It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: I don't know what version of the trailer you've seen, but the one I've seen has no such message.
Lucumo: It's at 2:14 and the message was all over gaming websites as well as forums back then.
That unreadable freeze-frame blip I assume? Yeah, surprisingly I didn't read o even notice it. And don't expect me to remember some news about recruitment (which I likely wouldn't have paid attention to anyway) from five years ago.
Lucumo: It's at 2:14 and the message was all over gaming websites as well as forums back then.
Breja: That unreadable freeze-frame blip I assume? Yeah, surprisingly I didn't read o even notice it. And don't expect me to remember some news about recruitment (which I likely wouldn't have paid attention to anyway) from five years ago.
If you make such a statement, of course I expect it from you.
Breja: That unreadable freeze-frame blip I assume? Yeah, surprisingly I didn't read o even notice it. And don't expect me to remember some news about recruitment (which I likely wouldn't have paid attention to anyway) from five years ago.
Lucumo: If you make such a statement, of course I expect it from you.
Ok then. Have fun with that :D
“We want to experiment in new fields that were not yet explored in the Witcher. I can’t say much about Cyberpunk, although our ambitions are set really high because that is our style of work. We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant.”

“Online is necessary, or very recommended if you wish to achieve a long-term success. At some point, we have mentioned that there will be a certain online element related to Cyberpunk.”

“Multiplayer is strategically important, playing online is strategically important, because we want to have a commercial leg for service type games, games which generate stable income, period to period, which are built. Of course, every game ends after a number of years, some service type games function even after 10 years, but outside our main source of income, meaning big names, it’s building a stable source of income. And in the future, we can imagine a lot of connections between big games and service type games – We have to acknowledge it, it is obvious.”

Red flags...so many red flags...

- "busines chat"

- "commercially even more significant"

- "online is necessary"

- "source of stable income"

- "service type games"

If CD Projekt Red are seriously thinking about putting horrible business practices in Cyberpunk, I'm probably going to stop buying new games altogether.

Left Steam mainly due to these practices...hopefully GOG isn't going to go down the same route.

Plus, can you imagine the shitstorm? I'd imagine a LOT of gamers are going to have huge expecations for Cyberpunk, myself included. How can we not? Witcher 3 blew the whole industry apart and set the bar on so many levels.

-
-
-
[LIGHT GAME OF THRONES SEASON 5 SPOILERS BELOW]
-
-
-

If CD Projekt Red tries something shady, like gambling loot boxes or some other kind of dodgy season pass deals for the sake of money, I'd imagine that fans would feel the same way Jon Snow felt when he was betrayed at Castle Black. I can picture it now.

CD Projekt Red leads the fans outside, all of whom are very excited for Cyberpunk 2077 and with plenty of trust. At first, things seemed well, until they approached the community announcement pinned to the wall.

"RNG Microtransactions, Season Passes, DRM-Required etc"

The community then turns around in confusion, only to have the investors of CD Projekt Red promptly stab each of them through the gut, and uttering "For the cash" with each lunge, over and over. Eventually, the trust, the love, respect and adoration from the company falls down and supposedly dies, along with the fans themselves.

I'm excited for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm not excited for terrible corporate business practices.

Either the game, it's DLC, business model and in-game content are of the same quality/value as the Witcher 3, or I won't be buying it at all. Hopefully the game turns out great and dosen't follow the same route taken by EA, Ubisoft or Activision...*fingers crossed*
As expected lots of overreaction based on very little info. If the leaks are to be believed then this "online component" really isn't that big of deal.

https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-singleplayer-multiplayer-hub/
Post edited November 15, 2017 by BKGaming
Guys, I really think it's time you got a reality check if you're surprised by this, or hope for it not to mean what it obviously means. CD Projekt is not interested in being some last hold out of old school gaming industry. Whatever used to be true of the "by gamers for gamers" image has long fallen apart. They want to compete with the biggest of the big, and they're doing it the only way anyone ever does it - by mimicking them as close as possible. And this isn't some angry rant of a betrayed fan boy, I'm long past being angry or surprised by this stuff. I'm just stating the facts.

The single-player, self-contained offline games culture is no longer where the big money is. It's like rock'n'roll in todays music - still has some huge hits once in a while, but mostly it's kept alive by the indie scene and is no longer relevant for the big business and the majority of the audience. The big money and huge hits belong to the vapid, mass produced pop stars. Likewise in gaming most people want all of this online, games as service etc. bullshit, or at the very least they don't care. Everything being online, social and "a service" is so obvious to them. The audience that cares and actively dislikes it is too niche (get it?) and dying out (eventually quite literally given how it's also at least partially a generational difference).

Microtransactions, lootboxes, always online, social features, streaming friendly games designed by marketing teams are not going away, and CD Projekt is not going to tilt those windmills for us, no matter how much we'd like them to. Yeah, they could probably remain succesfull mid-level developers with a loving, loyal fanbase if they decided to buck the trends, but they have a different goal. Gwent went made that pretty obvious already. It's hard to say how far Cyberpunk 2077 will go, but that's the general direction. They want to follow in Blizzards footsteps. They won't be getting my money for it, but neither is Blizzard and they seem to be doing fine :P
Post edited November 15, 2017 by Breja
bigblueogre: ... If CD Projekt Red are seriously thinking about putting horrible business practices in Cyberpunk, I'm probably going to stop buying new games altogether. ...
That sounds a bit too harsh. Just because CD Projekt does something or doesn't do it, you will completely stop buying anything? There are still tons of single player games out there and in the making. Just not by CDP. It could be much worse.
bigblueogre: ... If CD Projekt Red are seriously thinking about putting horrible business practices in Cyberpunk, I'm probably going to stop buying new games altogether. ...
Trilarion: That sounds a bit too harsh. Just because CD Projekt does something or doesn't do it, you will completely stop buying anything? There are still tons of single player games out there and in the making. Just not by CDP. It could be much worse.
Just new AAA titles :)
Breja: Guys, I really think it's time you got a reality check if you're surprised by this, or hope for it not to mean what it obviously means. CD Projekt is not interested in being some last hold out of old school gaming industry. Whatever used to be true of the "by gamers for gamers" image has long fallen apart. They want to compete with the biggest of the big, and they're doing it the only way anyone ever does it - by mimicking them as close as possible. And this isn't some angry rant of a betrayed fan boy, I'm long past being angry or surprised by this stuff. I'm just stating the facts. The single-player, self-contained offline games culture is no longer where the big money is. It's like rock'n'roll in todays music - still has some huge hits once in a while, but mostly it's kept alive by the indie scene and is no longer relevant for the big business and the majority of the audience. The big money and huge hits belong to the vapid, mass produced pop stars. Likewise in gaming most people want all of this online, games as service etc. bullshit, or at the very least they don't care. Everything being online, social and "a service" is so obvious to them. The audience that cares and actively dislikes it is too niche (get it?) and dying out (eventually quite literally given how it's also at least partially a generational difference). Microtransactions, lootboxes, always online, social features, streaming friendly games designed by marketing teams are not going away, and CD Projekt is not going to tilt those windmills for us, no matter how much we'd like them to. Yeah, they could probably remain succesfull mid-level developers with a loving, loyal fanbase if they decided to buck the trends, but they have a different goal. Gwent went made that pretty obvious already. It's hard to say how far Cyberpunk 2077 will go, but that's the general direction. They want to follow in Blizzards footsteps. They won't be getting my money for it, but neither is Blizzard and they seem to be doing fine :P
Pretty much spot on. This is the way the industry has been heading for a number of years now, so it can't be a surprise to anyone if they've been paying attention. The only thing here I'd argue with (and it's minor) is the point about mimicking the biggest of the big. I'm not sure it's so much mimicking the big guys as just following the trends of the industry - the trends that are making big money. Now, are the big guys setting those trends? I guess in that sense, they're mimicking, but I guess I'm just seeing it from a slightly different angle. Either way, it's pretty much impossible for them to grow and make money if they don't follow where the money is. Doesn't sit well with us grognards that aren't all about social gaming, on-line tethers, and service delivery models, but - as you noted - we're incredibly niche.
Breja: *huge wall of text*
Paragraphs exist for a reason you know. I'm just saying, if you want people to actually read what you write, you should make it easier on them.

That being said, I find all the overreacting and assumptions pretty hilarious. Why don't you people just chill about Cyberpunk 2077 and wait until the game's actually out before passing judgment on it and its potential online features?
While I kind of agree with you about GOG becoming more like Steam and CD Projekt gradually placing less importance on staying DRM-free as they become more successful, that doesn't mean they'll straight up go to Blizzard levels of online-only games. There is a middle ground, you know.
high rated
mystral: There is a middle ground, you know.
I think the worry is that the middle ground, is well above where most people would prefer GOG to stay
Breja: *huge wall of text*
mystral: Paragraphs exist for a reason you know. I'm just saying, if you want people to actually read what you write, you should make it easier on them.
Edited. I didn't realise while writing that it ended up such long rant :D
Oh my. It looks written by an EA pr man. Well, if they go the game as a service way, they'll implode in the imminent gaming crash with all the other "big playas". You can push people only that far, not everyone is a zombie.
They should have stuck to their single player forumla, imo. That one is safe. it's ridiculous to hear them telling this after the unbelievable success of The Witcher 3, it seems contraddictory.

I am now officially a GOG/CDP "separatist". I share the goals, but I am questioning the methods. I miss the old times, you know, those with "principles", common humans rather than public relators and a whole lot of good games without compromises, both old and new.
mystral: ...I find all the overreacting and assumptions pretty hilarious. Why don't you people just chill about Cyberpunk 2077 and wait until the game's actually out before passing judgment on it and its potential online features?
While I kind of agree with you about GOG becoming more like Steam and CD Projekt gradually placing less importance on staying DRM-free as they become more successful, that doesn't mean they'll straight up go to Blizzard levels of online-only games. There is a middle ground, you know.
Not sure what you expected. This is pretty much decent standard human behavior, not restricted to gamers in any way. People never chill and wait with their judgement until events actually happened. They always like to speculate, jump to conclusions and suspect the worst (or best). This won't change and expecting more patience is maybe asking for too much. And the game industry including CDP knows of this behavior and still cannot find different words announcing upcoming features? Really? They basically ask for an overreaction.

On the other hand my impression is that the middle ground is pretty thin. Either you have a multiplayer part in your game or you haven't, and if you have you need some sort of authentication for the multiplayer users which will of course also check if you own the copy, so DRM is a must then. And I hardly know any game that combines the best of single and multiplayer. They always concentrate on either one or the other, and the other part is then mostly boring. It could be different this time, but would require a major miracle. Also CDP does not publish so many titles per year. One more multiplayer game probably means one less single player game from them. Maybe that's too simple. Maybe they deliver a great single player game with some kind of optional (I don't care much about) multiplayer part. It's possible. Yet, I find it somehow a bit hard to believe. We'll see.
bigblueogre: Red flags...so many red flags...

- "busines chat"

- "commercially even more significant"

- "online is necessary"

- "source of stable income"

- "service type games"
I agree, that is some pretty disturbing corporate speak. If anything CD-Projekt Red only has to look at the success of the Witcher3. It proved you don't have to be EA, or adhere to these practices to make a ton of money. Cyberpunk is still pretty far out, and hopefully they will stick to the values that brought us here in the first place.

For me these are deal breakers.......

*Microtransactions (full DLC is fine)
*Loot Boxes
*Galaxy locked Multiplayer