It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

j0ekerr: AAARGH! A ß! KILL IT, KILL IT WITH NUCLEAR FIRE!
What...that's how his name is spelled...

Edit: Cool the forum can even handle the capital version ẞ ;P
AgentBirdnest: I was a perfect math student until halfway though 8th grade, when we started trigonometry. I failed the test miserably, threw up in class, and dropped out. But at least I didn't have to watch episodes of Oprah that our math teacher recorded for us anymore :-p
Haha, well that's a spectacular exit at least. :P

I sucked at maths the first few years of high school. It was terrible. I got insufficients for everything and because the teacher hated me she refused to help. After two years I got a different teacher who was slightly more helpful, at which point I started averaging 6 out of 10 ish, which was sufficient. Then, halfway through my fourth year of high school she had a nervous breakdown and we were assigned another teacher. Let me tell you, that man was my hero. For the first time ever I actually got what the teacher was explaining. And not only that, but he made all the answers and explanations to our homework available on the internet. So, whenever I got stuck, I'd just go look at the answer and explanation, and after seeing the same type of calculation a few times it would click in my mind. Suddenly maths went from my most hated to my most loved subject. :)
FearfulSymmetry: Hmm, I remember struggling to remember how to do the ß on a keyboard when I was still taking German, but something must have stuck because I got it right just now ...
Well we do have a key for the lowercase one :P
But you need both hands to write the capital one xD
Post edited October 30, 2015 by ElTerprise
ElTerprise: Well we do have a key for the lowercase one :P
But you need both hands to write the capital one xD
I don't have that fancy key. :P For me it's alt gr + s. :)
FearfulSymmetry: Haha, well that's a spectacular exit at least. :P

I sucked at maths the first few years of high school. It was terrible. I got insufficients for everything and because the teacher hated me she refused to help. After two years I got a different teacher who was slightly more helpful, at which point I started averaging 6 out of 10 ish, which was sufficient. Then, halfway through my fourth year of high school she had a nervous breakdown and we were assigned another teacher. Let me tell you, that man was my hero. For the first time ever I actually got what the teacher was explaining. And not only that, but he made all the answers and explanations to our homework available on the internet. So, whenever I got stuck, I'd just go look at the answer and explanation, and after seeing the same type of calculation a few times it would click in my mind. Suddenly maths went from my most hated to my most loved subject. :)
Lucky you were able to have such a great teacher! I don't like to throw around the term "horrible fucking asshole" very often, but I make an exception for my math teacher. I went back to school the next year, and my new math teacher was an old guy who was on painkillers all the time, which was pretty funny, but not very educational :-p
Never loved the subject at all though, even when I was good at it.
AgentBirdnest: Lucky you were able to have such a great teacher! I don't like to throw around the term "horrible fucking asshole" very often, but I make an exception for my math teacher. I went back to school the next year, and my new math teacher was an old guy who was on painkillers all the time, which was pretty funny, but not very educational :-p
Never loved the subject at all though, even when I was good at it.
Yep, it was a real lucky break. This man was hilarious. You wouldn't tell it to look at him - he was elderly and looked school book boring, but once you actually got to know him he was very funny. I think the fact that I started liking maths so much was largely because it had become a type of entertainment. :P Of course it also helped that I could get away with murder in class as I was in the school council together with that teacher and he needed me to take minutes of the meetings because none of the responsible adults would take the freaking job. ;)

Yep, a lot is dependent on whether you have a good teacher or a bad one. Some of it is inevitably down to innate affinity with the subject but a teacher can go a long way towards lowering or raising your grade.
*hugs everyone*
FearfulSymmetry: Yep, it was a real lucky break. This man was hilarious. You wouldn't tell it to look at him - he was elderly and looked school book boring, but once you actually got to know him he was very funny. I think the fact that I started liking maths so much was largely because it had become a type of entertainment. :P Of course it also helped that I could get away with murder in class as I was in the school council together with that teacher and he needed me to take minutes of the meetings because none of the responsible adults would take the freaking job. ;)

Yep, a lot is dependent on whether you have a good teacher or a bad one. Some of it is inevitably down to innate affinity with the subject but a teacher can go a long way towards lowering or raising your grade.
I had a few teachers like that in other subjects. I wasn't the biggest fan of my woodworking class, but halfway through the year I got a new teacher that was a really pleasant guy. He had quite an adventurous life and would often spend most of the hour telling us random stories while we were working. Really helpful guy too, both in and out of the classroom. He was one of those teachers that made school more bearable.

Haha... so you were a teacher's pet? :-p I had a neighbor who would occasionally substitute teach our classes, and I could do pretty much anything I wanted when she did n__n
pimpmonkey2382.313: *hugs everyone*
*big return hug for Mr Onkey* ;-)
Post edited October 30, 2015 by AgentBirdnest
FearfulSymmetry: Yep, it was a real lucky break. This man was hilarious. You wouldn't tell it to look at him - he was elderly and looked school book boring, but once you actually got to know him he was very funny. I think the fact that I started liking maths so much was largely because it had become a type of entertainment. :P Of course it also helped that I could get away with murder in class as I was in the school council together with that teacher and he needed me to take minutes of the meetings because none of the responsible adults would take the freaking job. ;)

AgentBirdnest: I had a few teachers like that in other subjects. I wasn't the biggest fan of my woodworking class, but halfway through the year I got a new teacher that was a really pleasant guy. He had quite an adventurous life and would often spend most of the hour telling us random stories while we were working. Really helpful guy too, both in and out of the classroom. He was one of those teachers that made school more bearable.

Haha... so you were a teacher's pet? :-p I had a neighbor who would occasionally substitute teach our classes, and I could do pretty much anything I wanted when she did n__n
AgentBirdnest: *big return hug for Mr Onkey* ;-)
How are you agent? :)
Hey, how are you? *hugs*

AgentBirdnest: I had a few teachers like that in other subjects. I wasn't the biggest fan of my woodworking class, but halfway through the year I got a new teacher that was a really pleasant guy. He had quite an adventurous life and would often spend most of the hour telling us random stories while we were working. Really helpful guy too, both in and out of the classroom. He was one of those teachers that made school more bearable.

Those are the good ones. Teachers like that stick with you and really help you make the most of what they're teaching.

I was pretty much every teacher's pet. :P That was largely due to me being a good student as well as someone who was heavily involved in student/school/school group councils, the school paper, the year book committee and all that stuff. The teachers who didn't know me that well thought I was an angelic model student. The ones that did know me liked my sarcastic wit and brazenness. I once told a teacher to fuck off and all it did was get a laugh out of him. He'd sent people to detention for far less. :P Of course there were also some teachers I didn't get along with, and whenever I don't get along with someone it tends to be pretty bad, bordering on instant unexplained hate on both sides. :P
pimpmonkey2382.313: How are you agent? :)
Doin' alright. Starting to get a bit tired, but feeling generally pleasant. How about yourself?
FearfulSymmetry: I don't have that fancy key. :P For me it's alt gr + s. :)
Well that's okay...unlike the combination to get ẞ on a german keyboard which is Alt Gr + Shift + ß (which is the key right to the 0) o.O...
ElTerprise: Well that's okay...unlike the combination to get ẞ on a german keyboard which is Alt Gr + Shift + ß (which is the key right to the 0) o.O...
I just tried that and got this: § (or well, with s rather than ß since I don't have a key for that)

No idea how to do the capital ß. :P
Post edited October 30, 2015 by FearfulSymmetry
FearfulSymmetry: I was pretty much every teacher's pet. :P That was largely due to me being a good student as well as someone who was heavily involved in student/school/school group councils, the school paper, the year book committee and all that stuff. The teachers who didn't know me that well thought I was an angelic model student. The ones that did know me liked my sarcastic wit and brazenness. I once told a teacher to fuck off and all it did was get a laugh out of him. He'd sent people to detention for far less. :P Of course there were also some teachers I didn't get along with, and whenever I don't get along with someone it tends to be pretty bad, bordering on instant unexplained hate on both sides. :P
Goodness ô__ô Telling a teacher to "fuck off" where I'm from would probably get you kicked out of the city ;-p
I didn't do any extra stuff like student councils, but I was always a perfect and well behaved student. I did take little breaks from that routine when substitutes would show up though. They were likely to only see me once, so I was one of those nasty kids that would take advantage of that fact (the blood-sneeze was totally unintentional though, I swear!)
FearfulSymmetry: I just tried that and got this: §

No idea how to do the capital ß. :P
Well it's a seldom used letter anyway...but it's a unicode letter..maybe it's only available via Alt-code....
the lowercase ß is ALT + 225 (numpad)

But then again the ẞ is not part of the offical German orthography...but i like it :P
Post edited October 30, 2015 by ElTerprise