It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Take a moment to travel back in time through the history of video gaming. Today 6 engaging classics from Funbox Media arrive on GOG.COM:

Desert Thunder (-50%)
Gun Metal (-50%)
Street Racing Syndicate (-50%)
Terra Lander (-50%)
Terra Lander II - Rockslide Rescue (-50%)
Terra Bomber (-50%)

Play these unforgettable titles before their discounts expire on 6th October 2021, 1 PM UTC.
Mr.Mumbles: Use a frame limiter? AMD's and NVIDIA's own control software should have a built-in option for that.
Terra Lander causes an overheat on the CPU, not the GPU. Do you know of a CPU program that can limit processor usage?

But there's really no reason for a game to not have a frame limiter. I hope this bug will be fixed.
GOG.com: Gun Metal (-50%)
I was expecting Gunmetal. This one looks fun, too, though. And it's the right price!
IronArcturus: Has anyone else played that Terra Lander game? It looks like the game does not have a working frame limiter. When I played the game, it caused the CPU to overheat. Is there a way to fix this?
Hello IronArcturus!

Thank you for your feedback, mentioning this issue!
Too bad. A missing frame limiter is an absolute 'no go' for me.

I do like the idea of a "Lunar Lander"/"Thrust"/"Gravitar" homage, though. And even am pleased by the stylized retro-presentation of it and its sequel. Using the tractor beam for carrying rocks and so on brings back memories of "Solar Jetman - Hunt for the Golden Warpship".

Have you tested the second one, "Terra Lander II - Rockslide Rescue", as well?
I am a little bit more interested in the sequel because the landing and pick-up of people also reminds me of one of my favorite C64 game: "Space Taxi".

Does "Terra Lander II - Rockslide Rescue" have the same 'lack of a frame limiter' problem?

The only way of reducing CPU usage I know of, is to configure the maximum permitted CPU usage in an energy plan on notebooks and laptops. I have no idea on how to do something similar with a modern desktop computer.

Kind regards,
foxgog
Post edited September 30, 2021 by foxgog
foxgog:
Hi foxgog,

I don't have Terra Lander 2, so I don't know if it has the same frame limiter bug. Has anyone else played the sequel?

I hope the devs will fix the bug in Terra Lander 1.
OMG, great releases! Thank you publisher (and GOG)!

(●'◡'●)
Terra Bomber! I remind a game I played as a kid on an Atari or Amiga that was similar but don't remember the name of it... I think I'll get me Terra Bomber and revive good old arcade times.
I played Desert Thunder on my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. I've heard it's broken on Steam. Too bad it did not work with my old Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick. The other games weren't as interesting.
apparition: I was expecting Gunmetal. This one looks fun, too, though. And it's the right price!
Highfive.

Also on my "obscure game with the same name" hitlist is the obscure Voxar's Tumblebugs. Not the cutesy puzzle whatever, the obscure Combat clone.
foxgog:
IronArcturus: Hi foxgog,

I don't have Terra Lander 2, so I don't know if it has the same frame limiter bug. Has anyone else played the sequel?

I hope the devs will fix the bug in Terra Lander 1.
Hello IronArcturus!

Thank you for your response!
Today, I picked up the sequel, "Terra Lander II: Rockslide Rescue".

Later tonight, I am going to try it out, and will give you here my feedback, especially regarding whether or not it has the same lack of a frame limiter as the first one.

Kind regards,
foxgog
IronArcturus: (...)
(...)
Hello IronArcturus!

Meanwhile, I installed and tested a bit the sequel, "Terra Lander II: Rockslide Rescue".

The game features two options with respect to the frames per second and a frame limit, which can be found in the main menu:

>> System Settings >> General Timing and Performance

Option 1: >> automatic frames per second: yes/no
Option 2: >> Max frames per second clamp: 0...60 (in steps of 5, 0=yes on auto above)

I experimented with those for a while. On auto the framerate is all over the place depending on the amount of objects and particle effects visible on screen. Using a cap of e.g. 30 or 60 frames in the second option lead to a much more smoother framerate overall and less heat development on my notebook.
(But I have to mention, that I am using one of two power profiles limiting the CPU usage either to 70% or to 80% of its maximum.)

=> Does the first "Terra Lander" provide the same options in the setting, but they do not take effect (because you wrote: 'game does not have a working frame limiter')?
=> Or are comparable settings missing in the first place?

I have not tested to play the sequel in window mode, yet.

=> Does anyone know, if the frames of an application or game could be limited externally (e.g. by a operating system setting), when it is running only in a window instead of fullscreen?
=> Does it make a difference, whether or not the application or game is running in fullscreen or windowed?

(Playing older games utilizing the dgVoodoo2 wrapper I am having at least significant performance differences running, for instance "Pirates of the Caribbean" (2003) or "Search & Rescue 4: Coastal Heroes" (2003), in fullscreen or a window of equal resolution.)

Kind regards,
foxgog
So what about adding the original cover for SRS: Street Racing Syndicate?

Zoom Platform has no problem with it, nor does Steam (although it's cropped there):
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/292410/capsule_616x353.jpg

Are you afraid that soyjaks will whine because of its contents? They don't buy (or play) games anyway, so their opinions don't count. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the original cover of the game.

But if you really afraid of them (pffft), then at least get a better hi-res screenshot or official promo art / wallpaper. The current "cover" is a pure shame.