited September 28, 2020 by gog2002x
gog2002x: I'll give you a better reply when I have more time to think on it. Until next time. =)
By the way, the AGDQ speedrun of Hoshi Wo Miru Hito can be found at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dDL-UEId4

There also appears to be another marathon speedrun, from RPG Limit Break, at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y23gHrGsfTU

If you're up for Ultima 5 NES, a (non-marathon) speedrun can be found at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmrjx19p2c

(It's OK if you can't get through the entire video; the game really is that bad.)
Diablo created it's own sub genre. The hack & slash.
I think they still are. Hopefully CDPR opens more RPG studios and put RPG where it should be. Every company seems to call their game RPG, hell., one could say even Pac Man is RPG, you're this yellow ball, what eat stuff and running away from ghosts.
Post edited September 28, 2020 by Cyberway
Radiance1979: i belief that statement could be up for debate since we are in a online environment
Green_Hilltop: DTgreene stated they are a female, so it's rude to say it's up for debate. Unless you missed it and didn't see others call her she?
Nah, i did not miss that fact, or missed she uses the she/her quotation, i'm just foul, forgive me
gog2002x: I'll give you a better reply when I have more time to think on it. Until next time. =)
dtgreene: By the way, the AGDQ speedrun of Hoshi Wo Miru Hito can be found at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dDL-UEId4

There also appears to be another marathon speedrun, from RPG Limit Break, at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y23gHrGsfTU

If you're up for Ultima 5 NES, a (non-marathon) speedrun can be found at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmrjx19p2c

(It's OK if you can't get through the entire video; the game really is that bad.)
Thank you for the links, I'll check them out later today.