It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AgentBirdnest: Goodness ô__ô Telling a teacher to "fuck off" where I'm from would probably get you kicked out of the city ;-p
I didn't do any extra stuff like student councils, but I was always a perfect and well behaved student. I did take little breaks from that routine when substitutes would show up though. They were likely to only see me once, so I was one of those nasty kids that would take advantage of that fact (the blood-sneeze was totally unintentional though, I swear!)
Dutch teachers appreciate openness, as long as they get the sense that you do respect them overall. I can never get used to the American way of doing things. There's one American professor in my department and she always trips new students up. She'll check your essay and tell you "oh, it's a good essay, maybe work a bit on some of these points, but it's very nice", after which every Dutch student thinks: "good, my work hardly needs revising". Then they hand it in and get an insufficient grade. As it turns out, her delicate way of criticism isn't even a bleep on the radar of Dutch people. :P In high school a couple of teachers from the UK would come over for a few weeks each year to take over a few classes. They were always completely astounded the first week because everyone was so talkative and open (or impolite :P), something to which they weren't used at all. In the end they usually liked it, though. :P

I was in pretty much every thing ever. They made me the honorary student when I finished high school and told me in their speech that it was hard to form a committee to appoint me as I was already always sticking my nose in everything. :P It was mostly because school was easy for me and my home life was awful at that point. Throwing myself into all those stupid little councils was what kept me from succumbing to complete depression.

Blood-sneeze? That sounds kind of creepy. o.o What happened?
ElTerprise: Well it's a seldom used letter anyway...but it's a unicode letter..maybe it's only available via Alt-code....
the lowercase ß is ALT + 225 (numpad)
Ah yes, the elusive numpad. My wireless keyboard doesn't have one (although my laptop keyboard does, oddly enough). :P But you're right, I just tried it and that does indeed produce the ß.
Post edited October 30, 2015 by FearfulSymmetry
pimpmonkey2382.313: *hugs everyone*
FearfulSymmetry: Hey, how are you? *hugs*

AgentBirdnest: I had a few teachers like that in other subjects. I wasn't the biggest fan of my woodworking class, but halfway through the year I got a new teacher that was a really pleasant guy. He had quite an adventurous life and would often spend most of the hour telling us random stories while we were working. Really helpful guy too, both in and out of the classroom. He was one of those teachers that made school more bearable.

Haha... so you were a teacher's pet? :-p I had a neighbor who would occasionally substitute teach our classes, and I could do pretty much anything I wanted when she did n__n
FearfulSymmetry: Those are the good ones. Teachers like that stick with you and really help you make the most of what they're teaching.

I was pretty much every teacher's pet. :P That was largely due to me being a good student as well as someone who was heavily involved in student/school/school group councils, the school paper, the year book committee and all that stuff. The teachers who didn't know me that well thought I was an angelic model student. The ones that did know me liked my sarcastic wit and brazenness. I once told a teacher to fuck off and all it did was get a laugh out of him. He'd sent people to detention for far less. :P Of course there were also some teachers I didn't get along with, and whenever I don't get along with someone it tends to be pretty bad, bordering on instant unexplained hate on both sides. :P
Sleepy but pretty good and yourself?
pimpmonkey2382.313: How are you agent? :)
AgentBirdnest: Doin' alright. Starting to get a bit tired, but feeling generally pleasant. How about yourself?
Pretty sleepy myself. Frustrated with the pathologic HD codes and "free" upgrade while me being an owner also, somehow is getting nada.
Post edited October 30, 2015 by pimpmonkey2382.313
This is going to sound weird but how would one describe a woman who is very open sexually in an academic term? I'm talking about someone who sleeps around with everyone but in a society in which this is accepted. I can't think of a passable word and I need it for an essay. :P

pimpmonkey2382.313: Sleepy but pretty good and yourself?
Not doing too well physically but my mood is fine. I need to put the finishing touches to my essay and then I'm off to bed. :P
FearfulSymmetry: Ah yes, the elusive numpad. My wireless keyboard doesn't have one (although my laptop keyboard does, oddly enough). :P But you're right, I just tried it and that does indeed produce the ß.
Yes. It's actually quite nice to use Alt codes for special letters like the "™" or "ç" when writing in french :P
That's odd indeed :)
Actually the numpad is preferred choice when typing numbers :)
ElTerprise: Yes. It's actually quite nice to use Alt codes for special letters like the "™" or "ç" when writing in french :P
That's odd indeed :)
Actually the numpad is preferred choice when typing numbers :)
Maybe I need to learn some of those combinations, then. :)

Well, most laptops don't have a numpad I think, but mine does, for some reason. Meanwhile, my normal wireless keyboard (which is admittedly a cheap one) lacks the numpad. Then again, it does have a touch pad, so perhaps the numpad had to go to make room for the touch pad ...

These are some serious contemplations about numpads. :P
FearfulSymmetry: This is going to sound weird but how would one describe a woman who is very open sexually in an academic term? I'm talking about someone who sleeps around with everyone but in a society in which this is accepted. I can't think of a passable word and I need it for an essay. :P

pimpmonkey2382.313: Sleepy but pretty good and yourself?
FearfulSymmetry: Not doing too well physically but my mood is fine. I need to put the finishing touches to my essay and then I'm off to bed. :P
I'm sorry. :( I hope you feel better soon.
FearfulSymmetry: This is going to sound weird but how would one describe a woman who is very open sexually in an academic term? I'm talking about someone who sleeps around with everyone but in a society in which this is accepted. I can't think of a passable word and I need it for an essay. :P
What about promiscuous?
At least the German translation sounds way better than some synonyms :P
Post edited October 30, 2015 by ElTerprise
FearfulSymmetry: Dutch teachers appreciate openness, as long as they get the sense that you do respect them overall. I can never get used to the American way of doing things. There's one American professor in my department and she always trips new students up. She'll check your essay and tell you "oh, it's a good essay, maybe work a bit on some of these points, but it's very nice", after which every Dutch student thinks: "good, my work hardly needs revising". Then they hand it in and get an insufficient grade. As it turns out, her delicate way of criticism isn't even a bleep on the radar of Dutch people. :P In high school a couple of teachers from the UK would come over for a few weeks each year to take over a few classes. They were always completely astounded the first week because everyone was so talkative and open (or impolite :P), something to which they weren't used at all. In the end they usually liked it, though. :P

I was in pretty much every thing ever. They made me the honorary student when I finished high school and told me in their speech that it was hard to form a committee to appoint me as I was already always sticking my nose in everything. :P It was mostly because school was easy for me and my home life was awful at that point. Throwing myself into all those stupid little councils was what kept me from succumbing to complete depression.

Talkative and open? Never heard of it.
Here, the routine is usually this: The teacher tells you to read pages 114-127 and answer the questions. The teacher will keep their head down on their desk for the rest of class as they try to deal with a hangover. Then they will have the students grade their own papers. The only time they ever really interact with the students at all is to tell them to shut up and send some to detention. (Only about 82% of teachers. The other 18% aren't bad.)

Haha... I suppose it wouldn't be fair to be in that committee, no :-p Hopefully things are a bit better with home life these days?

Blood-sneeze was... well... I sneezed blood. The substitute teacher thought I did it on purpose (how the hell would I? o__O) I was fine, thought it was quite freaky for a minute.
pimpmonkey2382.313: Pretty sleepy myself. Frustrated with the pathologic HD codes and "free" upgrade while me being an owner also, somehow is getting nada.
I'd definitely be frustrated too. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly™.
Post edited October 30, 2015 by AgentBirdnest
FearfulSymmetry: Maybe I need to learn some of those combinations, then. :)

Well, most laptops don't have a numpad I think, but mine does, for some reason. Meanwhile, my normal wireless keyboard (which is admittedly a cheap one) lacks the numpad. Then again, it does have a touch pad, so perhaps the numpad had to go to make room for the touch pad ...

These are some serious contemplations about numpads. :P
Well aside from few i actually knew i usually google for them when i need them ;)

I know. But mine also has a numpad. That's an explanation...wouldn't be anything for me though...not a friend of touchpads :)
FearfulSymmetry: Dutch teachers appreciate openness, as long as they get the sense that you do respect them overall. I can never get used to the American way of doing things. There's one American professor in my department and she always trips new students up. She'll check your essay and tell you "oh, it's a good essay, maybe work a bit on some of these points, but it's very nice", after which every Dutch student thinks: "good, my work hardly needs revising". Then they hand it in and get an insufficient grade. As it turns out, her delicate way of criticism isn't even a bleep on the radar of Dutch people. :P In high school a couple of teachers from the UK would come over for a few weeks each year to take over a few classes. They were always completely astounded the first week because everyone was so talkative and open (or impolite :P), something to which they weren't used at all. In the end they usually liked it, though. :P

AgentBirdnest: Talkative and open? Never heard of it.
Here, the routine is usually this: The teacher tells you to read pages 114-127 and answer the questions. The teacher will keep their head down on their desk for the rest of class as they try to deal with a hangover. Then they will have the students grade their own papers. The only time they ever really interact with the students at all is to tell them to shut up and send some to detention. (Only about 82% of teachers. The other 18% aren't bad.)

Haha... I suppose it wouldn't be fair to be in that committee, no :-p Hopefully things are a bit better with home life these days?

Blood-sneeze was... well... I sneezed blood. The substitute teacher thought I did it on purpose (how the hell would I? o__O) I was fine, thought it was quite freaky for a minute.
pimpmonkey2382.313: Pretty sleepy myself. Frustrated with the pathologic HD codes and "free" upgrade while me being an owner also, somehow is getting nada.
AgentBirdnest: I'd definitely be frustrated too. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly™.
I wrote support they basically said to do what I've already tried a million times.
pimpmonkey2382.313: I'm sorry. :( I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. :)

ElTerprise: What about promiscuous?
At least the German translation sounds way better than some synonyms :P
I thought about that but it doesn't quite fit in my essay. Think I'll stick with sexually liberated for now, for lack of a better word.

Yep, I'm a literature student, all right. One week I'm discussing a penis in my essay and the next it's promiscuous women. :P
I notice that I swear a bit more often without DD and Owl here to kick my arse :-p

I'm sure Moon will report all of my cursing to them though, since she was ordered to make sure we behave. I should be careful ',',',',',:-|
Ixamyakxim: Well, Outlast is a pretty fucked up game. I already had a few *jump back in my chair and audibly shout "Whooooo"* moments. I don't think I've ever done that before, game (for sure) OR movie.

I need a mental break.
CarrionCrow: You don't need a break. What you need is a couple pots of coffee, just for that added anxiety kick. ;)
LOL I wish I caught this the first go around! If I have the inclination to be cracked out on coffee until all hours of the dawn I might give this a go ;)
FearfulSymmetry: I thought about that but it doesn't quite fit in my essay. Think I'll stick with sexually liberated for now, for lack of a better word.

Yep, I'm a literature student, all right. One week I'm discussing a penis in my essay and the next it's promiscuous women. :P
Would "sexually emancipated" also work?

Well the human body has a lot to offer :P
AgentBirdnest: Talkative and open? Never heard of it.

Whaaaaaaat. You grade your own essays? What kind of paradise is this you speak of? And reading is something you do at home here, not in class. :P Most of my teachers are the complete opposite, both in high school and university. One of my professors is so hyperactive he's all over the classroom. He climbed up onto a windowsill that was at least eye height once, and he also messed around enough while sitting on a table to fall over, table and all. And especially in university they're constantly trying to engage you in deep conversations about everything. :P

I moved out, after which things promptly got a lot better. Had the good sense to move to the other end of the country, too. ;) Family is a lot easier to deal with when you don't have to see them all the time.

Yes, how does one sneeze blood on purpose? I guess that would require quite a lot of effort. :P Spooky, I can imagine you were a bit freaked out.
ElTerprise: Well aside from few i actually knew i usually google for them when i need them ;)

I know. But mine also has a numpad. That's an explanation...wouldn't be anything for me though...not a friend of touchpads :)
I don't have a wireless mouse so this is the only way I can operate my computer when it's hooked up to the TV. :P

AgentBirdnest: I notice that I swear a bit more often without DD and Owl here to kick my arse :-p

I'm sure Moon will report all of my cursing to them though, since she was ordered to make sure we behave. I should be careful ',',',',',:-|
I've been needing to curb my foul language quite a bit on here recently and even so I feel like I'm cursing a bit too much. :P

ElTerprise: Would "sexually emancipated" also work?

Well the human body has a lot to offer :P
Maybe ...

Oh yes. Especially in medieval monster stories. In case you don't know: women are the ickiest creatures ever. They get pregnant and all. Disgusting stuff (according to these authors). ;)
Post edited October 30, 2015 by FearfulSymmetry