It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
DRM check in DEFCON has been removed by the developer.

The game still does seem to try calling home at startup, but that in no way influences single-player mode.

This is DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the DEV. We had a similar problem some time ago with DEFCON but it was fixed, it's back now and we've just been made aware of it. We've asked the developer to create a custom build for GOG in which this is prenatally fixed, unfortunately it will take some time for that to happen.

We apologize for the inconvenience - this is a situation that should not have happened. You are of course entitled to request refunds for the game due to this situation.
Ciris: DRM check in DEFCON has been removed by the developer.

The game still does seem to try calling home at startup, but that in no way influences single-player mode.
We've asked the developer to create a custom build for GOG in which this is prenatally fixed, unfortunately it will take some time for that to happen.
I don't get what you are trying to say. Has the DRM check been removed or will it take some time to happen? And is the game trying to call home or does it just seem like that?

I'm really confused.
*joins PaterAlf in the confusion jacuzzi

I hope this IS a jacuzzi O___o
high rated

This is DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the DEV. We had a similar problem some time ago with DEFCON but it was fixed, it's back now and we've just been made aware of it. We've asked the developer to create a custom build for GOG in which this is prenatally fixed, unfortunately it will take some time for that to happen.

We apologize for the inconvenience - this is a situation that should not have happened. You are of course entitled to request refunds for the game due to this situation.
Hang on.

Either the DRM is removed or it isn't. You say the DRM is removed and then go on to say that the DRM-free version isn't done yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like all the developer has done right now is to 'unrevoke' the key that the game is pre-activated with. The DRM isn't removed if the game is still asking the server if the key is ok.

I just started the game and can confirm that the "key revoked" message is gone, but it's still connecting to the server and checking if you're allowed to play. The game files haven't been updated and the DRM is still very much there.

I ask again, why is GOG selling a game with DRM? Even if you were ignorant of the DRM before, it's definitely been brought to your attention now. Until the dev actually provides a DRM-free build, the game shouldn't be on GOG.
PaterAlf: I don't get what you are trying to say. Has the DRM check been removed or will it take some time to happen? And is the game trying to call home or does it just seem like that?

I'm really confused.
It's BS. The check is still there, the key has just been 'unrevoked'.

Ciris is talking about DRM checks being enabled and disabled, but it's just the status of the key that's been changing. The key was revoked/cancelled/invalidated by the dev by mistake and they've reinstated it. It's still being checked, the only thing that has changed now is that the server gives us a thumbs up.

I'm assuming that Ciris has been given bad info though rather than being deliberately disingenuous - but the whole "DRM check in DEFCON has been removed by the developer. " and "We've asked the developer to create a custom build for GOG in which this is prenatally fixed," thing is weird.
Post edited July 01, 2015 by SirPrimalform

SirPrimalform: Hang on.

Either the DRM is removed or it isn't. You say the DRM is removed and then go on to say that the DRM-free version isn't done yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like all the developer has done right now is to 'unrevoke' the key that the game is pre-activated with. The DRM isn't removed if the game is still asking the server if the key is ok.

I just started the game and can confirm that the "key revoked" message is gone, but it's still connecting to the server and checking if you're allowed to play. The game files haven't been updated and the DRM is still very much there.

I ask again, why is GOG selling a game with DRM? Even if you were ignorant of the DRM before, it's definitely been brought to your attention now. Until the dev actually provides a DRM-free build, the game shouldn't be on GOG.
Because of the extreme unclarity of the message, I pinged Introversion suggesting they *may* want to provide a specific English statement about how the problem came to exist and how it is being fixed.
I think what Ciris tried to say is, that DEFCON had its DRM removed, but that the DRM came back from the dead again oO At least that's how I understand:
[...]
This is DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the DEV. We had a similar problem some time ago with DEFCON but it was fixed, it's back now [...]
The undead... Shoot 'em in their heads or they'll stand up again. I guess undead DRM doesn't work any different :/
Post edited July 01, 2015 by real.geizterfahr
real.geizterfahr: Don't worry, they'll compensate us with 50% off coupons for the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate :P
Grargar: There are no enhanced editions of Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights 1+2 and Planescape: Torment, though. :P
don't they still need a CD-key to play online? those are half-DRM games, though i avoid online games most of the time.
dick1982: don't they still need a CD-key to play online? those are half-DRM games, though i avoid online games most of the time.
The Neverwinter Nights games do, along with other games in the catalog (like Unreal Tournament 2004).
If a game contains DRM that the devs can (apparently completely by accident) turn on at any time, it wasn't really ever "DRM-free," was it? I don't want to come down to hard, because I don't think this is some kind of sinister conspiracy of whatever; more a miscommunication between devs and GOG, I assume. But hopefully GOG will take a little more care in the future.
real.geizterfahr: I think what Ciris tried to say is, that DEFCON had its DRM removed, but that the DRM came back from the dead again oO At least that's how I understand:
The undead... Shoot 'em in their heads or they'll stand up again. I guess undead DRM doesn't work any different :/
BadDecissions: If a game contains DRM that the devs can (apparently completely by accident) turn on at any time, it wasn't really ever "DRM-free," was it? I don't want to come down to hard, because I don't think this is some kind of sinister conspiracy of whatever; more a miscommunication between devs and GOG, I assume. But hopefully GOG will take a little more care in the future.
The problem is that Ciris - whether accidentally or deliberately - is inaccurately talking about the 'key revoked' thing as if that was the DRM. That was just the evidence of the DRM - as far as I can tell the game has had DRM for as long as it has been here but it was only the key getting revoked that brought it to our attention.

The DRM is still very much in place, when Ciris talks about the 'DRM check' being removed, (s)he seems to be referring to the developer re-activating that key. When (s)he says the DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the dev, again it's the key that was accidentally blocked. The check was always there and is still there. I don't know whether Ciris is misinformed or trying to do some damage control with weasel words but either way, the explanation doesn't fit the facts.

real.geizterfahr, don't worry about zombies, the DRM had just faked its death. It was lurking in the shadows, very much alive the entire time.
BadDecissions, you're absolutely right. If the game can be externally disabled then it was never DRM-free.

The game really shouldn't have been accepted like this and definitely shouldn't continue to be sold.
Post edited July 01, 2015 by SirPrimalform
SirPrimalform: The problem is that Ciris - whether accidentally or deliberately - is inaccurately talking about the 'key revoked' thing as if that was the DRM. That was just the evidence of the DRM - as far as I can tell the game has had DRM for as long as it has been here but it was only the key getting revoked that brought it to our attention.

The DRM is still very much in place, when Ciris talks about the 'DRM check' being removed, (s)he seems to be referring to the developer re-activating that key. When (s)he says the DRM check was enabled by a mistake by the dev, again it's the key that was accidentally blocked. The check was always there and is still there. I don't know whether Ciris is misinformed or trying to do some damage control with weasel words but either way, the explanation doesn't fit the facts.

real.geizterfahr, don't worry about zombies, the DRM had just faked its death. It was lurking in the shadows, very much alive the entire time.
BadDecissions, you're absolutely right. If the game can be externally disabled then it was never DRM-free.

The game really shouldn't have been accepted like this and definitely shouldn't continue to be sold.
These are very unclear messages we're getting, and as you're saying, the explanation doesn't fit the facts. Whether that is because of poor communication skills or deliberate misinformation, it's a shitty situation regardless. Especially when we're talking about the only one of their original principles that GOG has left.

As regards the undead DRM... I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
high rated

You do realise that you're admitting to GOG knowing that the game was never really DRM-free, yet still advertised and sold it as such, right? And that it still behaves differently when an Internet connection is present, right? And that your opening statement, in bold, is contradicted by everything else you say in your post, right? And that it's not exactly helping to restore trust, right?
Feckin' philistine! Please get your act together GOG: start putting your money where your mouth is.

Sachys: *joins PaterAlf in the confusion jacuzzi

I hope this IS a jacuzzi O___o
Close - it's actually a BYOB bath.
Post edited July 02, 2015 by Lemon_Curry
Why this thread still has less than 200 posts is beyond me.
Wishbone: Why this thread still has less than 200 posts is beyond me.
Perhaps we're too tired to care about our rights anymore.