It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wishbone: Why this thread still has less than 200 posts is beyond me.
DarrkPhoenix: I guess I haven't felt the need to post anything yet since my opinion of GOG has already dropped a fair amount, at least to the point where this news to me was more along the lines of "Yet another fuckup from GOG." It's certainly unfortunate it's gotten to that point, but I can't bring myself to be all that disappointed since this honestly doesn't fall much below my current expectations of GOG.
While I must admit, my opinion of GOG has plummeted in the last year or so, I still expected better than this given that they threw away the flat pricing in order to place more focus on the DRM-free principle ("if we accept regional pricing then we can get bigger games DRM-free!"). Besides, the DRM in this game has been here the entire time this game was being sold. It just didn't become obvious that the developer held the power to deactivate your game until the developer deactivated everyone's game. It's been here for years... and while I appreciate that your expectations of GOG are very low, the more people lurk on this thread, the less GOG will feel like they need to deal with this. We've got to make some noise!
SirPrimalform: We've got to make some noise!
There's no way I'm getting a Facebook/Twitter account!

I'm naught but a tiny ripple of sighs slowly fading away in the vast GOG ocean of indifference...
Post edited July 02, 2015 by Lemon_Curry
SirPrimalform: We've got to make some noise!
Lemon_Curry: There's no way I'm getting a Facebook/Twitter account!

I'm naught but a tiny ripple of sighs slowly fading away in the vast GOG ocean of indifference...
I meant noise in this thread, but whatever. It's just that a couple of people appeared and owned up to lurking and it makes it seem like fewer people are bothered by this than actually are.
What a mess.

This should have been sorted out long ago. A store that constantly advertises itself as DRM free is still selling a game with DRM!

There is no excuse. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

(just adding my voice)
SirPrimalform: I meant noise in this thread...
I know. :)

It ought to be so simple... if a publisher of a new game can't/won't deliver a completely DRM-free version of it they can sod right off and go push it elsewhere.
Post edited July 02, 2015 by Lemon_Curry
SirPrimalform: I meant noise in this thread...
Lemon_Curry: I know. :)

It ought to be so simple... if a publisher of a new game can't/won't deliver a completely DRM-free version of it they can sod right off and go push it elsewhere.
Mmm, but at the moment GOG isn't exactly showing that that's how they feel... Not sure what DRM-free means to them if it doesn't mean DRM-free.
Thanks for making me aware of this!!!

Just requested a refund! This is unacceptable. Hope the developer notices the refunds.
DarrkPhoenix: I guess I haven't felt the need to post anything yet since my opinion of GOG has already dropped a fair amount, at least to the point where this news to me was more along the lines of "Yet another fuckup from GOG." It's certainly unfortunate it's gotten to that point, but I can't bring myself to be all that disappointed since this honestly doesn't fall much below my current expectations of GOG.
SirPrimalform: While I must admit, my opinion of GOG has plummeted in the last year or so, I still expected better than this given that they threw away the flat pricing in order to place more focus on the DRM-free principle ("if we accept regional pricing then we can get bigger games DRM-free!"). Besides, the DRM in this game has been here the entire time this game was being sold. It just didn't become obvious that the developer held the power to deactivate your game until the developer deactivated everyone's game. It's been here for years... and while I appreciate that your expectations of GOG are very low, the more people lurk on this thread, the less GOG will feel like they need to deal with this. We've got to make some noise!
They already fixed the issue and are in communication with the dev to make sure it doesn't happen again. Plus, they're offering refunds. Screwups happen, and this is a pretty comprehensive fix for something that GOG didn't do. It doesn't really lower my opinion of GOG - a small business with overworked, mediocre devs is going to have problems like this, the important thing is fixing it asap and preventing the same mistake going forward. Looks like that happened, so I'm good.
mchack: Thanks for making me aware of this!!!

Just requested a refund! This is unacceptable. Hope the developer notices the refunds.
Dude. Did you not see that the problem is fixed? And that GOG is working with the dev to get a GOG-only build going forward?

There's no reason to request a refund at this point. Before it was fixed, sure. Now, not so much.
Post edited July 02, 2015 by Gilozard
Ciris: DRM check in DEFCON has been removed by the developer.

The game still does seem to try calling home at startup, but that in no way influences single-player mode.

This is DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the DEV. We had a similar problem some time ago with DEFCON but it was fixed, it's back now and we've just been made aware of it. We've asked the developer to create a custom build for GOG in which this is prenatally fixed, unfortunately it will take some time for that to happen.

We apologize for the inconvenience - this is a situation that should not have happened. You are of course entitled to request refunds for the game due to this situation.
I miss the days when we had The EnigmaticT here. At least he would have had the decency to be upfront and honest about matters like this. Now, all we have is contradictory and ultimately meaningless double-speak like, "Wow, now the online DRM in our DRM-free game works the way it should! You should be so happy now!"
rampancy: I miss the days when we had The EnigmaticT here. At least he would have had the decency to be upfront and honest about matters like this. Now, all we have is contradictory and ultimately meaningless double-speak like, "Wow, now the online DRM in our DRM-free game works the way it should! You should be so happy now!"
I still keep wondering why he decided to quit. :(
Ciris: DRM check in DEFCON has been removed by the developer.

The game still does seem to try calling home at startup, but that in no way influences single-player mode.

This is DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the DEV. We had a similar problem some time ago with DEFCON but it was fixed, it's back now and we've just been made aware of it. We've asked the developer to create a custom build for GOG in which this is prenatally fixed, unfortunately it will take some time for that to happen.

We apologize for the inconvenience - this is a situation that should not have happened. You are of course entitled to request refunds for the game due to this situation.
HypersomniacLive: You do realise that you're admitting to GOG knowing that the game was never really DRM-free, yet still advertised and sold it as such, right? And that it still behaves differently when an Internet connection is present, right? And that your opening statement, in bold, is contradicted by everything else you say in your post, right? And that it's not exactly helping to restore trust, right?
It could easily be that GOG got the developer to remove the DRM-check at one point, than the dev made a patch and forgot to set it up separately for GOG, so the patch also patched in the DRM. GOG is now asking the Dev to set up a special build for GOG with the check permanently removed from the code to prevent patching the DRM back in in the future.

Having working in development, this seems the most likely explanation to me.
mchack: Thanks for making me aware of this!!!

Gilozard: Dude. Did you not see that the problem is fixed? And that GOG is working with the dev to get a GOG-only build going forward?

There's no reason to request a refund at this point. Before it was fixed, sure. Now, not so much.
I don't see as this is a mistake on gog so much as on the dev. He must make sure this can't happen in the future and has to have an incentive to do so, therefore I am very keen on getting my money back from him. It's not acceptable in a drm free game for single player to phone home. Simple as that. Say in 20 years his servers are down (and they will be)? Then you can't play your single player game anymore. A pre-activated key for the gog version just doesn't cut it. It just mustn't try to phone home before giving the full single player experience!
So I have a very good reason for the refund, as far as I understand the situation.
high rated
Gilozard: Dude. Did you not see that the problem is fixed? And that GOG is working with the dev to get a GOG-only build going forward?

Dude, if you read the thread properly you'd see that it is in no way fixed. The problem that alerted us to the DRM is fixed, but the DRM is still there.
Gilozard: They already fixed the issue and are in communication with the dev to make sure it doesn't happen again. Plus, they're offering refunds. Screwups happen, and this is a pretty comprehensive fix for something that GOG didn't do. It doesn't really lower my opinion of GOG - a small business with overworked, mediocre devs is going to have problems like this, the important thing is fixing it asap and preventing the same mistake going forward. Looks like that happened, so I'm good.
No. The issue is that the game has very active DRM that gives the devs the power to deactivate your game. That has not been fixed yet, all that has happened is that they've reactivated our game using the power that they shouldn't have. The was sold as DRM-free, it wasn't DRM-free and still isn't.

Whether or not the current situation is acceptable to you, it isn't DRM-free and shouldn't currently be on GOG.
Post edited July 02, 2015 by SirPrimalform

mchack: I don't see as this is a mistake on gog so much as on the dev. He must make sure this can't happen in the future and has to have an incentive to do so, therefore I am very keen on getting my money back from him. It's not acceptable in a drm free game for single player to phone home. Simple as that. Say in 20 years his servers are down (and they will be)? Then you can't play your single player game anymore. A pre-activated key for the gog version just doesn't cut it. It just mustn't try to phone home before giving the full single player experience!
So I have a very good reason for the refund, as far as I understand the situation.
Your scenario already doesn't apply. Even prior to this, if the game couldn't connect to the servers nothing happened.

Only when 1) Game could talk to the servers, and 2) Key was deactivated did a problem happen.

I agree that single player games shouldn't phone home. But given that the typical scenarios (offline computer, server down) were already accounted for and an updated build is in progress I don't think it's worth causing all the hassle of refunds.

A refund request will hit GOG, not the developer. Maybe they can get money back from the dev but probably not - refunds don't typically work that way. What you're doing is pulling money out of GOG's pocket, the dev won't notice a thing.
Gilozard: There's no reason to request a refund at this point. Before it was fixed, sure. Now, not so much.
I wouldn't call that 'fixed' just yet. Besides, it appears the users have to send a message to the head honchos at GOG about not owning up to their mistakes and not taking their responsibilities seriously and what better way to do this than requesting a refund?

Whatever the initial cause GOG is ultimately to be held accountable for this embarrassing situation.