It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
dtgreene: Honest question here:

There've been some mentions of Winnie the Pooh (and even one of "Xinnie the Pooh"), and even a picture of Winnie the Pooh, in this thread. Could someone please explain, in as neutral fact-based terms as possible, what the relevance is?
Xi Jinping has been said to look a lot like Winnie the Pooh, and he got so offended by it that he ree'd and had the character banned in China.
high rated

There've been some mentions of Winnie the Pooh (and even one of "Xinnie the Pooh"), and even a picture of Winnie the Pooh, in this thread. Could someone please explain, in as neutral fact-based terms as possible, what the relevance is?
The leader of China, Xi Jinping, banned the character Winnie the Pooh in China because there was a meme about him resembling the character. People now use images of Winnie the Pooh as a way to mock and defy him and the government of China.
high rated
Leroux: That's the thing, it was pulled from Steam two years ago, likely due to the same kind of protests and threats. So if they didn't have the balls for the release they should have stayed away from it instead of giving the devs false hope just to betray them at the very last moment.

Who knows maybe some high ups or shareholders weren't aware before and now told them they can't do it, in order to prevent loss of sales for Cyberpunk? I fear H55ADM is not wrong.
NuffCatnip: Yeah, they must've known that there'll be some kind of backlash from certain shar... *coughs* gamers, but nope, 'let's make that announcement, what could go wrong.' :/
Oh well, it's not like this is something new...

Sadly it's all about the almighty dollar, or in this case zloty.
Well, they can shove that zloty up their back sloty.
high rated

Edit: When answering this question, please make your post a reply to mine, so that I can jump straight to it, because this thread is moving *really* fast.
They banned Winnie the Pooh in China, because people were joking that Xi Jinping looks like Winnie the Pooh. Since then it became a meme.
high rated

Edit: When answering this question, please make your post a reply to mine, so that I can jump straight to it, because this thread is moving *really* fast.
A running joke in China is that one of the leaders looks like Winnie the Pooh, and consequently Winnie the Pooh was banned in China.
high rated
Yea, I'm done with this company. I should've listened to SHAZAM.
Post edited December 16, 2020 by nycroman
high rated
NuffCatnip: Yeah, they must've known that there'll be some kind of backlash from certain shar... *coughs* gamers, but nope, 'let's make that announcement, what could go wrong.' :/
Oh well, it's not like this is something new...

Sadly it's all about the almighty dollar, or in this case zloty.
EnforcerSunWoo: Well, they can shove that zloty up their back sloty.
Thank god I didn't drink something while reading your comment. :)

Yeah, I'll probably skip this sale. I wasn't interested in Devotion, but supporting censorship (among other things)...nah. :/
high rated

Several years ago there was a picture on the internet about Chinese president Xi Jinping looking like Winnie the Pooh. Then Chinese censors started censoring it and even banned Disney's Winnie the Pooh movie from being released in China. Naturally people reacted on this by doubling down the on the Xi/Winnie the Pooh joke as a way of making fun of Chinese dictatorship.
high rated
Hey, GOG... Apparently, actual gamers can be just as scary as China, who would have thought, huh?
EnforcerSunWoo: Well, they can shove that zloty up their back sloty.
NuffCatnip: Thank god I didn't drink something while reading your comment. :)

Yeah, I'll probably skip this sale. I wasn't interested in Devotion, but supporting censorship (among other things)...nah. :/
Probably a good thing, don't need to be charged with attempted murder because of a joke.
high rated
Oh yeah, I bet they are experiencing traffic. One of those support tickets is my request to refund all games I have purchased in the last 30 days, as official GOG return policy allows. Once I get my money back - and I will get it back one way or the other - I'm leaving this platform. I recommend the same to others disappointed by GOG and CDP bowing to china.
Attachments:
high rated
Oh look, the two top trending topics on r/games:

- SkateBIRD not coming to gog and Hot Tin Roof getting pulled over Devotion debacle
- Devotion debacle

Prison Architect giveaway has 25% the amount of upvotes the Devotion thread has.

Well done, gog! Real bang up job you did on your street cred, gog!
high rated

Devotion was a Taiwanese Horror game released after their fairly successful Detention.
Devotion is similar in tone and most chinese liked it when it was released. Then one chinese gamer realized that one of the prayer slips on the wall didn't have a prayer on them rather a Xi Jinping winnie the pooh joke. The chinese got furious both because of the joke and because they felt betrayed that they gave the game good reviews only to later find out about this. The devs appologized and claimed it was just a harmless in joke one designer used as a placeholder and it was never meant to be in the final game. But the chinese was still mad and review bombed the game and harresed the developers and publishers until the game was pulled from all stores.

The devs practically got driven underground and they were so relived that someone would offer to host their game. And then the CD Projekt BLUE curbstomped their dreams again.

I have supported you guys forever CDR, I have all your games, up to several copies. I always buy games on gog over steam, even when gog's price is substantially higher. I stuck with the delays of cyberpunk, I stuck with the broken release that hardly runs on my machine. And I was willing to forgive it all when I heard you would give Devotion a chance. You have no idea how betrayed I feel. Despite all your mistakes i always felt that your heart was in the right place. but this....

Fuck.
high rated
NuffCatnip: Yeah, I'll probably skip this sale. I wasn't interested in Devotion, but supporting censorship (among other things)...nah. :/
I was interested in Devotion, but even if I wasn't, I've still removed the things I placed in my shopping cart today. Some things are more important.
high rated
NuffCatnip: Yeah, I'll probably skip this sale. I wasn't interested in Devotion, but supporting censorship (among other things)...nah. :/
ReynardFox: I was interested in Devotion, but even if I wasn't, I've still removed the things I placed in my shopping cart today. Some things are more important.
Wanted to get the Destroy All Humans remake and Wolfenstein II but nope, gog just had the itch to fuck something up again. :P