It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DoomSooth: I won't consider trying the new one unless the old ones return.
Did fans of the older UT games like UT3 :S I see it got good reviews but I remember playing the demo and just finding it to be relentlessly /gray/.
Does Epic Games go Grinchy in stealing the games from the store? Does it not understand how bad it looks to do? The company is going nuts.

DoomSooth: I won't consider trying the new one unless the old ones return.
Technically its not "new," is as old as my carpet. You know, as far as I am aware (maybe wrong as of 2022), UT3 is not yet screwed, and you may get a version non-crappified by its untrustworthy launcher and it does in fact work without Steam )Well, at least it was working like a year ago). But hey, you can "buy", then a do, then refund, honestly, Steam allows that way. Right now it's temporarily renamed to the name with X instead of Black Edition.

To me it looks very simple and very cynical: Epic Games wants to delist and remove "internal self-competition" from all the other titles made by itself. Remember, it does remove the newest UT as well, the non-finished one, it was a risk to its plan. Then Epic Games thinks to make UT3 "Free" with its obligatory launcher (look the Steam page right now, this move is obvious). What for? To put it here and on Steam, attempt to use its old property that it imagines would kind of hold up for nothing else except to "lure" some people into its ecosystem, expecting these people would eventually buy something or just get hooked. I don't see or feel anything good in it, to me the result is no more Unreal on stores for others and UT3 gets bad "downgrade" treatment from the developer. I'll never forgive Epic Games for all of that in my entire life, what it does to my fav game is just plain wrong.

But then again, that's how I view it, personally, maybe a little speculative, others may view otherwise.

Nergal01: On another note: when can we expect to see UT 3 around here?
It is not unlikely it would have the Epic Games Launcher trap like Saints Row IV: Re-Elected does. What good is in it then? The Steam page explicitly states about having an account, seriously:
> Requires 3rd-Party Account: Epic Games Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)
Post edited December 23, 2022 by SilentBleppassin
So there we have it. The people that claimed that the GOG versions would stay were wrong. Unfortunately!

Will Jill & Jazz follow?
It's not UT3 X that would be good to have here, is the original Black Edition that is ridiculously simple to adapt to the store, since it's running Steam-independently, with making the GOG installer pass the key in like it apparently does for 2004 or does for HOMMIII (if I am not wrong). Do you get the point? X will not bring anything good new to the table. And being "free" doesn't equal good, as the countless mobile games do show daily: When free, quite often you are and/or your data are the product. Even its "regular free giveaway" games on its launcher are designed to hook you into the system.

How can anyone at all expect, in the light of the delisting move, anything good from the highly questionable Epic Games intentions?

mk47at: Will Jill & Jazz follow?
After everything I saw in recent years, including very questionable "updates" overriding a past product, I am not sure in anything except offline. I will not be fully surprised if Epic Games could pass an update doing something wrong with the old games even if it formally will stay in one's personal library.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by SilentBleppassin
Gamers should go download their installers from GOG if you got the GOG versions here; download all your Unreal games from Steam ASAP if you got them there too.

I'm really getting tired of updating old classics and removing them/delisting them...likely b/c they plan to do Paid Remasters or Insane Updates numerous years later. Stores should ALWAYS keep the important versions of old entries and just ADD the new Remaster; it ain't difficult.

You never know what new updates/remasters can break - break old mods; break old saves; and/or things of that sort. Plus, old versions usually have much lower system requirements & can be easier to run for those who ain't got around to buying insane new pricey powerful hardware either.

If companies are going to basically "Delist" old games b/c they want to upsell you to new expensive shiny edition - yeah, that stinks you can't buy old version cheap...but at leats you can buy new version to also get the old one too. This one's easy too: make sure NEW Remasters ALSO come packages with OLD Versions too. I think games like Planescape: Torment EE and NWN EE have the right idea here, as the OLD versions are bundled when you buy the new one too.

For example:
- Steam should have separate entries for say Unreal Tournament: Black (Old version); and Unreal Tournament 3: Black X Edition (that's the new edition that's coming).
- GOG should have separate entries for say The Witcher 3 (OG Edition); Witcher 3: GOTY; AND also Witcher 3: Complete (Next-Gen RT Version).
- Steam should have two separate entries for RE2 Remake old and RT Edition.
- Steam should have two separate entries for RE3 Remake old and RT Edition.
- Steam should have two separate entries for RE7 Remake old and RT Edition.
- GOG should bundle OLD versions of Deus Ex: HR with TML, along-side of a purchase of Deus Ex: HR DC.
- GOG should bundle OLD versions of Doom 3 & RoE, when purchasing DOOM 3 BFG.
- NWN: EE, IWD: EE, PST: EE, and other ALSO get this right on GOG...as new Enhanced Ed's get you access to the old ones too.

So, yeah - you catch the drift here.
amccour: Did fans of the older UT games like UT3 :S I see it got good reviews but I remember playing the demo and just finding it to be relentlessly /gray/.
III and III Black seemed okay, to me. I bought the disc for III and Steam upgraded it to Black. That Leviathan vehicle is a lot of fun. :)
However little its present owners resemble the id of old, the old Q3 v UT war has finally been won. The last game standing: https://www.gog.com/en/game/quake_iii_arena (Edit: to clarify, before someone points out UT3 still exists, I'm talking about the old rivalry from back in the day.)

If they actually are trying to remove 'internal competition', that shows why it's a stupid idea.

SilentBleppassin: Does Epic Games go Grinchy in stealing the games from the store?
It's Epicnezer Scrooge.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by VanishedOne
SilentBleppassin: Does Epic Games go Grinchy in stealing the games from the store? Does it not understand how bad it looks to do? The company is going nuts.
Agreed, Tim is this year's Grinch for real. I'm not interested in anything that requires any other account than gog and steam. When epic is involved, telemetry and datamining is pretty much guaranteed, so "free game" is not really free, so I won't support a company like that with purchase of any kind, until they sober up from that fortnite juice.
Anyway, I wonder what will happen with the rest of epic games here too or whether Unreal returns some day (and in what shape and form if it does).

P.S. I like your name dude, it's merciless! ;)
RIP Classic Unreal... Merry Christmas Epic you heartless bastards.

amccour: Did fans of the older UT games like UT3 :S I see it got good reviews but I remember playing the demo and just finding it to be relentlessly /gray/.
I loved UT99, UT2k4 and I also loved UT3, some of the default maps can be a bit monochromatic but there are still some lookers, the titan pack update content is great. Of course the fan made content really brings it to life, just like it always did, the Community Bonus 3 map pack alone comes with a ton of beautiful, varied maps, and even brings back classic domination mode.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by ReynardFox
MysterD: Gamers should go download their installers from GOG if you got the GOG versions here; download all your Unreal games from Steam ASAP if you got them there too.

I'm really getting tired of updating old classics and removing them/delisting them...likely b/c they plan to do Paid Remasters or Insane Updates numerous years later. Stores should ALWAYS keep the important versions of old entries and just ADD the new Remaster; it ain't difficult.

You never know what new updates/remasters can break - break old mods; break old saves; and/or things of that sort. Plus, old versions usually have much lower system requirements & can be easier to run for those who ain't got around to buying insane new pricey powerful hardware either.

If companies are going to basically "Delist" old games b/c they want to upsell you to new expensive shiny edition - yeah, that stinks you can't buy old version cheap...but at leats you can buy new version to also get the old one too. This one's easy too: make sure NEW Remasters ALSO come packages with OLD Versions too. I think games like Planescape: Torment EE and NWN EE have the right idea here, as the OLD versions are bundled when you buy the new one too.

For example:
- Steam should have separate entries for say Unreal Tournament: Black (Old version); and Unreal Tournament 3: Black X Edition (that's the new edition that's coming).
- GOG should have separate entries for say The Witcher 3 (OG Edition); Witcher 3: GOTY; AND also Witcher 3: Complete (Next-Gen RT Version).
- GOG should bundle OLD versions of Deus Ex: HR with TML, along-side of a purchase of Deus Ex: HR DC.
- NWN: EE, IWD: EE, PST: EE, and other ALSO get this right on GOG...as new Enhanced Ed's get you access to the old ones too.

100% agree, it's such bs when they try to erase the old versions that are cheaper, run on more machines, have more mods, etc and it's sad GOG never got the og (superior) versions of games like Skyrim/DXHR/Doom 3 and so on.
At the very least even if remasters replace the store package they should always come with the older version and if not free at least offer a discount for og owners.
MysterD: Gamers should go download their installers from GOG if you got the GOG versions here; download all your Unreal games from Steam ASAP if you got them there too.

For example:

tyl0413: 100% agree, it's such bs when they try to erase the old versions that are cheaper, run on more machines, have more mods, etc and it's sad GOG never got the og (superior) versions of games like Skyrim/DXHR/Doom 3 and so on.
At the very least even if remasters replace the store package they should always come with the older version and if not free at least offer a discount for og owners.
No doubt.

I do think GOG has it right with packaging new Blade Runner: Remaster also w/ the Old Classic version. We need more of this.

I also wish that Sleeping Dogs: Definitive here ALSO had the old version of SD to it. I really just want to tackle the DLC's - but lazy, never have; and ain't bought all of the DLC's. Though, I have SD Definitive on Steam, but I don't feel like starting over from scratch....as old SD saves don't work on Definitive.

I'd so buy SD Definitive on GOG if it came w/ both SD Definitive and SD: Old version with ALL DLC's packaged with it.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by MysterD
Well, it'll be pirates all the way down now. I'm pretty sure the GOG installers of those are freely available for those who know where to look.
DoomSooth: III and III Black seemed okay, to me. I bought the disc for III and Steam upgraded it to Black. That Leviathan vehicle is a lot of fun. :)
TLDR update not mean upgrade by default. Any updates, any games. Any software and even OS (Mac and Lixux too, looking at some lib-redists 'security updates').

And Wolfenstein 3D *upgraded* here on GOG.
And GTA 4. And SIN Gold. And and and. There is Feral Interactive who along with Apple Mac\Lin bring new Win versions updates and forgot something in SteamCDR depots for... at least Sega games. Sometimes even same dev (russian indie dev Sigma Team and Alien Shooter 1 on Steam).
From just few readme-manuals files from ingame folder to DLCs\whole games (by purpose and by mistake - for SIN series there is some mess with apps id and depots and subs that partially fixed).

So. Yuo get is as upgrade because it use same AppID on Steam. Right? That still can be very differ games. Or indeed just updated version. It is individual case for each game.

Eg Warcraft 3 ROC-TFT up to 1.27b is one game(+DLC). Warcraft 3 Classic 1.28-1.31.1 is another game. Warcraft 3 Reforged 1.32+ (- Classic\Reforged, whatever) - third one. You even from disc get 'a new update' ingame popup and get Reforged. It is still differ game. And ofc differ 'AppID' (for Bnet client there is only Reforged appid)
So careful with that. if you have access to something before large updates especially when IP right holders are changed - backup as quickly as possible!

Now it is case for GOG's Unreal series. Or Witcher 3 older version (well, i think for ppl who have older version too - separate AppID's for Witcher 3 on GOG). Since Unreal 3 gona get 'free' update better back current version... on steam. And then closely look what update bring.

And i didnt mention music\something else(?) removal! 2K and Rockstar games, Railroads '06 (aka S.M.'s Railroads! '06)... 2K publisher again.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by QWEEDDYZ
DoomSooth: III and III Black seemed okay, to me. I bought the disc for III and Steam upgraded it to Black. That Leviathan vehicle is a lot of fun. :)
You got a boxed version that requires Steam? I have a box which is not bound to anything online and can update it as I see fit. Did a playthrough through of the "White" edition (unupgraded) for old times sake just 2 years ago.

P-E-S: Well, it'll be pirates all the way down now. I'm pretty sure the GOG installers of those are freely available for those who know where to look.
Of course. This does absolutely nothing besides making it painfully obvious Epic doesn't want your money.
Post edited December 23, 2022 by idbeholdME
high rated
sysia_GOG: We’d like to inform you that due to the publisher’s decision, Unreal Tournament 2004 Editor's Choice Edition, Unreal 2: The Awakening Special Edition, Unreal Tournament GOTY, and Unreal Gold will be delisted from our catalog on December 23rd (Friday), 2 PM UTC.

For everyone who purchased any of the games prior to delisting, they will remain in their GOG library.
Next time please consider sending e-mails about the delisting to the customers who have the games on their wishlists. Let us have a chance to purchase the games before the delisting.