It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Change language to: DE edition | FR edition | RU edition | PL edition

More than three decades after the first Cyberpunk tabletop RPG was published, its creator is now watching the huge sci-fi world he devised come to life. Mike Pondsmith played a huge role in helping CD PROJEKT RED make Cyberpunk 2077 a unique RPG experience and today, we had the chance to ask him a few questions.

GOG.COM: How does it feel to be the creator of a sci-fi game universe that inspired one of the most anticipated titles across the world?

Mike Pondsmith: Overwhelmed. This project is immense, and so many people have contributed to make it what it is. I knew 2077 was going to be a great game; that's why I trusted CDPR to make it. What I didn't expect was the overwhelming fan response and the scope and scale of that creation.

If you could describe the work on Cyberpunk 2077 with CD PROJEKT RED in one word, what would that be and why?

Collaborative. The ideas and how we do things flow back and forth, which is why we have such a great game. This could have been a typical licensor/licensee thing, but both sides worked together towards the same goal as equals.

2020 was hard for many people. Do you think recent events have brought us closer to the Cyberpunk universe you’ve created – with all-powerful corporations gaining power and the net being the main place to search for freedom and self-expression?

Yeah, 2020 was a monster alright. Right now, I feel like we're about twenty minutes away from the Dark Future, but that we can still use the tools we have to turn it around. We just have to really want to do it. Remember; Cyberpunk is a warning, not an aspiration!

What do you think is the most important difference between the world you imagined in the original Cyberpunk game from 1988 and its new version in Cyberpunk 2077?

The world of Night City is a lot more jam packed with people and things. After all, there are limits to what a TTRPG can show and what a video game can. So while there are a lot of similarities, the biggest difference is the sheer, staggering scale.

Do you play video games in your spare time? :) If so, what are your favorite titles?

What is this spare time thing you speak of? :)

One of these days, I will get back to Red Dead, Transformers War For Cybertron, Star Wars Fallen Jedi, Gundam Trilogy, VaHall A, and No Man's Sky. Right after I play the hell out of Cyberpunk 2077 though.

Are there any elements of the upcoming game – in terms of its universe, gameplay features, or characters – you are most impatient to witness in their full glory once Cyberpunk 2077 releases?

I plan to just log in and walk all over the city I created thirty years ago, and be amazed. This time, it won't all be in my head.

Are you also up for such a walk through the Night City, along with its dangers and excitement? Your chance is just around the corner, as Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG.COM invites you on the RPG adventure of your lifetime!

One more thing - if you wish to check your knowledge about the world of Cyberpunk 2077, check out our quiz.
Lodium: Its Great that Mike Pondsmith is
enthusiastic about an ip created based on his creation but i think hes pushing it a bit far when he says this :
: Overwhelmed. This project is immense, and so many people have contributed to make it what it is. I knew 2077 was going to be a great game.

i mean the game isnt even out yet
reviews of the game arent posted across the board either except from a few that preplayed the game in the press, Youtube and the preload thing.

Wheter the game is going to be great
we dont really know before more people have played it
Mike played it and he knows, he doesn't need "more people" to tell him his own opinion.
Please move conversations/questions about Cyberpunk 2077 (or any other, specific game) to it's dedicated subforum:
https://www.gog.com/forum/cyberpunk_2077

Also, if you experience any bugs in the game, I would like to suggest to search for an answer/contact the developers of the game directly here:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?forums/cyberpunk.21/

If you encounter technical issues with GOG GALAXY or offline installers, please contact our technical support:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?form=technical&product=galaxy
This didn't age well...... hope it does someday
Damn, this is kinda amazing and unbelievable, somekind unreal to imagine, that Mr Pondsmith can now walk through a world he has created in his head 30 years ago!

I really like, that he said, it was a good working condition with CDPR. Not only "we got the licencse and do what we want with it, thanks!" -kind.

I would like to read more interviews with him about the game and his influence.
To think it was all fluff for nothing. I can't possibly imagine the Disappointment he felt.
Although the Money he got, probably eased the Pain.
LewdBox: To think it was all fluff for nothing. I can't possibly imagine the Disappointment he felt.
Although the Money he got, probably eased the Pain.
Yeah, I don't know.
If MY creation would get attrocious adaptation probably no amount of money would sweeten me the bad association between the said creation and my original source material.