It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Vitek: From what I remember they claimed it was leftover that wasn't supposed to stay in the game nad was left there by mistake but it could very well be an excuse.
Or pehaps they were simply naive and didn't think the government isn't as much tyrannical and won't try to destroy them for very minor silliness.
IMO it's fortunate the devs were Taiwanese. If they were Chinese and pulled that shit they'd probably be gulag'ed or disappeared.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by BluesyMoo
BluesyMoo: I believe the story was the "easter eggs" were supposed to be an internal thing, but it somehow slipped through to release version. That does sound pretty careless to me. The hype in China was pretty high before the ban, so they kinda shot themselves.
If that was the case, I presume they released an update to the game ASAP which "fixes" that easter egg?
Which means the GOG version would have been "censored" as well?

It is always tricky when you go political with games... Just wondering if some Chinese developer published a game where some easter egg suggested Taiwan is part of mainland China and uygurs are evil, I wonder how the world would react? Should GOG still release such a game?

Having said that, I am all for Taiwan and I hope US will keep protecting it (as well as Israel). Biden probably doesn't care though.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by timppu
low rated
Serves you right... The 45th, against all odds, stood up for West and its hard earned freedoms, defended your rights alone, against ongoing dangers like china. What did you all do? Unite against him, fight him relentlessly, besmear and sabotage him at each and every step, all the way to retiring him from the office early, through a fraudulent, set-up defeat. Enjoy now your wheelchair jo and middle east occupying your land, your markets, your everything; you felled the west, now you reap consequences.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Steamisbetter
timppu: Just wondering if some Chinese developer published a game where some easter egg suggested Taiwan is part of mainland China
I don't think that there is a single Chinese game that doesn't suggest that Taiwan is part of China.
Lifthrasil: How can the discussion be about the game, when your refusal to host it here isn't? Your decision not to host it here is not about the quality of the game, but is pure politics.
Who would have been the publisher of the game?

Other messages suggested that the (worldwide?) publisher was a Chinese company whose license was revoked by the Chinese authorities. So, is the game now without a publisher? GOG can't release the game without a publisher.

Also, why was the game pulled from Steam? I read something about "technical reasons", which just sounds tooooooooo convenient... Wouldn't the same "technical reasons" affect the GOG version as well?

There seems to be so many rumors and less hard facts about this case.
timppu: Who would have been the publisher of the game?

Other messages suggested that the (worldwide?) publisher was a Chinese company whose license was revoked by the Chinese authorities. So, is the game now without a publisher? GOG can't release the game without a publisher.
Games can be listed on GOG without publisher.

timppu: Also, why was the game pulled from Steam? I read something about "technical reasons", which just sounds tooooooooo convenient... Wouldn't the same "technical reasons" affect the GOG version as well?

There seems to be so many rumors and less hard facts about this case.
It was pulled from Steam by publisher that wanted to save their ass in China.
timppu: Just wondering if some Chinese developer published a game where some easter egg suggested Taiwan is part of mainland China
Aver: I don't think that there is a single Chinese game that doesn't suggest that Taiwan is part of China.
I am unaware of such games, so can you point me to such games in e.g. GOG (or Steam)? Bonus points if the game has a part where the player invades Taiwan to "liberate" it from the western-minded government.
high rated
SmollestLight: We welcome civil discussions as long as they are that, civil. Refrain from using vulgar language and keep the discussion about the game.
TerriblePurpose: Can you clarify a bit on the 'vulgar language'? Does that include references to GOG's glorious leader as Winnie-the-Pooh? Just wondering, as I wouldn't want to get banned again for potentially hurting someone's feelings.
Interesting how we can't use vulgar language but they took the time to spread FCKDRM all over the place like a bunch of edge lord 15 yr olds. They still do it on their stupid Twitch page. Hypocritical much?
high rated
Pixel-Precision: I hate that GOG still hasn't made a statement, go on make it worse for yourselves.

The longer they wait the more their reputation falls.
They have already said they won't be making a statement, which tells you everything you need to know about GOG values and morals (or lack, thereof).

Best decision I made this year boycotting GOG from now on.

This will also be my last post here. I'll be spending the next couple of weeks downloading the games I own then closing my account.

Wouldn't spend a cent with this morally bankrupt company if they were the last one on the planet selling games. And I will be the first to cheer when they go bankrupt as every company that begins its downward path like this ultimately does.
Aver: Games can be listed on GOG without publisher.
Can you name some GOG games that don't have any publisher? I just want to see what it says in their game cards in the "Publisher" part, is it really empty. (The "Company X/Y" part.)

Note: If the game is self-published, it still has a publisher. Sometimes it is the developer team itself.

Aver: It was pulled from Steam by publisher that wanted to save their ass in China.
Why would they have that problem only on Steam, and not GOG?

Also is that official information, or your guess? Because elsewhere I read it was pulled from Steam for "technical reasons", but naturally I am also suspecting that was a mere excuse.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by timppu
high rated
Just heard the news about Devotion not coming to GoG after all. I‘m assuming that‘s because of the Xi Jinping Winnie-the-Pooh reference.
If that’s the case, I‘m incredibly disappointed in GoG and CD-Projekt Red for being yet another western company beding their knee to CCP. I thought Poles had a lot more courage than that!
Bloodygoodgames: They have already said they won't be making a statement, which tells you everything you need to know about GOG values and morals (or lack, thereof).

This will also be my last post here. I'll be spending the next couple of weeks downloading the games I own then closing my account.

Wouldn't spend a cent with this morally bankrupt company if they were the last one on the planet selling games. And I will be the first to cheer when they go bankrupt as every company that begins its downward path like this ultimately does.
Will you be boycotting other digital stores as well which are not selling Devotion, like Steam and Epic?

I don't recall seeing any statement from Valve either, so in that sense the only thing GOG differed was that they made any statement at all (which they have now apparently deleted).
Pixel-Precision: I hate that GOG still hasn't made a statement, go on make it worse for yourselves.

The longer they wait the more their reputation falls.
Bloodygoodgames: They have already said they won't be making a statement, which tells you everything you need to know about GOG values and morals (or lack, thereof).

No offense but you probably support company's that do busy or sell out to China. You just probably don't know it.
timppu: Can you name some GOG games that don't have any publisher? I just want to see what it says in their game cards in the "Publisher" part, is it really empty. (The "Company X/Y" part.)

Note: If the game is self-published, it still has a publisher. Sometimes it is the developer team itself.
That's what I meant, you can self publish game. I don't know what is exactly you are trying to say here.

timppu: Also is that official information, or your guess? Because elsewhere I read it was pulled from Steam for "technical reasons", but naturally I am also suspecting that was a mere excuse.
Publisher said indeed that there are technical issues, but it was after outrage in China. Then publisher lost publishing rights in China. Store page on GOG didn't have Winking Entertainment listed as publisher, so I believe it was self published. I only assume that Winking Entertainment still holds exclusive rights to release it on Steam, but they won't do anything with it and we need for their deal with the developer to expire to see it again.

Steam officially said that they don't block Devotion from being released there.
Bloodygoodgames: Wouldn't spend a cent with this morally bankrupt company....
Morally corrupt is the bread and butter of capitalism. There are no morals when there's $$$ to be made. Greed eats brain and soul. If you want to avoid "morally corrupt" companies, better become self-sufficient.

People are disappointed, because they thought GOG would be somehow better. But there's CD Projekt SA looming above them, publicly traded and they are committed to shareholder value, and nothing else.

It's so funny that people whine here about the oh so evil "communist" China, when the real reason behind this decision is the simple capitalist logic of greed.