It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MajicMan: I am more concerned that the game will require the Galaxy download and be required to play in single player only. It would be great if it had no Galaxy requirement and had a LAN inclusion.
That's my main concern. I can only hope that they will not force the user to both install galaxy and being forced to be online.

I definitely don't think they will allow any LAN feature, as they will mostly try to promote galaxy as much as possible, but I'm fine with it as long they don't limit the SP behind it.
MajicMan: The statement "Online is necessary" may only refer to needing online connectivity if you want to play online or play multiplayer (that would suck for no LAN support), but it doesn't say the game requires and online connection for the single player campaign.

As for games being a service - that is really old. We called them arcades back then and you paid a quarter at a time to play a game or get a continue, or more lives, etc.

Adding DLC to a game as a service doesn't have to be bad. Look at the Borderlands series, the DLC expansions have been excellent featuring new characters to play, new NPCs added to the universe, new large campaigns, new weapons, new level cap and both are excellent games in single player and multiplayer.

I don't see CDP going in the loot crate garbage direction. I don't see 2077 being Battlefield 2, Forza 7, Middle Earth Shadows of War, Destiny series, etc.
What do you mean loot crate, something like this perhaps:
https://www.gog.com/news/release_the_gwent_starter_pack

Old hat mate, next up is pay per render, you can of course play black and white renders totally drm free offline, but if you want colour...
MajicMan: I am more concerned that the game will require the Galaxy download and be required to play in single player only. It would be great if it had no Galaxy requirement and had a LAN inclusion.
Gurlok: That's my main concern. I can only hope that they will not force the user to both install galaxy and being forced to be online.

I definitely don't think they will allow any LAN feature, as they will mostly try to promote galaxy as much as possible, but I'm fine with it as long they don't limit the SP behind it.
I really wish CDP would do what Diablo II did. Offer internet online and LAN. To this day, I have never played D2 on battle.net. Every multiplayer game I have played with friends has been over LAN. Me and two other friends each own 3 copies of the D2 battlechest just in case we want to play when we are over at the others place.

Plus once Galaxy is installed every time you download something new it wants to put it in Galaxy and Galaxy automatically opens. They really need to fix Galaxy so that it only opens, runs or is used when specifically asked for a specific situation.
Gurlok: That's my main concern. I can only hope that they will not force the user to both install galaxy and being forced to be online.

MajicMan: I really wish CDP would do what Diablo II did. Offer internet online and LAN. To this day, I have never played D2 on battle.net. Every multiplayer game I have played with friends has been over LAN. Me and two other friends each own 3 copies of the D2 battlechest just in case we want to play when we are over at the others place.

Plus once Galaxy is installed every time you download something new it wants to put it in Galaxy and Galaxy automatically opens. They really need to fix Galaxy so that it only opens, runs or is used when specifically asked for a specific situation.
I more than understand and agree with you on the LAN part. Sigh, I wish it was still used nowadays, but it's becoming rare and rarer as the time flies.

About the galaxy thing: does it happens with offline installers? I'd like to know because ever since I started to use galaxy, I have yet to use the offline installers, but I don't like this :/
Irx: [...] idiots with names like DOMINATOR777.
CharlesGrey: Hah hah -- That's exactly one of the downsides of multiplayer gaming. Not only are many of the random players out there rude, mentally challenged 14 year olds, they also tend to have completely immersion breaking or downright offensive user names. DOMINATOR777 would be on the mild side of things.
One of the main reasons why I don't play any multiplayer games. I can live without Orcs called -=1337_HaXXor=- and gEt_cRaNcEr_aDn_diE_2004 who're telling me how good my momma sucked their wieners last night -.- There are too many 14 years old idiots out there.
MajicMan: Plus once Galaxy is installed every time you download something new it wants to put it in Galaxy and Galaxy automatically opens. They really need to fix Galaxy so that it only opens, runs or is used when specifically asked for a specific situation.
Can you clarify on this? I don't understand fully what you're describing here.
The only part disturbing me is his talk of "service type games" and stating "Online is necessary" for making money on games long term.

Even the online part, I can almost see, in terms of income. They're at the point now where they need to go big or go home. Witcher 3 finally made GOG relevant in the eyes of the masses. We'll see what they do with Cyberpunk 2077.

In terms of "service type games" that is very troubling, though the Polish are known for saying things in a way that might offend others and doesn't necessarily mean what you assume it does (I'm a quarter Polish, I know these things).

He might be speaking in general terms of service type games, in terms of games that have some sort of monetization to prolong their lifespan. He might not actually means "games as a service" a la EA and ValvE.

I'm not ready to get super pissed off quite yet, because it could just be a matter of linguistics and culture, and he might not even mean what people are getting upset over - but time will tell, and I will keep a cautious eye on this project going forward.
CharlesGrey: Hah hah -- That's exactly one of the downsides of multiplayer gaming. Not only are many of the random players out there rude, mentally challenged 14 year olds, they also tend to have completely immersion breaking or downright offensive user names. DOMINATOR777 would be on the mild side of things.
real.geizterfahr: One of the main reasons why I don't play any multiplayer games. I can live without Orcs called -=1337_HaXXor=- and gEt_cRaNcEr_aDn_diE_2004 who're telling me how good my momma sucked their wieners last night -.- There are too many 14 years old idiots out there.
Some of them may be 13, 15 or 20 year old idiots -- but yeah, it makes it hard to enjoy any online games with random enemies/ team members. However, I think it depends largely on the type of game and the audience it attracts. In games with complex mechanics, which require a certain amount of intelligence and creativity, you're less likely to find trolls/jerks than in the latest AAA First Person Shooter.
real.geizterfahr: One of the main reasons why I don't play any multiplayer games. I can live without Orcs called -=1337_HaXXor=- and gEt_cRaNcEr_aDn_diE_2004 who're telling me how good my momma sucked their wieners last night -.- There are too many 14 years old idiots out there.
CharlesGrey: Some of them may be 13, 15 or 20 year old idiots -- but yeah, it makes it hard to enjoy any online games with random enemies/ team members. However, I think it depends largely on the type of game and the audience it attracts. In games with complex mechanics, which require a certain amount of intelligence and creativity, you're less likely to find trolls/jerks than in the latest AAA First Person Shooter.
But as a trade-off you'll find elitist jerks in complex games, who are dicks to everyone who hasn't been around since the beta phase of the game. (Eve Online, I'm looking at you here!)

People can be assholes, independent of age - and online communities give those assholes the anonymity to act out their anti-social tendencies without repercussions.
Is this surprising? Most people expect some kind of online integration in games these days. There's no way it won't take advantage of every feature Galaxy has to offer as a flagship title to get more people to the platform. As long as all this compliments the game rather than dominates it (aka don't be like Battlefront 2) and remain optional, I don't see why they can't please that crowd as well as the hardcore DRM-free GOG crowd.
Was there ever any promise that Cyberpunk would even be DRM-free? Because I guess we're all assuming it will be released DRM-free on GOG, but I don't recall there ever being an assurance that it would. They could very well saddle it with required Galaxy, not sell it on GOG at all, and have all the mandatory on-line features they want. Just because it's CDPR doesn't really mean it has to show up here.
Lifthrasil: But as a trade-off you'll find elitist jerks in complex games, who are dicks to everyone who hasn't been around since the beta phase of the game. (Eve Online, I'm looking at you here!)

People can be assholes, independent of age - and online communities give those assholes the anonymity to act out their anti-social tendencies without repercussions.
Yeah, there's that too. I guess social interaction isn't really a strength of the average gamer -- Not really shocking, all things considered.
Hopefully these "Online Elements" won't be a major thing in the game, where there would be many things missing apart the single player experience. Maybe something similar to what Gwent is to the Witcher 3.

But even then, I do hope that Cyberpunk 2077 won't be the only one game which could appease my starving for everything related to Blade Runner and Cyberpunk at a larger scale in the future years. Because before "2049", I didn't realize how much I was in need.
MrFortyFive: Is this surprising? Most people expect some kind of online integration in games these days. There's no way it won't take advantage of every feature Galaxy has to offer as a flagship title to get more people to the platform. As long as all this compliments the game rather than dominates it (aka don't be like Battlefront 2) and remain optional, I don't see why they can't please that crowd as well as the hardcore DRM-free GOG crowd.
That's the question: Can they please both crowds? And do they even want/ need to? I get the impression GOG's old hardcore anti-DRM customer base is steadily losing significance. And their new target audience is potentially more profitable and easier to please.
GR00T: Was there ever any promise that Cyberpunk would even be DRM-free? Because I guess we're all assuming it will be released DRM-free on GOG, but I don't recall there ever being an assurance that it would. They could very well saddle it with required Galaxy, not sell it on GOG at all, and have all the mandatory on-line features they want. Just because it's CDPR doesn't really mean it has to show up here.
Given Witcher 3's DRM-free success, and all the positive media attention and customer goodwill they received for it, I'd be quite surprised if their next game didn't show up here. However, I suspect it will be a "Galaxy and Online features are completely optional™, but..." kinda deal.
Post edited November 14, 2017 by CharlesGrey
CharlesGrey: Given Witcher 3's DRM-free success, and all the positive media attention and customer goodwill they received for it, I'd be quite surprised if their next game didn't show up here. However, I suspect it will be a "Galaxy and Online features are completely optional™, but..." kinda deal.
Yeah, I'm just kind of playing Devil's Advocate - because we're all assuming it will be released on GOG DRM-free.